User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 20 Nov 2004, 02:13   #1
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
Sleep (or lack thereof)

The proplus thread reminded me of another discussion from a while back.

What's the most you've ever been without sleep? and how were you feeling by the time you did sleep (or passout lol)?

I could only manage two days. The first 24 hours I recall being easy, by morning I was no longer tired. Felt fine the remainder of the time until closer to midnight I felt a little tired but once again that eventually wore off. I didn't really notice anything till it started to approach late of a nighttime then I started feeling seriously tired and had real trouble keeping my eyes open. I was also slightly delusional and incoherrent, it was like being really really drunk. It approached twilight hours of the next morning and I decided finally to goto bed, which infact took a while as despite being tired I couldn't get to sleep. I don't recall actually managing to drift into sleep so much as passout.

I woke up much later feeling very refreshed and full of energy again. Looking at the clock I noticed it was 10pm, hmm must have slept around 16 hours I thought. Got out of bed and went into the loungeroom to watch a bit of late Saturday night TV. Mum entered the loungeroom and commented on how I had been asleep a while, 'not really that long' I said. She then pointed out it was Sunday.. HOLY ****!! I thought, I'd just slept 40 hours, an entire day slipped by without noticing lol.

I recall some people saying they've spent entire weeks without sleep, which amazes me when I think about my experience, I just don't know how people can go that long without falling into a coma or something heh
Unread 20 Nov 2004, 02:22   #2
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: Sleep (or lack thereof)

I think the most I have gone without sleep is nearly 3 days. I was on holiday in America, had to get up at around 8am to make checkin but when we got to the airport they just kept delaying our flight and in the end it didn't leave till 1am. We arrived back in Britain about 25/26 hours after I had woken up, 3pm BST, and in order not to be awake all night I decided to stay awake rather than have a nap or anything. Unfortunatly I was unable to sleep that night so ended up awake all then as well. I eventually got to sleep at about midnight the next day.

I can't remember having any weird side effects from it though and when I did sleep it was only for about 12 hours.
Unread 20 Nov 2004, 02:27   #3
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

When I won the round 6 (or was it 4? whatever) beta and my girlfriend left me for someone else, yes I was that pathetic but nevertheless happy it went like that.

3 days.
Unread 20 Nov 2004, 02:29   #4
Nondescript Human
nondescript human

Nondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant future

The most I've had to go without sleep is only 40-45 hours, though that is without having taken anything to help me along except a cup of coffee or two.
Nondescript Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Nov 2004, 10:14   #5
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Sarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriend

I'm useless without sleep. I can only recall one instance where I went a night without sleep without feeling like I was going to die, and that was the night of the 1997 general election when I was at a massive party in Edinburgh to watch the results come in. I was on such a high (I actually thought Labour were good back then) and everyone else around me kept me going.

In my sleep I grind my teeth.
Sarina_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Nov 2004, 11:54   #6
slick
Last Of The Soul Reaver

slick is on a distinguished road

7 days. study of body through lack of sleep. hallucinations. not nice. dont do it.

i had to keep my self awake.. although i lost 1 stone... i was very happy... lol

You're just jealous coz the voices are talking to me!

Rimmer: Step Up To Red Alet!
Kryten: Are You Sure Sir, It Does Mean Changing The Bulb!

Death to the deamoness Allegra Gellar!
slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2004, 00:45   #7
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

I decided against reading your post but...
Thom Yorke, the lead singer of the world famous band Radiohead, said that lack of sleep is his major catalyst for creating such pleasant music.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2004, 06:56   #8
JBOY
Retired

JBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to all

7 days, 4 hours.
started seeing things, hearing things, went totally numb all over, totally zombified.
Then i collapsed, slept for 18 hours, got up for an hour, slept for another 12 hours, got up for 3 hours, then slept for another 9 hours.
Unread 21 Nov 2004, 07:09   #9
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBOY
7 days, 4 hours.
started seeing things, hearing things, went totally numb all over, totally zombified.
Then i collapsed, slept for 18 hours, got up for an hour, slept for another 12 hours, got up for 3 hours, then slept for another 9 hours.

See.. this is crazy, I still can't see how people can remain sleepless for this long. I gather some people just have a higher tolerance. Even by my second day I could barely be considered 'awake' more just as you say zombified.
Unread 21 Nov 2004, 19:06   #10
Flayer
Wankoverable

Flayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of light

7 days my arse, thats physically impossible.
Unread 21 Nov 2004, 20:12   #11
TheBerk
dazed and confused

TheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant future

not impossible
Unread 21 Nov 2004, 20:27   #12
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

I went two weeks without sleep not so long ago. I wasn't even that tired, just couldn't sleep. When I finally did sleep I only slept about 16 hours the first night then the normal eight after that.

Not that this was normal behaviour, I was in the middle of a nervous breakdown at the time.
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2004, 20:33   #13
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

This thread has been done before, but my experiences are similar to Sarina.

I can go without sleep (especially if caffeine is involved) but I hate it. I love sleep, it's one life's simple pleasures (like eating). I don't understand how people can regularly deprive themselves of sleep.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2004, 22:10   #14
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

33 hours. Straight. Most of which was in front of a computer screen.
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2004, 22:15   #15
TheBerk
dazed and confused

TheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant future

oh yeah, 40 hrs..
i forgot to go to sleep
no drugs or caffeine were involved
Unread 22 Nov 2004, 00:59   #16
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

yes, this thread has been done before. by me in fact

http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=179112
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote