User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 17 Nov 2004, 11:37   #51
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: Ha Guys, HL2 is coming out soon.

On which server are you playing? I am on East 18, level 9 Night Elf Priest. Don't have a lot of time to play though. Also I have to relog every damn 20 minutes due to lag. I guess that has to do with the fact I am playing from the EU on the US servers.
Unread 17 Nov 2004, 11:44   #52
Pyr0 MK III
Look! He's Dancing!

Pyr0 MK III is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday8pm
I didn't like HL, I however Loved CS and HL DM and TFC.

I suspect I won't like HL2, I supsect I'll love it's DM options and mods.

Someone do fill me in on how the multi-player plays.

That all said I'm totally hooked on World of Warcraft at the moment (hence my non exsistant posting).
There is no multiplayer in Half Life 2. Instead they have provided us with Counter-Strike: Source

(counter strike but with much fancier graphics and physics)

Edit: that doesnt mean that every man and his dog wont soon have created DM mods
[22:18] <nodrog> Cock: 8" (20cm) uncut
[22:18] <nodrog> Balls: Large hefty balls, stretched max 6" (15.5cm)
[22:18] <nodrog> Arse: Can take two fists, or one fist almost to the elbow, but slow warming up.
Pyr0 MK III is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Nov 2004, 12:32   #53
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

I'm much less hopeful after hearing that.

From the demos the physics, graphics etc etc all looked fab. However I hated HL 1 due to piss-poor storyline and un-imaginative scripting. I can only hope they've improved in those areas.

However the lack of multiplayer out of box makes it far less attractive from a re-playability standpoint.

I certainly dont see the bundling of CS: source a strong point as I feel CS is possibly the worst game ever.
Unread 17 Nov 2004, 13:44   #54
Pyr0 MK III
Look! He's Dancing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbass
I certainly dont see the bundling of CS: source a strong point as I feel CS is possibly the worst game ever.
I grew to hate the old CS, but I love CS:S.
[22:18] <nodrog> Arse: Can take two fists, or one fist almost to the elbow, but slow warming up.
Unread 17 Nov 2004, 13:47   #55
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Ditto.

Plus, last night our flat suffered a power cut, didn't get the leccy back till half 9 this morning. ****ers. Not even sure my PC still works, didn't have time to turn it on.

It did however give me an excuse to go drinking.
Unread 17 Nov 2004, 17:17   #56
at0mic.c0w
Käptn Karacho

at0mic.c0w is on a distinguished road

i'm on the buggy now - HL2 is like a wet dream come true

PS: fvck you Steam, fvck you
Unread 17 Nov 2004, 23:42   #57
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society

http://gallery.legionhq.org/view_pho..._prison_070001

SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND
Unread 18 Nov 2004, 04:31   #58
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Up to "Our Benefactors", the level before it was amazing, loads of guerrilla street fighting, taking on striders with a rag tag squad was one of the best experiences I’ve had in a computer game, they’ve really outdone themselves, the AI is amazing in those battle sequences just putting the striders and soldiers in an area with totally deformable terrain and letting them run wild, this game is a dream come true.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Nov 2004, 10:18   #59
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

hehehe, firing saw blades through multiple zombies is excellent. chopchopchopchopchopchopchop

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Nov 2004, 12:03   #60
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks
Up to "Our Benefactors", the level before it was amazing, loads of guerrilla street fighting, taking on striders with a rag tag squad was one of the best experiences I’ve had in a computer game, they’ve really outdone themselves, the AI is amazing in those battle sequences just putting the striders and soldiers in an area with totally deformable terrain and letting them run wild, this game is a dream come true.
Completely agree, at one point I was hiding behind one of the Combine car things, thinking 'I'm safe here'

Suddenly a strider boots it straight up in the air and zaps me with that laser thing, you cant underestimate the AI.

Our Benefactors hosts probably my favourite level of all though, not for the action, but for the sheer amazing mapping.
Unread 18 Nov 2004, 12:27   #61
Mek
InSomniac

Mek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to behold

am so jealous

Runner up in the InSomnia 'Drunkest HC' competition - Currently on the wagon

Elysium | HR | eXilition | OuZo | ND | InSomnia | DLR

db battlegroup founder and spiritual leader

Sexytime HC of Belgians (#s3xytime)

Not so retired anymore....
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Nov 2004, 12:40   #62
Mek
InSomniac

Mek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to behold

i have a pentium 4 1.8 ghz, 256 meg of ram and a Nvidia TNT2 64 Pro graphics card..

will this be enough to run the game at a good speed or not??

help me, am in a dilemma wether or not to buy HL2.. dont wanna buy to have to take ti straight back to the damn shop

Runner up in the InSomnia 'Drunkest HC' competition - Currently on the wagon

Elysium | HR | eXilition | OuZo | ND | InSomnia | DLR

db battlegroup founder and spiritual leader

Sexytime HC of Belgians (#s3xytime)

Not so retired anymore....
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Nov 2004, 13:51   #63
Pyr0 MK III
Look! He's Dancing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mek
i have a pentium 4 1.8 ghz, 256 meg of ram and a Nvidia TNT2 64 Pro graphics card..

help me, am in a dilemma wether or not to buy HL2.. dont wanna buy to have to take ti straight back to the damn shop
Might be.

Minimum System Configuration

1.2 GHz Processor
256MB RAM
DirectX 7 capable graphics card
Windows 2000/XP/ME/98
Mouse
Keyboard
Internet Connection

Preferred System Configuration

2.4 GHz Processor
512MB RAM
DirectX 9 capable graphics card
Windows 2000/XP/ME/98
Mouse
Keyboard
Internet Connection
Unread 18 Nov 2004, 15:58   #64
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Oh and Mark, Half-Life was average, to me at least. It may have been technically stunning and all that jazz but I found it deathly dull to play, the few times I had the misfortune to do so.
Whilst I respect your personal preference, I must point out that the comment that I was replying to was generic: 'no reason to look forward to sequels to average games'. Whilst that statement may well be accurate, the application of it to Half Life was flawed; the individual may think it poor, however the unprecedented critical and commercial success implies that this is a minority view, and to wonder why so many people were looking forward to a sequel to a game which they, almost certainly, found extremely versed in the quality known as 'good', is lunacy.

Also, the technical achievement was nothing to do with its success; only the AI was a real advance over what was available around that time (Half Life was an updated version of the Quake I engine, remember, and Unreal came out shortly after, and raised the bar considerably in terms of T&L and all that jazz). It was the gameplay that made the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSmoke
I tried Half-life for about 15 minutes until I noticed it involves running through annoying corridors and killing stupid aliens. I've got Halo for the x-box, looks pretty decent but I can't be arsed to play it really. Since Doom and maybe Quake I have the feeling I've seen all first person shooters already.
I'm suprised you can't see the difference. The more puzzle-solving orientated style of play, the increased intelligence from the enemies, the increased variety, the way the entire game was designed: if all you were looking for was the ability to fire a gun at some kind of monster, then, yes, Half Life adds only the weapon set. But if you're looking towards a more complete Gaming Experience... Even small touches, such as the believability of the placement of puzzle solutions, make the game distinct from anything before, or, to a degree, hence.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Nov 2004, 16:12   #65
Sunday8pm
Banned

Sunday8pm is an unknown quantity at this point

I almost certainly only bought HL for the features of Counterstrike and TFC and it's other DM mods, I know a few others who did the same, to blindly suggest that it's commercial success revolved around the fact you believe you can find a greater depth to how the game was coded than how we wanted to be entertained is arrogant to say the least.

For me AI will be nothing compared to playing against other sentient beings, hence FPS single players have always been vastly insignificant to me with regards to amazement... If you want pinnacle of AI achievement... Wolfenstein 3D with the mobs actually chasing you through doors, for it's time, amazing, everything else has been developments made too late with regards to the multiplayer and internet enviroment available to gamers everywhere.

So insist all you want about the single player being wonderful for HL, I found it dreadly dull like a lot of people I met on-line playing the various HL DM mods conferred with me about.
Sunday8pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Nov 2004, 16:37   #66
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
to blindly suggest that it's commercial success revolved around the fact you believe you can find a greater depth to how the game was coded than how we wanted to be entertained is arrogant to say the least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Also, the technical achievement was nothing to do with its success
Silence, vermin! I am in command here! Do you read? CAN YOU READ? DO YOU HAVE THUMBS?

Quote:
For me AI will be nothing compared to playing against other sentient beings, hence FPS single players have always been vastly insignificant to me with regards to amazement...
Some of us don't have the internet on all the time, or at fast enough speeds. Furthermore, whilst online gaming is enjoyable, it lacks the pacing or the balance of a good single player mode, or at least the reliability of having those properties.

In addition to my previous post, let us not forget that Half Life did have quite a technological jump in terms of multiplayer gaming; the proper interface for mods and internet games was quite the breakthrough.

Would Half Life have been as successful without CS? Certainly not. However, given that CS came fairly late in the day (if HL had a normal cycle, anyhoo), and the fact that, up until now, noone I had conversed with, who enjoyed the FPS genre, on the topic of Half Life single player had expressed anything except admiration, so you're all wierd.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Nov 2004, 17:26   #67
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mek

well I am running on a 1.4Gig athlon with 384Mb ram (one 256Mb card half died) Radeon Atlantis 2600 and it works like a dream, apart from the occasional crash. I get some odd bugs too, such as scripted conversations getting screwed up. not sure whether that is the fault of my PC or the game.

Unread 18 Nov 2004, 17:28   #68
Radical Edward

Quote:
Originally Posted by at0mic.c0w
i'm on the buggy now - HL2 is like a wet dream come true

PS: fvck you Steam, fvck you
the buggy deserves a thumbs up.

Unread 19 Nov 2004, 06:56   #69
Psi_K
Canadian to the Core

Psi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical Edward
the buggy deserves a thumbs up.
Are we refering to the water thingy that gets a gun?
Cuz that things a bitch to control
r18-19 [eXi]
<Intermission>
r31-32 [CT] - r33-35 [DLR] - r36 [VsN] - r37 [???]
r45-46 [FAnG]
Psi_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Nov 2004, 08:24   #70
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
That all said I'm totally hooked on World of Warcraft at the moment (hence my non exsistant posting).
I guess we're back to posting now
Unread 19 Nov 2004, 08:53   #71
Radical Edward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi_K
Are we refering to the water thingy that gets a gun?
Cuz that things a bitch to control
no, there is a buggy later on when you are fighting againt the ant lions. I found the airboat quite easy to control actually. mercilessly driving straight through the combine is fun

Unread 19 Nov 2004, 11:12   #72
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Indeed, the little abseiling bastards.
Unread 19 Nov 2004, 12:41   #73
Sunday8pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
I guess we're back to posting now
Well the open beta has finished now and I have to wait till the 23rd till I can pick up my pre-ordered Collectors edition of the retail version of the game.
Unread 19 Nov 2004, 17:21   #74
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Well the open beta has finished now and I have to wait till the 23rd till I can pick up my pre-ordered Collectors edition of the retail version of the game.
Damn you to hell for being Canadian.

Et cetera.
Unread 19 Nov 2004, 20:29   #75
Sunday8pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
Damn you to hell for being Canadian.

Et cetera.
If you want I can post some url's to some screenies of my enjoyment, I went a troll ironically enough, admittedly I'm only running it on a GF4 MX440 64mb so it looks good but not sublime like it does on anything above a 9600 XT Ultra Radeon(there is a massive difference in looks but you'd never know cause it doesn't affect the gameplay).
Unread 20 Nov 2004, 12:18   #76
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Installing it now... ooo exciting!! This is the first game I actually bought in years.
Unread 20 Nov 2004, 15:15   #77
Rids
The Bad Guy

Quote:
If you want I can post some url's to some screenies of my enjoyment, I went a troll ironically enough, admittedly I'm only running it on a GF4 MX440 64mb so it looks good but not sublime like it does on anything above a 9600 XT Ultra Radeon(there is a massive difference in looks but you'd never know cause it doesn't affect the gameplay).
Its not too hard for us europeans to obtain WoW.

I'll be getting my copy on the 23rd, along with about, 50 other legion members. And since you can pay via paypal, the monthly fee isnt going to be too hard to manage either.

One thing I will say though, I find the graphics utter toss.
Unread 20 Nov 2004, 15:20   #78
Sunday8pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rids
Its not too hard for us europeans to obtain WoW.

I'll be getting my copy on the 23rd, along with about, 50 other legion members. And since you can pay via paypal, the monthly fee isnt going to be too hard to manage either.

One thing I will say though, I find the graphics utter toss.
Blizzard have stated if you don't have a North American Billing Address you are getting the boot no matter what you paid for.

I hope you have that base covered.
Unread 20 Nov 2004, 15:21   #79
Rids
The Bad Guy

Thats not an issue, fake US addresses are not too hard to come by, heh.
Unread 20 Nov 2004, 15:28   #80
Sunday8pm
Banned

Quote:
Thats not an issue, fake US addresses are not too hard to come by, heh.
Fair do's just don't let me know what server you are on or what nick you adopt cause I'd take unadultered glee at reporting you to blizzard and watching you get screwed out of almost a hundred quid.
Unread 20 Nov 2004, 15:33   #81
Rids
The Bad Guy

It would be extremely interesting watching you try. Since I'll be using a US verified paypal account, and paypal cannot release the address you have registered with them to Blizzard, I'd like to see how you could give them enough conclusive proof to get them to close the account.

Whats your opinion on the server situation though? I feel its utterly ****ing retarded to limit users to regions, and completely against the concept of large multinational guilds. Its the only thing I think Blizzard have really messed up on, but can that blame perhaps be shifted onto Vivendi, for being the cocks that they are.
Unread 20 Nov 2004, 15:49   #82
Sunday8pm
Banned

Quote:
It would be extremely interesting watching you try. Since I'll be using a US verified paypal account, and paypal cannot release the address you have registered with them to Blizzard, I'd like to see how you could give them enough conclusive proof to get them to close the account.

Whats your opinion on the server situation though? I feel its utterly ****ing retarded to limit users to regions, and completely against the concept of large multinational guilds. Its the only thing I think Blizzard have really messed up on, but can that blame perhaps be shifted onto Vivendi, for being the cocks that they are.
It seems Mr. Rids hasn't taken MMO Class 101.

First of All Blizzard will be able to trace your ip's, Second of all this is how a lot of companies run MMO's across the world.

You see maintaining the servers and running a massive MMO requires a lot of staff and a lot of localization to the area you are working in, as a result of this most MMO's that use nation forced servers deal with their game in a different manner.

Here is what they do, Blizzard will run all the North American Servers, they'll have their own guys maintaining the networks, running the patching, handling the customer support, but they do not have the numbers of people qualified in the languages and resident in the other countries they wish to run WoW in (Korea, Europe etc), here is what they do.

A company established in handling MMO's in the resident continents they want to expand too, will pay blizzard a fee plus royalties to run the servers in so and so a country, in return they get the subscription fees for themselves, they have to provide the quality of service, the staff etc, Blizzard just send them patches and tech advice and bills for royalties per month according to how many subscribers they have.

However Blizzard have to make a compromise here, You see these European guys who will be running the EU WoW servers will want to make sure they have all the available customer base they can get, if someone tells the EU guys that hey, these heavily european established guilds are playing on these North American servers, giving all their money to blizzard that you are losing out on, they will kick up all hell and get blizzard to kick them off, which blizzard will do cause to be honest they make more money than god and kicking off the 0.1% of the European WoW population playing on their servers will not make a jot of difference to how much they take money wise, you've already bought their game and it's not their worry if you don't resubscribe to the european servers that are ran by a contracted company.

So yes, it's something ALL MMO's take very seriously at least those who go the forced server route, I have seen it implemented very swiftly WHEN someone complains and points it out, you ARE on my bad side Rids (I don't take kindly to women beaters).

While you feel what they are doing is utterly retarded, MMO's are a very shakey business model to work and the only way to make them work with regards to banks being nice to them is how I've generally described(SoE don't have to worry cause they are SONY but others do).

Sufficit to say I will probably not go to the lengths of doing this unto you unless you insist on co-habitating the same Eastern Servers as me, Just know that if you ever get too bold or arrogant or lippy with someone on the NA servers and the pin drops that you aren't from NA, you can count on people being very very quick on getting you nailed.

p.s. I do agree with the server situation, Customer support is already hard to provide as it is, but with extra population not forecasted for the servers meaning less GM's per thousand people it degrades the value of NA's subscriptions.

p.p.s. Just as a heads up, some MMO providers that run forced servers are often cheap enough as to make sure the ISP they are with doesn't sell a lot of bandwith(at reasonable prices) to European ISPs even sometimes Canadian ISPs which has been a pain in the arse sometimes

Edit: With regards to the few guilds I know on NA WoW that have european members, some of the guild members have been kind enough to nominate themselves as a billing address for a couple of european guildies, they paypal the NA Guildie the money and he pays the subscription as it isn't uncommon to have 2-3 Subscriptions from the same billing address, this is pretty much a fullproof way, entering fake details in your registration is as simple as me making a report to blizzard saying you have submitted false details in your registration, which is instant perma ban with no review of case and account permanently deleted.

Last edited by Sunday8pm; 20 Nov 2004 at 16:00.
Unread 20 Nov 2004, 16:01   #83
Rids
The Bad Guy

Quote:
you ARE on my bad side Rids (I don't take kindly to women beaters).
I'll address the rest of your post in a second, but please let me point out that I have never ever raised my hands to a woman in my life you soppy ****.
Unread 20 Nov 2004, 16:23   #84
Sunday8pm
Banned

Quote:
I'll address the rest of your post in a second, but please let me point out that I have never ever raised my hands to a woman in my life you soppy ****.
That's ok, if you weren't in denial it'd rile me even more.

That said my post is more genuinely helpful than spiteful, MMO's do take false details on regristration VERY SERIOUSLY and it's the easiest and I really do mean EASIEST way to nail someone, and North American's get EXTREMELY Petty in a competitive sense on MMO's.
Unread 20 Nov 2004, 16:39   #85
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
It seems Mr. Rids hasn't taken MMO Class 101.

First of All Blizzard will be able to trace your ip's, Second of all this is how a lot of companies run MMO's across the world.

You see maintaining the servers and running a massive MMO requires a lot of staff and a lot of localization to the area you are working in, as a result of this most MMO's that use nation forced servers deal with their game in a different manner.

Here is what they do, Blizzard will run all the North American Servers, they'll have their own guys maintaining the networks, running the patching, handling the customer support, but they do not have the numbers of people qualified in the languages and resident in the other countries they wish to run WoW in (Korea, Europe etc), here is what they do.

A company established in handling MMO's in the resident continents they want to expand too, will pay blizzard a fee plus royalties to run the servers in so and so a country, in return they get the subscription fees for themselves, they have to provide the quality of service, the staff etc, Blizzard just send them patches and tech advice and bills for royalties per month according to how many subscribers they have.

However Blizzard have to make a compromise here, You see these European guys who will be running the EU WoW servers will want to make sure they have all the available customer base they can get, if someone tells the EU guys that hey, these heavily european established guilds are playing on these North American servers, giving all their money to blizzard that you are losing out on, they will kick up all hell and get blizzard to kick them off, which blizzard will do cause to be honest they make more money than god and kicking off the 0.1% of the European WoW population playing on their servers will not make a jot of difference to how much they take money wise, you've already bought their game and it's not their worry if you don't resubscribe to the european servers that are ran by a contracted company.

So yes, it's something ALL MMO's take very seriously at least those who go the forced server route, I have seen it implemented very swiftly WHEN someone complains and points it out, you ARE on my bad side Rids (I don't take kindly to women beaters).

While you feel what they are doing is utterly retarded, MMO's are a very shakey business model to work and the only way to make them work with regards to banks being nice to them is how I've generally described(SoE don't have to worry cause they are SONY but others do).

Sufficit to say I will probably not go to the lengths of doing this unto you unless you insist on co-habitating the same Eastern Servers as me, Just know that if you ever get too bold or arrogant or lippy with someone on the NA servers and the pin drops that you aren't from NA, you can count on people being very very quick on getting you nailed.

p.s. I do agree with the server situation, Customer support is already hard to provide as it is, but with extra population not forecasted for the servers meaning less GM's per thousand people it degrades the value of NA's subscriptions.

p.p.s. Just as a heads up, some MMO providers that run forced servers are often cheap enough as to make sure the ISP they are with doesn't sell a lot of bandwith(at reasonable prices) to European ISPs even sometimes Canadian ISPs which has been a pain in the arse sometimes

Edit: With regards to the few guilds I know on NA WoW that have european members, some of the guild members have been kind enough to nominate themselves as a billing address for a couple of european guildies, they paypal the NA Guildie the money and he pays the subscription as it isn't uncommon to have 2-3 Subscriptions from the same billing address, this is pretty much a fullproof way, entering fake details in your registration is as simple as me making a report to blizzard saying you have submitted false details in your registration, which is instant perma ban with no review of case and account permanently deleted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversmoke
The internet is a serious business.
Unread 20 Nov 2004, 17:40   #86
Sunday8pm
Banned

I'm wondering how long a second is in Rids world. (I'm betting he hasn't replied to any of it cause there is technically nothing he can argue against me with on it)

Though I am seriously available to answer anymore questions on the topic.
Unread 20 Nov 2004, 17:44   #87
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

He's still busy reading it.
Unread 20 Nov 2004, 18:08   #88
Sunday8pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
He's still busy reading it.
now now it only took him 12 minutes to read half of it.

p.s. We got the paper the other week, many thanks JC
Unread 20 Nov 2004, 18:58   #89
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Well I know one thing for sure, if I was Rids I'd be pretty worried, getting on someone’s bad side over the Internet could have serious consequences.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I didn't realise WoW was going to be having separate servers, yet another reason not to bother playing it. Back on topic, good ending to HL2 the last level with the super gravity gun is awesome, I'm replaying it on hard mode now, still has the same wow factor second time around, I forgot just how intense that first level is running from the Combine. Been playing a bit of CS:S for the last two nights it’s far better than the original which I never really cared for just can't wait for TF:S (Or TF2 or whatever they're calling it) now.
Unread 20 Nov 2004, 19:16   #90
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

I just got to the chapter "We don't go to ravenholm". As far as I played it it's . But I think this is getting scarier now.
Unread 20 Nov 2004, 19:17   #91
Sunday8pm
Banned

Quote:
Well I know one thing for sure, if I was Rids I'd be pretty worried, getting on someone’s bad side over the Internet could have serious consequences.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
When you've laid down 60-100 quid on a game then yah you do have to be concerned about the serious consequences these days.
Unread 20 Nov 2004, 19:24   #92
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Oh I know, the loss of such a vast sum could really ruin someone’s week, if I were Rids I would be very careful what I posted lest I incur any more severe financial penalties from an Internet nemesis. Internet justice ! :laugh:

Ravenholm is scary, scary like Doom 3 should have been (As opposed to just dark) I hope they do an Opposing Force style expansion with that priest guy as the main character, he’s pretty cool.
Unread 20 Nov 2004, 20:38   #93
Rids
The Bad Guy

Quote:
I'm wondering how long a second is in Rids world. (I'm betting he hasn't replied to any of it cause there is technically nothing he can argue against me with on it)

Though I am seriously available to answer anymore questions on the topic.
I actually fell asleep, had a rather large night out last night.

I do understand the way that MMORPG's work, having played Jumpgate and Lineage 2 which had servers handled in exactly the same manner. If the European and NA release were to occur at the same time, I dont think the issue would be as large an issue for me. However, I, and many members of my guild, dont feel like waiting another 3 months for the game to arrive and then still be unable to play with my american friends.

With regards to the IP related issue, Blizzard will NOT be banning by IP address. I cant remember the exact details of the post as it was quite a while ago that I read it, but there was some kind of discussion about american servicemen / business people who travel and whether they'd be able to log in from outside the states and if it would be an issue. As you did point out, the US billing address / credit card was the most important thing from Blizzards point of view.

I really dont think they'll be too many people jumping through the kind of hoops that we are jumping through just to be able to play US release. Could Blizzard squash us all if they wanted to? Yes. Would it bother them? No. There are going to be close to 500'000 people playing this game in release, I'd guess that us europeans will make up no more than 2000 of those players.

However, I dont see Blizzard going out of their way to help Vivendi and its userbase. Its not as if Vivendi are going to miss 2000 subscribers anymore than Blizzard would. And with it already being stated that steps are being put into place to allow character migration at around the time of european release, I dont think its honestly worth the effort from Blizzard to come down on us trying to get a small jump on the others.

I think things will be ok.

ps. On the woman beating front. You do not know me. As personal attacks go that is one of the most disgusting I've ever seen from you, and that is saying something. You have no ****ing right whatsoever to make that kind of allegation. You dont like me, fair enough, I'm not exactly in love with you either, but that is going too far, even for me.
Unread 21 Nov 2004, 01:35   #94
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice

I liked the system RA2 had, which involved voluntary regional grouping based on the affiliations in the game.
Unread 21 Nov 2004, 02:30   #95
at0mic.c0w
Käptn Karacho

at0mic.c0w is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ravenholm is scary, scary like Doom 3
it's no match to Thief's "Cradle"-Level though
Unread 22 Nov 2004, 08:13   #96
Radical Edward

running round the city in Anticitizen one, shooting combine. awesome fun. and an AI squad that isn't utterly stupid... wow.

bit low on ammo for my smg though

Unread 22 Nov 2004, 16:04   #97
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i liked quite a few FPS' Doom, quake, UT... HL was just boring though, i finished the single player on normal in a day, and didnt feel like playing it on anything else, so never bothered again.

compare that to quake, which i played through on normal, then hard, then nightmare, then i repeated it on nightmare 6 or 7 times at least. Its not that im not (wasnt) a fan of FPS', its just HL was a bit bland.
Unread 22 Nov 2004, 16:34   #98
Pyr0 MK III
Look! He's Dancing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepflow
i liked quite a few FPS' Doom, quake, UT... HL was just boring though, i finished the single player on normal in a day, and didnt feel like playing it on anything else, so never bothered again.

compare that to quake, which i played through on normal, then hard, then nightmare, then i repeated it on nightmare 6 or 7 times at least. Its not that im not (wasnt) a fan of FPS', its just HL was a bit bland.
You like the more brainless shooters then, get Painkiller.
Unread 22 Nov 2004, 17:30   #99
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

I am DEEPLY impressed with HL2. The graphics look awesome and scale PERFECTLY. I had troubles running Doom3 smoothly on my computer, but HL2 runs just fine.
But apart from the graphics, this physics engine... WOW. The interaction with the world adds soooo much to the whole gameplay.

The only poor thing in the game is the sound, which is jerky sometimes.
Unread 22 Nov 2004, 19:47   #100
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice

Sierra are aware of the sound issue, so there should be a patch soon (if not already).