User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 27 Mar 2006, 01:22   #1
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
DVD recorders

The connect to your TV type, not the burn dodgy dvds from the net type.
This was originally going to be a "what should I get" thread but I left it too late, so now it's a "here's what I got" thread.

My parents were after one having finally realised VHS is shit, so I looked around and settled on the Panasonic DMRES20 (catchy name I know) for them to buy, as they know jack about this sort of thing. I just set it up earlier, and I'm surprised at what you get for the money (£140)
- Onboard freeview so you can record straight from the program guide, no hassle yo
- Timeshift recording - hit record if the phone goes, come back, rewind to where you were and it will carry on recording the show and playing it back at the same time
- Digital to analog converter, so they can send the picture over coax out to their signal splitter, so they can pipe freeview/dvd to any TV in the house
- External source recording so they can DVDificate their videos
- All that fancy crap you can do with DVD-RAM discs like moving things around, making chapters, deleting bits, yadayadayada
- One particular fancy DVD-RAM thing, which lets you record one thing while watching something else entirely that you recorded earlier on the same disc.
- And of course the standard dvd player type stuff (multiple sound outputs, resume-from-last-playback-position, that kinda thing)

I also kept their old freeview box wired up so they can send one freeview channel round the house while watching another freeview channel on the big TV.
If you pay another £20 you can get the multi-region version but i figured it wasn't worth it, as they only have legit dvds anyway and I make backups of all mine regardless of whether I got them from the USA or not, and strip the region protection off (and all the annoying "you cannot skip this advert" bits) in the process.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else has a DVDR, what sort of price they paid, and how it compares. I like to think we got value for money here. Apparently the dude in Richer Sounds said it was the best one in its price range when they went to pick it up.

Last edited by meglamaniac; 27 Mar 2006 at 01:28.
meglamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Mar 2006, 01:29   #2
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: DVD recorders

I'd personally rather get one of those harddrive things which you can record straight onto because it seems less hassle than having to continually swap discs, but meh.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Mar 2006, 01:31   #3
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Well I did try and steer them that way, but I was met with
- We think they cost too much (fair enough, a decent one with freeview = ~£200)
- We like to have something physical, plus we might want to take shows to our friends' houses

So a DVD recorder it was.
So long as they stock up on DVD-RAM discs (expensive I know) then it more or less acts like an HD recorder anyway.
Unread 27 Mar 2006, 02:17   #4
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

I like the set up we've got atm, a dvd burner thing (much like you described) connected to our sky plus box, so I can now claim 'legal' ownership of anything aired on sky since we set this up, me ftw .
Unread 27 Mar 2006, 05:29   #5
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Cooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

The Panasonic machines are ace. All of them have an excellent feature set and are very easy to navigate. Their major bonus is that they are quite cheap in comparison to the other 'leading brands' in the PVR market.

If you were going to go for a HD machine then the DMR-EH50 is pretty ace and well priced. But it is probably due for a replacement when they roll out their 2006 range (incidentally most companies produce a new range every two years).

The only other gear that I would really recommend in this sort of stuff is the Pioneer DVD recorders. They are pricier; but consistently rate extremely well in the various magazines/awards etc (EISA awards in particular - Google it).

I only know all this because I have worked in HiFi/Electronics sales off and on for three years. It pays to know your products.
Cooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Mar 2006, 09:21   #6
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

We got a Panasonic 300 quid job when about 6 months after they all came out. The idea being we would back up every single family video and vhs from 'teh good old days' onto dvd so they can be saved from the ravages of time (and vhs degredation).

Whilst not doing that it has been rather helpful in creating dvds of more recent trips/holidays etc and recording the F1/Rugby.

It has all the features you mentioned above but it lacks the freeview thing.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote