User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 9 Oct 2005, 01:17   #1
Razgriz
Retired FCHC

Razgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the rough
Question Drop Ships? Colonies?

Well i know it's been said in previous earlier rounds but what are the chances being able to colonise? Maybe not entire planets but what about moons? After colonising a moon it could be used to mine or it could be used as a base to get another fleet slot. To protect these 'moons' why not bring back PDS which can be used only to protect your 'moons'? Searching for these 'moons' will be much like how we used to scan for roids around our planet. The 'moons' can be attacked by other planets wishing to colonise it for their own which ties in my suggestion for a new unit 'Drop Ship'.

The 'Drop Ship' can be used to colonise 'moons' that have no inhabitants and also to atempt a take over of an enemy controlled 'moon'. Another capability of these 'Drop Ships' could be when sent to attack a planet it drops ground troops to do pretty much what the co-op agents do; steal resources, destroy structers etc.

Just a couple of my thoughts - i would know how hard it would be to fit it into the game - but good ideas i feel.

I'm going to count how many times i mentioned 'moon' and 'colonies' in this post now lol
Behold the Razgriz, its wings of black sheath
---------------------------------------------------
[F-Crew] - You know when you've been [FC]ucked

join our public chan #f-crew
Razgriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Oct 2005, 01:31   #2
Doorsdown
Aria's TeddyBear :p

Doorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really nice
Re: Drop Ships? Colonies?

Pds = Evil

R3 [Acid] peon
R4 - R7 [Fyre] HC
R7 - R8 [ND] HC
R8 - R13 [NoS] MC
R14 - R16 [1up] MO
R17 Retired
Doorsdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Oct 2005, 01:39   #3
Razgriz
Retired FCHC

Razgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorsdown
Pds = Evil
Depends which way you look at it.... hold on.... *looking again* hmmmm, you could be right there... pds has its pros and cons i guess

Unread 9 Oct 2005, 04:50   #4
Doorsdown
Aria's TeddyBear :p

Doorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razgriz
Depends which way you look at it.... hold on.... *looking again* hmmmm, you could be right there... pds has its pros and cons i guess

it had cons for sure...not finding any pros

R3 [Acid] peon
R4 - R7 [Fyre] HC
R7 - R8 [ND] HC
R8 - R13 [NoS] MC
R14 - R16 [1up] MO
R17 Retired
Doorsdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Oct 2005, 13:13   #5
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

I absoultley love this idea!
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Oct 2005, 16:30   #6
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

I also think there are some interesting implications of this suggestion. I do suggest we leave PDS out of it for the moment, because there are some members of these forums that seem to have an unnatural hatred of even hearing the acronym PDS, but the idea of moons is intreging. Couple of questions that come to mind, are you suggesting that you can capture other people's moons? If so how, and what do they do for you? Also if you can capture them, there should be a way to defend them, maybe ground troops rather then PDS? Maybe it might be possible to even destroy moons, like you can destroy structures now. Maybe you should be able to capture other people's moons and use them as bases to raid their planet? Though this does seem ripe for abuse. All in all an interesting idea, though as you mentioned, it seems like it would be a major overhall to the game.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Oct 2005, 00:35   #7
Razgriz
Retired FCHC

- Capturing somebody elses moon would require you to have drop ships, troops land and take over if they can.

- If you were to capture a moon whith no owner then you would start from scratch. Either using it to mine resources by building the relivant refinaries, or by building power plants maybe to create a moon base; an extra fleet slot. The amount of power you have on the moon would reflect the number of ships you'd beable to use at the moon base. For example:- 5 Power Plants allows you to use 500 ships, 10 Power Plants 1000 etc and so on.
If the moon you capture was previously occupied then you would start where your target left off. So you would gain control of whatever refineries or power plants they may have on the moon. Nice alternative to just going after roids and ships if you ask me.

- Ground Troops rather than PDS? I'm sure that would work too. Maybe after the first drop of say 20 troops to the moon a Drop Ship could return to your planet to pick up more troops to drop again at the moon bringing the forces on your moon up to 40. At a price of course - training the troops etc.

- I would say destroying moons would be a no no. Purely because it would warrent a Death Star kind of ship. And what would a player gain from destroying moons?

- For examples sake; say you were in 7:4 and wanted to colonise a moon in 6:10. You could do that and you could certainly use it as a moon base to luanch attacks on 6:10 and the travel time to the 6:10 target planet would be asif you were launching in gal (eta5).

I think i covered everything you asked about Monroe. I just feel it's a healthy, fun alternative to the game and it'll be an idea that can be developed. I'm glad someone else thinks it's a great idea. Cheers Smudge and Monroe for taking an interest. Doubtfull it'll ever become part of the game but it's nice to dream.... Halo style skirmishes on moons.... Ter vs Cat.... quality lol

Unread 10 Oct 2005, 08:26   #8
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

That's no moon. It's a space station.
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Oct 2005, 09:45   #9
Clogg
SiNíng is a lifestyle

Clogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to all

Ehm what is the use of this "moons". You can mine them and you can steal them, hhhmmmmm sounds familiar, Asteroids perhaps, they can be mined aswell as be stolen.

And by getting an extra fleetslot per moon, that's extremely risky, it would give people more advantages over the other players with less "moons". So I think it's an extremely bad idea. But if you really want this I suggest you play another online game out there where you can conquer planets of other players, I just forgot the name of that game.
Unread 10 Oct 2005, 22:00   #10
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

Quote:
- For examples sake; say you were in 7:4 and wanted to colonise a moon in 6:10. You could do that and you could certainly use it as a moon base to luanch attacks on 6:10 and the travel time to the 6:10 target planet would be asif you were launching in gal (eta5).
There is a major issue with this, and lots of room for abuse. I would suggest that you have normal eta to that gal, then be "orbiting" your newly aquired moon. From there you could do in gal attacks at the normal eta 5. This would give the gal a chance to whipe out your fleet at take the moon back. As a matter of fact I might just suggest galaxy moons rather then planet moons. They are moons that give the gal some resource advantage, and can be used against them if captured by enemies, so they will be agressive in defending them. The real issue here is if a big player takes over a moon in a gal they could roid the gal dry potentially, then move onto another gal, but this would force the gal to work together, which is probably a good thing. I would probably give a significant advantage on attack for troops from in gal, making it hard for any extragalactic intruder from maintaining a moon base in another galaxy.

Quote:
I think i covered everything you asked about Monroe. I just feel it's a healthy, fun alternative to the game and it'll be an idea that can be developed. I'm glad someone else thinks it's a great idea. Cheers Smudge and Monroe for taking an interest. Doubtfull it'll ever become part of the game but it's nice to dream.... Halo style skirmishes on moons.... Ter vs Cat.... quality lol
Your welcome. I also seriously doubt it would ever get implimented, but all new ideas are interesting, and who knows maybe this thread or one like it will stir the powers that be to add a new idea to the game, making it more fun for all of us!

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Oct 2005, 00:09   #11
Razgriz
Retired FCHC

Ok, i agree that having a moon in another gal would either give the occupant either an unfair advantage or encourage a gal to work together as you say Monroe. So just galaxy moons would be a way forward. But as i have said before - it's such a vast idea that can be developed to suit the Planetarion we play today

Clogg - yes sounds alot like roids but the way in which you aquire the moons is different and the ways you use them are different. If galaxy moons were the case then wouldn't it be nice for any resoucres made on the moon went directly to the galaxy fund? (just another idea)

I've just started to play a 'capturing planets' game and to be honest i'm really enjoying it.

Thanks again for your imput Monroe and Clogg

Unread 22 Oct 2005, 18:09   #12
rop1964
F Crew

rop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nice

i like the moon idea, you can limit the extra fleet to the moon around your own planet, as for attacking defending extra moon, it s just a matter of designing the unit/troup/system. and it add a new way to look at the game. interesting indeed.

[F-Crew] - You know when you've been [FC]uked
rop1964 is offline   Reply With Quote