User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Strategic Discussions

Unread 22 Mar 2003, 23:41   #1
thomas4
CHICKEN DIPPHAAAAZ

thomas4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Fireblades or Broadswords?

owk, regarding the fact that you as a xan want some Bs/Cr def (mainly Bs since you have atleast sum bombers) at your own planet.

Which one would you pick and why?

the facts for those who dont know them:

Cryvellian Broadsword (T1:Cr, T2:Bs) init 21, 15 agil, 25 WPSP, 3 guns, 12 power, 40 armour, 65 emp res, 5k M and 3750 C. Eta 4 and 95 eo.

Kthal Fireblade (T1:Bs, T2:Cr, T3: De) init 27, 10 agil, 5 WPSP, 4 guns, 50 power, 80 armour, 85 empres, 18K M and 8k C. Eta 4 and 165 eo.
R4: [30:21:11] n00b
R5: [31:24:10] TFD
R6: [04:02:06] Xylem
R7: [27:20:11] Lithyn
R8: [29:02:05] Lithyn \ Elysium
R9: [05:05:09] WolfPack \ Sapientia (while it lasted...)
R9.5: [XX:XX:XX] Enjoying random inactivity...

Ex-Lithyn [\] †

Last edited by thomas4; 23 Mar 2003 at 06:46.
thomas4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Mar 2003, 00:42   #2
Pitchfork
Tourist

Pitchfork is an unknown quantity at this point
broadswords
Pitchfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Mar 2003, 05:12   #3
Sun_Tzu
Arrogant Fck

Sun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of light
broads, any day, and I think you left our weapon power from there somewhere
Unread 23 Mar 2003, 06:06   #4
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society
Neither.
Unread 23 Mar 2003, 06:47   #5
thomas4
CHICKEN DIPPHAAAAZ

There, power added.

And if you could mayb explain WHY you chose for either broads or fireblades? Coz this isnt really helping me, same to you hyfe why wouldnt you use them?

Ex-Lithyn [\] †
Unread 23 Mar 2003, 07:19   #6
at0mic.c0w
Käptn Karacho

at0mic.c0w is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by hyfe
Neither.
Unread 23 Mar 2003, 09:28   #7
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Chax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the rough
sentinels - adding another class is rather silly and the sents can be used for other stuff.

Why would anyone send battleships at you anyway?
Unread 23 Mar 2003, 11:31   #8
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society
Quote:
Originally posted by Chax

Why would anyone send battleships at you anyway?
That is pretty much my reasoning thomas4.

I've yet to see a roid-stealing battleship; so why waste resources countering them?
Unread 23 Mar 2003, 16:45   #9
Sun_Tzu
Arrogant Fck

Sun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of light
hyfe and chax, o/c you are right but that wasn't the point :P and if you only target the pods then what the hell will happen to you when they use other classes of ships to freeze your fleet? ^^

anyways, for a reason look up a matrix, atleast last I remembered broads were devils at killing bs/cr and damn nice for INGAL DEFENCE TRADING, a totally unheard of concept for both chax and hyfe it seems :P
Unread 23 Mar 2003, 18:07   #10
-QS-
nub since 2002

-QS- is an unknown quantity at this point
think of which BS will come your way... Mainly wyvern, which wont target you if u build none of mentioned ships. Possibly some cath go for CR/Bs, for which bomber (against pod-class) and sentinel as random shooter will be better (cuase u can use em for other things as well.
Concentrate on your strength and dont try to fix your weaknesses if it is not effecient.
Unread 23 Mar 2003, 20:56   #11
Wombat
MAdnRisKy

Wombat is an unknown quantity at this point
Not having anti BS an leave you vunerable to taking cat targets late game (which you shouldn't do anyway) an as for someone attacking you with BS don't worry, it'll mean they add eta which means better defence.

for broads as in gal def, this is only an option if your number of zik planets in gal is low, which means you run a badly organised gal anyway and I have no sympathy for you
Unread 23 Mar 2003, 22:18   #12
Sun_Tzu
Arrogant Fck

I have no zikos in my gal, I told everyone to stay the f*ck away from them, I bet my gal out-ranks you by more than 100...
Unread 23 Mar 2003, 23:42   #13
General1
Rah's def wh0re

General1 will become famous soon enoughGeneral1 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by Sun_Tzu
I have no zikos in my gal, I told everyone to stay the f*ck away from them, I bet my gal out-ranks you by more than 100...
Rd4 ---> 246 24 10 Silverwolf of Limburg [TFD] [Cell] [NFU]
Rd5 ---> 34 11 19 The great Returning of me [Cell] [NFU]
Rd6----> 6 25 10 Chappa'ai of NOX Homeland (Whitebull) [Silver BC]
Rd7----> 18 18 1 Klaj Demon of Gateway from Hell [RAH]
Rd8----> 36 5 6 1 More TIME of Free Traders Inc [RAH]
Rd9----> 16 2 10 Clan McIntosh of Stardust Guardian [RAH]
Rd9.5 ---> 15 9 9 Nightshade of Sherwood forest [RAH]
Rd10 ----> [RAH]
General1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Mar 2003, 05:41   #14
Iceaxe
Blood

Iceaxe is an unknown quantity at this point
Zik if played correctly can be very deadly. All you need are cutters/clippers/maruaders. Forget about the rest and concentrate on these and watch as you mow down your targets or just plain make them run.
Iceaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Mar 2003, 07:39   #15
Sun_Tzu
Arrogant Fck

Quote:
Originally posted by Iceaxe
Zik if played correctly can be very deadly. All you need are cutters/clippers/maruaders. Forget about the rest and concentrate on these and watch as you mow down your targets or just plain make them run.
indeed it CAN be, but most times it's just being the worst player in your gal

no, really, if played well it can be a pretty ok race, but I'd take Terrans any day still
Unread 24 Mar 2003, 08:23   #16
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Well, i am actually a fan of broadswords, they are my second favourite ship in the game (after BW), and there are a numebr of uses for them.

Firstly, i woulndt recommend building alot of them unless your galaxy gets regulary visited by BA - specificly Wyvern - or even simple CR fleets. As mentioned above, =few units can do better than the Broadsword at killing BA/CR.

Secondly, broadswords also provide (granted limited but nevertheless useful) defence against Guardians - those units are powerful enouhg to really hurt your CO though they arent the best against FI. but your bombers were CO, correct? . still, they do alot of 0wnage...

but if one thing is ofr certain, then Fireblades should not even be researched. Xandathrii DE,CR and BA all suck badly. iirc Fireblades severely overkill alot of stuff as well as having a buggared up weaponspeed. They are as weak as piss and also iirc they fire after Wyvern, who also happen to slaughter fireblades.

Broadswords are imo a very useful addition to a Xandthrii FR fleet, but i wouldnt build very many if you are a FI/CO Xan - at most 5% of resources. (if you are a FR xan of which there seem to be few, i would be building ~20%)

i hope this clears it up a little bit mate.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Mar 2003, 10:37   #17
Wombat
MAdnRisKy

Wombat is an unknown quantity at this point
Zik have the potential to be the strongest race, anyone not seeing that, or not capable of playing them properly, should stick to the easy assed Terrans I suppose, but that doesn't mea zik are weak, just that most players attempting to use them are incompetant.

(ps sun_tzu, even if your gal does outrank mine, I'd dare say that all of my gal would have better fleets than yours, just the wrong alliance :/)
Unread 24 Mar 2003, 13:50   #18
thomas4
CHICKEN DIPPHAAAAZ

Quote:
Originally posted by Ultimate Newbie
i hope this clears it up a little bit mate.
it clears up alot, thanx Ultimate Newbie!

n to some other posters on this thread, PLZ discuss the outranking of your gal and the discussion xan-zik elsewhere ta.

Ex-Lithyn [\] †
Unread 24 Mar 2003, 19:54   #19
Sun_Tzu
Arrogant Fck

Quote:
Originally posted by Wombat
(ps sun_tzu, even if your gal does outrank mine, I'd dare say that all of my gal would have better fleets than yours, just the wrong alliance :/)
if you gal is so good then it should be big enough to have put up a fight and thus still be around, but since it isn't and it's fleets aren't as good as you claim it never got big at the start and wasn't able to put up a fight and isn't anywhere near the top now either. Simple. Though I'm sure you are a god at stats, so I'm sure you'll pm me your plans for the incredible ziko 0wnage and world domination...
Unread 24 Mar 2003, 20:13   #20
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
and world domination...
How limited are these 'narweet' people Wombat! they should be ashamed!
Unread 24 Mar 2003, 20:47   #21
Sun_Tzu
Arrogant Fck

Quote:
How limited are these 'narweet' people Wombat! they should be ashamed!
I have but one reply: I'm WEET, not NARWEET :P
Unread 24 Mar 2003, 20:52   #22
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Quote:
I have but one reply: I'm WEET, not NARWEET :P
I was going to write weet, but then i thought that you are all bastards so what the hell
Unread 24 Mar 2003, 21:15   #23
Sun_Tzu
Arrogant Fck

Quote:
I was going to write weet, but then i thought that you are all bastards so what the hell

/me wonder why there's no devil sign :/