User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Administration > Planetarion Help Desk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 14 Mar 2003, 16:16   #1
NotLife
Supreme Being

NotLife is an unknown quantity at this point
could I get explanation of the Roid Scan Calc formula

Scanning for asteroids works on using the formula :
30 * (Number of Wave Amplifiers / Present Number of Asteroids)
------

I dont understand this

Me
NotLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Mar 2003, 16:35   #2
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place
The number you get when you put your numbers into that formula, is the percentage chance of getting a roid with your next roid-scan.

example:
10 roids
10 amps
%age chance= 30 * (10/10) = 30% chance of a roid. This means that on average you will need 3 and a bit scans to get a roid. Due to it being a "chance" though, this will (and does) vary.

In the above example, having 20 amps instead would give a 60% chance of getting a roid, so only needing about 1.5 scans to get a roid (I can't stress the "on average" anc "chance" bits enough here!)
Unread 15 Mar 2003, 10:26   #3
Devo
Spinner Flamer Flamer

Devo is an unknown quantity at this point
It is also worth noting that there is ALWAYS a very small chance that your scan will fail and a very small chance your scan will succeed. This applies to all forms of scans.
Quote:
Originally posted by Zh|l
Why are you quoting me in your signature?
Devo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Mar 2003, 18:07   #4
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by Devo
It is also worth noting that there is ALWAYS a very small chance that your scan will fail and a very small chance your scan will succeed. This applies to all forms of scans.
Which worries me as the formula as given is obviously not complete. Any chance we can get the 'secondary' formula?
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Mar 2003, 18:26   #5
zenopus
Xenoc

zenopus is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Devo
Well, the manual says that, or used to say that, somewhere.
However, I have never seen, or heard of anyone who has seen, any evidence of this.
zenopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 22:34   #6
King
Here and Not Here

King can only hope to improve
seeing as the roid calc formula gices you the chance (in a percentage) that your scan will succed there is always that chance that it will or won't. This is a random factor so there is no "formula" for this
King is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 00:31   #7
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Chax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the rough
there is a chance

I have never failed an astroscan while having enough amps to make the formula return 100% or more-

However I have succeeded astroscans at 0%.
In the public beta that ran just before the round started I managed to scan, in one batch, more roids than I had amps.

Funny thing is, the formula seems to be correct for most scenarios.