User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 5 Jan 2003, 20:00   #1
Ants
Commander

Ants is an unknown quantity at this point
Solution to size of random galaxies.

Their are two main factors in deciding the final size of round 9's random galaxies.

1) Having sufficient numbers in the gal to be able to fight with 10 man private gals.

2) Not looking too out of place in the universe to make you an instant target (20 people)

I believe there is a way to satisfy both of these factors. It involves every galaxy in the game having 10 players on there gal screen. This will lead to no seperation pre ticks to random and private gals. The argument against this is how will the 10 man random gal be able to keep up with the very organised private gals. To keep up the random gals will need to have many more players, 20 being the proposed number by creators atm. The only way round this I feel is for two random gals to be 'partnered' before ticks, these partnered gals will share a politics board and gal channel etc (like a normal gal) and will have in gal eta between both of the galaxies. This gives the impression to non gal members of two totally different 10 man gals but in reality they will work as a 20 man gal.

This is only my first thoughts and they will have errors of course but using this model I'm sure the creators can make playing random advantagous for the players who choose it.

Anton - I aint read over this or spell checked it so correct my errors
Unread 5 Jan 2003, 20:04   #2
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough
hmmmz...gud idea..difficult to impliment tho....

See what others and Zeus/Creators think....

But i like it as an idea

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2003, 20:07   #3
[Smurf]Pies
TeamPies

[Smurf]Pies can only hope to improve
sounds good but, if your gat hit a gal and its random(u wouldent know ofc). and they get loads of def from another gal at fast eta's they would ofc know the otehr gal was random and hit taht teh next night or get m8s to hit it so both gals get less defence.

unless i read it wrong

-Pies

<Pies> your gonna make me get pm's
<Pies> saying ive got a ego
<Pies> larger then a house again
<[TeamPies]MrPink> you´re the biggest ego i have ever seen

Round2 - Round 10
[Ministry]
Heresy

R4
114,[WTF]Smurf Village[TGS][NFU] (30:14)
97,The PieCastle (30:14:7)

R5
37,[Ag][WPO] Gauls [Fury] (21:04)

R6
1,Ğragons[WP][OWAGE!][Tapper] (5:24)
81, ur friends (5:24:22)
[Smurf]Pies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2003, 20:12   #4
Akallabeth
Insomniac

Akallabeth is an unknown quantity at this point
it would make going random actually somewhat worthwhile
Unread 5 Jan 2003, 21:02   #5
Troll
DLR HC

Troll is a splendid one to beholdTroll is a splendid one to beholdTroll is a splendid one to beholdTroll is a splendid one to beholdTroll is a splendid one to beholdTroll is a splendid one to beholdTroll is a splendid one to beholdTroll is a splendid one to behold
interesting concept

It has possibilites for sure.

Not sure if there isn't an easier way tho
Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2003, 22:18   #6
The_Fish
ND

The_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to all
Pies has an excellent point. Nice idea though.
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 00:16   #7
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Chax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the rough
excellent idea

Quote:
Originally posted by Ants
The only way round this I feel is for two random gals to be 'partnered' before ticks, these partnered gals will share a politics board and gal channel etc (like a normal gal) and will have in gal eta between both of the galaxies.
I was thinking of a sister galaxy setup for random galaxies a bit over the past few days since Zeus posted his first portal poll. I think it'd work a treat for making the game fair for randoms. I never considered suggesting it for round 9 though as I thought it'd be turned down due to the coding involved.

Anyway, I think it's a great idea, basically this would hide the randomness of the galaxy and make it as hard to raid as a private galaxy. As for the 2nd raid being on both galaxies, it won't be, there are no newsscans available that early. After all it is the early raids on easy random targets and the inclusion in cluster alliances that is the danger of a random galaxy. Problem solved.

Another thing that could be done is linking each private galaxy with a random one in the fashion described above. Helping them is good, it will help the private galaxy too, thus getting the new people skilled help, while still leaving them to deal with galaxy and cluster politics on their own as they should. A far better solution than the 5 priv+5random suggestions that have been flourishing. Who on earth would want to be a second rate citizen like the poor randoms in round 6?
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 00:19   #8
Supernova9
m u p p e t

Supernova9 is infamous around these parts
Re: excellent idea

Quote:
Originally posted by Chax
I was thinking of a sister galaxy setup for random galaxies a bit over the past few days since Zeus posted his first portal poll. I think it'd work a treat for making the game fair for randoms. I never considered suggesting it for round 9 though as I thought it'd be turned down due to the coding involved.

Anyway, I think it's a great idea, basically this would hide the randomness of the galaxy and make it as hard to raid as a private galaxy. As for the 2nd raid being on both galaxies, it won't be, there are no newsscans available that early. After all it is the early raids on easy random targets and the inclusion in cluster alliances that is the danger of a random galaxy. Problem solved.

Another thing that could be done is linking each private galaxy with a random one in the fashion described above. Helping them is good, it will help the private galaxy too, thus getting the new people skilled help, while still leaving them to deal with galaxy and cluster politics on their own as they should. A far better solution than the 5 priv+5random suggestions that have been flourishing. Who on earth would want to be a second rate citizen like the poor randoms in round 6?

The sister galaxy set up would have to be completely random in the way the galaxies were paired though, as if there was a pattern to the ways in which random gals were joined together, once you crack the pattern, you don't really have a problem finding the rest. Also it would more than likely be rather hard to code

(not sure if i made much sense there, but hey)
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 00:25   #9
WST
A Big Pile of Awesome

WST is on a distinguished road
Re: excellent idea

Quote:
Originally posted by Chax

nice concept, but you need one random gal for every private gal, and that isn't going to happen
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 03:35   #10
Domin
500k posts

Domin is an unknown quantity at this point
if u gonna make it look like they were 1 galaxy. How will this look on top 100 galaxies?
You would need to vote a fake gc,mod,moc,mow or are they suposed to get 2 of both?

Are they getting x:1-20 or x:1-10 then x2:10 on theyr own gal screen?

i feel random gals of 10 are better as it only do an impact on 10 people if 1 goes off spying cause his end is going bad.

The prob with random gals always been spies

round 2: 54:24:17 FA
round 3: 45:17:20 nos
round 4: 64:18:10 nos
round 5: 32:6:6 nos
round 6: 11:11:7 nos
round 7: 29:23:3 nos
round 8: 22:7:1 nos plush
round 9: 6:6:8 oly
round 13: Dont have roids so dont bother asking
Domin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 05:15   #11
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Chax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by Domin
if u gonna make it look like they were 1 galaxy. How will this look on top 100 galaxies?
You would need to vote a fake gc,mod,moc,mow or are they suposed to get 2 of both?
An example:

12:7 is one galaxy, they have GC, MoD, MoC, MoW or whatever is in place.

23:2 is the other galaxy, they have GC, MoD, MoC, MoW or whatever is in place.

their rankings would be their own, to look at the sister galaxy there would be a menu swap, just like the current AH menu swap.
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 05:45   #12
Scoot951
Das Scoot

Scoot951 is an unknown quantity at this point
It's really too complex to work, and it would not take long at all for the sister gal to be identified, assuming the 2 gals worked together at all.

If you want to go the path of keeping random gals at 10 people, a better way would be to give them some built-in advantage, like attackers get +1 to their eta, or the planets fleets are increased by 1.5 or something. That way the advantage stays even after they're discovered as randoms.

I don't really know what I'm doing here
Scoot951 is offline   Reply With Quote