User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 14 Oct 2006, 13:52   #1
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Windows XP Updates

I've had my laptop for over two years now and it is running so slowly that it boggles the mind. I shall be shortly purchasing a few RW DVDs and backing up all my files then formatting for the first time.

I have a friend who never installs them and doesn't even have Service Pack 2 who says he has never had a problem. He also claims that installing SP2 generally makes the OS slower operating.

So my question is, should I bother downloading any of the Windows XP updates on to my clean installation?
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Oct 2006, 13:58   #2
Furious
SpamBot

Furious will become famous soon enoughFurious will become famous soon enough
Re: Windows XP Updates

i dont know how your friend does that, but from experience i did an install without sp2 recently.

2 days later i had something like 700 viruses and god only knows how much spyware in my system.

I wouldnt recommend it if you dont have an alternative protection system to sp2.

<TomKat> my signature is the greatest on the entire internet
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Oct 2006, 14:00   #3
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

If it turns out the lock on your front door can actually be opened by a pencil, would you refrain from getting a new one installed because you don't want to have a new key that's heavier than the original one?
Unread 14 Oct 2006, 14:53   #4
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

your friend is an idiot.

installing sp2 over an old operating system partition which has been running for ages and has tons of programs installed did have issues with breaking some of them as i recall, but having them all installed from a clean install should result in no problems whatsoever.
Theres no reason to not install sp2 unless you actively want to allow your computer to get infected with god knows what, so yes. Install the windows updates.
Unread 14 Oct 2006, 17:32   #5
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Not in the least if you don't at least have Sp1a installed, else you'll typically be infected with the blaster virus in not more than 5 seconds of having a net connection.

Anyway, there are no such problems with SP2, your friend is talking out his arse.

The other thing is, if this is your first format and re-install i'm not surprised your computer is running slow. Though windows has come a long way since the early days, you still typically end up with a lot of junk files left behind on your OS that effect its performance drastically, rebuilding your pc is the only easy way to combat this.
Unread 14 Oct 2006, 18:06   #6
Ramihyn
Emperor

Ramihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud of

I dont see him mentioning that he or his friend use their installation of WinXP to access the internet so i think some of your comments are a bit "harsh". If you use WinXP to browse the internet, you pretty much "need" SP2 nowadays.

Gaming performance comparison
Ramihyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Oct 2006, 23:11   #7
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light

SP2 i've not seen a problem on any of my upgrades.
Unread 15 Oct 2006, 09:56   #8
bwtmc
thinking, that's all.

bwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond repute

It's a bit like asking was it worth getting Win98SE over the original version given it'll set you back a fiver. Security standards for MS software are already low, do yourself a favour and get the updates they do offer.
Unread 15 Oct 2006, 23:55   #9
A2
#planetarion

A2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud of

Could it possibly be that your friend who is not using SP2 has a copy of Windows that isn't entirely legal, and therefore can't install SP2 without it stopping working?
Unread 16 Oct 2006, 02:53   #10
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramihyn
I dont see him mentioning that he or his friend use their installation of WinXP to access the internet so i think some of your comments are a bit "harsh". If you use WinXP to browse the internet, you pretty much "need" SP2 nowadays.

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Oct 2006, 12:11   #11
Ramihyn
Emperor

Ramihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_Meat
Only very few of my machines are connected to the internet and none of my laptops, still i manage to post here. It still wouldnt say anything about his friend.
Ramihyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Oct 2006, 13:19   #12
Remy
Ex-Head Multihunter

Remy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious
i dont know how your friend does that, but from experience i did an install without sp2 recently.

2 days later i had something like 700 viruses and god only knows how much spyware in my system.

I wouldnt recommend it if you dont have an alternative protection system to sp2.
No matter if you have sp2 or not, 700 virusses and loads of spyware says a lot abou tyour surfing behaviour ^^
R7-9: Had an account, but didnt play seriously
R09.5: []LCH[] Officer
R10.0: []LCH[] HC (Rank #9, #1 Gal)
R10.5-R18.0: []LCH[] HC Scanner!
R18.0-R33 : Multihunter, Head MH
R34-.. : [CT] HC
Remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Oct 2006, 14:18   #13
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

on the contrary, all it takes is a single virus to make it through - which then downloads more automatically.
Unread 16 Oct 2006, 15:04   #14
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2
Could it possibly be that your friend who is not using SP2 has a copy of Windows that isn't entirely legal, and therefore can't install SP2 without it stopping working?
This copy of XP Pro isn't "entirely legal", SP2 still works fine (ironically, my totally legal copy of XP Home has just decided to stop me using my computer several times).

It's not in Microsoft's interest to stop security updates going to computers, no matter the validity of the install; at best it's a good probability of bad publicity, at worst it will expose some other security flaw in normal Windows.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Oct 2006, 17:10   #15
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
This copy of XP Pro isn't "entirely legal", SP2 still works fine (ironically, my totally legal copy of XP Home has just decided to stop me using my computer several times).

It's not in Microsoft's interest to stop security updates going to computers, no matter the validity of the install; at best it's a good probability of bad publicity, at worst it will expose some other security flaw in normal Windows.
not all CD-Keys work with SP2, I know that the one which used to work for all MS-Products doesnt let you install SP2
Unread 17 Oct 2006, 11:30   #16
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

SP2 is alot better than vanilla, but don't install the "genuine software"-something update. Its suppose to be checking if your windows is a correct version or a pirated one, but it doesnt work properly. By that I mean that it slows your computer down alot. So don't install it, even if you have a legitimate copy.
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote