User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Strategic Discussions

Unread 21 Feb 2006, 02:05   #1
KingAlan

KingAlan is a jewel in the roughKingAlan is a jewel in the roughKingAlan is a jewel in the roughKingAlan is a jewel in the rough
Zik and Cat- A lovely combination

Or not so lovely if you're on the receiving end...

Zik and Cat players could talk with eachother more, and organize combined attacks and defences landing at the same tick. Why? Well lets look at the benefits for both sides.

Cat: Additional support, and some ships that can destroy types that Cat can only freeze.
Zik: For a Zik, nothing is easier to steal than a frozen ship. Also, as one of the "weakest" races, stealing is hard for them to do unless in much greater numbers, so this dramatically increases the gaining of new ships.

Or, in other words:
Cat = Low Init (Shoot first) and Freezing
Zik = High Init (Shoot last) and Stealing

Combining those two you get Shooting First and Stealing. Thats why the combo is so deadly.

Or, Ziks, go out and hit Cathaar targets, then you can work with the Cathaar ships yourself, and not have to deal with coordination issues...

Roaches are especially useful for going with Zik CR. Spiders would be useful with Zik FI if you're hitting a Terran, and your Interceptors don't fully overcome his Harpies.

\Get some Hornets to go with the Roaches, and then you have a nice self-contained roiding AND stealing fleet.

Oftentimes, using FI or CO fleets involves having a huge amount of said ship class, for flak. As with any race, Cathaar ships can be useful for providing this flak. Note: Pegasus init beats Harpy into, keep that in mind when using a CO fleet against Terran.

Somewhat as with the Hornets, if you can pick up some Daggers (Xan), you have a nice roiding/stealing combo fleet for CO.

Advantages of the self-contained fleet: A bit obvious. You can accomplish both with the same fleet, using only one fleetslot. And, if your target runs his fleet, you'll still get some roids.
Round 13- complete n00b, 13:5:19
[Hidden Agenda member from round 14 on out]
Round 14: 11:7 MoD, final rank 1006
Round 15: 11:9:7, Galactic Commander, final rank 724
Round 16: 4:5:7, GC (The Colt 4-5's), final rank 380
Round 17: [forgot my final result]
Round 19: final rank 233
Round 20: 2:7:15, final rank 222
Round 23: bad end rank, crashed too many times
Round 24: am playing Zik

I provided the name for Round 16, "The End of an Era".
KingAlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Feb 2006, 14:43   #2
Clogg
SiNíng is a lifestyle

Clogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to all
Re: Zik and Cat- A lovely combination

Why are you restating the obvious? This is a very succesfull tactic since Ziks went back to stealing again and was most likely already used before the Ziks went to subversion (before my time, so I don't know that for sure). During the subversion period teaming up with Xan FI ruled, which were send in as defence.
Unread 21 Feb 2006, 15:34   #3
hook
I'm who you want me to be

hook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of light

I hardly see how this requires a new topic. I assumed it's common knowledge stealing and freezing combined makes a nice couple? Zik steal is powerful, when combined, be it in 'red defence' (in the past) or be it in teaming up (present and past).
Unread 21 Feb 2006, 16:45   #4
Gimmick
Banned

Gimmick is an unknown quantity at this point

although it is obvious to perhaps more experienced players, the more experienced players arent going to read strategy forums for new tips and hints, rather the newer players can come here and read topics. I think topics like this are essential to the community
Unread 23 Feb 2006, 01:24   #5
Shiprex

Shiprex is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmick
although it is obvious to perhaps more experienced players, the more experienced players arent going to read strategy forums for new tips and hints, rather the newer players can come here and read topics. I think topics like this are essential to the community
Totally agree with you there. I am a returning player from R3/4 and this info is useful for me to use as a member of an alliance.
Thanks

Shiprex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Feb 2006, 13:37   #6
Clogg
SiNíng is a lifestyle

Clogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to all

Perhaps you should ask someone within your alliance for some pointers then. From my experience most new players don't even know these forums exist, but then again, that could just be the new players I meet.
Unread 10 Mar 2006, 13:17   #7
lurchleaf
UltimateNewbie

lurchleaf is a splendid one to beholdlurchleaf is a splendid one to beholdlurchleaf is a splendid one to beholdlurchleaf is a splendid one to beholdlurchleaf is a splendid one to beholdlurchleaf is a splendid one to behold

no disrespect to all the people who have moaned below the first post. but for all the newer players its a good idea
and maybe should be added to the strategy guide instead of here.
nicely written too

EDIT : i just realised this is the strategy forum