User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Strategic Discussions

Unread 28 May 2003, 10:30   #1
Andy_r
X$X

Andy_r is an unknown quantity at this point
Getting that first Sector Scan through

so, I check in the manual to see how many amps I need to stand a good change of completing the sector scan quest early on, and I see:

Quote:
The success of any scan (not Astro Scans) is calculated as follows :
30 * ((Amps / Asteroids) - (Target Reflectors/ Target Asteroids)).
well, assuming I'm not unlucky enough to pick someone who built reflectors at tick 1, we can plug the numbers in and get...

30 * ((0/24)-(0/24)) = 30

I'm assuming this means 30% rather than 30:1

if I wait until I build 50 amps it's

30 * ((50/32)-(0/24)) = 46

Not much gain, so you are better off buying extra sectors.

Conclusion: The best you can have at tick 7 is a 60% chance of completing the quest, so there will be a LOT of annoyed players out there who bought 1 or 2 sector scans before ticks start 1 and didn't get them through.
R3 172:21:12 | R 4 136:8:5 | R5 30:25:12 | R6 11:5:1 | R7 40:25:17 | R8 30:1:5 | R9.5 36:10:14 | R10 1:5:9 Boldness of Helvetica

Proud to have been [YHQ] until the end of YHQ [VtS] until the end of Legion [Titans] until the end of Titans and |R6B| for Speedgames
Andy_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 May 2003, 10:42   #2
black-eyed boy
ND

black-eyed boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Getting that first Sector Scan through

Come on, you werent too good at maths in school were you?
Quote:
Originally posted by Andy_r
30 * ((0/24)-(0/24)) = 30
30 * 0 = 0

You can't scan successfully with zero amps.

But with 48 amps you indeed have exactly 60% chance of scan getting through.
just why we're really here
black-eyed boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 May 2003, 11:05   #3
-QS-
nub since 2002

-QS- is an unknown quantity at this point
ROFLMAO
Unread 28 May 2003, 11:37   #4
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society
incidentally; its the same formula that's used for roidscans too
Unread 28 May 2003, 12:31   #5
Baco
-= Plush Puppet =-

Baco is an unknown quantity at this point
24 amps (and 24 roids) gives u 30% of success if ur oponent don't have reflectors...so assuming he doesn't u need 2X more amps than the number of roids to have a 60% chance of success which is quite good already, so my advice is wait a bit before ordering that scan

r4 - 133:25:?? PTA
r5 - 35:7:?? MI/ViruS/NoS/PTA
r6 - 21:7:4 NoS/PTA
r7 - 21:4:12 NoS/PTA
r8 - 25:5:9 NoS / Titans & Plush / PTA
r9 - 24:2:7 Olympians / PTA
WC4 - 1:6:4 winner gal
r9.5 - 42:7:8 & 11:2:25 & 19:2:16 Olympians / PTA / Plush
r10 - XX:YY:ZZ RaH!
Baco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 May 2003, 12:55   #6
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute
does this mean we should init 1 or 2 of our first roids in eonium?
Unread 28 May 2003, 13:27   #7
Andy_r
X$X

Re: Re: Getting that first Sector Scan through

Quote:
Originally posted by black-eyed boy
[b]Come on, you werent too good at maths in school were you?

30 * 0 = 0

You can't scan successfully with zero amps.
Well spotted, I was good at maths, but it was a LONG time ago :-) I cancelled both sides of the equation and assumed the result was nothing at all, but as you point out it's 0.

Anyway, it looks like it will be quite a while before that quest gets done, and there may be a lot of wasted scans and annoyed players out there!
R3 172:21:12 | R 4 136:8:5 | R5 30:25:12 | R6 11:5:1 | R7 40:25:17 | R8 30:1:5 | R9.5 36:10:14 | R10 1:5:9 Boldness of Helvetica

Proud to have been [YHQ] until the end of YHQ [VtS] until the end of Legion [Titans] until the end of Titans and |R6B| for Speedgames
Unread 28 May 2003, 13:33   #8
Andy_r
X$X

Quote:
Originally posted by isildurx
does this mean we should init 1 or 2 of our first roids in eonium?
No. When things get going you'll be needing to buy a mixture of amps and roid scans, which requires lots more C than E.

Unread 28 May 2003, 13:39   #9
Andy_r
X$X

Quote:
Originally posted by hyfe
incidentally; its the same formula that's used for roidscans too
No, it's not. When scanning for roids, you don't have an opponent with reflectors.

The manual says the Roid scanning formula is:

30 * (Number of Wave Amplifiers / Present Number of Asteroids)

Another minor point is that Spinner once said in Creator's Hour that scan success is actually capped to a 99% maximum and a 1% minimum chance so there is always the possibility of unexpected success (or failure), although I've not seen any edvidence of this happening.

Unread 28 May 2003, 14:54   #10
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation

Quote:
Another minor point is that Spinner once said in Creator's Hour that scan success is actually capped to a 99% maximum and a 1% minimum chance so there is always the possibility of unexpected success (or failure), although I've not seen any edvidence of this happening.
I remember that statement. One of the many bits of lore that never made it into the manual. :/

I've seen a few scans in the past that succeeded (failed) in spite of impossible (sure) odds, although it's impossible to say if they were due to deliberately finite odds or Just Another Bug.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 May 2003, 16:24   #11
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society
Quote:
No, it's not. When scanning for roids, you don't have an opponent with reflectors.

The manual says the Roid scanning formula is:

30 * (Number of Wave Amplifiers / Present Number of Asteroids)
sorry

'for all practical purposes in the beginning' the formula is the same.. good luck finding someone with reflectors.
Quote:

I haven't seen it happen either, nor have i heard of any scanner ever complaining about a scan getting blocked for no obvious reason; thus i don't believe it.

Either way: delaying it is silly... By getting one sector scan through, you get two roids, and you doesn't even have to init them. Ofc, I'd advice building them one and one (maybe two first try) so you don't get stuck with useless scans.... Just think of it as an asteroid scan that gives you two inited crystal roids, and the entire thing becomes easier to compare
Unread 28 May 2003, 18:04   #12
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Erm, don't forget that one amp blows up per successful scan, how are you meant to to it with 0 anyway?
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 May 2003, 19:13   #13
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

obviously; you do the sector scan at the same time as you start regular scanning
(yes, i know; my post was exceptionally badly written)
Unread 28 May 2003, 23:20   #14
Andy_r
X$X

Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
Erm, don't forget that one amp blows up per successful scan, how are you meant to to it with 0 anyway?
simple, you would end up with -1 amps.

Unread 29 May 2003, 06:59   #15
F0rk
Pronged Utensil

F0rk will become famous soon enoughF0rk will become famous soon enough
couple of peeps mentioned they could be unlucky by picking someone who built reflectors to scan.

if u scan yerself then there is no doubt that there are no reflectors (assuming u aint daft enough to build any when in protection)
F0rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 May 2003, 07:42   #16
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
1:1:1!
Unread 30 May 2003, 20:44   #17
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
scan yourself.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 30 May 2003, 20:47   #18
Colt
Mercenary

Colt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally posted by F0rk
couple of peeps mentioned they could be unlucky by picking someone who built reflectors to scan.

if u scan yerself then there is no doubt that there are no reflectors (assuming u aint daft enough to build any when in protection)
may seem silly heh, but wtf would you ask someone else to sector scan fro you to complete your quest heh???

PS - if thats not what your on about then i apologise as i havent read the whole thread
Ultores
Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 May 2003, 21:17   #19
Summerflame

Summerflame is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Colt
may seem silly heh, but wtf would you ask someone else to sector scan fro you to complete your quest heh???

PS - if thats not what your on about then i apologise as i havent read the whole thread

Nah, he really meant to scan yourself. Just use the Link on your Gal-screen for instance.
R3: 100:18 Cymberal of Celtar
R4: somewhere in P24
R5: no Idea
R6: 22:20 [Wrath]
R7: 27:1:9 [Fury]
R8: 42:2:5 [Fury]
R9: 26:4:10 [Eclipse]
R9:5: no Idea [Eclipse]
R10: 4:5:5 [Eclipse]
R11: 31:5:9 [1up]
[1up]
Summerflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 May 2003, 15:57   #20
Telest
Agitator

Telest is an unknown quantity at this point
Scanning luck & starting plans won't be that big of a deal this round anyway, since you have quite high base production (4750 of each with mines + 6 roids).

Even if you fail due to extremely bad luck your first batch of scans, you'll still produce enough crystal+eonium per tick to quickly compensate.

Expect quite a bit less of "bad-scan-whineage" this round. Of course, some will have bad luck, but the impact will be far less than during a round with 3 roids and no mines to start off with.
Telest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 May 2003, 16:10   #21
Andy_r
X$X

Actually I expect a lot more bad-scan whining, since we are starting with 24 roids. There will be a lot of people failing the sector scan quest and getting 0 roids at tick 7 because they don't have sufficient amps to compensate for the extra roids.

Unread 1 Jun 2003, 13:34   #22
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
1:1:1!
So many people use 1:1:1 for all quests, if I were spinner I'd give 1:1:1 1k reflecs from the start just to be perverse
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jun 2003, 13:57   #23
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Chax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the rough
The obvious thing to do is to scan whoever has most roids in the universe.
Unread 1 Jun 2003, 14:37   #24
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place
Target-roids have no effect on the outcome of a scan, if they have no reflectors, so its unlikely to make a difference.
Unread 1 Jun 2003, 18:30   #25
smeg9
Ex EL High Command

smeg9 is on a distinguished road
Hmm, if only 1:1:1 had no roids.....

Then it would make life much easier. how many amps do you think we should build before attempting 'the scan'
Unread 1 Jun 2003, 21:33   #26
HAL-9000
I'm great!

HAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by smeg9

Then it would make life much easier. how many amps do you think we should build before attempting 'the scan'
Why would it make it easier? Surely the more roids he has (and the less reflectors) the more likely the chance of getting through?

[30 * ((Amps / Asteroids) - (Target Reflectors/ Target Asteroids))]

And if you want to be absolutely certain of getting through u can build 80 amps and scan a planet with no reflectors. Personally I think my budget doesn't quite cover those costs so I'm going for a slightly less that certain chance.
Unread 2 Jun 2003, 04:03   #27
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle29uk
So many people use 1:1:1 for all quests, if I were spinner I'd give 1:1:1 1k reflecs from the start just to be perverse
The inactive 1 1 2 then?

Unread 2 Jun 2003, 09:14   #28
General Martok
used to register

General Martok has a spectacular aura aboutGeneral Martok has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally posted by smeg9

40 amps give you 50% chance, 50 > 62,5% , 60 > 75%. I think i just order 2 scans and try it with about 40-45 amps, giving a chance of 75%-80% chance of one of them coming through....
R1: ??:?? | R2: 51:6 | R3: 37:12 | R4: 186:13 | R5: 13:17 | R6: 1:25
R7: 15:14 | R8: 34:4 / 52:10 ¤ | R9: 16:2 | R9.5: 34:6 / 41:6 ¤
R10: 2:2 | R10.5: 15:4 | R11: 28:8 | R12: 22:9

Damn, outdated and too lazy to edit, retired now
-----
Started playing again Still too lazy to update though
General Martok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jun 2003, 21:55   #29
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by General Martok
40 amps give you 50% chance, 50 > 62,5% , 60 > 75%. I think i just order 2 scans and try it with about 40-45 amps, giving a chance of 75%-80% chance of one of them coming through....
Tick 12, 48 amps, 2 sec scans.
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2003, 09:02   #30
TheShadowMan
Choice of Whacker sir?

TheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud of
tick 10 40 amps got it first time
but fecked up the 4 astro scans only got 1 roid ah well
Unread 3 Jun 2003, 09:57   #31
HAL-9000
I'm great!

HAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud of
ffs i had 38 amps and did 6 scans - all blocked. Unbebloodylievable! Strangely enough though i did 18 roid scans and got....18 roids! Something is very, very wrong.
Unread 3 Jun 2003, 14:40   #32
mens
Sheep

mens is an unknown quantity at this point
maybe the guy you sectorscanned accidentaly bought blockers....
mens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2003, 17:40   #33
HAL-9000
I'm great!

Nope he didn't he is a mate of mine and hasn't even got any roids save the 24 he started with lol. Oh well chance is not always a fine thing clearly :/