User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Strategic Discussions

Unread 4 Apr 2003, 03:24   #1
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society
Travel time R10

Ok. I don't know wether its a polite to start a parallell discussion here. But I'd really like a discussion thats goes *alot* slower than the one on PD, and with moderators that keep it on topic. And please read spinners post on AD to get a clue what i'm talking about

So please; Stay on topic

[disclaimer]I've skipped alot of stuff i might have written, to make it shorter and more discussable. and I *am* tired atm [/disclaimer]
----------------

1. differentiated traveltimes and no max eta
At first glance this is an ok idea imo.
+ Forcing people to co-operate in-cluster'ish
+ More strategy / more choice
- Means the end of alliances as we know them, sundering friendships like this cannot be a good thing imo

2.differentiated traveltimes on either defence / attack
Keep flat traveltimes on either defence or attacks, and differentiate the other.
+ Old alliances will still have a role to play
+ Old alliances will slowly be undermined
+ Alliances based on location still get advantages
- hard to balance. (All attack eta 12. defense eta 8-12 fx)

3.As it is now
+ Nothing changes
- Nothing changes

------------------

Now; this may be another discussion, but imo the issues are so intertwined. How will the choice of random/private afffect these choices?

1.100% Private
You are with your friends. Is a must if we have totally differentiated travel times imo

2.100% Random
If we do this; we need something to keep the old structures semi-alive. If the old alliances doesn't have any function anymore, PA will die imo. We need to have some relations stay the same between rounds; PA is a social game!

3. Semi-Random Semi-Private
Small blocks of players (1-4) gets shuffled around randomly. Gals ought to take atleast 15 players.

Last edited by hyfe; 4 Apr 2003 at 03:30.
hyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Apr 2003, 05:54   #2
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation

As I stated in my reply to Spinner's thread, I don't think this would end up being much different from r4 parallels. If you liked r4 parallels, then you'll probably like the proposed R10 travel time. It doesn't really change much, imho. It just replaces a single alliance/powerblock dominating the whole universe with lots of local alliances dominating their local areas. Luck will be a big factor: if you end up close to a bunch of allied galaxies, you can work with them to dominate your area; if you end up close a bunch of enemy galaxies, well, you'll be screwed (most of your allies will be too far away to help you).

I guess I expecting something a bit more innovative.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Apr 2003, 10:41   #3
Sun_Tzu
Arrogant Fck

Sun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of light
I'd have to say remove cluster and paralell etas, less easy bashing, more work for the roids, less luck-determined. Infact, you could skip a shuffle as no eta-advantages could be obtained this way.

Oh, and I want private, I got several m8s coming back to the game for rnd10 and if it goes random then that's just ****ing up our unified plans :/
Unread 4 Apr 2003, 12:17   #4
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society
Quote:
Originally posted by Tactitus
As I stated in my reply to Spinner's thread, I don't think this would end up being much different from r4 parallels. If you liked r4 parallels, then you'll probably like the proposed R10 travel time. It doesn't really change much, imho. It just replaces a single alliance/powerblock dominating the whole universe with lots of local alliances dominating their local areas. Luck will be a big factor: if you end up close to a bunch of allied galaxies, you can work with them to dominate your area; if you end up close a bunch of enemy galaxies, well, you'll be screwed (most of your allies will be too far away to help you).

Well.. as long as there is no specified center, I don't think the situation will become 'as bad' as it was r4, as there will be no really 'natural groupings'. Combined with random or semi-random galaxies i think is a good thing[tm]

Were You expecting something more innovative? or hoping for something more innovative? ... There is only so much you can do as long as you stay within the genre
Unread 4 Apr 2003, 14:02   #5
marmor

marmor is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm just thinking.

This universe will be made of a coordinate-system, with planets spread out up and down the x- and y-lines. This will mean for the singel planet that it will have different opportunities then other planet. Lets say a planet is placed at the egde of the universe. That planet will have fewer planets surrownding it for attack and defence, then a planet at the center.

So i wonder. Could each planet be placed at the center in its 'own map'? Does anyone understand my way of thinking?
Unread 4 Apr 2003, 14:07   #6
spectrum

spectrum is an unknown quantity at this point
what about monthly shuffles instead ?
Unread 4 Apr 2003, 14:10   #7
spectrum

spectrum is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by marmor
I'm just thinking.

This universe will be made of a coordinate-system, with planets spread out up and down the x- and y-lines. This will mean for the singel planet that it will have different opportunities then other planet. Lets say a planet is placed at the egde of the universe. That planet will have fewer planets surrownding it for attack and defence, then a planet at the center.

So i wonder. Could each planet be placed at the center in its 'own map'? Does anyone understand my way of thinking?
simple to implement a warp-around (like cluster 51 is next to cluster 1 (in a 51-cluster universe) like cluster 1 is to cluster 2.

(comparable to a ring: no matter where you are placed, there is no edge, although you could place 51 marks on it and call them cluster 1-51)
Unread 4 Apr 2003, 14:16   #8
marmor

marmor is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by spectrum
simple to implement a warp-around (like cluster 51 is next to cluster 1 (in a 51-cluster universe) like cluster 1 is to cluster 2.

(comparable to a ring: no matter where you are placed, there is no edge, although you could place 51 marks on it and call them cluster 1-51)
yes, my point exactly. hum, will it be like that?
Unread 4 Apr 2003, 15:24   #9
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

Quote:
Originally posted by marmor
yes, my point exactly. hum, will it be like that?
if they want it like that; it'll be like that

A universe clipped at the edges just sounds silly imo....
Unread 4 Apr 2003, 16:02   #10
KingGnome
PA addict

KingGnome is an unknown quantity at this point
A universe wrapped at cluster 50 is bad - it would restrict the size of the universe... (or it would mean that some ppls gal m8's keep changing)

Personally, what I would like to see universe-organisation-wise would be something much much more complicated.

I would like to have all planets in a bubble - perhaps to make it simpler, it should be a set of 3d coordinates... coming out in a conceptual balloon, so as the universe grows, planets are added at the outside edge of this balloon (after shuffle ofc...)

your galaxy (or zone...) m8's could be the 8+9+9 ppl which differ by one digit - this might only be practical in a random universe... I'm not entirely sure about how private "galaxies" would work...

[x,y,z] --> zone m8's = [(x+1/x-1),(y+1,y,y-1),(z+1,z,z-1)]

The result of this would be the removal of galaxies as we imagine them (e.g. 3 of x,y,z's zonem8's are different to x+1,y,z's zonem8s)

With a system like that, and with time travel based on the euclidean(sp?) distance, it would make a huge difference to the way the game dynamics work...

one planet being the largest planet in the universe would no longer be able to directly threaten the 10th largest on the other side of the universe - since the 10th largest probably has sufficient allies slightly closer to get sufficient defence...

One of the largest drawbacks of this approach is that it would completely change the game of planetarion - but isnt that what R10 needs?

[edit: perhaps the "private galaxy" could be the 7 people involved in a 3d cross... would bring renewed meaning to the GC, since he'd be at the center and the only person who was closest to all of his "galaxy" (everyone else would have 1 person who was 1 space outside his closest neighbours) - I like that idea actually ]

Last edited by KingGnome; 4 Apr 2003 at 16:36.
KingGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Apr 2003, 16:45   #11
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

KingGnome: Any grouping is just that; 'a grouping'. Wether its 2D or 3D doesn't change that fact. And the only thing a 3D model offers that i can see is added complexit, for no apparent gain.

And the idea of disbanding galaxies; i'm not for that either .. Since everybody would have a different center, and want to be the center of their own local ally, it would wreak chaos :-) (hmm... on second thought, might be fun though) (However, i'd much rather have this feature in a 2D-universe than a 3D-universe..)

For adding galaxies, who says galaxies have to be added to the "end"? If the entire thing is round, you can stick in new clusters anywhere, it'll be the same. Which preferably means spreading them out evenly. You'll have to figure out something smart with the co-ors though...

Either way; increasing Cluster size instead of universe size when adding more galaxies after tick start would seem more balanced imo. (it removes the problem of having to change co-ords too)
Unread 4 Apr 2003, 16:59   #12
KingGnome
PA addict

Quote:
Originally posted by hyfe
KingGnome: Any grouping is just that; 'a grouping'. Wether its 2D or 3D doesn't change that fact. And the only thing a 3D model offers that i can see is added complexit, for no apparent gain.
Not really... because the difference isnt as easy between 2d and 3d coordinates - the difference that I was trying to get at was between what is considered as a single unit
Currently, a single unit is a galaxy, and any C/P/time travel discussions are centered around a galaxy...
most 3d models could also be significantly closer to what the reality would be

any change thats going to make a large enough impact is going to have to be huge
Unread 4 Apr 2003, 18:02   #13
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

I understood what you meant; I just didn't make myself clear enough

You can have no single units with a 2D universe too ( A square which wraps around edges perhaps?)(or if you want added complexity, use something like the surface of a sphere(nice for traveltimes)). It'll be just like having gal.size = 1.. with different travel times between different galaxies..

Either way; 2D is alot more understandable than 3D, so what are the advantages of 3D?
Unread 4 Apr 2003, 18:24   #14
KingGnome
PA addict

Quote:
Either way; 2D is alot more understandable than 3D, so what are the advantages of 3D?
3D is just an "extension" of 2D - yes, it takes a little longer to work out how far [1,2,3] is from [19,7,-5] than it does to work out how far [1,2] is from [19,7] - but the actual working out in either case is likely to be done by a web tool or similar (i.e. it may take a lazy player 30 seconds with a piece of paper to work out the 2d distance, but only 10 to load up a tool and type it in... which is going to win?)
I personally dont think that 3 sets of coordinates should be seen as any different to 2.5 - which is what we have at the moment
If a non-trivial travel time is going to be employed (as I think it should be) then tools will sort out how long it takes rather than ppl trying to work it out themselves

Conceptually, a 2d system is fake - the current 2.5 system even more so... and if a 2d system were employed with the "units" being planets, then it would be yet more fake

Part of the attraction for me about the 3d system is that it is more realistic - the world is 3d, space is 3d, ANY sort of space combat will be 3 dimensional

with a 3d system, you would get rid of the .5 concepts of clusters or paralells (which I admit you could do with a 2d system, but I feel that would be just as confusing as with a 3d system, so its not really a reason to keep 2d)

I guess you could ask what the advantage of quake is over doom - being able to move around in 3d space is more complicated because we have this extra dimension, but the freedom of the player completely changed the genre...

I dont think that moving PA to 3d would have the same effect on PA as quake did to 3d shooters, but I really do think that the vast majority of gamers (not pa players, but gamers as a whole) would find the third dimension to be not a problem
Unread 4 Apr 2003, 20:02   #15
Sun_Tzu
Arrogant Fck

Sun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of light
Position the gals in a 3D-envirement then and add a 4th coord for each planet, either way, has nothing to do with the ETA-discussion since you are both advocating the same thing...

The problem as I see it is that the huge travel-times(and more so, the differences in them) as proposed are fecking illogical, why the hell do we build wormhole manipulation-tools if we're not gonna be able to open up a wormhole and get where we want fast? besides, space-warfair between galaxies even would require the use of some sort of wormhole or you'll have to spend a human life-time attacking...

Oh yeah, and to make the sending 6:55 pointless you could have the fleet "stall" for a tick(both defence and offence), basicly you issue an order and it takes them a tick to gather the fleet and open the wormhole. However your target doesn't get a notice until the next tick when your ships are on-route.

Random Stupid Smilie: :e_chick:

Edit: And if you want some logical faster eta's make them to the gals that differ 1 co-ord from yours, with a 3D system this would be 8gals around each gal that are "closer"
Unread 4 Apr 2003, 20:52   #16
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

Quote:
Originally posted by KingGnome
3D is just an "extension" of 2D - yes, it takes a little longer to work out how far [1,2,3] is from [19,7,-5] than it does to work out how far [1,2] is from [19,7] - but the actual working out in either case is likely to be done by a web tool or similar (i.e. it may take a lazy player 30 seconds with a piece of paper to work out the 2d distance, but only 10 to load up a tool and type it in... which is going to win?)
Well... if you want to move away from groups (as in galaxies) you need co-ordinates that are easily workable. The coding part of doing it is trivial, that i agree with, but using the 3D system as a player is not trivial.... Think about the poor BC's!

Another way to think about positions; is a set of distances between planets. It is this set of distances which makes the difference. It doesn't matter if you annote positions with 3, 5 or 42 numbers (or letters), in the end its just a set of distances. Now: given that players are going to use this set of distances, for my part; you need heavier arguments than 'realism' (as a spacewarfare game is in itself inherit unrealistic) to justify bringing in adde complexity.....
Unread 4 Apr 2003, 20:58   #17
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

Quote:
Originally posted by Sun_Tzu

The problem as I see it is that the huge travel-times(and more so, the differences in them) as proposed are fecking illogical, why the hell do we build wormhole manipulation-tools if we're not gonna be able to open up a wormhole and get where we want fast? besides, space-warfair between galaxies even would require the use of some sort of wormhole or you'll have to spend a human life-time attacking...
Illogical? Are you applying logic to how a wormhole is supposed to work?

either way its hugely irrelevant imo. If you're going for realism; how about fixing the targetting system?
Unread 4 Apr 2003, 23:57   #18
Andy_r
X$X

Andy_r is an unknown quantity at this point
There seems to be a lot of support for wrap-round co-ordinates when calculating etas.

This has 2 problems (only one of which I realised when I posted in Spinner's thread)

1) the lowest cluster numbers will soon be too big to attack the newly inserted high clusters that are next to them.

2) what happens when a new cluster is inserted while ships are in motion across the discontinuity? Return etas would occasionally be longer than send etas? Could alliances sign up accounts in order to slow down enemy fleets?

My suggestion is to fix the number of clusters at tick 1, and only add players to existing galaxies after then, giving everyone an 11th player, then a 12th and so on.
R3 172:21:12 | R 4 136:8:5 | R5 30:25:12 | R6 11:5:1 | R7 40:25:17 | R8 30:1:5 | R9.5 36:10:14 | R10 1:5:9 Boldness of Helvetica

Proud to have been [YHQ] until the end of YHQ [VtS] until the end of Legion [Titans] until the end of Titans and |R6B| for Speedgames
Andy_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Apr 2003, 01:17   #19
Sun_Tzu
Arrogant Fck

Quote:
Illogical? Are you applying logic to how a wormhole is supposed to work?

either way its hugely irrelevant imo. If you're going for realism; how about fixing the targetting system?
indeed, that'd be great, remove all targetings so all firing is random(bcalcs are obsolete) and the set it so that you can hit your own units in battle(and other allied units), hitting your own more frequently the bigger your bashing of the enemy is.

Now that'd be exciting to play
Unread 5 Apr 2003, 01:31   #20
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy_r
There seems to be a lot of support for wrap-round co-ordinates when calculating etas.

This has 2 problems (only one of which I realised when I posted in Spinner's thread)

1) the lowest cluster numbers will soon be too big to attack the newly inserted high clusters that are next to them.

2) what happens when a new cluster is inserted while ships are in motion across the discontinuity? Return etas would occasionally be longer than send etas? Could alliances sign up accounts in order to slow down enemy fleets?

My suggestion is to fix the number of clusters at tick 1, and only add players to existing galaxies after then, giving everyone an 11th player, then a 12th and so on.
That is all from the premise that all new added gals will be added to the same place. In a wrap around universe which have no ends; this would be and extremely silly thing to do
Unread 5 Apr 2003, 02:15   #21
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation

Quote:
Well.. as long as there is no specified center, I don't think the situation will become 'as bad' as it was r4, as there will be no really 'natural groupings'.
The groupings will be just as real whether they're "natural" or not. If you're close to a bunch of local galaxies that are allied against you, and your allies are all further away, then you're screwed. You'll be smacked down and there's nothing you, or you allies, can do about it.
Quote:
Combined with random or semi-random galaxies i think is a good thing[tm]
Possibly; but when you tie major changes together it makes it rather difficult to evaluate them on their (individual) merits.
Quote:
Were You expecting something more innovative? or hoping for something more innovative?
Yes. (both, actually)
Quote:
... There is only so much you can do as long as you stay within the genre
I really hope you're wrong about that, because I think they've milked this particular genre for all it's worth. I don't see this R10 travel time proposal as being much different from r4 parallels. They've been mostly recycling ideas since R1 and I was really hoping they'd finally go for something a bit more radical.

Also, I think people are getting sidetracked on how the universe would wrap around and how new players/galaxies/clusters would be added. Technically, it's not really a difficult problem (not that PA couldn't manage to screw it up anyway ), but it's not really germane to how the proposed travel time would affect the game. Let's just stipulate that the universe wraps around and move on. If people really want to talk about universe geometry, perhaps someone could start a new thread?

The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.

Last edited by Tactitus; 5 Apr 2003 at 04:58.
Unread 5 Apr 2003, 06:09   #22
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point
When I look at how it is now: before the shuffle a lot of gals are opened. After the shuffle and combination of gals, empty gals remain. Those are still nog filled. All you need to do is fill the holes by randomly selecting an emtpy gal and filling it.

If you do random gals, you could also opt for a system with 10 people/gal where you can later add new players to each gal by lifting the maximum per gal to 11, 12...112(?!). Would be a nice feature.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Apr 2003, 15:03   #23
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Chax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
I guess you could ask what the advantage of quake is over doom - being able to move around in 3d space is more complicated because we have this extra dimension, but the freedom of the player completely changed the genre...

I dont think that moving PA to 3d would have the same effect on PA as quake did to 3d shooters, but I really do think that the vast majority of gamers (not pa players, but gamers as a whole) would find the third dimension to be not a problem
I was following your argument up until this point. But now I don't get it any more.

There is a difference between Quake and Doom apart from the minimum requirements on hardware?
Unread 5 Apr 2003, 16:07   #24
hAl
ensign forever

hAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these parts
Quote:
A universe wrapped at cluster 50 is bad - it would restrict the size of the universe... (or it would mean that some ppls gal m8's keep changing)

Personally, what I would like to see universe-organisation-wise would be something much much more complicated.

I would like to have all planets in a bubble - perhaps to make it simpler, it should be a set of 3d coordinates... coming out in a conceptual balloon, so as the universe grows, planets are added at the outside edge of this balloon (after shuffle ofc...)

your galaxy (or zone...) m8's could be the 8+9+9 ppl which differ by one digit - this might only be practical in a random universe... I'm not entirely sure about how private "galaxies" would work...

[x,y,z] --> zone m8's = [(x+1/x-1),(y+1,y,y-1),(z+1,z,z-1)]

The result of this would be the removal of galaxies as we imagine them (e.g. 3 of x,y,z's zonem8's are different to x+1,y,z's zonem8s)

With a system like that, and with time travel based on the euclidean(sp?) distance, it would make a huge difference to the way the game dynamics work...

one planet being the largest planet in the universe would no longer be able to directly threaten the 10th largest on the other side of the universe - since the 10th largest probably has sufficient allies slightly closer to get sufficient defence...

One of the largest drawbacks of this approach is that it would completely change the game of planetarion - but isnt that what R10 needs?

[edit: perhaps the "private galaxy" could be the 7 people involved in a 3d cross... would bring renewed meaning to the GC, since he'd be at the center and the only person who was closest to all of his "galaxy" (everyone else would have 1 person who was 1 space outside his closest neighbours) - I like that idea actually ]
Even with a balloon the people on the edge have a completly different kind of universe than people on the middle. Peoples location would still be importart to have any chance of them winning. And where the suggested wrapping idea might work (possibly) for a 2D universe it seems hard to implement for a 3d universe.

The galaxy idea forming from the natural alignent of the planets like in the 3d cross you suggest would mean that every planet was member in 6 gals and GC of a seventh. Amusing but unworkable. More practical would be a 3x3x3 cube forming a gal with 27 members.

hAl
Unread 5 Apr 2003, 16:16   #25
hAl
ensign forever

hAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tactitus

What is different is that anyone in a local alliance as you call it has a different look upon the universe where in r4 parallel the situation in a par was the same for all. But if you have a localized alliance in an area then some gal might be closer to another hostile area than others or some might be closer to an unorganised area of the universe that is easy to roid.

In a parallel r4 like universe all galaxies within a para alliance were in the same situation and to cooperate was good but for all in a 2D universe the gals in the middle of an allied area have no close target or close enemies where the gals on the edge could have either.

hAl
Unread 5 Apr 2003, 22:43   #26
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by hAl
What is different is that anyone in a local alliance as you call it has a different look upon the universe where in r4 parallel the situation in a par was the same for all.
Yes, but how different will it really be? If we're neighbors, then our travel times to most points in the universe will be the same. Yes, there will be a few places closer to you than me, and vice versa; but most of the universe will look the same (wrt travel time). Likewise, our neighbors once removed will have a few more planets that are closer or further away; but still, for most destinations, they will have the same travel times as we do.
Quote:
But if you have a localized alliance in an area then some gal might be closer to another hostile area than others or some might be closer to an unorganised area of the universe that is easy to roid.
Yes, my galaxy might be closer to a hostile area than yours; but as long as you have the minimum travel time to defend me, then no problems, right?

Not to say there won't be a few interesting edge cases, but I think that for the vast majority of players, it'll be a lot like R4.
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 04:49   #27
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold
Given the expected player base I would expect it to be a lot more like round 9 than round 4

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
MAdnRisKy is offline   Reply With Quote