User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 24 Jun 2010, 10:25   #201
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: World Cup Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tietäjä View Post
If Franck Ribery gets sent off in the game against South Africa for a reckless headbutt because someone insulted his 14-y-o mistress then yes it'd be la parfait.
Man it was Yoann Gourcoff and no reckless headbutt and a lipreading mystery around Franck Ribery's under-aged mistresses. I'm decently satisfied with this solution.

And Ghana will trash USA to make it to quarters.

ps. what i don't understand is why people mock g johnson so much. i don't think he's been particularily dreadful defending, with a few flashes of quality there too (e.g. the block that followed terry's block), and he's definitely been a great flair player for england going forward on the right flank. i've really fancied his play during the first three games. i'm looking forward to seeing his defensives challenged by the german manschaft.

Last edited by Tietäjä; 24 Jun 2010 at 10:39.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jun 2010, 08:08   #202
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute

Dare I say I'm extremely happy Italy has been knocked out? I saw the last 30 minutes of that game and it was really nice to watch.

I don't know if the offside goal was cancelled correctly. They showed many replays and in some, you could see the attacking in an offside position, but there were equal amount of replays that showed he was on the same line as the defenders.

I'm also surprised Japan got through. I really thought Danmark would be able to handle them.

for tonight I hope both Brazil and Portugal to go through (most likely nway) and Spain and Chile to go through (spain needs to win from Chile, and I hope Swiss plays a draw against Honduras). In that case we'll have some very interesting 1/16th finals:

Argentina vs Mexico --> 2 S.American countries, very attacking playstyle. Should be interesting

England vs Germany --> a historical clash with loads of tradition. Could be a rather boring match though.

Spain (if they go through) vs Portual/Brazil --> Should be a great game to watch.

FAnG Founder | CEO/HC | Ex Gaming Community Senate
Furious Angels Gaming community

FA Gaming community

No need for a disclaimer ...
Kjeldoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jun 2010, 10:40   #203
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjeldoran View Post
Dare I say I'm extremely happy Italy has been knocked out? I saw the last 30 minutes of that game and it was really nice to watch.

Simply not good enough. Lack of a reliable keeper in the absense of Buffon and a solid playmaker in the absense of Pirlo were crippling enough.

Quote:
I don't know if the offside goal was cancelled correctly. They showed many replays and in some, you could see the attacking in an offside position, but there were equal amount of replays that showed he was on the same line as the defenders.

It was a close call. Could've gone either way, this time it went this way. The only thing that really stunned me was how the Slovakian keeper escaped with a yellow card off a punch in the face (you can drag this into a conversation how hard the punch was or what Quag did but it's not relevant). Since he got booked for it, however, it'd be reasonable to expect FIFA to land a three match ban on him afterwards. (to be honest, they've already allowed too many players in the tournament to get off with blatant violent conduct and i don't think it's sending a good message).

Last edited by Tietäjä; 25 Jun 2010 at 10:55.
Unread 25 Jun 2010, 10:50   #204
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute

Fifa will not ban him as the referee has seen what happened and penalized the keeper. If that didn't happen, then the FIFA can ban the player after the game, based on TV replays.

Yeah, Italy did miss their star keeper and the absence of Pirlo was also greatly noticable. Even when he got to play about 30 minutes, he still wasn't very convincing (which is understandable, recovering from an injury).

I do however believe Lippi made a tactical error in that last match. They needed to win to secure the next round. So why then does he start with 3 defensive midfielders?

He also made a judgement error by leaving Cassano at home. Ok, he might have been a difficult player but I do think he could have offered this Italy alot.

But yeah, it's easy to say these things afterwards ofcourse.

FA Gaming community

Unread 25 Jun 2010, 10:55   #205
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

I saw a great improvement in Italy the moment Pirlo came on, suddenly their whole passing-style changed.

Wonder why Quag wasn't used more though, he was great in the little time he had.
Unread 25 Jun 2010, 11:00   #206
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Yeah, improvement. But that still wasn't the great Pirlo we know. I do agree Quag should have started, his goal was a real beautie.

FA Gaming community

Unread 25 Jun 2010, 13:39   #207
nolezy
Class Clown

nolezy is just really nicenolezy is just really nicenolezy is just really nicenolezy is just really nicenolezy is just really nice

Quote:
And Ghana will trash USA to make it to quarters.
Would you say this is 99% American hatred and 1% football knowledge or just 100% American hatred?
nolezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jun 2010, 13:41   #208
nolezy
Class Clown

nolezy is just really nicenolezy is just really nicenolezy is just really nicenolezy is just really nicenolezy is just really nice

Quote:
(to be honest, they've already allowed too many players in the tournament to get off with blatant violent conduct and i don't think it's sending a good message).
I've been a bit surprised by this to be honest.. I guess I figured on the world's biggest stage FIFA might crack down on the conduct but I've seen several punches, kicks and hissy fits go completely unchecked (things that would normally get booked if caught).

Dempsey got quite clearly elbowed/punched in the Slovenia game and nothing came of it.. that's just my freshest memory but there's many more.
Unread 25 Jun 2010, 13:52   #209
M0RPH3US
idle

M0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt View Post
as far as predictions go, im going for an outside bet of England vs Argentina in final, England to lose, probably on penalties ofcourse!
if England should manage to eliminate Germany, which ofc is possible (i strongly hope it wont happen)

england will meet argentina in the next round allready (if they beat mexico), so a final between england and argentina isnt possible

"It´s not about how hard u hit, its about how hard u can get hit and still keep moving forward! How much u can take and still move forward!"
M0RPH3US is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jun 2010, 14:16   #210
Tietäjä
Good Son

Quote:
Fifa will not ban him as the referee has seen what happened and penalized the keeper. If that didn't happen, then the FIFA can ban the player after the game, based on TV replays.
They can issue post match suspensions on such situations - disciplinary committee typically will. For some reason though, they've been very, very lapse during this tournament. I think the view is very much on the contrary, though: if a referee doesn't act during the game, video replays won't typically result in additional disciplinary actions (say: obvious play acting; Luis Fabiano handballs, and so so). If there's a disciplinary decision made during game, the committee can expand it (and typically all straight red cards go through disciplinaries). (actually, the exact wording in the rules says "the secretariat carries out the necessary preliminary investigation ex officio under the chairman's guidance". CAS probably has a lot of leeway here. it's only hoped they'd do it more).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolez
Would you say this is 99% American hatred and 1% football knowledge or just 100% American hatred?
Is your argument 99% ad hominem and 1% understanding or 100% ad hominem?

My stake on Ghana is 100% for the admiration on the fluid attacking play they've displayed through the tournament.

Quote:
Dempsey got quite clearly elbowed/punched in the Slovenia game and nothing came of it.. that's just my freshest memory but there's many more.
Dempsey, David Villa. There's several. The amount of violent conduct they've allowed is quite staggering.

Last edited by Tietäjä; 25 Jun 2010 at 14:25.
Unread 25 Jun 2010, 14:35   #211
nolezy
Class Clown

Quote:
Is your argument 99% ad hominem and 1% understanding or 100% ad hominem?

My stake on Ghana is 100% for the admiration on the fluid attacking play they've displayed through the tournament.
Right, well forgive me if you think a team that was gifted a win against Serbia which eventually proved to be the difference in their advancement will 'trash' a team that won their group over a top 10 English squad and proved to play with an undeniable amount of heart.

I wouldn't be shocked if the US lost to Ghana, they're quite dangerous, but I'll be pretty astonished if it's a trashing either way.
Unread 25 Jun 2010, 14:45   #212
Tietäjä
Good Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolezy View Post
undeniable amount of heart.
Is your opinion based on 99% racism and hatred towards Africa and 1% on football knowledge?

Well forgive me if you think a team that was gifted a draw against England which this and that and this and that. If your footballing knowledge is so limited that you think a handball in a box is "gifting" then I'm not sure why I'm bothering to discuss this with you.

I take it when talking about playing with an undeniable amount of heart you didn't watch Ghana play Germany.

edit. ps. please whine more about me neg repping you based on a one-line post that contained nothing but a prejudiced, unfounded ad hominem assault.

Last edited by Tietäjä; 25 Jun 2010 at 14:53.
Unread 25 Jun 2010, 14:54   #213
nolezy
Class Clown

Quote:
Is your opinion based on 99% racism and hatred towards Africa and 1% on football knowledge?

Well forgive me if you think a team that was gifted a draw against England which this and that and this and that. If your footballing knowledge is so limited that you think a handball in a box is "gifting" then I'm not sure why I'm bothering to discuss this with you.
Right, so you went out of your way to negative rep someone for an Ad Hominem arguement and then follow with two of your own. My point in saying that Ghana was 'gifted' the win wasn't in the officiating, it was in the foolish play that resulted in the PK. Apparently you assumed I meant it was an incorrect call which is not at all what I was referring too. But if you're truly concerned about my 'limited footballing knowledge' feel free to not comment.

If you could see through your veil you might be able to actually have a discussion about the teams in question. At this point you've said absolutely nothing of football worth that backs up your statement about Ghana trashing the US, which is merely what I was asking about in the first place.

I find it pretty reasonable to be curious why you feel a certain way about a match that could go many different ways.
Unread 25 Jun 2010, 15:01   #214
Tietäjä
Good Son

Quote:
Right, so you went out of your way to negative rep someone for an Ad Hominem arguement and then follow with two of your own
Because I have reason to believe that your arguments towards me are not based on any factual basis but simply a misplaced belief that I'm for some odd reason I can't quite tell anti-American. You've proven your strong prejudice already by stating that you think people fancy Ghana over America because they're "anti-american". If you'd actually read the previous pages you'd noticed that this wasn't the first time I noted Ghana.

Quote:
If you could see through your veil you might be able to actually have a discussion about the teams in question. At this point you've said absolutely nothing of football worth that backs up your statement about Ghana trashing the US, which is merely what I was asking about in the first place.
And your footballing contribution has to do with a claim that I'm somewhat anti-American and on those grounds stating something?

I've watched Ghana's games. I really fancy them for playing an attacking football and not placing 10 men in the box to defend. They're a young team (I can't remember if they're the youngest in the tournament, but they'll at least come close to Germany in youth) with a lot of talent (Ayew, Annan, Jonathan Mensah to name ones I've found particularily pleasing). Typically African, it's a very physically strong and fast team, and they showed against Germany how they're able to put holes in the arguably one of the strongest of defences consistently. What they've been lacking in finishing is the confidence, and I'm hoping they'll gain some after a well fought narrow loss to Germany.

They qualified off one of the tougher groups and performed admirably against a reasonably strong German side that has, unlike England (who have been piss poor for their standards, hardly "top England show") showed glimps of their quality in the group stages. They don't bow to primadonnas (you see Muntari on bench a lot for being a bit of a troublemaker, even if he's one of their "big names"). If this isn't their year, then four years from now they'll come back with more experience, more confidence, and a serious contender for later stages.
Unread 25 Jun 2010, 15:15   #215
nolezy
Class Clown

Quote:
Because I have reason to believe that your arguments towards me are not based on any factual basis but simply a misplaced belief that I'm for some odd reason I can't quite tell anti-American. You've proven your strong prejudice already by stating that you think people fancy Ghana over America because they're "anti-american". If you'd actually read the previous pages you'd noticed that this wasn't the first time I noted Ghana.

And your footballing contribution has to do with a claim that I'm somewhat anti-American and on those grounds stating something?
I made a joke about your comment and obviously hit a nerve of some sort. Furthermore, I've proven a strong prejudice by saying that I wouldn't be surprised if Ghana beat the US and saying that I think it'll be a close affair either way. Not sure I follow where you're getting that I said that people 'fancy Ghana over American because they're anti-american'.

Quote:
I've watched Ghana's games. I really fancy them for playing an attacking football and not placing 10 men in the box to defend. They're a young team (I can't remember if they're the youngest in the tournament, but they'll at least come close to Germany in youth) with a lot of talent (Ayew, Annan, Jonathan Mensah to name ones I've found particularily pleasing). Typically African, it's a very physically strong and fast team, and they showed against Germany how they're able to put holes in the arguably one of the strongest of defences consistently. What they've been lacking in finishing is the confidence, and I'm hoping they'll gain some after a well fought narrow loss to Germany.

They qualified off one of the tougher groups and performed admirably against a reasonably strong German side that has, unlike England (who have been piss poor for their standards, hardly "top England show") showed glimps of their quality in the group stages. They don't bow to primadonnas (you see Muntari on bench a lot for being a bit of a troublemaker, even if he's one of their "big names"). If this isn't their year, then four years from now they'll come back with more experience, more confidence, and a serious contender for later stage
That's all I really was hoping to hear. I appreciate hearing other people's insight into matchups - especially when they favor a side that I do not necessarily follow. Unfortunately, being in an area where football (or soccer as everyone calls it here) is, to say the least, not popular, it is difficult to find a competant follower to discuss the World Cup with.

Regardless, I agree with most everything you say here although I'm not convinced that Group D was as difficult as some others (not saying Group C was more so).

Personally, I'd love to see Bradley find a solid team to show up with and not have a revolving door of starters. I don't think Oneywu is even remotely 100% and some of our youth seem to be quite nervous in the spotlight. Thankfully, Howard has led a solid defensive effort and as long as Cherundolo, Bocanegra, DeMerit and Bornstein can stay focused and get some help from the others I think the US will be good enough to keep Ghana off the board for most of the game. I'm hoping Altidore can show up for a game and use his physical advantage to help negate the bodies the African nations are well known for throwing around.
Unread 25 Jun 2010, 15:20   #216
Tietäjä
Good Son

Quote:
Furthermore, I've proven a strong prejudice by
picking up the first prediction against USA and claiming it's 99% because of hatred towards America without actually bothering to, say, browse the previous pages of the thread.

Quote:
Regardless, I agree with most everything you say here although I'm not convinced that Group D was as difficult as some others (not saying Group C was more so).
The England group was hideous at best. Proven by the touted title challengers' lacklustre performance overall, and a very mediocre Algeria side proving difficult to beat for many. Germany's probably been the only European nation to "impress" (I guess Portugal right now have their chance, and Spain will have theirs later today).
Unread 26 Jun 2010, 20:17   #217
Tietäjä
Good Son

Speaking of undeniable amount of heart, the only USA player to match the obvious desire of Ghana to fight for every inch so far's been Bradley. They're going to need a handful of more Bradley to turn it around.

edit. yeah they found some.
edit. good battle. but yeah, 99% american hatred. well deserved victory. ayew's almost outrageously easy yellow card is a massive blow.

Last edited by Tietäjä; 26 Jun 2010 at 22:08.
Unread 27 Jun 2010, 07:57   #218
M0RPH3US
idle

M0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really nice

today is the day !

3 lions gonna get put into kiddy zoo

so close to beating germany, but hey....

Germany 3:1 England

"It´s not about how hard u hit, its about how hard u can get hit and still keep moving forward! How much u can take and still move forward!"
M0RPH3US is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jun 2010, 19:36   #219
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Paisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0RPH3US View Post
today is the day !

3 lions gonna get put into kiddy zoo

so close to beating germany, but hey....

Germany 3:1 England
they think its all over ...... it is now
Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jun 2010, 09:36   #220
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

[Sarcasm]So Kila ... Brazil really OWNED Portugal big time aye. They really showed them what football is all about ... [/SARCASM]

I do however hope Spain wins from Portugal (as I'm a huge Spain fan).

FA Gaming community

Unread 28 Jun 2010, 09:41   #221
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Eventhough Germany was alot better then England, the referee did a major, if not the biggest so far, screwup on this tournament. The ball was clearly over the line, and this by atleast half a meter.

It's a shame as it influenced the result. But I still believe Germany earned their victory.

Argentina was also magnificent again, allthough Messi wasn't all the great as the previous games (probably because Marquez was defending him and he knows him from Barcelona). Allthough 2 major screwups lead Argentina to a 2-0 lead in the first half. The last goal from Hernandes (who appearantly joined Manchester United) was really nice aswell.

FA Gaming community

Unread 28 Jun 2010, 12:14   #222
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Argentina was also magnificent again, allthough Messi wasn't all the great as the previous games (probably because Marquez was defending him and he knows him from Barcelona). Allthough 2 major screwups lead Argentina to a 2-0 lead in the first half. The last goal from Hernandes (who appearantly joined Manchester United) was really nice aswell.
From what I've heard, (didn't see the entire match) Mexico was the better team untill Argentina scored from a clear offside position.
2 huge referee / linesman screwups yesterday. Although the better teams qualified I think it's time the fifa start entroducing a system like in American Football where x-amounts of referee decisions can be challenged by coach & then reviewed.
It's becoming more & more clear that the current referee system just isn't working anymore with present day football.

On the other hand, chances of our Belgian De Bleeckere being chosen to referee the final have gone up significantly since yesterday

FRANKSKE IN DE FINALE!!!

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jun 2010, 12:27   #223
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Fifa just replied that they will not allow technological aid. Hence TV replays won't be an option. It's a shame tbh.

Mexico was the better team the first 25 minutes indeed. But I still think Argentina deserved the victory ...

And yeah, the more other refs screw up, the better it is for ours.

Normal pple root for their team on the WC. We root for our referee, due to lack of a national team on the WC

FA Gaming community

Unread 28 Jun 2010, 12:45   #224
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

Appearantly fifa doesn't have money for technological aids but they do have money to fly their fat president to every game in the world cup...

Just like the KBVB (Belgian football association) the FIFA is ruled by old wankers who act as if it's still 1970...

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Unread 28 Jun 2010, 12:49   #225
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
[Sarcasm]So Kila ... Brazil really OWNED Portugal big time aye. They really showed them what football is all about ... [/SARCASM]

I do however hope Spain wins from Portugal (as I'm a huge Spain fan).
Considering the fact that Brazil were without their best players for this match (Kaka, Elano, Robinho) and still managed more possession, shots and corners I think you've got to be fairly braindead to still consider Portugal contenders and still say that Brazil aren't.
Unread 28 Jun 2010, 13:39   #226
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Kila_ View Post
Considering the fact that Brazil were without their best players for this match (Kaka, Elano, Robinho) and still managed more possession, shots and corners I think you've got to be fairly braindead to still consider Portugal contenders and still say that Brazil aren't.
Spain had more possession, more shots and more corners against Swiss. Yet Swiss won the match, Spain didn't ...

For the last time, I'm not claiming Brazil got a bad team, not at all. If they win the WC, I'll be very happy because I enjoy watching Brazil play.

Nway, doesn't matter. Portugal needs to play Spain, possibly their hardest match this WC. I hope Spain wins (eventhough I do like Portugal alot aswell).

FA Gaming community

Unread 28 Jun 2010, 14:17   #227
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Quote:
Nway, doesn't matter. Portugal needs to play Spain, possibly their hardest match this WC. I hope Spain wins (eventhough I do like Portugal alot aswell).
I hope Spain wins caus i can't stand Ronaldo

Unread 28 Jun 2010, 14:23   #228
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedeejem! View Post
I hope Spain wins caus i can't stand Ronaldo
I'm a huge fan of Ronaldo, but I'm an even bigger fan of Spain so ...

FA Gaming community

Unread 28 Jun 2010, 14:34   #229
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Spain had more possession, more shots and more corners against Swiss. Yet Swiss won the match, Spain didn't ...
Portugal didn't win though...

Quote:
For the last time, I'm not claiming Brazil got a bad team, not at all. If they win the WC, I'll be very happy because I enjoy watching Brazil play.
No but you kept claiming that Portugal are better than Brazil, which I've explained to you is not true.

Also, now you'd suddenly like to see them win the WC?
Quote:
I'm sure they'll reach quarter finals, I doubt they'll manage to see semi finals.

Atleast, I sure hope they don't.
Unread 28 Jun 2010, 14:40   #230
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Portugal didn't win though...
True, neither did Brazil.

Quote:
No but you kept claiming that Portugal are better than Brazil, which I've explained to you is not true.
I still think they are. Portugal has a better "team". Surely not better individual skills (allthough they do have Ronaldo). They also don't have their strongest team (no Nani, no Deco). Brazil often has exceptional individuals. This year they have great players, but they don't have a ronaldo, messi or rooney (yeah I know rooney and ronaldo haven't impressed yet this WC).

Quote:
Also, now you'd suddenly like to see them win the WC?
And when did I say that? Exactly, before the WC started. Then I only saw Brazil in their qualifying games. Which weren't impressive (neither was Argentina though). I've always been a fan of Brazil, only new their game isn't so appealing to watch, not like that of Chile, Spain or Argentina atleast (in my opinion). I prefer Spain, Argentina or Portugal to win this WC. So if Brazil needs to play one of these teams, I hope they lose. Any other team I hope they can beat yeah.

FA Gaming community

Unread 30 Jun 2010, 09:18   #231
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Anyone saw the game yesterday? I did. I'm very glad Spain got through. There did controle the match and were pretty dangerous at the start of the game and at the start of the 2nd half. All in all, a very deserved win imo.

Paraguay shouldn't be an issue, but you never know in football.

I hope Argentina beats Germany (will be hard) and I hope Holland beats Brazil (I adore Robben, he played an amazing season). Then we'd have Spain vs Argentina in the semi's and Holland vs Uruguay/Ghana ...

Either way, we'll have some awesome matches ahead.

FA Gaming community

Unread 1 Jul 2010, 10:49   #232
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

I think Uruguay will win their match vs Ghana tomorrow.
Ghana has too many injuries & players forced to sit out with yellow card suspension. Both are good teams but I rate Uruguay higher than Ghana, so far only south korea has managed to score a goal vs them so defensively they're good and with Suarez / Forlan as strikers...
Also quite happy with the fact that all the people i know irl that laughed with me when i said Uruguay could go far have to STFU now

Holland vs Brazil, don't really know which team is gonna come out on top. Both have been playing different football than we've come to expect from these countries. Will be an interesting game to see

Argentina vs Germany is another game where it's pretty hard to predict the winner.
Though I love Maradona and the natural flair he has I still hope Germany will win as they're the team that have impressed me the most so far (losing Ballack may actually have helped the team)

Spain will most likely win vs Paraguay, but I'm not a fan of the way they play. Really hope Paraguay pulls a Switserland here

My dream final: Uruguay - Germany (I've adopted uruguay caus belgium isn't playing again xD)

More realistic Final: Brazil - Spain

Hope to see some awesome matches and not the boring defensive crap we've seen too much allready at this world cup!

Unread 1 Jul 2010, 11:47   #233
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
I think Uruguay will win their match vs Ghana tomorrow.
Ghana has too many injuries & players forced to sit out with yellow card suspension. Both are good teams but I rate Uruguay higher than Ghana, so far only south korea has managed to score a goal vs them so defensively they're good and with Suarez / Forlan as strikers...
Also quite happy with the fact that all the people i know irl that laughed with me when i said Uruguay could go far have to STFU now

Holland vs Brazil, don't really know which team is gonna come out on top. Both have been playing different football than we've come to expect from these countries. Will be an interesting game to see

Argentina vs Germany is another game where it's pretty hard to predict the winner.
Though I love Maradona and the natural flair he has I still hope Germany will win as they're the team that have impressed me the most so far (losing Ballack may actually have helped the team)

Spain will most likely win vs Paraguay, but I'm not a fan of the way they play. Really hope Paraguay pulls a Switserland here

My dream final: Uruguay - Germany (I've adopted uruguay caus belgium isn't playing again xD)

More realistic Final: Brazil - Spain

Hope to see some awesome matches and not the boring defensive crap we've seen too much allready at this world cup!
Peronally, I hope Ghana wins. I'd like to see an African team in the Semi's.
If all goes to plan and the natural law of "the strongest wins", then Spain should be able to win from Paraguay. Offensively, they've not shown much at all. Perhaps you don't like Spanish playstyle, but you cannot possibly like the style of Paraguay even more?

Sadly enough atm, Spain = Villa (4 out of 5 goals). If he stays on form, they'll do well. Torres hasn't found his old level yet. The defense is solid but against Portugal you also noticed that a goal is easily made (like the near owngoal from Puyol or the free kick of Ronaldo where Casillas appeared to have troubles with).

I'm no fan of Germany, eventhough they played pretty impressive so far. I hope Argentina wins. If they can convert their chances into goals, then Argentina makes a chance.

Holland vs Brazil ... it's not the holland we're used to see from the previous WC and EC. But perhaps that's a good thing? Atm, Alot of pple made fun of their defense, but tbh they've been really solid.

FA Gaming community

Unread 1 Jul 2010, 12:29   #234
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

I may stand alone in this one, but i find Spain very boring to watch.
All that possesion and hardly any chances created from it.
Just pass the ball around 15.000 times and hope you'll find an opening through the defense sooner or later...

Unread 1 Jul 2010, 12:40   #235
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
I may stand alone in this one, but i find Spain very boring to watch.
All that possesion and hardly any chances created from it.
Just pass the ball around 15.000 times and hope you'll find an opening through the defense sooner or later...
Hardly any chances?

Spain had 19 shots of which 10 on goal against Portugal. The first 1à minutes they could have scored 2 times. If Eduardo didn't play such an amazing game, Spain would have capped a few more.

Like Liorente who was close to a goal twice in the 30 mins he actually played.

Unlike alot of other countries, they actually play football. They have the technique to beat their oponent. Their passes are so magnificent and they're the only team that can play one-time football so perfectly.

The only think I'd like to see them doing more, is attacking using the left or right side. But they don't have the players for that.

But ok, everyone has their preference so np

FA Gaming community

Unread 5 Jul 2010, 08:20   #236
Tietäjä
Good Son

Sadly, it seems Lineker was right despite all of it.

Spain's so unimpressive and lacklustre they're not going to mount a serious challenge unless they improve dramatically, the Dutch are good but not good enough.
Unread 5 Jul 2010, 09:04   #237
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Sadly, it seems Lineker was right despite all of it.

Spain's so unimpressive and lacklustre they're not going to mount a serious challenge unless they improve dramatically, the Dutch are good but not good enough.
I'm afraid you're correct here. I seriously hope Spain will beat Germany, but I'm afraid they will not come even close.

I mean, the magnificance they showed when dealing with Argentina was impressive. Imo Germany is the #1 contestor for the cup.

What I don't get is that they keep having faith in Torres. He has played a terrible game every single time so far ...

Paraguay was decent but I wouldn't say that Spain stole the victory.

@Kila: Seems Brazil isn't going to win now are they? Like I said, they have a good team, but nowhere near good enough to beat everyone else.

I'm glad 3/4 semi finalists are EU countries. I doubt Uruguay will be able to stop The Netherlands now that Suarez isn't allowed to play and their 2 main DC's can't play either.

FA Gaming community

Unread 5 Jul 2010, 09:26   #238
Tietäjä
Good Son

Quote:
Imo Germany is the #1 contestor for the cup.
Yeah, I had my doubts after the relatively mediocre Serbia game (granted they played a lot of it a man down), but trashing England was impressive, and while it was still possible to put that down into crap England side, Argentina's not been that bad to warrant saying it wasn't Germany's complete dominance that made the game.

You just can't let them score the first goal and get into the fast counter play. I guess if Spain's able to keep the play slow and control the game while remaining concentrated in the back they'll have a good chance. Germany's just been a phenomenom though.

Quote:
Paraguay was decent but I wouldn't say that Spain stole the victory.
Yeah. It was written down when they sent in Pedro and Fabregas. I rate both these people above several that currently play (I'd drop Xavi for Fabregas since well, I think Xavi's been very mediocre, and yeah, possibly Torres for Pedro to bring in some energy and width).

However, Uruguay did steal theirs. Ghana could have mounted a challenge against the Dutch with the younger Mensah and Ayew returning from suspensions, but I guess it's safe to say Suarez's sacrifice could prove a big one for the Uruguayans. I'm so rooting for Ghana in four years, they've been an inspiration.
Unread 5 Jul 2010, 09:37   #239
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:

Yeah. It was written down when they sent in Pedro and Fabregas. I rate both these people above several that currently play (I'd drop Xavi for Fabregas since well, I think Xavi's been very mediocre, and yeah, possibly Torres for Pedro to bring in some energy and width).

However, Uruguay did steal theirs. Ghana could have mounted a challenge against the Dutch with the younger Mensah and Ayew returning from suspensions, but I guess it's safe to say Suarez's sacrifice could prove a big one for the Uruguayans. I'm so rooting for Ghana in four years, they've been an inspiration.
I'd also start with Fabregas instead of Torres. Xavi has indeed been relatively mediocre. Xabi Alonso isn't consistant either. He played some absolute top matches, but then this match against Paraguay wasn't his best game either.

The problem with Spain is that they're to dependant on Villa, regardless how brilliant he is. If you can lock him down, you lock down Spain.

Spain isn't used to high pressing opponents either. They are however dangerous when they can play their game and move the ball around.

I'm also impressed with Ramos. He's been playing really great. So great that Madrid suddenly isn't persueing Maicon anymore.

FA Gaming community

Unread 5 Jul 2010, 10:56   #240
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

I really doubt Spain will be able to stop this Germany.
I'm guessing Spain will be harder to beat than England or Argentina, but they'll probably lose 2-1 or 2-0 to Germany.
Though Muller not being able to play makes them a bit weaker, they have a great bench and no doubt they can replace him.

It's also looking good for my neighbours to the north, I's great for Uruguay that they managed to get this far, but they probably won't make it to the finals without Suarez, Lugano, Fuccile ...

If it comes to a Holland - Germany final I hope Germany wins caus they've been the best team at this world cup

Unread 5 Jul 2010, 11:01   #241
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
I'm guessing Spain will be harder to beat than England or Argentina, but they'll probably lose 2-1 or 2-0 to Germany.
Though Muller not being able to play makes them a bit weaker, they have a great bench and no doubt they can replace him.

It's also looking good for my neighbours to the north, I's great for Uruguay that they managed to get this far, but they probably won't make it to the finals without Suarez, Lugano, Fuccile ...

If it comes to a Holland - Germany final I hope Germany wins caus they've been the best team at this world cup
Up until now they have been the best team, hands down. But the team that wins in the end will be the best team :-)

Spain can beat Germany if Torres is in shape and if Spain can play their favourite game. Don't forget they beat this German squad a few months ago during a friendly.

But like I said, Spain will have to improve their game drastically. The German play actually favours Spain. They give their opponent space and they don't press that hard, which is what Spain wants.

FA Gaming community

Unread 5 Jul 2010, 11:09   #242
Tietäjä
Good Son

Quote:
Yeah. They do seem just that good right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdj
but they probably won't make it to the finals without Suarez, Lugano, Fuccile ...

Van der Wiedl is suspended, so's De Jong (although I'm sure they'll find someone else to hack feet off the bench to do De Jong's job. De Zeeuw?). Suarez however is a massive blow. I don't fancy Abreu. Maybe they'll push Edson Cavani higher instead, and line Lodeiro up at the start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjeldoran
Don't forget they beat this German squad a few months ago during a friendly.
Argentina also beat Germany in a friendly this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjeldoran
But like I said, Spain will have to improve their game drastically. The German play actually favours Spain. They give their opponent space and they don't press that hard, which is what Spain wants.

I'm not so sure about this one. Löw might as well go back down to how they've done so far too: they'll drop deep, hold the line, and let Spain do what they want - pass the ball in front of the box. It's not like the Spanish possession has yielded them great results in anything else but firing countless shots to the stands from 25. Germany will hit back with counters that make the Swiss counters (that scored one, almost two) look like pre-school kids playing. I think defending against fast counters is Spain's weakness, and fast counters also happen to be Germany's strong point. They're not gonna pause and look around, they'll swing hard and fast. Sounds like a killer game though.

Last edited by Tietäjä; 5 Jul 2010 at 11:14.
Unread 5 Jul 2010, 11:25   #243
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
I'm not so sure about this one. Löw might as well go back down to how they've done so far too: they'll drop deep, hold the line, and let Spain do what they want - pass the ball in front of the box. It's not like the Spanish possession has yielded them great results in anything else but firing countless shots to the stands from 25. Germany will hit back with counters that make the Swiss counters (that scored one, almost two) look like pre-school kids playing. I think defending against fast counters is Spain's weakness, and fast counters also happen to be Germany's strong point. They're not gonna pause and look around, they'll swing hard and fast. Sounds like a killer game though.
Thing is, the Spanish possession did eventually find the opening and the goal. Spain score most of it's goals playing this style. Paraguay countered this game pretty well but in the last 15 minutes, they allowed Spain to play possession football and Iniesta found an opening and Villa finished it.

Sure, Spain hasn't been dangerous in possession this WC but then again, a simple 1-0 proved to be enough in their last 2 games. Like you said, they need to avoid Germany taking the lead. when it stays 0-0 and the game is nearing the end, then it will favour Spain.

We both know Villa WILL have his chances. So far he finished them against every team, except for Swiss.

FA Gaming community

Unread 5 Jul 2010, 11:39   #244
Tietäjä
Good Son

Quote:
Like you said, they need to avoid Germany taking the lead. when it stays 0-0 and the game is nearing the end, then it will favour Spain.
Yeah. As long as it's 0-0 or you're leading it's fine. If you go down odds are you'll go crashing. They're not unbeatable even with 11 though (saying the Serb game was 10). Ghana went close.

Of course David Villa will have his chances. A quick trivia would point that 26,3 % of Spain's shots come from his shoes.
Unread 5 Jul 2010, 11:44   #245
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

I think Germany versus Spain is going to be a hard one to call, but I'd lean towards a Germany win. One thing that has to happen though is that they ditch Torres for either Pedro or Fabregas. One thing that noone has really talked about up until now is the defensive capabilities of Sergio Ramos. Ramos is without a doubt one of the better attacking defenders out there, but he has a nasty tendency to leave acres of space behind him and he WILL be punished for this when they meet Germany. Paraguay almost managed to do this a few times, but Germany 100% wil manage. That is also one of the reasons I think Spain should continue with two holding midfielders.

As for the other semi-final I'd say this is also a pretty tight contest, and I sincerely doubt we will see a lot of goals. People have been moaning about Torres being bad, but surely Van Persie has not been any better. NO way Van Marwijk is dropping him though. I'm gonna be surprised if Holland don't win it, but it will be tight.
Unread 5 Jul 2010, 11:46   #246
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Yeah. As long as it's 0-0 or you're leading it's fine. If you go down odds are you'll go crashing. They're not unbeatable even with 11 though (saying the Serb game was 10). Ghana went close.

Of course David Villa will have his chances. A quick trivia would point that 26,3 % of Spain's shots come from his shoes.
Yup, the longer it stays 0-0 the more chance Spain will have. But they'll have to defend extremely well as Germany seems to score rather easily.

FA Gaming community

Unread 5 Jul 2010, 11:52   #247
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Originally Posted by isildurx View Post
I think Germany versus Spain is going to be a hard one to call, but I'd lean towards a Germany win. One thing that has to happen though is that they ditch Torres for either Pedro or Fabregas. One thing that noone has really talked about up until now is the defensive capabilities of Sergio Ramos. Ramos is without a doubt one of the better attacking defenders out there, but he has a nasty tendency to leave acres of space behind him and he WILL be punished for this when they meet Germany. Paraguay almost managed to do this a few times, but Germany 100% wil manage. That is also one of the reasons I think Spain should continue with two holding midfielders.
Well, I agree up to a certain point. He is a great attacking right back player. He makes great rushes, is able to defeat his opponent, has a really good cross and is always present and dangerous during corners. He's known to be a risky defender indeed, not always as secure.

Quote:
As for the other semi-final I'd say this is also a pretty tight contest, and I sincerely doubt we will see a lot of goals. People have been moaning about Torres being bad, but surely Van Persie has not been any better. NO way Van Marwijk is dropping him though. I'm gonna be surprised if Holland don't win it, but it will be tight.
Maybe he should have taken Van Nistelrooj with him after all. Because Van Persie hasn't been good indeed and Huntelaar hasn't impressed me either in the little time he played (his goal was basically a gift from Robben).

FA Gaming community

Unread 5 Jul 2010, 12:08   #248
Tietäjä
Good Son

Quote:
Ramos is without a doubt one of the better attacking defenders out there, but he has a nasty tendency to leave acres of space behind him and he WILL be punished for this when they meet Germany.

The problem in my opinion is that Spain's been playing predominantly through the middle. If you look at the starting lineups, you have Capdevila, Puyol, Pique, Ramos at the back. So that's with two full backs, two center halves. Then the mainstay of the midfield of Busquets, Xabi Alonso, Xavi, and Iniesta, none of which are very wide players. Then you got Villa and Torres, neither of which is really good at flanks either. In short, out of 10 outfield players 8 are stuck in the middle. The early group games, especially the Swizerland game, showed how easy it is to stagger the Spanish play by simply setting up a brick wall in the middle of the pitch.

So the solution to break the middle of the park brick walls has been to push Ramos and Capdevila more down the flanks, which leaves the space behind the full backs empty since it's obvious you're gonna struggle to see Busquets or Xabi Alonso fall back to the back flank to cover. I do think this is a problem, and for God's sake they have people like Mata, Pedro, and David Silva on the bench for width and they're still stubbornly sitting in the middle.
Unread 5 Jul 2010, 12:18   #249
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Iniesta can also play on the flank. He often does that at Barcelona. Villa can also operate from the flank (with Torres being the central striker). But I agree, you got Pedro and Silva who can both opperate from the side. also Mata allthough Pedro and Silva are better.

Then you also got Navas aswell, also a very good winger.

Perhaps he should leave Busquets on the bench for Silva.

FA Gaming community

Unread 5 Jul 2010, 12:26   #250
Tietäjä
Good Son

I was talking to a Spanish bloke about it earlier, and his reference was that Torres is unlikely to be on the starting lineup, with rather David Silva playing. I guess we'll see wednesday.