User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 24 Nov 2005, 12:57   #1
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Baron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud of
Quick english question, please help!

Quick As i can no longer afford english classes, I hope you can solve this little interesting question:
Whats the difference in saying

I used to drive home on sundays

AND!

I used driving home on sundays

?

I tried search for ONLINE ENGLISH TEACHERS but they have this serious issues of asking for money....

Thanks a lot, ill be most grateful to whoever solve this riddle!
Unread 24 Nov 2005, 12:59   #2
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: Quick english question, please help!

The difference is that the second one makes no sense.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2005, 13:13   #3
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Quick english question, please help!

The first indicates you once embarked on a car journey home each sunday.

The second that you utilised some object or act of the decription 'driving home' every sunday. perhaps 'driving home' is a place holder for 'anal sex', who knows, would make more sense anyway.
Unread 24 Nov 2005, 13:29   #4
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quite a few questions about english grammar can be solved by looking at Latin. This is one of them.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2005, 13:49   #5
Superpig #1
^ ^ Clearly Stolen ^ ^

Superpig #1 is infamous around these parts

Yep, second one makes no sense, unless you using it in place of "anal sex" (credit to djbass)

And the second one also indicates "driving" as a present tense in a sentance that is "past tense" if you get me.
This is a man in a wheelchair - &

and that was my sig.
Superpig #1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2005, 17:20   #6
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Baron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Quite a few questions about english grammar can be solved by looking at Latin. This is one of them.
in latin the infinitive tense is made up with only one word, which isnt the case in english and also tends to be the core issue in the problem at hand.

I got conpfused with that and now i realised the differece... that there is not sense in using gerund in the past tense ( oh dear) but i had this question for a while in my mind, and they did seem to be quite similar!

Thanks for all the help people! ill pos rep you lovely guys!
Unread 24 Nov 2005, 17:29   #7
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute

Whats you native language?
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2005, 17:39   #8
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Why hasn't he been deported yet?
Unread 24 Nov 2005, 17:54   #9
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Morte
in latin the infinitive tense is made up with only one word, which isnt the case in english and also tends to be the core issue in the problem at hand.

I got conpfused with that and now i realised the differece... that there is not sense in using gerund in the past tense ( oh dear) but i had this question for a while in my mind, and they did seem to be quite similar!
Don't forget that, utilizing infinite tense, a comma needs to appear before a coordinating conjunction linking the parts of a compound predicate. In the case of a genitive singular in dative form of a subject, the possessive qualifier denotes the agent of its action especially in literary use and when the agent is a pronoun or a noun denoting a person or persons.

More abstractly, the thing in itself exists in the never-ending regress in the series of empirical grammatical conditions. Therefore, it must not be supposed that the transcendental unity of apperception can not take account of our understanding, by means of analysis. Because of our necessary ignorance of the conditions, our sense perceptions are just as necessary as time, but our concepts are what first give rise to the phenomena.

I hope that clears things up.
Unread 24 Nov 2005, 18:00   #10
Superpig #1
^ ^ Clearly Stolen ^ ^

Quote:

Thanks for all the help people! ill pos rep you lovely guys!
I'm waiting politely.

and that was my sig.
Unread 24 Nov 2005, 18:01   #11
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superpig #1
*waits politely*
This isn't the RP forum, emoting is banned.
Unread 24 Nov 2005, 18:02   #12
Superpig #1
^ ^ Clearly Stolen ^ ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by s|k
This isn't the RP forum, emoting is banned.
You never saw it

and that was my sig.
Unread 24 Nov 2005, 18:52   #13
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

The infinitive isn't a tense. If anything, it's a mood.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2005, 18:55   #14
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
The difference is that the second one makes no sense.
I used driving home on sundays as a time to think; a time to reflect on events of the past week.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2005, 19:10   #15
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
I used driving home on sundays as a time to think; a time to reflect on events of the past week.
That would be used/sunday or use/sundays.
Unread 24 Nov 2005, 19:11   #16
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Not if you were describing something you did regularly last year (I think)
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2005, 19:14   #17
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
Not if you were describing something you did regularly last year (I think)
Yeah, that works. My mistake. It still doesn't work as a clause entire though.
Unread 24 Nov 2005, 19:25   #18
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneED
Whats you native language?
Im brazilian and about the reasons of why i was never deported, probably they will have something to do with me never leaving brazil...

I would hate getting shot in the head also.... by the pictures i saw it doesnt seem to be an enjoyable or even memorable experience =(

We speak portuguese in brazil
Unread 24 Nov 2005, 19:26   #19
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute

i know that dumbass.
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2005, 20:03   #20
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneED
i know that dumbass.
Oh yeah, that was a great comeback, congrats...

You remember me of that time when Homer got a Mad magazine, and there was this "great comebacks" section, and then he sais to marge
"Ask if want some cake"
"Do you want some cake homer?"
"No, DUMBASS, LOL ROLF"

that episode was great

* i made up the question, but that was the general ideia, does anyone remembers that correctly? Ill pos rep...
Unread 24 Nov 2005, 20:37   #21
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Oh yeah, that was a great comeback, congrats...

You remember me of that time when Homer got a Mad magazine, and there was this "great comebacks" section, and then he sais to marge
"Ask if want some cake"
"Do you want some cake homer?"
"No, DUMBASS, LOL ROLF"

that episode was great

* i made up the question, but that was the general ideia, does anyone remembers that correctly? Ill pos rep...
i missed you.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote