User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 19 May 2006, 22:25   #1
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
the da vinci code

It's not worth it.
If you ignore all the media hype and if you are really not that much into this whole relgion stuff you are left with a movie of, at best, medium quality. Tom Hanks doesn't fit in at all (and I can't stand the guy anyway), the story drags on and on and it doesnt really seem to make too much sense logically. I was happy after it was over.
What'S all the media attention about? The book is fiction and so is the movie and even if it would all be true, who really cares? The guy has been dead for 2000 years.
Unread 19 May 2006, 22:30   #2
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: the da vinci code

The media attention is there because 50 million people have read the book.

As for the film it's been slated in all the reviews I've read. I'm still going to watch it though.
Unread 19 May 2006, 22:38   #3
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

dan brown isn't worth it.
dan browns book isn't worth it.
the film based on dan brown's book isn't worth it.

really.
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 May 2006, 22:46   #4
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyChecker
The media attention is there because 50 million people have read the book.

As for the film it's been slated in all the reviews I've read. I'm still going to watch it though.
I dont think the book is much better. I read only 1/3 of it before I got bored though.
Unread 19 May 2006, 23:32   #5
Obliterate
:cool:

Obliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant future

I liked the book, but I found the film really boring, which was a shame really because I was quite looking forward to it.
Unread 19 May 2006, 23:33   #6
Phalon
Insanely Insignificant

Phalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Are you saying who really cares because Jesus has been dead for 2000 years? If so then obviously all the christians care, most of them seem to be kicking up a huge stink over an overrated piece of shit written by someone who probably failed english literature at high school.

You couldn't have meant da vinci as he's only been dead for 487 years.

I'll watch the film as i managed to get through the book. It wasn't the worst book i've ever read by any stretch of the imagination - anything by Valerio Massimo Manfredi takes that award. (though admittedly they were probably down to the poor translations)

All is nothing, without you.
Phalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 May 2006, 00:52   #7
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

I liked the book a lot and look forward to the movie. Hope I don't get dissapointed :\
Unread 20 May 2006, 01:10   #8
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve

The film is really shit.

X-Men 3 is AWESOME on the otherhand though. Let's just say I was lucky enough to go to a special screening tonight

I won't spoil it though but it's awsome. I dislike the whole "every beginning must come to an end" thing though.
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 May 2006, 01:31   #9
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I havent read the book, but I know how it ends because within those 50 million readers are the ones who tell us on every news show how it ends.

Ill still watch it though, and X Men 3 , and MI 3 , and anything else i can get on a camcorder download this week
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 May 2006, 01:51   #10
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androme2
The film is really shit.

X-Men 3 is AWESOME on the otherhand though. Let's just say I was lucky enough to go to a special screening tonight

I won't spoil it though but it's awsome. I dislike the whole "every beginning must come to an end" thing though.
well i will spoil it.

patrick stewart's contract ran out.

innit
Unread 20 May 2006, 05:20   #11
Travler
Bona Fide Jesus Freak

Travler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalon
Are you saying who really cares because Jesus has been dead for 2000 years? If so then obviously all the christians care, most of them seem to be kicking up a huge stink over an overrated piece of shit written by someone who probably failed english literature at high school.

You couldn't have meant da vinci as he's only been dead for 487 years.

I'll watch the film as i managed to get through the book. It wasn't the worst book i've ever read by any stretch of the imagination - anything by Valerio Massimo Manfredi takes that award. (though admittedly they were probably down to the poor translations)
I don't get what most Christians are upset about. It's a fictional book based on the gnostic writings which were debunked a long time ago by Christians and the fake Priory of Zion that was created after Da Vinci's death. The book was at least mildly entertaining but seems the movie is falling flat.
You're not the voice of Christianity di**head.

CT R22-20, [1up] R18-16, TGV R15,
The Illuminati - [NoS] - R14-13
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 May 2006, 11:06   #12
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadar
I liked the book a lot and look forward to the movie. Hope I don't get dissapointed :\
Considering how amazingly shallow and straight-forward the book was, with characters showing the emotional spectrum of 2-year olds, it's my honest opinion you have to be an utter retard in order to like it. I mean, the bloody thing read like a watered down stupidified hollywood-plot.

No offence meant though
Unread 20 May 2006, 12:25   #13
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyfe
Considering how amazingly shallow and straight-forward the book was, with characters showing the emotional spectrum of 2-year olds, it's my honest opinion you have to be an utter retard in order to like it. I mean, the bloody thing read like a watered down stupidified hollywood-plot.

No offence meant though
Because someone likes a book they're an utter retard? I could say the same about LOTR fans, Star Trek lovers, entusiastic black metal fans and religious people, but I don't. It's their taste and if they like it, so be it. Just because your taste ain't mine doesn't mean it's shit. Your taste mean nothing to me you know.
Unread 20 May 2006, 12:54   #14
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
well i will spoil it.

patrick stewart's contract ran out.

innit
with any luck he'll be back doing what he does best, a new series of The Next Generation
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 May 2006, 13:29   #15
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn
but the plot sounds pretty exciting.
Read one of the many, many other books that deal with the same subject area, like Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 May 2006, 13:42   #16
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Because someone likes a book they're an utter retard?
Ok; sorry. I apologize.

I meant "severely lacking in maturity"

It's like.. throwing a ball against a wall yeah? It's something I could do now if I was waiting for someone and was reaaally bored, but back when I was 3 years old fun really found fun and stimulating (wow, it came back this time also! weeee!). If you saw a 20 year old throwing a ball against a wall, and jumping with joy every time it bounced back, you'd call him an utter retard too right?
Unread 20 May 2006, 14:28   #17
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Read one of the many, many other books that deal with the same subject area, like Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco.
Which incidentally, is about 600 pages of pretentious crap.
Unread 20 May 2006, 14:33   #18
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

going to see it this afternoon.

not expecting too much but i quite enjoyed the book.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 May 2006, 14:44   #19
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
which is probably why he said it was better than the da vinci code then :P
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 20 May 2006, 14:47   #20
Nadar
I see you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyfe
Ok; sorry. I apologize.

I meant "severely lacking in maturity"

It's like.. throwing a ball against a wall yeah? It's something I could do now if I was waiting for someone and was reaaally bored, but back when I was 3 years old fun really found fun and stimulating (wow, it came back this time also! weeee!). If you saw a 20 year old throwing a ball against a wall, and jumping with joy every time it bounced back, you'd call him an utter retard too right?
What's so bad about the book in your opinion? It's exciting, it got a good history behind it, interesting characters and definitely a good plot (there's several plots actually). I never found religion very interesting, but the way he put it forward in the book made it readable. I don't read books usually, but of the few I've ever read this is clearly the best one.

I think you just didn't understand it, thus you critize everyone who did understand it. Stop acting like a lil kid or go buy yourself a lollipop, here's 5c.
Unread 20 May 2006, 15:09   #21
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

in my experience, everyone that likes the da vinci code also

Quote:
don't read books usually
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 20 May 2006, 16:07   #22
XelNaga

XelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
What's so bad about the book in your opinion? It's exciting, it got a good history behind it, interesting characters and definitely a good plot (there's several plots actually). I never found religion very interesting, but the way he put it forward in the book made it readable. I don't read books usually, but of the few I've ever read this is clearly the best one.

I think you just didn't understand it, thus you critize everyone who did understand it. Stop acting like a lil kid or go buy yourself a lollipop, here's 5c.
You should read real books, for a change, then.

(Marneus) also the damn thing aint always right 4 + 79 = i type 81 and it kicked me back to the login again grrr
XelNaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 May 2006, 16:12   #23
The_Tyrant
Giddy little...

The_Tyrant is a name known to allThe_Tyrant is a name known to allThe_Tyrant is a name known to allThe_Tyrant is a name known to allThe_Tyrant is a name known to allThe_Tyrant is a name known to all

It took me a couple of days to read it and I enjoyed it. If you haven't got the patience to stick with a book then its your loss.

If you liked the da vinci code try david icke's books, he a nutter but its a better fiction book any day.
The_Tyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 May 2006, 16:38   #24
Nadar
I see you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelNaga
And you should shut up and go back to your brand new Harry Potter book.
Unread 20 May 2006, 16:44   #25
Nadar
I see you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWSBOT3
Maybe that's what makes it good? It pulls people who regulary don't read books? If the book applies to them, then it's good. And I doubt such a large discussion (world-wide) would have taken place if the book is totally crap anyway.

What a crap "expert" has to say about a book (or a movie for that sake) means nothing to me. I know they're usually always on deep water with their so called "expert" tips anyway.
Unread 20 May 2006, 17:03   #26
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Maybe that's what makes it good? It pulls people who regulary don't read books?
I'd like to have Audrey Tautou pull me regularly.
Unread 20 May 2006, 17:12   #27
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Because someone likes a book they're an utter retard?
If it's a sufficiently bad book then yeah. Without reading someone's biography one of the easiest ways to quickly judge someone's character is to look at the things they like (or dislike).
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 May 2006, 17:25   #28
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
The Da Vinci Code is the new The Matrix. You can't not like it because it's not particularly good, you just didn't understand it maaaaaaan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
Nothing wrong with that.
Unread 20 May 2006, 18:00   #29
Ramihyn
Emperor

Ramihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud of

Even the topic of the movie sounds quite uninteresting to me, but what i find really interesting is the reaction of different churches and groups in different countries. One funny highlight was that muslims in one country (russia?) demanded the movie to be forbidden. I guess its a kind of "i help you censor something today and you help me censor something tomorrow" companionship.
Ramihyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 May 2006, 18:04   #30
Nadar
I see you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
If it's a sufficiently bad book then yeah. Without reading someone's biography one of the easiest ways to quickly judge someone's character is to look at the things they like (or dislike).
A sufficiently bad book wouldn't sell 40 million copies either.
Unread 20 May 2006, 18:15   #31
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I don't think that follows. There are certainly more than 40 million people in the world with terrible taste in literature.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 May 2006, 18:18   #32
Nadar
I see you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
I don't think that follows. There are certainly more than 40 million people in the world with terrible taste in literature.
Could be true. Could explain why so many people watched King Kong (the new one).
Unread 20 May 2006, 18:25   #33
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Eastenders is hardly high class fiction, but that seems popular.
Unread 20 May 2006, 18:32   #34
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
What are 'real books'? The Da Vinci code is overly long and fairly repetitive, but its infinitely better than the dross spewed out by 'critically acclaimed' authors like Flaubert or Steinback.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 May 2006, 18:40   #35
XelNaga

XelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I talk about The Wheel Of Time, for example. The da vinci code looks like Donald Duck compared to that.

(Marneus) also the damn thing aint always right 4 + 79 = i type 81 and it kicked me back to the login again grrr
XelNaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 May 2006, 18:44   #36
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I got bored with the Da Vinci Code (the book) - I think I read about 1/3 or 1/2 way through and just gave up on it. It wasn't a particularly exciting plot.

Apparently the film is very similar and quite slow. So if you like the book you're supposed to like the film. Thus I probably won't go and see it.
Unread 20 May 2006, 19:39   #37
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

it wasn't that bad.

I've seen better films of course but it could have been a lot worse.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 May 2006, 19:52   #38
Nadar
I see you!

Quote:
I talk about The Wheel Of Time, for example. The da vinci code looks like Donald Duck compared to that.
The Wheel of Time huh? I think that's what my flatm8 is reading and it if I'm not mistaken it's fantasy? You compare fantasy books with a farmer boy who runs out to save the world and fight some dragons to a novel like The Da Vinci Code?

We may aswell compare Mickey Mouse with Lord of The Rings then.
Unread 20 May 2006, 23:17   #39
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
The Wheel of Time huh? I think that's what my flatm8 is reading and it if I'm not mistaken it's fantasy? You compare fantasy books with a farmer boy who runs out to save the world and fight some dragons to a novel like The Da Vinci Code?

We may aswell compare Mickey Mouse with Lord of The Rings then.
I think we could call both Mickey Mouse and Lord of the Rings "fantasy", to some extent. And unless I am mistaken, fantasy books can also be novels.

Lord of the Rings is actually comparable to The Wheel of Time in some aspects, while Mickey Mouse isn't exactly a good comparison. If you had even opened a book in the Wheel of Time series, you would notice why he used it as an example. It is not because of the genre, so much as it is because of the way it is written.

The Da Vinci Code is easy to read, and it appeals to the masses. It's not great literature. The Wheel of Time was a poor example, but The Da Vinci Code is not comparable to books such as "Don Quixote", "The Idiot", "War and Peace" etc.

I read the book, and found it entertaining, but not enlightning. The film was not even entertaining

Oh crap, I might be back. I should take my own advice.
qebab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 May 2006, 23:59   #40
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Dead Souls - Nikolai Gogol

innit
Unread 21 May 2006, 00:13   #41
Nadar
I see you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qebab
I read the book, and found it entertaining, but not enlightning. The film was not even entertaining
Yes, it's entertaining. If I read a book it's to entertain myself. I don't need the book to have hidden plots and codes you might find if you really study them. When I read a book it's usually on the bed before I go to sleep. So it has to be easy-read and not brain-wrecking
Unread 21 May 2006, 00:26   #42
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
Yes, it's entertaining.
hang on just a second there Mr Looney McLoon

If someone says something is not entertaining that carries the implied words 'I thought it'. You can't say that someone's opinion is incorrect.

we don't want to descend into a "no it isn't" "yes it is" debate. This is a forum not a pantomime
Unread 21 May 2006, 00:35   #43
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I didn't find the movie that bad considering the reviews. It was one of those books they struggled to convert into a movie though,
Unread 21 May 2006, 00:41   #44
Nadar
I see you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
hang on just a second there Mr Looney McLoon

If someone says something is not entertaining that carries the implied words 'I thought it'. You can't say that someone's opinion is incorrect.

we don't want to descend into a "no it isn't" "yes it is" debate. This is a forum not a pantomime
What? I said it to confirm that I agree with him that the book was entertaining. As I said, I haven't watched the movie yet, hence I got no idea how entertaining it is. It's possible the movie is a flop like many other movies because it's hard in a 2 hour long movie to include all the important bits from the books. Just think about all the LOTR-fans who got annoyed because the movies "forgot" lots of important stuff from the book.
Unread 21 May 2006, 00:42   #45
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

he's behind you!
Unread 21 May 2006, 01:05   #46
Flayer
Wankoverable

Flayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of light

I don't know shit about the book, but I just saw the movie and it excited and entertained me. Definitely worth it.
Unread 21 May 2006, 01:07   #47
Flavius

Flavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet society

I liked it. Hadn't read the book either.
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 May 2006, 13:19   #48
Flayer
Wankoverable

Flayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn
but are you male or female?
In this case, female.
Unread 21 May 2006, 13:28   #49
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWSBOT3
Quote:
don't read books usually

Imagine my joy when i realised somebody had already made the point i was about to.
Unread 21 May 2006, 13:32   #50
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I talk about The Wheel Of Time, for example.

Please don't use The Wheel Of Time as an example of "great literature".