User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 28 Feb 2005, 16:19   #1
Eidron
The Harsh Light of Day

Eidron is an unknown quantity at this point
Strange hard disk problem

My space is dissappearing. I have a 120gb drive partitioned in two parts, a 29Gb and 91Gb. The 29Gb one is my windows partition. Apparently I have 4Gb free, yet this is what all the files add up to: 20.8Gb, which means 5Gb has gone somewhere...Anyone have any insight into this prob? Id rather not reformat the drive just yet lol. Only had it like this for a few months.

You'll never see me but I am everywhere
Eidron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Feb 2005, 16:23   #2
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Strange hard disk problem

its either disappeared into the file allocation table, or there are hidden files you cant select and thus cant get the file size of

either way, nothing unusual imo
Unread 28 Feb 2005, 18:36   #3
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

sounds pretty typical for windows really :/

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Feb 2005, 18:47   #4
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Do you have hidden files enabled. From the top of my head the pagefile is in the root of C:\ and is hidden by default. That could make up for quite a bit of your lost disk space.
Unread 28 Feb 2005, 20:47   #5
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: Strange hard disk problem

- Are you sure you got the counting system right? 1 GB is not 1 GB, you know. Some people sometimes use 1GB = 10 ^ 9 instead of 1GB = 2 ^ 30 (= 2³° ), eg. HDD sellers...
120 decimal GB are only 114,44 binary GB.

- Hidden files stuff...

- If you're using FAT: Do a Scandisk / Checkdisk. Sometimes after a crash, the free space of the partition won't be displayed correctly. Scandisk fixes this quite often actually, so it seems to happen a lot. But I don't know how "serious" this is, if only a couple of bytes or more. Probably depends on how many big files were open when the computer crashed.

- When using NTFS, you've got a Folder called "Systeme Volume Information". You can't access it, but there is some indexing and security stuff written... The size of it doesn't necessarily count, but it's still used.
Unread 7 Mar 2005, 01:10   #6
Eidron
The Harsh Light of Day

Eidron is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes I can see all the hidden files. ITs not them.
I know the disk itself is only around 114 real Gb, but that doesnt explain where the 5Gb went in my 30 Gb partition lol. The total size of all the files DOES NOT equal the size of the used space as reported in my computer....you see my dilemma lol.

I thought about emailing M$ tech support, but then I took some medicine for my delirious condition....lol.

You'll never see me but I am everywhere
Eidron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Mar 2005, 02:09   #7
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: Strange hard disk problem

Try a tool called TreeSize , there should be a full functional free / demo version out there somewhere, pls google.
Unread 7 Mar 2005, 12:52   #8
Koford

Koford is an unknown quantity at this point

Try install "Partition Magic" a good tools for organise your harddrive and stuff...
Unread 7 Mar 2005, 22:27   #9
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidron
Yes I can see all the hidden files. ITs not them.
I know the disk itself is only around 114 real Gb, but that doesnt explain where the 5Gb went in my 30 Gb partition lol. The total size of all the files DOES NOT equal the size of the used space as reported in my computer....you see my dilemma lol.

I thought about emailing M$ tech support, but then I took some medicine for my delirious condition....lol.
for your OS partition, disable and enable system restore.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote