User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 24 Feb 2005, 23:46   #1
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future
How much dou you think I should pay for a

512mb USB 2.0 flash drive?

Im in the UK, so prices in pounds please.
CrashTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Feb 2005, 00:00   #2
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: How much dou you think I should pay for a

£ Your ass.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Feb 2005, 00:03   #3
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How much dou you think I should pay for a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
£ Your ass.
true genius
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Feb 2005, 00:09   #4
Phalon
Insanely Insignificant

Phalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Cheap as chips

All is nothing, without you.
Phalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Feb 2005, 00:16   #5
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Question Re: How much dou you think I should pay for a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalon
Is your skin as orange as Ian Paisley's political views, by any chance?
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Feb 2005, 05:08   #6
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: How much dou you think I should pay for a

I found out the price span is enormous for USB sticks, especially for "high capacity".
I'm speaking of German producs in Euro, but will convert them for you...

I can't remember precisely, but I think it started somewhere at £27.

Most producs would be around £35 to £50.
But you could also get things for almos £90 or even £100. All 512MB.

The looks were all pretty similar. Even the packaging and the data on it didn't reveal much of a difference. I didn't know the brandnames that much, so they didn't tell me anything about quality.

I asked a sales-person, and he obviously said it was about "quality" and data security, but he assured me the middle-cheap ones would be fine as well.

The thing is, flash drives tend to have limited "re-writability", only a couple of thousand times, maybe a million, I don't know.
The PROBLEM is, depending on the file system, that SOME parts of the drive will be accessed WAY more often than others. Compare FAT and the actual index-table -- every single write-action, the FAT would be updated.
Sort of a "waste", you know, the other regions of the stick would still be fine.

So I know they tried to extend the lifetime of those drives. And tried to use different file systems, that use the stick more evenly. Or whatever.

The more you spent, the better security you'll get. I've seen USB sticks fail. The same with floppy disks. Nothing to be too sure about. Always keep backups!

Edit: By security I mean "data safeness". Or whatever. Maybe it's the wrong word. But as you assumed - the less you spend, the more likely is a drive failure "just by itself".
Unread 25 Feb 2005, 05:21   #7
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

I would be looking around the <paste>£</paste>25 mark.
Unread 25 Feb 2005, 08:14   #8
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Ah, I paid 27 euros for my 256mb stick. I found the 512mb version a tad too expensive (45 euros).
If you want to know what that is in pounds, find yourself the conversion rate and get a calculator.
Unread 25 Feb 2005, 08:16   #9
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Oh, BTW, here's the shop I buy my stuff from usually. It might give you an indication of prices.
Unread 25 Feb 2005, 08:43   #10
Doofus

I have one of these and I havent had any problems with it:
Unread 25 Feb 2005, 10:34   #11
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of

I find them too phallic and therefore use MemorySaucers.
Unread 25 Feb 2005, 10:46   #12
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

are they anything like flying saucers?
Unread 25 Feb 2005, 10:57   #13
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrasyn
I find them too phallic and therefore use MemorySaucers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by google
Your search - MemorySaucers - did not match any documents.
No pages were found containing "memorysaucers".