User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 2 Feb 2005, 13:18   #1
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of
How many languages can you speak?

Just wondering... It seems the Brits are at a serious drawback. Is this true?
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 13:24   #2
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future
Re: How many languages can you speak?

i can manage pretty well in dutch, english and german. french i understand but i can't speak it well.
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 13:25   #3
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

English
(some) German
Mirc Script ( if that counts )
C++ (ish)
Java (ish)
some BASIC
a tiny amount of COBOL
and thats about it i think
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 13:25   #4
Phalon
Insanely Insignificant

Phalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Yes, because everyone else speaks our language so well (often better than most of us).

I speak basic German and v.basic French,

I have a feeling Leshy will win this.

All is nothing, without you.
Phalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 13:26   #5
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I speak English and basic French.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 13:26   #6
onetwothree
4 5 6

onetwothree is a name known to allonetwothree is a name known to allonetwothree is a name known to allonetwothree is a name known to allonetwothree is a name known to allonetwothree is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
English
(some) German
C++ (ish)
Java (ish)
some BASIC
a tiny amount of COBOL
People who reply listing computer programming languages need to seek help, I recommend the church of euthanasia.
onetwothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 13:31   #7
Kumnaa
Unreregistered User

Kumnaa is infamous around these parts

Everybody speaks English so we don't need to learn anybody elses.
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 13:35   #8
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

English
A-Level German
Basic French
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 13:36   #9
ceres

ceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud of

English.
French(Basque).
Afrikaans - so i have a decent understanding of dutch too.
________
Medical Cannabis Seeds

Last edited by ceres; 31 Aug 2011 at 06:46.
ceres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 13:41   #10
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

English, pretty basic French and my Spanish isn't too bad, at least for reading. I've not spoken it in quite a while.
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 13:42   #11
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumnaa
Everybody speaks English so we don't need to learn anybody elses.
THAT my man is a REAL misconception.
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 13:43   #12
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

Dutch, English and a tiny little bit French. French is easier to understand then to speak for me though.
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 13:43   #13
onetwothree
4 5 6

onetwothree is a name known to allonetwothree is a name known to allonetwothree is a name known to allonetwothree is a name known to allonetwothree is a name known to allonetwothree is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrasyn
THAT my man is a REAL misconception.
Everyone that matters then.
onetwothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 13:44   #14
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

atm i am practicing my norwegian rapskills

digger rull
digger tull
vi digger det!
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 13:44   #15
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

English and decent French. I also speak good Irish but that's about as much use as learning sanskrit (actually probably of less use).
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 13:45   #16
XeeThot
Manga Kitten is back!

XeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to behold

Brazilian Portuguese, English, some Spanish, some Italian and some French.

Knocking on your door for leftovers starting on Dec 21st
XeeThot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 13:46   #17
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetwothree
People who reply listing computer programming languages need to seek help, I recommend the church of euthanasia.

but they`re still languages
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 13:57   #18
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

Quote:

So is sign language and semaphore but as soon as someone waves two flags at me I´ll rather think of killing it than responding in the right color combination.
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 13:59   #19
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:

Do have discussions with your computer about how the 6 apples are in the basket?
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 14:01   #20
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Dutch and English are the languages I can speak rather well and intuitively. English is my primary native language and when I speak/write it I also think in English. That's probably why my posts are usually a bit weird because I often don't bother getting a dictionary.
My German is poor considering I live near the German border. I can understand it rather well, but not speak it well. But they say the Swiss also speak German, but when I hear those people's accent on the phone I can't make anything of it. Thereby they call us Limburgers the spare Germans because our dialect sounds like German.
I can understand a bit of French. Two years ago when I was in France on holiday with my schoolmates, I had to order everything because they were all too affraid to try their French. I guess I was a French-master compared to them because I managed to ask people "ou est le ragout et le riz" in those supermarkets. I'm sure that without me they hadn't eaten that well.
And at the moment I'm learning Japanese. Very challenging language, but I'm finding little motivation to dive in the books at the moment because my work is draining me from my motivation. But I better have learned it before July because I'll be in Japan for a few weeks then .
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 14:11   #21
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

English
Aussie English (occa)

and sometime many years ago I used to speak french

Quote:
English
(some) German
C++ (ish)
Java (ish)
some BASIC
a tiny amount of COBOL
if(strcmp(languages, "C++")==0)
printf("Hello, Programmer!\n");
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 14:16   #22
Phil^
Insomniac

Code:
   bool Isin(std::string Token,std::string Subtoken)
   {
   	if ( Token.find(Subtoken) <= Token.length() ) { return 1; }
   	else { return 0; }
   }

if (Isin(languages,"C++") == 1 ) 
   {
   std::cout << " Hello programmer!\n";
   }
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 14:17   #23
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbass
English
Aussie English (occa)

and sometime many years ago I used to speak french

if(strcmp(languages, "C++")==0)
printf("Hello, Programmer!\n");
I'd recommend to use strstr because also people who know other programming languages are programmers. So the string "Java, Basic, C++, PHP, ASP" should also result in the person being a programmer.
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 14:19   #24
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Code:
  bool Isin(std::string Token,std::string Subtoken)
  {
  	if ( Token.find(Subtoken) <= Token.length() ) { return 1; }
  	else { return 0; }
  }

if (Isin("C++",languages") == 1 ) 
  {
  std::cout << " Hello programmer!\n";
  }
Error on line 7, unexpected "

God I'm bored.
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 14:30   #25
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
I'd recommend to use strstr because also people who know other programming languages are programmers. So the string "Java, Basic, C++, PHP, ASP" should also result in the person being a programmer.
That's making an assumption on the what my expected input was (though the s on the end of language was unintentional and misleading). It is expecting a null terminated string consisting of a single language selection, it was my intention that my chosen protocol would be strictly C++ (despite not even using C++ for the routine anyway)
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 14:30   #26
Phil^
Insomniac

yes you are, see the fixed one i did :P its been at least half a year since ive done any c++
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 14:32   #27
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalon
I have a feeling Leshy will win this.
Doubtful. I've had a good few languages in school, but there's not that many I speak well. The only two languages I'm fluent in are Dutch and English, and I can manage reasonably well in German. My French is a tad poor, although I find that upon being in France, I do pick it up reasonably quick. I have a basic working knowledge of Italian, and could probably have a pretty simple conversation in it, something which I hope to be improving upon over the coming period, as I'm still taking classes.
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 14:42   #28
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
That's making an assumption on the what my expected input was (though the s on the end of language was unintentional and misleading). It is expecting a null terminated string consisting of a single language selection, it was my intention that my chosen protocol would be strictly C++ (despite not even using C++ for the routine anyway)
Your omission of pre and post descriptions of your code is not within the acceptable parameters.
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 14:43   #29
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Wow this thread has got geeky, I don't understand anything that's going on
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 14:44   #30
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i used to be able to swear in 9 languages if that helps?

i know some basic french and german, but i cant follow it if people are speaking, im not fluent enough (curiously, i can also work out a lot of things in latin now due to this damn game)
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 14:49   #31
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: How many languages can you speak?

A smattering of French and German, some Latin, and enough Geordie to be able to trade with the natives.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 14:57   #32
Embroglio
a new low in getting high

Embroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
English
(some) German
C++ (ish)
Java (ish)
some BASIC
a tiny amount of COBOL
dear ****ing god
I want you by my side.

We’re hitting a new low.
Embroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 14:59   #33
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: How many languages can you speak?

Quote:
C++ (ish)
Java (ish)
some BASIC
a tiny amount of COBOL
Can you talk to robots, though, and make them do your bidding? If not, then all of the above is totally wasted.
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 15:00   #34
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

English, GCSE French (not fluent, not totally crap), German pronouns (ja, richtig!) and some Latin.
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 15:29   #35
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: How many languages can you speak?

English & German (& could translate written Latin, given enough time, + can read ancient greek).
I will NOT become more geeky and list the computer-stuff.

Being German, I found most of the A-Level-German-Stuff rather disappointing, as people at school couldn't really make up one "advanced" sentence apart from the usual "Hello how are you, my name is" stuff, neither could they understand the simple questions I tried to ask them in German.

But to be fair, learning foreign languages is quite difficult for English people it seems.
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 15:38   #36
djbass
mmm.. pills

Quote:
Your omission of pre and post descriptions of your code is not within the acceptable parameters.
real programmers don't use comments
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 16:02   #37
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
real programmers don't use comments
Then you deserve to be shot.
I'm working on a program here that my boss and a previous "programmer" made that has about 0 lines of comment (give or take a few). Some days my brain hurts from reading the cryptic variable names, incomprehensible algorithms and redundant constructions.
The previous programmer left, and now I work here, my boss decided he doesn't want to program anything anymore, so I'm stuck with his... stuff...
When I ask my boss how some of his "stuff" works he usually can't answer my question because he simply doesn't know anymore.

So as you can imagine, I now thoroughly hate programmers who don't comment their code.
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 16:03   #38
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I can speak Norwegian and English. I've had French at school, but I was never there
I understand and can talk to Danish and Swedish people, but those languages are so close to the Norwegian one that it's really not hard at all.
I also understand a litte dutch, and a little vietnamese. I can have basic conversations in some sort of bad phillipinian, but only to ask for food, what the clock is and so on. I'm going to learn it good one day, thought.
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 16:14   #39
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

English
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 16:21   #40
hook
I'm who you want me to be

hook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of light

Dutch, English, German, French, Spanish, Italian
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 16:22   #41
djbass
mmm.. pills

Quote:
Then you deserve to be shot.
I'm working on a program here that my boss and a previous "programmer" made that has about 0 lines of comment (give or take a few). Some days my brain hurts from reading the cryptic variable names, incomprehensible algorithms and redundant constructions.
The previous programmer left, and now I work here, my boss decided he doesn't want to program anything anymore, so I'm stuck with his... stuff...
When I ask my boss how some of his "stuff" works he usually can't answer my question because he simply doesn't know anymore.

So as you can imagine, I now thoroughly hate programmers who don't comment their code.
I'm Turse
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 16:26   #42
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

Either "English" or "English, Latin and Greek", depending on your definition of "speak".
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 16:29   #43
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

i can count to ten in four languages

english
french
german
japanese
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 16:31   #44
hook
I'm who you want me to be

hook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus
Either "English" or "English, Latin and Greek", depending on your definition of "speak".
That would be more a case of understanding Latin and Greek, would it not? I personally had six years of Latin / Greek lectures aswell, and can translate it fairly decently... however, writing down decent sentences myself, other than reading what other people have written, is still a pain for me.
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 16:42   #45
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by hook
That would be more a case of understanding Latin and Greek, would it not? I personally had six years of Latin / Greek lectures aswell, and can translate it fairly decently... however, writing down decent sentences myself, other than reading what other people have written, is still a pain for me.
No, I can write in Latin and Greek as well.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 16:42   #46
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Question Re: How many languages can you speak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus
No, I can write in Latin and Greek as well.
What about Farsi?
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 16:48   #47
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

English, and uh... French (with a poor accent and a liberal dose of basic errors).
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 16:53   #48
MeridianStar
Para Keet

MeridianStar is an unknown quantity at this point

English
German
Dutch - I understand quite a lot and speak a little.
Basic French (counting, ordering food, greetings, shopping etc)
Basic Spanish (just a lil less than above)
[23:46] <Theamion> i still love you tho
[23:47] <Theamion> you mad scottish bint
MeridianStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 16:55   #49
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Sarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriend

English
I can say my name and where I'm from in Gaelic.
That is all.

In my sleep I grind my teeth.
Sarina_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Feb 2005, 17:19   #50
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Can't find a Turse there.