User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 15 Feb 2007, 13:45   #1
bmwoody
Schmuck

bmwoody has a spectacular aura aboutbmwoody has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Freebies worth playing?!

I was surprised to see the changes to free accounts this round. I wasn't going to play, but I decided to sign up for a freebie account just for fun. I signed up 5 days after tickstart, didn't join an alliance, and have still managed to mosey my way into a pretty respectable position.

So, to anyone who may be sitting on the fence about it, I say definitely go for it. This round is pretty friendly to underdogs. Cheers for changing the restrictions.

I also figured I'd just open this thread because I didn't see one like it yet. I'd be interested to see what others have to say about freebie accounts. Any thoughts?
Unread 15 Feb 2007, 14:35   #2
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: Freebies worth playing?!

Yeah. Free accounts are at the moment very playable, I think the current setup is very good. There are grand scale benefits to registering the credit, but a freebie is totally "playable".
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Feb 2007, 16:32   #3
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

I'm glad people feel this way. We put a lot of effort into this redesign and as it seems to be working reasonably well we may have done something right for once.

I'd like to throw in some questions though:

Could we make free accounts even more playable, but still get the same number of people upgrading?

Have we done enough to make free accounts playable in order for advertising to be worthwhile (from a purely free account point of view)?

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Feb 2007, 16:49   #4
Stoom
Bragpack™

Stoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to mention there's atleast 1 free account in t100 atm.

Keep it the way it is!
Stoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Feb 2007, 20:13   #5
bmwoody
Schmuck

Cool Re: Freebies worth playing?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoom
I'd like to mention there's atleast 1 free account in t100 atm.
Top 20, to be sure. Scary, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
Have we done enough to make free accounts playable in order for advertising to be worthwhile (from a purely free account point of view)?
I would say, definitively, YES. As a veteran player in a very tough financial spot atm, I have been endlessly pleased with my free account. To be honest, it has even got me thinking of upgrading just so I can have the benefits of engineering and the fun of changing fleet names. It has taken a lot of self-control not to do it. I most likely will as soon as the cash is available, though.

I can't speak from a new player's perspective, but assuming they understand the point of the game, they should have no trouble whatsoever getting off the ground. Many of my friends have poked fun at me for paying for the game; now I can give them a good taste of the game by referring them to the free accounts.

On the other hand, I would almost say that freebies are TOO good. If I hadn't signed up late, I'd probably be battling for a top uni position right now. I mean, I wouldn't dare propose any more restrictions , but I can see where it would be tough to justify upgrading for someone who doesn't know the difference.
Unread 15 Feb 2007, 20:17   #6
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Engineering is the biggest actual restriction - most tech restrictions aren't that major (the last couple of scans, maybe...)

Freebies used to be "try before you buy", now they're sort of "basic" with the paid accounts offering often non-essential bonuses - fleet names, skins, scans actually lasting for more than a couple of hours, etc.

In future we're hoping to build more on this divide. Assuming it attracts more players who play to play for free
Unread 15 Feb 2007, 20:23   #7
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts

I only paid for my account for one thing: changing the skin.
The default one is horrible

The "Plain dark" or what its called, is the only one usable.

<Deffeh> I just told my parents im a homosexual, now they kicked me out
Allfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Feb 2007, 20:24   #8
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

You have no idea how smug I was about the idea of removing most skins from free accounts, and someone else was of making that skin paid only
sometimes I think there's a special hell for me.
Unread 15 Feb 2007, 20:25   #9
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts

Bastards

Unread 15 Feb 2007, 20:29   #10
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

What's the difference in playing freebie this round compared to last round?
Unread 15 Feb 2007, 20:31   #11
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

This round im here

Unread 15 Feb 2007, 20:46   #12
bmwoody
Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadar
What's the difference in playing freebie this round compared to last round?
Read the manual. Even better, here it is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Manual
-Free accounts can now do everything but:
Research the last 2 Scans (JGP and Advanced Unit Scan)
Research the last 3 covert operation (Information Black-out, Resource Transfers and Havoc (Structure killing))
Research above 2000 roids on the asteroid branch of the technology tree
Use Engineering History/Journal pages
Use exclusive "paid only" skins
Keep their scans for more than 1-2 hours (paid account scans last for 1 week)
Use the buddy pack system
Get resources for upgrading
Exile at half the cost
See outgoing status
They also have a Jolt banner (when we get it updated)
They don't get deleted after 14 days of not logging in.
Unread 15 Feb 2007, 21:31   #13
Mighteh
Your typical Troll

Mighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these parts

"Clean Black"

and yes, the best skin everer
Mighteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Feb 2007, 01:44   #14
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster
You have no idea how smug I was about the idea of removing most skins from free accounts, and someone else was of making that skin paid only
sometimes I think there's a special hell for me.
i'll assume your idiocy will just lead you to a cruel and laughable life to make up for it
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Feb 2007, 01:50   #15
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

I suggest to keep the free accounts as they are and developp extra features for paid accounts... wait maybe make the free skin uglier :P

I think a free account could win this round. The slow development f a free planet at the start is an advantage when chasing XP, after that it is just a matter of being in a good ally, as always.
Unread 16 Feb 2007, 03:02   #16
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allfather
I only paid for my account for one thing: changing the skin.
The default one is horrible

The "Plain dark" or what its called, is the only one usable.
Clean black yeah. The opera text only is good too.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Feb 2007, 04:33   #17
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Free accounts have been playable before, and with the recent changes and some brainpower even top 50 should be doable.
Unread 16 Feb 2007, 08:34   #18
Stoom
Bragpack™

Stoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond repute

too bad the stats suck ahahahahaha
Stoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Feb 2007, 09:02   #19
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Of course the flip side is, if free accounts are more playable - whats the insentive to buy accounts.
Lack of paid accounts = lack of revinue = jolt eventually just dropping the game and saying "enough".

I hate to be the cynic but im sure this is something that anyone can recognise.
Unread 16 Feb 2007, 10:50   #20
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

how are you being cynical? that'd be the best thing that could happen to the game, jolt are pretty ****ing shit
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Feb 2007, 10:52   #21
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
Of course the flip side is, if free accounts are more playable - whats the insentive to buy accounts.
Lack of paid accounts = lack of revinue = jolt eventually just dropping the game and saying "enough".

I hate to be the cynic but im sure this is something that anyone can recognise.
I suppose the trick is to make paid accounts a strong enough incentive for the serious players (eg having to upgrade to join a buddy pack) while at the same time giving the not so serious players an incentive to keep playing the game with a free account.

The hope is that then the not so serious players will eventually become serious players who upgrade their accounts.
Unread 16 Feb 2007, 11:03   #22
Walldo
Stealth & Shadows

Walldo is on a distinguished road

maybe a bigger bp for paid players?

Playing since RND1 and counting

Proud to have been

Newdawn

Wolfpack - WPO - OoO - Kralizec Stealth & Shadows - []LCH[] - [1up] - VisioN - TFD
Ultores - Conspiracy Theory - Concordium - WaC - Blue Tuba - Fury - Thieves & Pirates - OUZO -Vengeance - Elysium - Mistu - LOST - 4S - GoCi - FAnG - Novus Ordo Seclorum - Xanadu - BULL - VGN -xVx
Walldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Feb 2007, 12:03   #23
Flying Monkey
mokes

Flying Monkey has a spectacular aura aboutFlying Monkey has a spectacular aura aboutFlying Monkey has a spectacular aura about

After a years break from PA I just signed up intending to try it again with a free account. I see alot has changed and I've no clue how to play anymore so will be sticking free to see if I'm a complete nub at it after all this time or not

and omg I can get up to 2k roids never usually had more than that anyway

Rd 13-16
Veneratio | VGN | Subh
Flying Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Feb 2007, 13:44   #24
Heartless

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome
how are you being cynical? that'd be the best thing that could happen to the game, jolt are pretty ****ing shit
Seconded.
Unread 16 Feb 2007, 15:07   #25
Gio2k
Bolivian Alpaca

Gio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond repute

Jolt are pretty much milking the game dry.
The question is, what would happen if Jolt sell the game? How would it be the best thing that can happen?
Don't get me wrong, but there are other free games, and they are not exactly booming just because they are free. I think this type of game (PA and clones) have simply seen their glory days quite a few years ago.
Maybe it's time to accept that we play the game because we like it, and we like the community based approach which it encourages. The game and it's inner workings are secondary.
Unread 16 Feb 2007, 19:45   #26
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makhil
wait maybe make the free skin uglier :P
well actually - no - the free accouns should ideally have as default as example of what is possible with the new skinning system. This way they get excited and think that they will get even more cool stuff if they upgrade.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 16 Feb 2007, 19:49   #27
Wandows
[Vision]

Wandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond repute

Personally i rather have a leet skin that blows ppl away as default. If you seriously suggest the skin should be a reason to upgrade your account i think something is wrong with the game. Ppl should pay and as a result get a (far) better chance on a good end rank, things like layout/skin should be used to keep the game (visually) interesting in the first place.
Unread 16 Feb 2007, 19:50   #28
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
This is the percentage of accounts that are paid for the last 4 rounds:
55%
52%
66%
56%

Last round was somewhat unusual with such a high upgrade percentage, but this round is pretty standard in terms of the percentage of accounts that are upgraded.

So I'd suggest that increased free account playability has not damaged revenue.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 16 Feb 2007, 19:51   #29
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walldo
maybe a bigger bp for paid players?

only paid accounts can be in bps anyway

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 16 Feb 2007, 19:53   #30
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
This is the percentage of accounts that are paid for the last 4 rounds:
55%
52%
66%
56%

Last round was somewhat unusual with such a high upgrade percentage, but this round is pretty standard in terms of the percentage of accounts that are upgraded.

So I'd suggest that increased free account playability has not damaged revenue.
What were the number of players paid/free for those rounds? if you have the ability to generate percentages then i presume you would still have that data available too.
Unread 16 Feb 2007, 19:59   #31
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
What were the number of players paid/free for those rounds? if you have the ability to generate percentages then i presume you would still have that data available too.
http://www.planetarion.com/PAdata.png

Thats all the data I have along with some calculations based upon it. Things in red are estimates.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 16 Feb 2007, 21:22   #32
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

I just signed up a freebie, and it seems very playable.

Well done!

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Feb 2007, 23:52   #33
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

When the game bring in this little money, i realy dont understand why jolt keeps it alive

Unread 17 Feb 2007, 06:42   #34
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allfather
When the game bring in this little money, i realy dont understand why jolt keeps it alive
Because Jolt's boss is playing ?
Unread 17 Feb 2007, 10:02   #35
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn
because they still make money off it.
Well... not if I get all the investment I want this year. Jolt are more than willing to invest if they can be convinced of the merits on a case by case basis.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 17 Feb 2007, 14:02   #36
mically
Poisoned Dwarfs... where

mically is an unknown quantity at this point

Being a cheapskate, I left pa in r7 due to the pay-to-play (plus various other factors that are a totally different topic.)

But on hearing the freebies are back, I came back.

As stated above - freebie accounts are very playable, but he paid ones do make playing it easier (e.g. ability to see out going fleets from galaxy status, view my history) and ofc, naming fleets.

If the equality of the game continues (no single dominance) then I might pay for the next round!)

So far, So good !!
mically is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Feb 2007, 14:06   #37
Rc mayhem
Un-retired by request

Rc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these parts

I only really see not changing engineering been a problem. Most frees could be above the average alliance score of the top 5 if they were skilled enough, the account is not a limiting factor. I cant decide if this is a good or bad thing though.
Played r4-present missing only 1 round so sad...
Rc mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Feb 2007, 14:28   #38
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Im not complaining that they keep it alive, i just dont understand the economics of it

Unread 17 Feb 2007, 16:31   #39
Nofutcha
Airvatar

Nofutcha will become famous soon enoughNofutcha will become famous soon enough

They figure it brings new players into the game who might want to play. Like free samples of shampoo, or perfume.

#phnx
Nofutcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Feb 2007, 22:18   #40
Clogg
SiNíng is a lifestyle

Clogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to all

Thanks to Kal links I first had an insight in the amount of planets signups in the rounds and honestly I'm shocked that the amount of planets is decreasing so rapidly.

And do the free accounts have Etd as default nowadays? It seems the whole universe is etd nowadays.
Unread 18 Feb 2007, 04:57   #41
murder

murder is a name known to allmurder is a name known to allmurder is a name known to allmurder is a name known to allmurder is a name known to allmurder is a name known to all

I think the current set up for free planets is pretty ideal. The playability may keep free players from getting frustrated and quitting while new players have more meat to sink their teeth into. Although new players may not know they are actually missing anything.

Well, People aren't actively searching for this game or games like it. It needs to be set up so more people stumble upon it as a curiosity.....then get sucked in but the uniqueness of it (community and such)...

If you advertise with a banner it shouldn't be on a gaming site...it should be on sites where people go to waste time...or trendy sites that have nothing to do with games....I actually found PA from reading a news site Fark.com...it wasn't a link to this game but i was here one link later.( that was about 10 rounds ago)
Unread 18 Feb 2007, 07:32   #42
Antjie
Most Lovable

Antjie has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Never thought PA would ever have so few players ever. Is something going to be done to attract more players again or just let it die a slow death?
Unread 18 Feb 2007, 12:12   #43
Kal
Inactive peon

On the issue of the decline, I think its worth pointing out that we can't judge this round until it has finished. At the start of this round I was very worried, but the numbers are increasing at a steady rate.

Its also worth pointing out that the effect of changing free accounts is likely to be a long term influence rather than a quick fix - we need people to actually go and spread the word that you can now do very well in PA without paying. We also need them to spread the word about an exciting new race etc. Sure the game has problems, but so do all the others. If PA is to grow the current players need to evangelise it to other people - even if we do advertise, if the current players then put everyone off then we gain nothing.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 18 Feb 2007, 14:00   #44
Heartless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
On the issue of the decline, I think its worth pointing out that we can't judge this round until it has finished. At the start of this round I was very worried, but the numbers are increasing at a steady rate.

Its also worth pointing out that the effect of changing free accounts is likely to be a long term influence rather than a quick fix - we need people to actually go and spread the word that you can now do very well in PA without paying. We also need them to spread the word about an exciting new race etc. Sure the game has problems, but so do all the others. If PA is to grow the current players need to evangelise it to other people - even if we do advertise, if the current players then put everyone off then we gain nothing.
On the other hand, we should not spread the word that the ship stats are once again utter crap, that the gameplay still is as interesting as watching paint dry and the user-interface causes eye-cancer. Am I correct?
Unread 18 Feb 2007, 16:44   #45
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartless
On the other hand, we should not spread the word that the ship stats are once again utter crap, that the gameplay still is as interesting as watching paint dry and the user-interface causes eye-cancer. Am I correct?
Yes, clearly the game needs to improve in many many areas. However, the game is still better than some of the other games out there that our community is familiar with e.g. pia and dom. While clearly we need to improve to compete, I'd argue that we are now in a position to at least be identified as one of if not the best game based on netgamers and as such, we should try to regain players from theese other games.

But as we have not yet improved enough to provide interest from people beyond netgamers, then there is little point in advertising.

As a minor little point - If I was still playing the game and I was tlaking to rl people I know about it - I'd hardly be going around telling them I play a really awful game, I'd be selling them on its good points. And now theese people i'd be talking to can effectivly play the game for free.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 18 Feb 2007, 18:04   #46
anImaru
I want an avatar!

anImaru will become famous soon enoughanImaru will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
Yes, clearly the game needs to improve in many many areas. However, the game is still better than some of the other games out there that our community is familiar with e.g. pia and dom. While clearly we need to improve to compete, I'd argue that we are now in a position to at least be identified as one of if not the best game based on netgamers and as such, we should try to regain players from theese other games.
So essentially people should go out and poach players from these other games? Even though it is frowned upon to advertise in PA community for them, we should go do just that in their communities?
anImaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Feb 2007, 19:29   #47
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by anImaru
So essentially people should go out and poach players from these other games? Even though it is frowned upon to advertise in PA community for them, we should go do just that in their communities?
No, what I'm more saying is when you happen to be tlaking to your friends in thoose communities you could point out how PA has and is changing and how some of the reasons they orginally choose to play the other games i.e. that they are free and PA costs money arn't really the case anymore.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 19 Feb 2007, 11:46   #48
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

Why the hell do you rely on word of mouth so much? It can only go so far, where the bloody hell is the advertising
Unread 19 Feb 2007, 12:24   #49
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alki
Why the hell do you rely on word of mouth so much? It can only go so far, where the bloody hell is the advertising
Read up for why there is no advertising - in essence if people arn't going out and saying the game is good, then chances are advertising will also fail - why advertise a game if the current players don't think its good. We actually need to create a good product which will attract players before advertising can happen.

I do however want to get some advertising sorted for later in the year once the portal and in game skins have been revamped and after the next significant game change has occured.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 22 Feb 2007, 22:27   #50
rop1964
F Crew

rop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nice

agreed, pa has improve a lot for the new and inexperienced players, the free account and the improvement of the game is to be praised.
but from a friend who started the round, the biggest problem he had with the game was :

a) too much time consuming (game running 24/7 did not appeal to him)
b) could not figure out what he had to do (what and when to build/research, how to defend, what ship to build, etc)

but evidently the game did peek his interest.. i think it does need to be more dynamic somehow.

[F-Crew] - You know when you've been [FC]uked
rop1964 is offline   Reply With Quote