User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 31 May 2006, 16:06   #1
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough
Marv explains timezones

So, after a long debate / argument with various people about time zones concerning GMT, BST and the rest of Europe I promised I would put up a short thread explaining it all for those still confused.

GMT (Greenwich Mean Time)

This is the international benchmark form which all times are related.

BST (British Summer Time GMT+1)

This is the time zone which the UK shifts to in the summer. BST is a displacement from GMT by +1 hours.

CET (Central European Time GMT +1)

In the winter this is the time zone that Europe works on. +1 hours displaced from GMT.

CEST (Central European Summer Time GMT +2)

This is the time zone that Europe works on in the summer. +2 hours displaced form GMT.

So what goes on when?
  • In the Winter, the UK runs on GMT and Europe runs on CET (GMT+1).
  • In the Summer, the UK runs on BST (GMT+1) and Europe runs on CEST (GMT+2)

Example

Winter - If an event is announced as commencing at 20:00GMT. It translates as starting at 20:00 for the UK and at 21:00CET for Europe.

Summer - If an event is announced as commencing at 20:00GMT. It translates as starting at 21:00BST (UK) and 22:00CEST(Europe).

I hope this clears up many of the questions that arise via time zones and times of events starting / finishing.

This website is a handy tool for looking up time & date information.

Feel free to rob this for your own boards should you find other communities are having the same trouble getting to grips with it all, just give Planetarion the credit and link to us

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.

Last edited by Appocomaster; 17 Jun 2017 at 06:55.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 May 2006, 22:37   #2
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Marv explains timezones

I live in Somalia, what time is it here?

Unread 1 Jun 2006, 01:03   #3
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyChecker
I live in Somalia, what time is it here?

Somalia is GMT+3.

Unread 1 Jun 2006, 01:12   #4
Villeh
Ubi concordia, ibi victor

Villeh is on a distinguished road

Go here:

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/

Choose the "Personal World Clock" function and you can save a profile with the cities/countries you'd like, easy access to see what time it is where at any time!

You're welcome

* We do not exist *

Last edited by Appocomaster; 17 Jun 2017 at 06:55.
Villeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jun 2006, 01:32   #5
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Totally off-topic, but: f0king hell, it's Villeh! Get on irc mate
Unread 1 Jun 2006, 03:50   #6
Villeh
Ubi concordia, ibi victor

Villeh is on a distinguished road

Hey Nad

Im so out of the loop these days I wouldn't even know what chans to go to...
I'll try to install irc, we'll see what I find

* We do not exist *
Villeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jun 2006, 06:19   #7
Lonely
noobie

Lonely is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv
CET (Central European Time GMT +1)

In the winter this is the time zone that Europe works on. +1 hours displaced from GMT.

CEST (Central European Summer Time GMT +2)

This is the time zone that Europe works on in the summer. +2 hours displaced form GMT.

So what goes on when?
  • In the Winter, the UK runs on GMT and Europe runs on CET (GMT+1).
  • In the Summer, the UK runs on BST (GMT+1) and Europe runs on CEST (GMT+2)
You saying Finland aint in Europe anymore ? As we never been in CET/CEST timezone...generalizing is baaaaaad, but I guess we all have our own view of what's europe

Personally I never had problems with the timezones and summer/winter time changes, and those who know me know why I wrote this

Good post though but the same questions will be asked by many people everytime anyway

-Lonely
Lonely is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jun 2006, 07:10   #8
OlaTa
Friends and Foes

OlaTa is a splendid one to beholdOlaTa is a splendid one to beholdOlaTa is a splendid one to beholdOlaTa is a splendid one to beholdOlaTa is a splendid one to beholdOlaTa is a splendid one to beholdOlaTa is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely
You saying Finland aint in Europe anymore ? As we never been in CET/CEST timezone...generalizing is baaaaaad, but I guess we all have our own view of what's europe

Personally I never had problems with the timezones and summer/winter time changes, and those who know me know why I wrote this

Good post though but the same questions will be asked by many people everytime anyway

-Lonely
Well, you finns are in EET/EEST zone. Eastern European (Summer) Time
Unread 4 Jun 2006, 11:01   #9
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You saying Finland aint in Europe anymore
Its not a real country anyway
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jun 2006, 14:23   #10
Marv
Jazz Man

Quote:

-Lonely
If you read the whole post I provided a link at the botton for looking up other timezones and thier relationship to GMT.