User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 17 Feb 2006, 18:01   #1
joneggson
egg > *

joneggson is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry how do i win?!?

So i'm sat here at my rank 250 ish and just looked at the universe and found out i'm too big to attack #3 in the universe!!! doens't this seem stupid? how am i supposed to win if i can't attack people above me?!?!

I'd say the bash limit needs changing to take into account score... but whats the point in that? the guy only has 210 roids anyway.. its hardly worth me waking up at even midday to launch at him!

and then also today i was attacked by a guy, he sent mass tulas at me and being xan that kinda sucks.. but i managed to get def and wiped out 224 of his cruisers! yeay! go me! yet he took 250 roids gained 5000xp and now sits miles above me in the rankings and i'm unable to get my roids back as he has dropped below my bash limit!!! (well apart from teh 2 fleets i launched before wiping 80k score off him.... which ain't gonna get ALL my roids back and i was attached to those, they were my favourites!)

anyway, i don't know where this is going now, its just a rant at the flaws in teh game atm! needs sorting! who is with me?!?! or shall we all just join the mass suiciders launching at the biggest guy we can find to get 1 roid and shed loads of XP? yeay i killed my fleet! but look i'm in the top 10! woohoo! aren't i good?!?!? no your a "new player to the game that knows nothing"! (in old skool terms)
joneggson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Feb 2006, 18:05   #2
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: how do i win?!?

Welcome to PA.
Unread 17 Feb 2006, 18:06   #3
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

But if you lose that much of your fleet, you're going to be screwed for attacking for a while. And so everything evens out in the end.

There is no flaw in the game. Read the following threads:
http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=189779
http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=189796

and you shall be enlightened.

As for the rant: 7/10, reduced to 5/10 for lack of capitals. This made me sad.
Unread 17 Feb 2006, 18:07   #4
Proxi
Ron Burgundy

Proxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant future

Learn. Adapt. Play.
Unread 17 Feb 2006, 18:32   #5
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
But if you lose that much of your fleet, you're going to be screwed for attacking for a while. And so everything evens out in the end.
Furby is spot on.

If the attacker only has 200 or so roids, it's going to take him about 6 days to rebuild his CR fleet. In which time, value players will have more anti CR and find it far easier to stop him completely in the future. XP whoring doesn't usually pay off in the end... take a look at dingo, he was 1st just 5 or so days ago, now his growth has slowed and he's down outside of the T30.
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Feb 2006, 18:41   #6
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate
Furby is spot on.

If the attacker only has 200 or so roids, it's going to take him about 6 days to rebuild his CR fleet. In which time, value players will have more anti CR and find it far easier to stop him completely in the future. XP whoring doesn't usually pay off in the end... take a look at dingo, he was 1st just 5 or so days ago, now his growth has slowed and he's down outside of the T30.
That is partly because he hasn't attacked in three days I believe. Not that what you say isn't correct, just being pedantic for the sake of it!
Unread 17 Feb 2006, 18:53   #7
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate
Furby is spot on.

Like JBG said, Dingo haven't attacked in 3 (will be 4th now). If he had attacked he'd most likely been where he was.
Unread 17 Feb 2006, 19:13   #8
TSP

TSP has a spectacular aura aboutTSP has a spectacular aura aboutTSP has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by joneggson
(well apart from teh 2 fleets i launched before wiping 80k score off him.... which ain't gonna get ALL my roids back and i was attached to those, they were my favourites!)
This would seem to answer the problem. You're not going to win by two waving someone below your bash limit.

In the long run, losing 80k value in an attack isn't going to win you the game. It's a short term gain - losing that much makes the attack less profitable, disables your ability to attack for a while, and means you have to land very low loss attacks in the short term. In the long run the value player has the advantage. But, as ever, xp whoring vs. value play isn't black and white. Pure xp whoring isn't going to get you a good rank, but neither does merely spending your whole time protecting your roids. The most successful players will protect their roids while making frequent decent attacks.

Alas, I've lost too many Pegs to claim to be doing this with any measure of success.

Last edited by TSP; 17 Feb 2006 at 19:19.
TSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Feb 2006, 22:31   #9
joneggson
egg > *

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSP
This would seem to answer the problem. You're not going to win by two waving someone below your bash limit.
so getting 240ish roids for 0 losses isn't a good move? WHATEVER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSP
The most successful players will protect their roids while making frequent decent attacks.
yep done.. that... top 50 roids, top 50 value, not even top 200 in rank... hmmmmmmm..... something doesn't add up there?
r3 81:2:18
r4 30:14:10
r5 3:5:21
r6 4:15:13
r7 13:8:4
r8 3:5:3
r9 31:2:1
r9.5 - 11 ? "played"
r12 24:1:7
r16 20:8:9

cus i'm sure you all wanted to know!
Unread 17 Feb 2006, 23:30   #10
TSP

TSP has a spectacular aura aboutTSP has a spectacular aura aboutTSP has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
so getting 240ish roids for 0 losses isn't a good move? WHATEVER!
Only if you're able to keep them for quite a while, and even then, there are better ways to use the fleets.

Quote:
yep done.. that... top 50 roids, top 50 value, not even top 200 in rank... hmmmmmmm..... something doesn't add up there?
And as I and numerous other posters above pointed out, sacrificing your fleet is a short term gain whereas in the long term value will pay off. This stage of the game the balance will always be tipped in favour of those who've landed some early good attacks. But again, if you're merely playing for value and landing only zero loss risk free attacks on people quite a bit smaller than you, don't expect to have a high rank because there are people playing for value and not sacrificing their fleets. If you're top 50 value and not top 200 rank then I think there's probably something wrong on the attacking side.
TSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Feb 2006, 23:51   #11
joneggson
egg > *

How can there be something wrong on the attacking side when i have nearly 1k roids?!?!?!? huh? hmmmm??? that to me suggest good target picking! get roids, keep my fleet, mine more resources to get bigger!
the 1k roids also that suggests i can keep them well.... against sane people who play the game right, scan and don't land when they're gonna lose 1/3 fleet :-|
Unread 18 Feb 2006, 00:00   #12
PaLiNDRoMe
I like Red

PaLiNDRoMe is infamous around these partsPaLiNDRoMe is infamous around these partsPaLiNDRoMe is infamous around these parts

XP is part of the game, if your Value is high and your roids, but your not top 100 or don't have high score its because your not attacking big people!

I (had) a very high value and very high roids and inturn i had a very high score. Why? Well becasue i would hit people double my size. Thats called playing for XP and value, which is how you can maintain top 100 a lot more easily (unless you crash your fleet :-/).

So... yes its annoying to have top 10 being 100 roid guys with 200k value BUT they are players that know how to play the game. If they weren't, they wouldn't be top 10 for 2 weeks straight. Its not their fault that people mass them and they lose their roids...

I agree that in the end only the best players will keep top 100, those that just crash fleets without strategies won't be able to maintain it.
_______
PaLiNDRoMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Feb 2006, 00:38   #13
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
How can there be something wrong on the attacking side when i have nearly 1k roids?!?!?!? huh? hmmmm??? that to me suggest good target picking! get roids, keep my fleet, mine more resources to get bigger!
the 1k roids also that suggests i can keep them well.... against sane people who play the game right, scan and don't land when they're gonna lose 1/3 fleet :-|
Keep those 1k roids for a while and you'll see the gain. Currently, 200k of your value is in roids, not ships. When it turns into ships (at a rate of about 69k value per day), things look a lot rosier. 69k value per day in ship production alone is very nice and makes it difficult for others to keep up. So long as you just keep attacking...
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Feb 2006, 00:48   #14
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Stop building loads of ships that you don't really need, and save some resources.

Then your value won't grow as fast, so you can hit people below you.

Alternatively, if you want to grow in score, then attack people with a much larger value than yourself.

It isn't that hard dude