User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 5 Jul 2005, 00:21   #1
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
The Simpsons

I've noticed that whenever I watch an episode of The Simpsons I never recognise the first 5 minutes, I assume I've never seen it before. Then the proper plot kicks in and I realise that I have seen it before. Does anybody else get this problem?

Oh, and to make this thread less shit, who is your favourite Simpsons character? Mine has to be Abe Simpson: "Now, my story begins in 19 dickety 2. We had to say dickety cos the Kaiser had stolen our word 20!" hehe.
Unread 5 Jul 2005, 00:32   #2
edmoo
SuperTux!

edmoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: The Simpsons

I had the same problem. I solved it by stopping watching the simpsons.
The simpsons is ok, but it isn't really laugh-out-loud funny, imho. Its just kind of comforably numb, and I always feel like I just wasted some of my life when I watched it.

Abe Simpsons is indeed the greatest simpsons character...

"I got a funny story about that. Well it's not so much funny as it is long."
Unread 5 Jul 2005, 00:45   #3
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

I used to watch Simpsons loads, back when the BBC had it. I haven't watched it for 5 or 6 years though, I gues I just overloaded on it. I have a load of series on disc though so I've started watching them. As you say it's not laugh out loud funny but it's decent, mild, wholesome entertainment. After recently watching all existing episodes of South Park I need something less controversial
Unread 5 Jul 2005, 00:48   #4
edmoo
SuperTux!

edmoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah Southpark.

Its so easy to dismiss it - I always forget how good it is, untill sombody drunk puts it on in the aftermath of a party, when I die laughing. Fried Gold.
Unread 5 Jul 2005, 01:20   #5
Cuddley_Battleship
Luminous Flux

Cuddley_Battleship is infamous around these partsCuddley_Battleship is infamous around these partsCuddley_Battleship is infamous around these partsCuddley_Battleship is infamous around these partsCuddley_Battleship is infamous around these partsCuddley_Battleship is infamous around these parts

The new Simpsons episodes haven't been funny for 4-5 years, I can't stand to watch the first 5 minutes of them
Unread 5 Jul 2005, 01:34   #6
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Whatever you say about the Simpsons, its a class above South Park in every regard

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jul 2005, 02:07   #7
Dark-Strider
Reservoir Dog

Dark-Strider is on a distinguished road

Best character is Duffman or Wiggum.

And imo Southpark > Simpsons.

Altho Futurama = best.
Unread 5 Jul 2005, 02:48   #8
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i normally get them within a couple of minutes, if that...

and yes, it has become less funny recently. Im now convinced that south park is the best american television show ever.
Unread 5 Jul 2005, 03:06   #9
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

Duffman or Disco Stu

"Duffman. Can't breath. Oh No"
or better yet
"Duffman. Can't die. Only actors who portray him. Oh yeah!"
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jul 2005, 15:01   #10
Hugin
Ministry

Hugin is on a distinguished road

Marge calling Cheif Wiggum:

"eerrm.. you got the wrong number, this is 91...eh..2"

Class
Unread 6 Jul 2005, 13:22   #11
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

family guy > *
also, comic book guy is pretty cool, as is moe.
Unread 6 Jul 2005, 13:25   #12
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

I never really got into Family Guy, only watched a couple of episodes. Looks to me like they're just trying to be like The Simpsons but zanier and whackier!

Look, we have a baby too, and he talks! And look, we have a dog too, and he talks!
Unread 6 Jul 2005, 13:30   #13
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Family Guy > Futurama > Simpsons.

I won't even include South Park as the novelty wore off after season 1 and I stopped finding it funny. I'm starting to like American Dad more and more though, it's rapidly over taking the Simpsons.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jul 2005, 13:34   #14
Dark-Strider
Reservoir Dog

Ralf Wiggum is funny as well.

Homer: There's your giraffe, little girl.
Ralph Wiggum: I'm a boy.
Homer: That's the spirit. Never give up.

Ralph: Hi, Super Nintendo Chalmers!

Bart: Go orange!
Nelson: Go grapefruit!
Ralph: Go Banana!
Unread 6 Jul 2005, 13:49   #15
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks
I won't even include South Park as the novelty wore off after season 1 and I stopped finding it funny
Series 1 is pretty flat compared to what came afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyChecker
I never really got into Family Guy, only watched a couple of episodes. Looks to me like they're just trying to be like The Simpsons but zanier and whackier!

Look, we have a baby too, and he talks! And look, we have a dog too, and he talks!
Could that be because they're both spoofing the same convention? "LOL THEY HAVE A DOG!" is a pretty poor argument, especially given that Santa's Little Helper appears less than most of the minor characters. You might as well criticise Family Guy for having a Principle at the school - it's obviously just ripped off Skinner, even though the characters are different, irrespective of the independent justification for having that character.

Setting generally matters little in comedy - someone I know wrote a little sitcom about thieves, and most of the jokes transpose directly into the thing he's currently writing, which is about astronauts. Instead, if you want to say something is derivative of another comedy, look at the style of humour, the satirical point (if any).

Could you see the Cool-Aid man crashing through the wall of a courtroom on The Simpsons? Maybe in a Halloween special, but not otherwise (well, maybe in the later series, but now we're talking about lazy writing, using fourth wall breaking gags because they're easier to write). It's perfectly commonplace in Family Guy. Would Family Guy satirise the tendency of the american populace to place more trust in private, wealthy, citizens than politicians? I doubt it.

The only thing that really links Family Guy, The Simpsons and South Park is that they've all had Mel Gibson themed episodes - and none of them have sucked, which is the usual state of play when we're talking about episodes themed around a particular celeb (Simpsons, I'm looking at you).
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jul 2005, 13:55   #16
Dark-Strider
Reservoir Dog

What about King of The Hill. That was good.
Unread 6 Jul 2005, 14:18   #17
laputa
Xanadu

laputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to behold

...I'm called Ralf!

[23:33] <@Divine> hmm I think I may have a new GF aswell
[23:33] <@Divine> but dunno yet if I want a new GF so early in the round
laputa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jul 2005, 14:29   #18
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Professor Frink would probably be my favourite Simpsons character, though he's so rarely featured.

I've never really been into Family Guy, infact I had to watch it about 10 times before I warmed up to it, but in general I just see it as trying too hard to be funny.

I liked King Of The Hill.

The newer Simpsons episodes have been getting better, but I must agree they don't have the same zing of the originals. All in all the only cartoon I lust for is Futurama, and I'd rather they re-directed their Simpsons budget towards making more episodes of that.
djbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jul 2005, 14:38   #19
ChipZ^
Registered AbUser

ChipZ^ has a reputation beyond reputeChipZ^ has a reputation beyond reputeChipZ^ has a reputation beyond reputeChipZ^ has a reputation beyond reputeChipZ^ has a reputation beyond reputeChipZ^ has a reputation beyond reputeChipZ^ has a reputation beyond reputeChipZ^ has a reputation beyond reputeChipZ^ has a reputation beyond reputeChipZ^ has a reputation beyond reputeChipZ^ has a reputation beyond repute

The first 3 seasons of Family Guy were good, but not great and i wasn't looking forward to season 4 at-all but it is by far the funniest episodes of family guy to date, well worth a watch.

American Dad is too much like Family Guy but not as funny imo, stopped watching it.

Simpsons is a classic but like previously said in the thread its not "HAHA" funny, just warm and fuzzy :P

Futurama rocks ^_^ dr Zoidberg 4TW woopwowopwowooopopopp

South Park is just fkn ace, cant wait till the last half of season 9 comes out, i watched a few old episodes the other day and they are much more restrained and not as funny as the latest seasons, its "matured" with age

South Park > Futurama > Family Guy (season4) > Simpsons > American Dad
ChipZ^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jul 2005, 14:44   #20
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

Zoidberg is great, like when he tried to teach Fry the apology dance
Unread 6 Jul 2005, 22:24   #21
Thermodynamics
Powering your life...

Thermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to behold

Mister Burns... beyond a doubt, the man is incredibly funny- I rarely watch TV, let alone cartoons, but Mr. Burn is my favourite cartoon charater
Unread 6 Jul 2005, 23:18   #22
Avenged
Available

Avenged is just really niceAvenged is just really niceAvenged is just really niceAvenged is just really nice

i think futurama is alot better, my fav episode is Jurassic Bark, but its so sad n i cant stop listening to Walking on sunshine because of it, i know i should be shot but oh well
Avenged is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jul 2005, 19:42   #23
Chris_1
career peOn

Chris_1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenged
i think futurama is alot better, my fav episode is Jurassic Bark, but its so sad n i cant stop listening to Walking on sunshine because of it, i know i should be shot but oh well
Futurama is ace, they should have made more series
Chris_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jul 2005, 19:53   #24
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

"A robot? Last year's winner was a jar of owl pellets!"
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jul 2005, 20:00   #25
themast
Punk

themast is infamous around these partsthemast is infamous around these partsthemast is infamous around these partsthemast is infamous around these partsthemast is infamous around these partsthemast is infamous around these parts

family guy is da best. Then futurama. Then the simpsons. why the hell is southpark still on it should be banned from all channels
Rd6&7 4D (20:8:6) & (20:2:10) Rd14 ND (2:5:4)
Rd8 Did not play Rd15 Did not play
Rd9 4D/SWaRM (13:4:10) Rd16 ND (14:1:6)
Rd9.5 SWaRM (42:7:4) Rd17 ND (13:10:8)
Rd10 SWaRM (21:4:7) Rd18 ND (13:6:8)
Rd10.5 SWaRM (5:5:10) Rd19 ND - HC (1:9:3)
Rd11 ND (32:2:10) Rd36 ND 7:9:7
Rd12 ND (30:10:1)
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jul 2005, 20:01   #26
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themast
family guy is da best. Then futurama. Then the simpsons. why the hell is southpark still on it should be banned from all channels
south park is marvellous. it had a two-season dip when the fart jokes got old and the satire hadn't arrived, but before and after this it's fantastic.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote