User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Strategic Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 31 Jul 2010, 13:43   #1
MEX

MEX will become famous soon enoughMEX will become famous soon enough
Question r38 ... why initiate more than 200 roids before tick 1 ?

Hi all,

I see many planets now during tick 0 of round 38 with more than 300 roids

Is there something I didn't calculate right, or are these all are just ROID FARMS ?

MfG, MEX

PS: I didn't play PA for several years ...
Unread 31 Jul 2010, 13:52   #2
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: r38 ... why initiate more than 200 roids before tick 1 ?

PA is currently very different to what it was in terms of the first ticks. The main differences are that now protection, which used to last 72 hours, only lasts 24 hours. The second major difference is that you get startup bonuses which you can spend on initing roids/saving for ships and researches and constructions.

If people initiate to 300 roids they get a guaranteed income for the first 24+8 (traveltime until you get landed on by first attackers) income for that time. It's just under 16k each res to initiate your 100th roid (and you need to initiate in even amounts these days, there's very little difference between the different types of roids except mild differences in ship costs). With a 25% mining bonus (see your population screen) and various government bonuses ranging from 5 to 20%, you can mine 350 of each res per tick from your 100th asteroid. So as long as you don't get roided the first night you're guaranteed to gain more resources from those roids than they cost to initiate.

As well as this it's a slight carry-over from before protection times dropped down from 72 to 24 ticks where some planets could initiate up to 500 roids and have them guaranteed to pay off before they got roided. So the fact that lots of people do it means you stand out less.

Basically it's a bit of a gamble on not getting roided early on, especially when you start going towards 500 roids as you really start to stand out then.

PS Judging by your join date I'd guess that maybe you weren't playing when the cost of initiating roids was decreased by 40% for r21. This changed the dynamics of the early ticks significantly. Whereas around r13-20 the best approach was to init like 160 roids and attack early on initing to 300 became pretty viable afterwards.
Unread 31 Jul 2010, 16:32   #3
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Light has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond repute

init to 200 if you're CR/BS rushing.
init to 300 if you're new or not sure.
init to 450 if you want to take a risk.

I personally always init to 450 as i dont like to play catchup, plus with your upgrade bonus and stockpiled resources.. you can outprod most incomings you might get.
First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jul 2010, 17:59   #4
MEX

Cool Re: r38 ... why initiate more than 200 roids before tick 1 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light View Post
init to 200 if you're CR/BS rushing.
init to 300 if you're new or not sure.
init to 450 if you want to take a risk.

I personally always init to 450 as i dont like to play catchup, plus with your upgrade bonus and stockpiled resources.. you can outprod most incomings you might get.
I decided to go for 200-300 roids before I started this topic.

As I am currently not in a alliance I didn't want to stand out too much, and I only can mine up to 200 roid effectively after tick 2 as I decided to spend my bonus for other researches.

MfG, MEX
Unread 31 Jul 2010, 18:03   #5
Patrikc

Patrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant future

Don't forget, you can always reset your planet from the Preferences page and 'try again', at no cost or penalty (even if you've used your Credit).
Patrikc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jul 2010, 18:07   #6
MEX

Talking Re: r38 ... why initiate more than 200 roids before tick 1 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrikc View Post
Don't forget, you can always reset your planet and 'try again' from the Preferences page, at no cost or penalty (even if you've used your Credit).
Already did that ( that feature was new to me ) as I accidentally did the first 2 quests which give you 24 roids total before initating my other roids from the bonus cash

MfG, MEX
Unread 31 Jul 2010, 23:00   #7
DragonKing

DragonKing is a name known to allDragonKing is a name known to allDragonKing is a name known to allDragonKing is a name known to allDragonKing is a name known to allDragonKing is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEX View Post
As I am currently not in a alliance
MfG, MEX
on a separate note i would recommend getting an alliance asap

Round 27 28 HA DC BC, 29 VGN DC, 30 ND DC, 31 32 HA head DC,
Round 33 34 35 ND DC
Round 36 37 38 ND HC DC
Round 39 to Forever ND DC
DragonKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jul 2010, 23:04   #8
Patrikc

Patrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonKing View Post
You just don't want last round to repeat itself!
Patrikc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Aug 2010, 16:34   #9
MEX

Question Re: r38 ... why initiate more than 200 roids before tick 1 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonKing View Post
Which alliance would you suggest for someone who just play for fun, but is still interested in participating in a competent alliance which doesnt restrict his actions too much ?

MfG, MEX
Unread 2 Aug 2010, 17:18   #10
Sun_Tzu
Arrogant Fck

Sun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Which alliance would you suggest for someone who just play for fun, but is still interested in participating in a competent alliance which doesnt restrict his actions too much ?

MfG, MEX
Well...usually I'd say ND, but seeing as how they were ~95 last round and the limit got dropped, I'm guessing there's no room.

SMART THING THAT ALLIANCE LIMIT AYEH?!
Unread 2 Aug 2010, 17:21   #11
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

Ct/oddr?
Unread 2 Aug 2010, 17:22   #12
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

id suggest you start your own! because shit like that dont exist yo
Unread 2 Aug 2010, 19:03   #13
Sun_Tzu
Arrogant Fck

Sun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by isildurx View Post
Ct/oddr?
Or Horde maybe now.
Unread 3 Aug 2010, 06:59   #14
Pug

Pug can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrikc View Post
You just don't want last round to repeat itself!
lol

EDIT (for some substance): Do the math and a quick start strat on your roids and how you feel you want to proceed. As JBG said, you can get your recources back in time and as Light said, be in better standing to out prod some, if not most incs.
Pug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Aug 2010, 07:35   #15
MEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alki View Post
id suggest you start your own! because shit like that dont exist yo
Already did that because of the roids from the first 2 quests you get for joining a alliance, posting in a alliance forum, sharing scans with your alliance, ...

I remember that there was a restriction that you cant join a alliance for several ticks after leaving a alliance, did they remove this or how long do you have to wait after deleting your alliance or leaving it ?

MfG, MEX
Unread 3 Aug 2010, 09:29   #16
Reincarnate
ToF

Reincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to all

if you leave the alliance before ticks start you can join another straight away.

another reason people init lots of roids is if they are zik and actually want incoming so they can steal it.
[19:10] <coffee-> dont worry about Reincarnate he is an angry man

R1 - 9 none | R10.5 - 13 [ToF] | R14 [Reunion] | R15-17 [Subh] | R18 - 36 PA vacation | R37 [Evo] | R38 [NFI] | R39 & 40 [ToF] | R41 [Omega] | R42 - 47 [ToF][HC]
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Aug 2010, 09:31   #17
CBA
Mind-boggling

CBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Already did that because of the roids from the first 2 quests you get for joining a alliance, posting in a alliance forum, sharing scans with your alliance, ...

I remember that there was a restriction that you cant join a alliance for several ticks after leaving a alliance, did they remove this or how long do you have to wait after deleting your alliance or leaving it ?

MfG, MEX
At tick 0 you can leave and re-join a different alliance as many times as you like. Try #horde. They're new this round recruiting new players to train them up. this would be a good starting place for you anyhow.

R21-Randy Dandys Winners R21
1:9:5 -SoClose- -YetSoFar-

You have pending friend requests from Newt.
CBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Aug 2010, 08:56   #18
MEX

Question Re: r38 ... why initiate more than 200 roids before tick 1 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBA View Post
At tick 0 you can leave and re-join a different alliance as many times as you like...
And after tick 0 ?

MfG, MEX
Unread 4 Aug 2010, 08:57   #19
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Then you can only join a new one 48 ticks after leaving your old one.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Aug 2010, 02:43   #20
HeimdallR

HeimdallR will become famous soon enoughHeimdallR will become famous soon enough

Quote:

MfG, MEX
ct/oddr/hr/horde (new from this round).

anyways we have a few spots left #oddr

If life hands you lemons, drink more tequila

After the game is over the king and the pawn end up in the same box

HA - asc -rdm-asc-VR- #ODDR - APP
Finally retired
HeimdallR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2010, 15:54   #21
Edge
hate us cuz they ain't us

Edge has a spectacular aura aboutEdge has a spectacular aura about

Howling Rain is recruiting.

http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=198823

And yeah we'z get down.