User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 23 Mar 2003, 13:20   #1
poshphil
Little Bitch

poshphil is an unknown quantity at this point
Sound in DOS

Im running XP on my PC at the moment, I've managed to create a partition at the start of the HD and stick dos on that, however my problem lies in getting the sound to work in there.

Being an awkward sod I have a M-Audio Audiophile 2496, this doesnt have any DOS drivers. Someone has suggested to me to look for general purpose PCI Sound Card drivers for DOS, but im drawing blanks with regards to that. Any suggestions?

Any help on this would be much appreciated.
Unread 23 Mar 2003, 13:33   #2
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
The only cards which ever really had support for sound in DOS were Creative (up to the AWE32 afaik) and Gravis Ultrasound.
Since you're going to say "who?" for the last one I can safely ignore it.
However, all the DOS drivers are for ISA cards (DOS doesn't know about PCI). The only way I've ever seen PCI soundblasters working in DOS (mine has) is by the windows drivers emulating the ISA card, which means running the DOS app via windows.

In all probability your best bet is to go find an old soundblaster from somewhere - assuming your motherboard actually has any ISA slots (absolutely no-one makes ISA equipment any more).
If you're really into retro gaming or something go pick up an old 486/DX (not /SX, they don't have an onboard FPU) from your local paper's classified ads, it'll make life easier in the long run.

Unread 23 Mar 2003, 21:37   #3
Deathjam
Banned

Deathjam is an unknown quantity at this point
i dunno if this will help u but here goes

VDMSound
Deathjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Mar 2003, 21:59   #4
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by meglamaniac
The only cards which ever really had support for sound in DOS were Creative (up to the AWE32 afaik) and Gravis Ultrasound.
Oi! Adlib ffs :P

And the GUS was rather spangly, especially with the daughterboard
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Mar 2003, 23:14   #5
poshphil
Little Bitch

poshphil is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Deathjam
i dunno if this will help u but here goes

VDMSound
yeah, i'd looked at that. Needs windows to be running to work. Obviously i cant do that when im only running XP unfortunately

I suspected i was being a bit optimistic, especially as my card doesnt have synthesis onboard it (i think) so it pretty much puts that out the question

cheers for the help anyway guys
Unread 23 Mar 2003, 23:21   #6
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Heh I'd forgotten Adlib - there's still a machine with one of them in it up in the great computer graveyard which is my parent's attic.
Did they even need any drivers (in the Soundblaster TSR sense, as opposed to applications doing the hardware calls)?
The one game I can remember playing on that machine was Pinball Fantasies, which somehow managed to output a 3 track MOD file through it (remember the days when MOD Track audio was 'cool'?) and, somehow, it could also do it through the PC speaker.

Unread 24 Mar 2003, 12:20   #7
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by meglamaniac
(absolutely no-one makes ISA equipment any more).
http://www.soyousa.com/products/proddesc.php?id=194

At the very least, it's not yet completely impossible to get ISA stuff