User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 22 Dec 2006, 16:04   #1
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Freeview box and VCR question

For some reason my gran has decided she wants a freeview box. I think one of her neighbours has one so she feels she is somehow missing out by not getting some extra shitty channels. Anyway, I went to get her one and set it up easily enough. She has a VCR so wants that connected as well, which I did because the digi box has 2 scart sockets.

Now the problem is that the VCR now wont record properly. I can manually get it to record whatever I'm watching on freeview on AV1 but if I try to record something automatically using the videoplus code (my gran uses that because its simple for her to use and understand) it tries to record off channel 1/2/3/4/5 and so gets no signal. Has anyone set up a VCR connected to a freeview box?

If I was doing it for myself I'd just unhook the box if I wanted to record off terrestrial TV but that's getting too complicated for my gran. Helpfully the freeview manual says 'refer to the manual that came with your VCR' and the VCR manual has no information on freeview boxes .
Unread 22 Dec 2006, 16:08   #2
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Freeview box and VCR question

So you have the line going into the freeview, and then two SEPARATE SCARTs, one going into the VCR, and one going into the TV?

I hate this kind of thing. We've got regular sky here, and setting it up with the VCR, and the TV, and the DVD Recorder (so you can record on both, not just watch, and record sky channels) was such a nightmare.

I expect it'll be something to do with changing the order around. You've only got 3 things, so there can't be that many combinations. Logic would dictate you need to have:

Line --> Freeview --scart--> VCR --scart/coaxial--> TV

Does that work?
Unread 22 Dec 2006, 16:09   #3
Tomkat

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

(or try looking it up on the net - there's a surprising amount of websites that have advice on this)
Unread 22 Dec 2006, 16:14   #4
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Im not sure videoplus codes can be used with freeview :S
my freeview box can be programmed with timers though for start time, date, channel and duration. not sure if that can trigger the vcr or not ( probably not ), but it might be worth looking into
Unread 22 Dec 2006, 16:33   #5
Tomkat

Actually thinking about how Videoplus works, I'd probably have to agree with Phil.

The numbers just tell the VCR to record on a certain channel, at a certain date, at a certain time. If all the freeview stuff goes through channel 6 (or AV1, or whatever) then it simply won't work. She'll have to do it manually or something
Unread 22 Dec 2006, 16:34   #6
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

It's set up so that the there is a scart cable from the TV to the freeview box and then a 2nd scart from the freeview box to the VCR. The aerial is plugged in to the freeview box obviously. I'm not bothered if she cant record the extra freeview channels but she will want to record things off BBC/ITV like Eastenders and Corrie. The only way I can thing to do this at the moment is to unplug the freeview box but as I said earlier this isnt an option for my gran. Could I connect the VCR to the TV by S video (or whatever the other thing is) and the freeview box to the TV by scart? Then I'd need 2 separate aerials going to each with some kind of splitter if they exist? God knows if that's even possible let alone whether it would do what I want.

I've tried looking at a few sites TK but have found nothing helpful yet, I was hoping someone on here might have some first hand experience.
Unread 22 Dec 2006, 18:23   #7
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You have two options.

Option 1 (assuming your freeview box has an aerial passthrough):
Get another length of aerial cable and connect the passthrough on the freeview box to the aerial in socket on the VCR. Then at least she can use videoplus on channels 1-5 like normal.

Option 2:
Video plus is an analog only thing afaik. However, if your freeview box is halfway decent you should just be able to press a button when you've got the relevant program highlighted on the 7-day EPG and it will set the timers up to turn the box on for that channel at that time. It's more complicated than videoplus and you still need to manually tell the VCR to record as well. Unfortunately unless you go get her a DVD/Harddisk recorder with built in freeview it's going to be a pain in the ass.
Unread 22 Dec 2006, 18:28   #8
Tomkat

Oh.

You just need a coaxial cable (aerial cable) splitter I think (they do exist).

So the first aerial goes into the freeview box.
The second aerial goes into the VCR (make sure it's the input socket not the output one).
Then link the freeview and the TV as normal, with a SCART.
Then link the VCR up to the TV via SCART or coaxial (it shouldn't matter).
Then tune the VCR in normally to your TV channels (1/2/3/4/5).

Videoplus should then work, as the VCR is receiving transmissions directly from the aerial socket. You can watch it on the TV if you tune the TV to pick up the VCR signal on channel 0 or whatever.
Unread 22 Dec 2006, 20:07   #9
JC
lolly roffle

I'll give this a try over the weekend. Thanks for the help, sounds like this should do what she wants.
Unread 22 Dec 2006, 20:38   #10
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light

A freeview box with integrated hard drive is only easy way to record new channels. The old VCR should still do videoplus so long as the aerial is still plugged into it as it always was.

Each freeview box should have a coax in and a coax out, connect the coax out to the vcr's input. Splitting the coax might give you a poor signal in a weak area.

Following diagram shows what I do: linky

Thin lines are coax and thick are scart.
Unread 22 Dec 2006, 22:58   #11
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of

http://www.falconsat.co.uk/product_i...products_id=85

one of those should do the trick, as for signal strength.. if u do look like its a bit weak... get a booster, but weak signal is not that common any more.
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote