User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 28 Oct 2006, 15:31   #1
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
[spoilers] Who's been watching BSG S3?

This post contains spoilers for the first 4 episodes of Series 3.

So Battlestar has been running again for a few weeks now, and I've been keeping up with it. There used to be a few people on here who were fans, so I'm wondering what your thoughts are.

My thought on seeing the final episode of Season 2 was "oh no". I was dreading the whole of series 3 being split between that dustball of a planet and what was left of the fleet several lightyears away. The first two episodes of S3 made me worry even more, as that's what seemed to be happening. Ok the parallels with Iraq were interesting, but not enough to keep me watching really. Part 1 of Exodus nearly made me give up altogether, because it followed the habit BSG has of having absolutely nothing at all happen in the first half of its two-parters. All there was was a lot of buildup and what looked a shakey agreement to conduct a suicide mission crudely disguised as a rescue attempt.

Luckily I watched Exodus part 2 and it was right back how things should be, right down to things happening that really shock you. Tigh killed Ellen. Starbuck seems to have had her head royally screwed with. Lee sacrificed Pegasus. Adama pulled off the most insane stunt yet with Galactica.

I haven't got around to watching Collaborators yet, but here's hoping it stays back up to standard.
Unread 28 Oct 2006, 15:58   #2
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: [spoilers] Who's been watching BSG S3?

I cringe when i think of the 'Iraq' parts, and am glad they're off the planet and will be (with a bit of luck) back to the initial premise of the programme. Saying that though, i agree with you, Exodus part ii was pretty good - this may have something to do with my relief that they were finally getting back into space, not sure yet.
I realise the planet and 1 year jump was probably necessary to give the writers something to 'flash-back' to for future stories since they're two series away from Caprica/The Colonies, but i thought it was awful, and just made the programme drag for me. I'm glad they saw fit not to have half a series on it!
Ron Moore's podcasts may put a new light on to it for me, like it did with the series 2 finale, when i eventually get round to listening to them.
Unread 28 Oct 2006, 16:34   #3
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

The new season rocks. I love how the characters have developed and the way they are taking the show. The new episode Collaborators is a very nice episode that shows more of the aftermath and the revenge over the people working with the toasters. Some few flaws that annoyed me slightly escpecially with some of the people who got accused for collaborating. I felt that the entire circle of peers was somewhat stupid. Exodus part II was the best episode i've seen so far of BSG and it was extremly good. I loved the way they displayed the emotional choices alot of people especially Tigh had to do. I honestly didnt get that he killed Ellen before the episode after. I thought she was so emotionally tired that she went to sleep. lol. Lee was fun, I love how they've put on him some pounds and that he has grown soft. There is a quite funny conversation about him losing weight in Collaborators.

So far: Episode 1 : 7/10
episode 2: 8/10
Episode 3: 8/10
Episode 4: 10/10
Episode 5: 6/10
Unread 28 Oct 2006, 20:15   #4
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I've thoroughly enjoyed the new series so far. I wasn't a massive fan of the year jump device but at the same time I didn't really mind (some of) them being planet-bound (it was highly unlikely they were going to keep everyone split up for long though).

The episodes so far (I've not watched Collaborators yet) also made good use of the main characters - Starbuck putting through the wringer (again), Adama as the war leader (although he was a little too Churchillian in his speech) and it was good to see Tigh going from pointless old drunk to hardened resistance leader.

I'm just waiting to see the next way they make the viewers suffer. I suppose Karen finding out her child is alive (and they lied to her, etc) will be the next major development which will make everyone suffer.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Oct 2006, 00:48   #5
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
Those who might object to the Iraq comparisons are ignoring the fact that there is very little else anywhere on TV (especially US TV) doing anything like that in terms of political commentary.
Not ignoring that at all, but if i wanted political commentary i'd watch newsnight, the politics show, this week or whatever. I think 'borrowing' so largely from the real world shows a lack of imagination and effort. There's a difference between coming up with a cracking story line and just watching the news and thinking "Hey, I bet i can get this into my show somehow!" I think that's rather disrespectful to the audience.

But still, it was good, just shit when compared to the rest of the programme.
Unread 29 Oct 2006, 02:11   #6
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I've just watched Collaborators, and while not as good as Exodus 2 in my opinion, I'm pleased it seems to be continuing the original premise of the show.

Regardless of whether we agree with some of the directions the plot has taken, BSG is still years ahead of other sci-fi shows when it comes to depth of plot.
Unread 29 Oct 2006, 06:36   #7
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: [spoilers] Who's been watching BSG S3?

Season 3 is pretty good so far (I'm through Collaborators).

I'm glad they killed off Tigh's wife. I never liked her much anyway, but more importantly a series with armed conflict needs casualties (red shirts and downloadable Cylons obviously don't count).

I thought they would have dragged out the rescue over a couple more episodes. I would have liked to have seen more of the Cylons in charge. If they come up with something better, though, I may forgive them.

I was a bit surprised to see them cash in Pegasus so quickly--I thought they'd hang onto her for a lot longer just to give the story a bit more plausibility--having one antique battlestar fighting off bazillions of Cylons was getting a bit silly (pre-Pegasus) and could get silly again pretty quickly (wasn't Galactica almost destroyed... again!?).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apothos
Not ignoring that at all, but if i wanted political commentary i'd watch newsnight, the politics show, this week or whatever. I think 'borrowing' so largely from the real world shows a lack of imagination and effort. There's a difference between coming up with a cracking story line and just watching the news and thinking "Hey, I bet i can get this into my show somehow!" I think that's rather disrespectful to the audience.
Maybe they could rename it to Battlestar Iraqtica.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Oct 2006, 02:06   #8
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
I think you just sound ignorant here. One of the main reasons for Science Fiction is the reflect our own world back at us in a different light.
Another reason for science fiction is escapism or perhaps just plain old entertainment. I fail to see how offering my opinion that it was unoriginal and/or lazy would make me ignorant, infact would it not be you who were ignorant for considering other people's points of view invalid when put against your own?
I have explained why i think it was rubbish compared to the rest of the programme, so rather than covertly insult people, perhaps you could try and see that your opinion is not the only one with merit.