User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 2 Dec 2002, 21:08   #51
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle28uk
Well as it seems Iniluki's disappeared I've got another for you...

My brothers and sisters they number not one, yet that boy's father is my own fathers son.

Who is that boy?
Eh.

He's your son.
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Dec 2002, 21:17   #52
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
As there's not one 'on the go' at the minute i'll post one i remember from when me, jenny, thefather et al did this 'back in the day' ;p

It's 10 o'clock at night. A man sets his alarm clock for eleven in the morning, winds it up and goes to sleep.

How many hours till he is woken by the alarm clock?
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Dec 2002, 21:20   #53
Grimble
Banned

Grimble is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Ragnarak
How many hours till he is woken by the alarm clock?
Unless it's some weird 24 hour wind-up clock that I've never seen, I'd say 1 hour
Grimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Dec 2002, 21:21   #54
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by Grimble
Unless it's some weird 24 hour wind-up clock that I've never seen, I'd say 1 hour
your go

(i never said it was a hard one, was only one i could remember the exact wording to tho ;p)
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Dec 2002, 21:23   #55
Grimble
Banned

You have 12 coins that are identical in appearance, but one is slightly different from the others in weight. You do not know which one is different or whether it is heavier or lighter. You have the use of some scales to compare the weights of any two (groups of) coins. You may only use the scales three times, and you must establish which coin is different and how it is different.

(You can not use anything but the scales to establish which coin is different)
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 00:58   #56
JBOY
Retired

JBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to all
elimination process.

number the coins 1-12

weigh 1234 against 5678

if they balance you'll know that its either 9 10 11 or 12.

so weigh 9,10,11 against 1,2,3
this'll either show that its coin 12, or that its 9,10 or 11, noting whether the odd coin is heavier or lighter.

if they dont balance, weigh 9 against 10, and if they balance its 11, if they don't, then having seen that the soin was lighter/heavier coin earlier you can then see which of the two it is.

note which of 1234, 5678 was lighter
Take coins 1,5,6 and 7 and weigh against coins 8,9,10 and 11.
If coins 1,5,6,7 go in the same direction as coins 1-4 in the previous weighing, the counterfeit is coin 1 or coin 8. In that case, weigh coin 1 against coin 12. If they balance, the counterfeit coin is coin 8, otherwise the counterfeit is coin 1.

If coins 1,5,6,7 tip the scale in the opposite direction as coins 1-4 did earlier, this eliminates coins 1,2,3,4,8,9,10,11 and 12. The counterfeit is coin 5,6 or 7.

Weigh coin 5 against coin 6.

If they balance, Coin 7 is the counterfeit. Otherwise, the counterfeit coin is the one that tips the scale in the same direction as the coins 1,5,6,7 tipped in the prior weighing.

If coins 1,5,6,7 balance with coins 8,9,10,11, balance coins 2 and 3.

If they balance, the dud is coin 4. Otherwise the coin which tips the scale in the same direction coins (1-4) did in the first weighing, is dud.

sounds a bit confusing, makes sense in me head. each elimination stage only takes three weighings

[edit] missed a line out the explanation, included it now so it makes sense
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 01:10   #57
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by Vermillion
Damn! Never thought of that one, it works as well.
The answer I knew was:

"If I ask the other guy which door leads to eternal happiness, what will he say?"
Both will point towards the evil door, you take the opposite one.

Cool, so now there are two answers to this one.
Any answer which doubles the negative or combines them will yield the truth, there are multiple ways of doing this. If v can be -1 or 1, both v^2, v-v v*-v etc will yield a known quantity.
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 01:23   #58
Grimble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by JBOY
elimination process.

sounds a bit confusing, makes sense in me head. each elimination stage only takes three weighings[/i]
I can't find anything wrong with it, well done

on with the riddles
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 01:31   #59
JBOY
Retired

JBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to all
A boy was at a fair and went to a stall where a 'travelling tradesman' (pikey gypsy etc etc) did make much grand showings of a grand and powerful power, the young chappy, who we'll call nodrog decided in his great cleverness to take up the mans challenge. The pikey explained the challenge to the surrounding crowd of astonished passers by, astonished that the young student laddy actually had money and was spending it on things other than buckfast so the pikey did speak: "Young and smug looking english laddy, my powers of perception and divine inspiration are great in this celtic surrounding, if, without the use of modern instrumentation, scales, weights, lifting, carrying, or any other means other than the gift of vision, i can write down your exact weight on this here provided peice of paper, a simple a4 ruled affair, provided by the fine woolworths company at discount of five fingers etc etc, the you shall pay me the paltry sum of £20, if for some unknown reason, the gods do not smile favourably upon poor me, and i guess wrongly, and fail in the task i have explained, then i will pay you the grand some of £20"

Young Nodrog, feeling most smug, and preparing to cast into memory a grand tale of outsmarting the pikey scum, to compose a fine tale on some internet bulletin board, see's no scales, weights or the like, he takes two steps out of the stall's curtain, for fear of some unseen infrared masterpeice of creative technology and accepts the man's challenge. After frist lowering the wager to a a tenner, (tight fisted edinburgh types an all)

Poor nodrog finds himself mere moments a tenner down, and rather teary eyed.

how?
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 01:35   #60
Dace

Quote:
Poor nodrog finds himself mere moments a tenner down, and rather teary eyed.

how?

After acertaining that Nodrog had a tenner on his person said Pikey mugged him.

Remember: You can NEVER trust a Pikey.

"I hate them ****in' Pikey's"
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 01:38   #61
JBOY
Retired

pikey chappy won the challenge
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 01:38   #62
Dace

Quote:
"Young and smug looking english laddy, my powers of perception and divine inspiration are great in this celtic surrounding, if, without the use of modern instrumentation, scales, weights, lifting, carrying, or any other means other than the gift of vision, i can write down your exact weight on this here provided peice of paper, a simple a4 ruled affair, provided by the fine woolworths company at discount of five fingers etc etc, the you shall pay me the paltry sum of £20, if for some unknown reason, the gods do not smile favourably upon poor me, and i guess wrongly, and fail in the task i have explained, then i will pay you the grand some of £20"

Alternatively:

The Pikey asks Nod what his weight is and then writes it down on said piece of paper.

The bet wasn't to see if the Pikey could guess Nod's weight it was to see if the Pikey could write it down.
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 01:42   #63
RIT

Quote:
pikey chappy won the challenge
Does this celtic gentlemen pick nodrog up by the balls, and guesses nodrogs correct weight by the volume of nodrogs scream of pain as gravity pulls his body towards the ground?
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 01:43   #64
JBOY
Retired

Quote:
acropolis wrote on 3 Dec 2002 00:39:
does he just write down dozens of weights on the paper, across a big enough range that one of them is sure to be it?

why you didnt just post it, im not sure
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 01:44   #65
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
If the answer is that the pikey wrote down the words "your exact weight", then it is a bad riddle since you said he spoke it without indicating quotation.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 01:48   #66
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
Quote:
why you didnt just post it, im not sure
perhaps because i feel like an arse if i answer a riddle before anyone else gets a chance to look at it?

it was a pretty riddle and entertaining and i didn't want to ruin it:/

What has six faces
But does not wear makeup.
It also has twenty-one eyes,
But cannot see?

Or for the math lovers, you are organizing a tournament for ping pong. there are to be 657 contestants, and in each match that you schedule the loser is out, and the winner proceeds. in the event that a round has an odd number of contestants, someone get a by to the next round. how many matches must you schedule?
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 01:49   #67
JBOY
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by queball
If the answer is that the pikey wrote down the words "your exact weight", then it is a bad riddle since you said he spoke it without indicating quotation.

we have a winner

and if the quotation had stated 'your exact weight' it would have given it away entirely

its a play on words...................
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 01:50   #68
Dace

Quote:
its a play on words...................

I knew that.
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 01:58   #69
Grimble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by acropolis
What has six faces
But does not wear makeup.
It also has twenty-one eyes,
But cannot see?
dice

Quote:
657 contestants
656 matches?
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 02:01   #70
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

Quote:
dice

656 matches?
yes. yes. I was hoping someone would try to write it out:/ Other people's pain makes me happy apparently.
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 02:03   #71
Grimble
Banned

A man was born in 1964 and died in 1984 at the age of 25. How is this possible?
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 02:06   #72
Geeza
Dances With Sheep

Geeza is on a distinguished road
Quote:
A man was born in 1964 and died in 1984 at the age of 25. How is this possible?
Room/aisle/ward number or something
Of godlike hardship tells me I must die
Like a sick eagle looking at the sky.
---
Zak
Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 02:08   #73
Grimble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Geeza
Room/aisle/ward number
WIN
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 02:15   #74
Geeza
Dances With Sheep

Geeza is on a distinguished road
While exploring the wilds of Canada, Wild Man Grimble was captured by hostile Canadian fairies. Christoper Cannuck, the powerful chief of the fairies told him he could make one final statement which would determine how he would die. If the statement he made was false, he would be boiled in water. If the statement were true, he would be fried in oil. Wild Man Grimble found neither of these options too his liking, so he made a statement that got him out of this seemingly impossible situation. What is the statement he could have made?
Of godlike hardship tells me I must die
Like a sick eagle looking at the sky.
---
Zak
Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 02:17   #75
JBOY
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Geeza
While exploring the wilds of Canada, Wild Man Grimble was captured by hostile Canadian fairies. Christoper Cannuck, the powerful chief of the fairies told him he could make one final statement which would determine how he would die. If the statement he made was false, he would be boiled in water. If the statement were true, he would be fried in oil. Wild Man Grimble found neither of these options too his liking, so he made a statement that got him out of this seemingly impossible situation. What is the statement he could have made?
you will boil me in water
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 02:34   #76
Grimble
Banned

That's not a knife, this is a knife you ****ing fairy*

*or the obvious answer jobby allready posted
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 02:36   #77
JBOY
Retired

A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, the second is full of assassins with loaded guns, and the third is full of lions that haven't eaten in 3 years. Which room is safest for him?
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 02:37   #78
Grimble
Banned

The one with the dead lions
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 02:39   #79
Grimble
Banned

More old ones

There is a building with no windows. At the bottom floor, there are three switches. Only one of them turns on the light on the second floor. With only one trip upstairs, which combination of lightswitches do you flip to be sure which one turns on the light?
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 02:47   #80
JBOY
Retired

turn on a switch, leave it for 5 minutes, turn it off, flick on another switch an run upstairs

if the light is on its the second switch, if the light is off and its hot its the first one
if the light is off and its cold its the third one.
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 02:58   #81
Grimble
Banned

We have a winner
We have a winner
Juice by JBOY
Juice by JBOY
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 03:07   #82
Zither
Alcoholic

Zither is an unknown quantity at this point
If i may be so bold as to post.
A man has to drive into work, he has an hour to drive the 60 miles into work. However due to trafic problems he travels half the requiered distance at half the requiered speed.
What speed must he now travel to get to work ontime ?

<Ahriman> i didn't know they were shemales until i f*cked them...

If you can't win an argument without using insults you have lost the argument already
Zither is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 03:11   #83
Grimble
Banned

I might be reading it wrong, it's 3am and I have no clue why i'm up posting

The speed of light?
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 03:12   #84
JBOY
Retired

you get to post one when you answer one correctly

and i got the last one right, so, i leave this before i nip off to bed.

One night 4 men sat down to play.
They played all night 'till break of day.
They played for gold and not for fun
With separate scores for everyone.
Can you the paradox explain,
If no one lost, how could all gain?
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 03:15   #85
JBOY
Retired

120mph

instant ban for being over 110mph in the uk, WOULD HE RISK HIS LICENCE FOR BEING LATE?
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 03:16   #86
W
Gubbish

Quote:
you get to post one when you answer one correctly

and i got the last one right, so, i leave this before i nip off to bed.

One night 4 men sat down to play.
They played all night 'till break of day.
They played for gold and not for fun
With separate scores for everyone.
Can you the paradox explain,
If no one lost, how could all gain?
They're bankers, giving out _very_ shortterm loans of gold?

They're gold miners working the night shift?
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 03:17   #87
W
Gubbish

Quote:
Originally posted by Zither
A man has to drive into work, he has an hour to drive the 60 miles into work. However due to trafic problems he travels half the requiered distance at half the requiered speed.
He can't possibly make it, as he's halfway, and should already be there.
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 03:20   #88
JBOY
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by W
They're bankers, giving out _very_ shortterm loans of gold?

They're gold miners working the night shift?
not eve close to being right
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 03:23   #89
Grimble
Banned

They were musicians
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 03:24   #90
JBOY
Retired

Quote:
They were musicians
winner

and on that note, im off to bed.
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 03:27   #91
Lakhim
Official Annoyance

Lakhim is on a distinguished road
Heres one you all should have heard of

A man was found dead, in the middle of a burnt down forest wearing scuba gear. There are no lakes for miles. Why was he wearing a divers suit?
Lakhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 03:28   #92
Grimble
Banned

Man Scuba Diving -> Helicopter with watertank gets diver along with water -> Man crashes into forest -> profit
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 03:30   #93
Lakhim
Official Annoyance

Lakhim is on a distinguished road
Winner!
Lakhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 03:37   #94
W
Gubbish

I live in rivers lakes and oceans, I'm faster than any fish, what am I?
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 03:53   #95
Ragrrr
heh

Ragrrr is an unknown quantity at this point
Old one:

You're standing on one side of a lake, with you you've got
1 wolf
1 sheep
1 carrot
1 boat

If left alone the wolf will eat the sheep, and the sheep will eat the carrot.
There's only room enough for yourself, and one more thing in the boat. How do you get them all across without anything ending up as food?
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 03:58   #96
Grimble
Banned

1. Row Sheep over
2. Row Back
3. Row Wolf Over
4. Row Sheep Back
5. Row Carrot Over
6. Row Back
7. Row Sheep Over
8. Drink
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 06:46   #97
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Why did people refer to Vincent Van Gogh as being a "Dutch" painter?
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 07:33   #98
Grimble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Nodrog
Why did people refer to Vincent Van Gogh as being a "Dutch" painter?
Didn't you post this one last time as well?
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 07:44   #99
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Didn't you post this one last time as well?
reducks
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 07:56   #100
Demon1411

Quote:
Originally posted by Zither
Wouldn´t he have to drive 60 miles/hour?

If he travels half the distance (30 miles) in half the time (30 minutes), he has 30 miles and 30 minutes left, and can make it by driving 60 miles/hour.