User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 17 Sep 2004, 14:39   #1
Ninja_spammer
Freedom Fanatic

Ninja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud of
Curious problem with a USB ADSL modem

I recently upgraded to broadband and as part of my service providers package I recieved a free sagem fast 800 e2 external USB modem. Now everything was running smooth and fine until about 3 or 4 days ago when it started cutting off, mainly during large downloads.

There appear to be no software or driver faults and I only have 2 things running out of the USB ports, the modem and a microsoft optical mouse. However when I picked up the modem to see if any cables had came loose at the modems end (the USB leads into the PC were secure and dandy) I noticed that the casing of the modem was really hot, not meltingly so but hot enough to alarm me as i understand USB devices to be low power and thus not big heat makers. Now is this a common fault with ADSL modems (I imagine not since that'd make them useless as 24h connections) or is it more likely a fault with my specific modem (or the brand) and I should seek to replace it asap?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Oh and incase anyone recommends tech support they only told me to reboot my pc.....which is a bit of a crap solution to a problem with something I want to run 24 hours/through the night when I sleep. They also couldnt give any good reason as to why it happens.
Unread 17 Sep 2004, 14:41   #2
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Curious problem with a USB ADSL modem

its a power issue.
most USB adsl modules try and draw more power than the motherboards can supply.

external powered hub -might- or might not fix it.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 17 Sep 2004, 15:49   #3
Ninja_spammer
Freedom Fanatic

Ninja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud of

Thank you very much NB3, I was looking at an external hub the other day for other reasons, might purchase it early.

Last edited by Ninja_spammer; 17 Sep 2004 at 15:51. Reason: spelling
Ninja_spammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Sep 2004, 16:20   #4
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

np.

its a bit daft, 99% of adsl isp's supply these things, and they've known for -years- they are dodgy.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 17 Sep 2004, 17:35   #5
Ninja_spammer
Freedom Fanatic

yes well it did take tiscali 3 weeks to manage to find someone willing to deliver out to the frozen northern wastelands of Oban so Im not surprised they forgot something like.

Oh well the local hardware guy is going to be *very* pleased to see me now

thanks again.
Unread 17 Sep 2004, 17:38   #6
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

the USB modem (Speedtouch 330) that came with my broadband package got fairly hot, I'm not too certain if it is at fault though because I put it at the back of my computer where it gets fairly hot. The manual stated it draws about 0.44mA from the USB port, AFAIK mobo USB ports supply at most 0.5mA. My modem functioned fine though, apart from random bizarre "Windows can not find suitable drivers for this device" warning messages, in which case I needed to reinstall the drivers and delete the connection settings, then try again and it would work...

I'm using a router now, and that does get fairly warm, I just rest a CPU heatsink on top (lol), and have another spare to swap when that gets warm.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote