User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 11 Mar 2004, 18:25   #1
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Memory (oh woe is me)

Okey doke. ive had 512meg DDR pc2700 Ram lying about that i thought was unusable.

Due to my sheer lazyness however i did not send it back to scan within the 30 day period. (this memory was a replacement sent for other memory i returned JUST within the 12 month period)

So they informed me i couldnt get it replaced and that they could only offer some technical support on how to fix it.

Now.........

When i first installed the new memory and ran it alongside the current 512meg PC2700 RAm installed in the machine everything was hunky dorey. However when i ran GTA : VC windows would crash to the BSOD with a memory error.
Then after thinking 'maybe its just VC' i began running other more memory intensive programs and sure enough it would crash to BSOD.

So following the advice from Scan they told me that it could eb the memory timings when both modules were installed.

So i took out the current 512meg (that works) and put in the module that doesnt.
After some playing around with the speed and timings (i had to crank it up to 166mhz from 133(which is synced with the cpu)) it managed to boot into windows.

However no sooner had the desktop become useable it crashed to BSOD.

The following error :

Windows has blah blah blah blah blah lots of bollocks and shit written here :

STOP : 0x00000008E (0xC0000005, 0x805BCDBE, 0xEC11FBBC, 0x00000000)

Dumping physical memory to Hard Disk : (a little timer counting up )

So ladies and gents.

I originaly ran memtest86 on the memory and it didnt show any errors.
I could run it again but now im fearful of reinstaling the crap memory because upon turning the pc off and putting back in my good memory the pc refused to even show up the bios loading on the monitor. After a few brief moments of abject panic and the removal and reinstallation of the memory it decided to be a good boy and boot.....

SO

your opinions or suggestions....If you have any questions ask..

Cheers in advance.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Mar 2004, 19:01   #2
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Memory (oh woe is me)

Introduce the faulty memory stick to the garbage bin?
Unread 11 Mar 2004, 19:02   #3
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Memory (oh woe is me)

Or give it to someone you don't like much.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Mar 2004, 09:30   #4
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactitus
Or give it to someone you don't like much.
I vote this.

If the stick is duff, then its duff.

However, do you know the exact timings on the "duff" ram, cos the rated timings might be set higher (looser) then your current mobo settings causing it to keep crashing.

posting the serial number on the actual chip wouldn't hurt either
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Mar 2004, 12:09   #5
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

i know the feeling. one of my 2*256 sdr sticks is faultyish. memtest86 at least claims it is. windows has the occasional wobby but doesnt force a reboot for me. just crashes some programs. which is... irritating half the time when you`re in the middle of something
actually had a rather amusing case of it "eating" the start menu and only the first 5 items appeared browing to the relevent folder in explorer, crashed it. it restarted itself and the whole start menu was there again. still the sooner i can get me some new ram the better
Unread 14 Mar 2004, 03:31   #6
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

There's nothing you can do JJ - tbh I'm amazed speeding it UP made it more stable but there you go.
As for the other brief isue, I suspect the good memory probably didn't boot cos you either didn't install it correctly the first time, or the timings were messed up.

Anyway you got 2 options
1) Go to the website of whoever MAKES the memory (ie. www.crucial.com or whatever) and RMA it if it's still under warranty period - they won't know (and won't care) that it came as a replacement from scan, it's just dodgy ram so far as they know.
2) Roll with the afformentioned chuck in dustbin/give to someone you don't like/chuck in the dustbin of someone you don't like kinda suggestion.
Unread 14 Mar 2004, 10:19   #7
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

it has

'Treme Technology' on it :/
Unread 14 Mar 2004, 10:20   #8
JammyJim
Godfather

actually its xtreme.....heh
Unread 14 Mar 2004, 10:22   #9
JammyJim
Godfather

http://www.xtreme-technology.com/sto...&cat=25&page=1

it doesnt seem like the manafacturer site tbh