User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 30 Jun 2005, 08:54   #1
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend
One thinks one has ****ed up. [eBay]

This thread is aimed at people who sell things on ebay. If you don't, please look away now. OK. So I'm selling my valuables on ebay to gain cash for the more essential things in life.

One day someone purchased an item via credit card. I wasn't aware I was accepting credit cards up until this point, but it seems that the details had escaped me, anyway I've disables that option now. So, back to the story. I had to upgrade my PayPal account to accept credit cards. This means that any items bought via credit card incur a small charge.

My questions to you dear readers:

a) Will this charge apply to all items sold, even those not sold via credit cards?
b) I recently got a email saying a direct debit has been set-up. I'm taking, and hoping this means, just that they'll take the charge out of my bank account when I sell something, not a monthly charge. Am I right?

The information on paypal is far too obfuscated.

Thank you people.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jun 2005, 09:21   #2
Obliterate
:cool:

Obliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant future
Re: One thinks one has ****ed up. [eBay]

When someone pays you via paypal, paypal get a percentage (i think it's about 6%) of the total amount paid, no matter if it's sold via credit card or not. Obviously if you're not happy with this then the best option is to not accept payments by paypal. The annoying thing about that is the whole selling process then drags on for longer while you wait for the buyer to send a cheque, wait for it to show up in your account etc.. etc..

The direct debit thing is for the eBay charges, which should be no more than a few quid depending on how many items you're selling, how much they sell for and any extra options you choose to use when putting up your item for auction. There are no monthly charges, I was worried about the same thing when I first started selling things.
Unread 30 Jun 2005, 09:28   #3
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

Strange.

In my paypal page it doesn't seem to have taken any money away from my earnings. I was wondering where paypal make their money.

As long as there is no monthly charge I'm resonable happy. At least using ebay I don't have to pay Amazon 15%. Also, I'm getting a lot more for my goods on ebay than I would selling in this here city.
Unread 30 Jun 2005, 09:39   #4
Obliterate
:cool:

Obliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant future

If you click on the "History" tab in your paypal account you should be able to see a list of all your recent transactions. If you click on one of them you should see something like this:

Total Amount: £71.50 GBP
Fee Amount: -£2.63 GBP
Net Amount: £68.87 GBP

The "Fee Amount" is the money which paypal takes out. Looks like it's actually 3.4% + 20p.
Unread 30 Jun 2005, 10:30   #5
Weeks
Banned

I have £0.00 in the fee part, except in the one where he paid via credit card where there is £0.37. Maybe it's because all the transactions have been under £10. There's one for £80 coming up so maybe they'll charge me a fee on that one.
Unread 30 Jun 2005, 14:27   #6
madi
a little bit broken

madi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better place

http://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/web...y-fees-outside
you will now be charged to receive payments
Unread 30 Jun 2005, 15:10   #7
Weeks
Banned

Ah cheers, I've asked them to downgrade me now.

On another note, I'm going to change my debit-card details, i.e. get a new one, after all this. Half the internet has my details.