User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 26 Jan 2005, 19:40   #1
Obliterate
:cool:

Obliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant future
Audiobooks

I'm going to be driving up to Cumbria in a couple of weeks, a journey which will take me around 5 hours. I thought it would be a good idea to download an audiobook, put it on my iPod and listen to it on the way - to pass the time maybe. I've been browsing the audiobooks on the iTunes music store and I found one by Michael Crichton which I reckon could be quite good (as I enjoyed one of his other books). The narrator is American (and slightly annoying) but I think I can live with that.

The thing I was wondering is whether I should get the abridged or unabridged version. How much do they usually cut out of an "abridged" book? I'm tempted to go for the unabridged version, seeing as it costs only £12.95 (compared to £21.95 for the unabrigded).

Has anyone ever bought audiobooks before? If so what do you think?
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 19:42   #2
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Audiobooks

They generally cut out a fair amount.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 19:43   #3
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

If you have money, consider checking out The Teaching Company.

http://www.teach12.com/
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 19:44   #4
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

get the unabridged

i work in a library and we carry a large stock of audiobooks

unabridged for a normal hardback, around 9 cassettes (yes we still have tapes fs)
abridged edition of the same hardback generally 2 tapes

they really do butcher the books
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 19:57   #5
Obliterate

Obliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner_0
get the unabridged

i work in a library and we carry a large stock of audiobooks

unabridged for a normal hardback, around 9 cassettes (yes we still have tapes fs)
abridged edition of the same hardback generally 2 tapes

they really do butcher the books
Thanks. I've just seen that the unabridged version lasts around 18 hours, compared to just 7 hours for the abridged. I guess they really do cut out a lot :-/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
If you have money, consider checking out The Teaching Company.

http://www.teach12.com/
I had considered buying some educational tapes or something. Although some of their courses do look interesting, unfortunately I don't really have enough money to spend on them atm. Maybe one day though!
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 20:38   #6
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Where are you going in the Lake District mate?
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 20:45   #7
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: Audiobooks

If you come into Cumbria, then we'll intercept you.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 20:47   #8
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

If you come to cumbria, bring a tumble dryer. Our insurance company are being tossers atm

~Vaio~

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 20:55   #9
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

I use book2ipod for transfering text files to my ipod. I read 'Odd Thomas' that way. But if your driving it's out of the question.

If you're interesting in learning a new language I recommend the audiotapes by Michel Thomas. He's done German (as he's German), French, Italian, Spanish and probably others. He concentrates on getting the grammar in your head in a really unique way, which is a pleasure to learn. But you really need to pause every so oftern during the mp3 to think about your answer.

Other than that try http://www.apple.com/itunes/store/books/ .
There was an other company who did audiobooks for ipods, but i forget the name now.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 21:15   #10
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Why don't you just get some audio tapes or CDs out of the library, copy them, and return them?

(is that illegal?)
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 21:29   #11
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
(is that illegal?)
Exclusive:

Pope says he is "Personally in favour of Catholicism" - growing calls for resignation, page 2.

Bush 'may not be world's most eloquent orator' - page 7.

Special report - Bears defecating in wooded areas - is it becoming an environmental concern? - see page 36.
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 01:36   #12
Obliterate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Where are you going in the Lake District mate?
I'm going to see a friend in Appleby. Vaio might have heard of it I guess - it's on the Leeds - Carlisle train line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
If you come into Cumbria, then we'll intercept you.
I've been there before without getting "intercepted" (although the A66 is a horrible road when it's windy), but I suspect that's not the sort of thing you meant :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeks
I use book2ipod for transfering text files to my ipod. I read 'Odd Thomas' that way. But if your driving it's out of the question.

If you're interesting in learning a new language I recommend the audiotapes by Michel Thomas. He's done German (as he's German), French, Italian, Spanish and probably others. He concentrates on getting the grammar in your head in a really unique way, which is a pleasure to learn. But you really need to pause every so oftern during the mp3 to think about your answer.

Other than that try http://www.apple.com/itunes/store/books/ .
There was an other company who did audiobooks for ipods, but i forget the name now.
I'm already learning french and german at A-Level so I don't really need a new language for now - I've always been intruiged as to whether those language tapes actually help though. Thanks for the link - i've been browsing the audiobooks using iTunes, unfortunately it's really just a long list of authors so browsing isn't easy - I've been tending to search for books on amazon then see if they've been converted to audiobook instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
Why don't you just get some audio tapes or CDs out of the library, copy them, and return them?
I could do that I suppose, I hadn't considered that before - and would save me £12 - I doubt they'd have the book I want in the library yet though as it was only published this year. I'm not sure if it's illegal or not, although I'm really not too bothered if it is :P
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 01:39   #13
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obliterate
I've been there before without getting "intercepted" (although the A66 is a horrible road when it's windy), but I suspect that's not the sort of thing you meant :/
Well, we didn't know you were coming then. Now we can close the roads and ask people to report anyone acting southern.