User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 17 Nov 2005, 22:13   #1
Cyno01

Cyno01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Rss?

Just a though of implementing some sort of browser independent features that could be a utilized by a taskbar thing, or something like a konfabulator or trillian plugin. No control abilities of course, but maybe construction/research completion notifications?
Cyno01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Nov 2005, 20:37   #2
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: Rss?

This appears to be a suggestion for planetarion. Moved.
Unread 19 Nov 2005, 21:00   #3
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Shyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud of

Kloopy said never say never, its another fairly small time consuming addition however.

Obviously its only appropriate for cons/res notifications and not incs.
Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Nov 2005, 21:14   #4
Ron7684
Eat My Roids

Ron7684 can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyne
Kloopy said never say never, its another fairly small time consuming addition however.

Obviously its only appropriate for cons/res notifications and not incs.
although, most people should know when their Con/Res finish, so its only use would be incs. If it doesnt report incs, id rather save my screen space
Unread 19 Nov 2005, 22:37   #5
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Shyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud of

Do you know what rss is ron? Its nothing displayed in the game and doesnt waste screen space. Its an xml file that an application can check and if new entries are there it will display them.

People use them to monitor news sites and blogs most commonly, for new material.
Unread 19 Nov 2005, 22:46   #6
Ron7684
Eat My Roids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyno01
utilized by a taskbar thing
Screen space in my browser, precious screeeeen.....

Edit: To clarify, i know what it is, it wouldnt be a thing on hte PA site as thats pointless. It appears to be suggested as a browser toolbar integration
Unread 19 Nov 2005, 22:47   #7
Ron7684
Eat My Roids

Maybe a background program would work? Runs as a process and can pop up once in a while with the "You've got incs and/or mail"
Unread 19 Nov 2005, 23:07   #8
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Any type of application can monitor an rss feed.
Unread 20 Nov 2005, 04:58   #9
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I have to say that i am nearly as computer illiterate as a young person can be in this era. I dont know what RSS is, though i gather from what you are saying that it is something that permits an application to announce an alert to tell you that a research or construction is complete.

My thoughts are as follows:
1) This already exists in the form of the News icon which is bolded and glows red when something happens to your planet (namely, the completion of research or a construction).
2) If it is external to the game, it would probably the covered under the EULA;
Quote:
Originally Posted by EULA
18.3. Bots
Bots are not permitted to be used to access the game. Bot use is defined as, but not limited to:
(a) Using browser plug-ins that would make it easier for you to play the game
(b) Accessing the pages with another program (for example to check if you are under attack) ¿ see section 8.
Thus, if it is external to the game itself (such as an optionally downloadable Toolbar or somesuch), it would be in breach of both of those clauses.

So, it seems that it isnt really overly helpful, nor is it legal. What was the point?
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Nov 2005, 05:34   #10
Ron7684
Eat My Roids

well apparently it would be sn in-game RSS feed. Much like the botfiles. Sites like pilkara access the botfiles hourly and it helps us play the game better. So if you use the same reasoning, pilkara, sandmans, etc. would become illegal.

As for #1. It doenst have to be a browser plugin. it can be a background program
Unread 20 Nov 2005, 11:44   #11
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

You can use authentication on rss feeds
Unread 21 Nov 2005, 11:49   #12
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
I have to say that i am nearly as computer illiterate as a young person can be in this era. I dont know what RSS is, though i gather from what you are saying that it is something that permits an application to announce an alert to tell you that a research or construction is complete.

My thoughts are as follows:
1) This already exists in the form of the News icon which is bolded and glows red when something happens to your planet (namely, the completion of research or a construction).
2) If it is external to the game, it would probably the covered under the EULA;

Thus, if it is external to the game itself (such as an optionally downloadable Toolbar or somesuch), it would be in breach of both of those clauses.

So, it seems that it isnt really overly helpful, nor is it legal. What was the point?
Both Opera and Firefox have built in functionality for reading RSS (and Atom, not too sure though), and its a one way only communication. Its like reading a news paper.

Having said that, you have to set the interval for accessing the RSS feed (as it checks the XML file for changes), this could increase load on the servers, but not as much as refreshing the overview every minute (images, documents etc).

Perhaps this feature is only accessable when the user is not logged in (and perhaps paid only accounts).

There are other features in the game that could use it, such as galaxy forum, messages, incoming/outgoing, alliance news.

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2005, 12:19   #13
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I like the idea of using it for things like galaxy forum / messages / alliance information for paid planets
Unread 21 Nov 2005, 19:39   #14
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

I thought it was an excellent idea. Im fairly sure while the authentication is basic, it can be used to identify a player.

The monitoring of forum and other info is a great idea indeed.