User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 14 Sep 2005, 00:53   #1
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
"It's cheaper than a blog" *shrug*

This post is long and boring and is about my work life so if you don't give a **** please turn away

now.

I suppose following on from this thread:

See bottom of the page for "background info" about my place of work.

Two EO's at work seperately took me aside today and informed me that one of their number (who was made EO about a year ago) has decided that she doesn't like it and wants to drop back to PO3 again (effective the end of the month).

This was on the hush hush (nobody else on the shift bar the EO's/HEO knows etc).

Both of them told me that i should apply for the job.

10 months ago i was a PO1 (lowest of the low).

Now i'm being told to go for a (low) management job.

Personally i feel kinda funny about it because to my mind the better more experience examiners should be the ones who get to be EO after a year or two of subbing up *shrug*

The thing is that due to various "factors" about half the shift is new and even tho there are more experienced examiners around they tend to be those who either don't want to be an EO or are too daft to actually be one.

The fact that ive got a degree (which seems to be a BIG BIG thing in the office ... people with even ordinary degree's have been promoted quickly - i'm aware that relatively a degree aint a big thing), that the short time ive been an examiner has been spent on the 2-10 shift (where i've been the one in the section dealing with all the shittiest of the shit stuff that needs to be dealt with urgently on behalf of the shift), and that my boss keeps on sending me as the Evening shift rep to various meetings/courses etc all works in my favour in being thought of for the position i suppose.

Even if i don't get the job i reckon i'll be at least deputising as an EO soon as the shift proper ends at the end of September (we had the option of staying on the full year which most people took) so it's not so much a choice of whether i want the job (i do) or not - i'll be EOing in some capacity someplace i reckon soon enough.

Hmmmm, just thinking out loud with the stuff so far most likely.

Anyways what i suppose this thread is about is:

"Has anyone else here been in a job where they started off in a lower "rank" and ended up in a superior position before other more "experienced" co-workers?"

"How did they deal with it (co-worker's reactions etc)?"

Advise away ...

BACKGROUND INFO

HEO - Shift Manager
EO - Team Leader
PO3 - Level 2 examiner
PO2 - Level 1 examiner
PO1 - Administrative Assistant

HEO - Off on long term sick (just had a heart triple bypass not gonna be back this year/might early retire)

3A EO - *shrug*
3B EO - Wil be resigning at the end of the month (back to PO3) not staying on past September this year
3C EO - Currently subbing up as HEO (dayshift depute EO is in this position till end of year)
3D EO - *shurg*
3F EO - *shurg*

3A D/EO - *shrug*
3B D/EO - Off on long term sick (maybe back in the next couple of weeks)
3C D/EO - Subs up alot but not staying on past September
3D D/EO - 2 part timers share this job (one of whom is 4/5 months pregnant)
3F D/EO - Subs up alot (might not be staying on past the end of September)
Unread 14 Sep 2005, 01:05   #2
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: "It's cheaper than a blog" *shrug*

go for it.
Unread 14 Sep 2005, 01:09   #3
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

I would ask myself why others who are EO doesnt want to anymore..
And why is there such problems with the leadership?
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Sep 2005, 01:18   #4
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov
I would ask myself why others who are EO doesnt want to anymore..
And why is there such problems with the leadership?

Although not stated i suspect her reasons are:

- She's got a family

- She's doing an HND course during the day atm

- Her computer skills are "poor" so writing reports etc takes her forever

- She was an examiner for approx 8 years so just examining is a breeze for her

Leadership problems wise ...

For one the evening shift has a reasonably high turn over of staff.

- The smart/good folk that are on it tend to be on it short term whilst they're after a better job.

- The bog standard Civil Servent types tend to want to transfer to day shift at the first opportunity.

For two the general long term evening shift worker also tends to be working the job for extra money and because they have the stress of a job during the day they dont want extra stress of being boss at night etc.

I'm something of an anomaly (to be honest i saw the turn over rates on the evening shift and figured what with it being a tighter team i'd get promoted faster by staying there ... seems to have gone the way i guessed etc).
Unread 14 Sep 2005, 01:35   #5
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

Go for it, is there much more money involved?
Unread 14 Sep 2005, 01:49   #6
Dace
so f*cking zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampire_lestat
Go for it, is there much more money involved?

20% pay jump or so.
Unread 14 Sep 2005, 01:51   #7
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

Enough to cover your gambling habits/help you go pro?
Unread 14 Sep 2005, 01:51   #8
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

the improvement to your mental well being that a more challenging role would represent is worth more than gold or bags of silver.
Unread 14 Sep 2005, 01:52   #9
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

You can create a blog for free. Try https://www.livejournal.com/create.bml.
Unread 14 Sep 2005, 01:58   #10
Dace
so f*cking zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by queball
You can create a blog for free. Try https://www.livejournal.com/create.bml.

orly?
Unread 14 Sep 2005, 02:01   #11
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

A dace blog could be highly amusing.
Unread 14 Sep 2005, 02:26   #12
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

Only if he starts to date Kat again.
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Sep 2005, 07:23   #13
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov
Only if he starts to date Kat again.
there is an important word in this sentence, that makes the entire post false

i wonder if you can spot it

i'll give you a clue

it starts with a and ends in n
Unread 14 Sep 2005, 08:24   #14
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Presumably your work only employ / promote on merit, so if you get the job it's because you were better / more suited than them.

If they promote for other reasons (favouritism, etc) then your colleagues have every right to complain but not to/about you.

And in answer to your question, yeah I've been promoted ahead of other people, but they generally didn't seem to mind.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Sep 2005, 08:28   #15
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

In this job I've found I have the authority to give people orders even though I've only been here a couple of weeks.
I'm not going to be a full manager for 2 years though, but then I'll probably get a project manager position...

Go for it Pete!

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Sep 2005, 12:38   #16
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dace
"Has anyone else here been in a job where they started off in a lower "rank" and ended up in a superior position before other more "experienced" co-workers?"

"How did they deal with it (co-worker's reactions etc)?"
Yes.

They were happy at the beginning but after a while (1-2 months) they started to hate me as much as the rest that I work with. They think I'm giving them grief when, really, they're making the place a shithole.

Moral is:

You don't know what the person above you goes through until you become one of them.
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Sep 2005, 12:42   #17
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

yes, you should go for it. Aim high

also, i hope you realised that posting this bastardised my lovely looking post count
Unread 14 Sep 2005, 12:45   #18
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepflow
yes, you should go for it. Aim high

also, i hope you realised that posting this bastardised my lovely looking post count
you could always delete an old post...

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Sep 2005, 12:52   #19
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
you could always delete an old post...
Cheat.
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote