User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 1 Aug 2005, 19:43   #1
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
What if i dont want any of it?

I'm not sure what i'm typing, nor do i have a point, so **** off now if you're looking for anything other than a rant.

What on earth are you supposed to do if you dont want any of it? If You dont want a McLife? Dont want to spend your weekends in seedy clubs, paying over the odds for watered down drink. You dont want to spend your entire year saving up to go on holiday for 2 weeks either in some sunny resort "on the pull" - or in some ways even worse, holding some arrogant view that unless you "see the world" and tick countries off an invisible list of "places you must see". Great, youve been to India, or America, or the moon, and i havent. I dont want that. What if you dont want to spend your entire life trying to get on to the "property ladder" and base your success on that, and your life on success? What if watching someone report on the stock market "bravely battling on through a mini crash" during the London bombings sickens you to the core? What if you dont have any interest in fashion, or even looking like you know what colour of t shirt you pulled on in the morning? What if you dont give a shit for how other people react to how you appear? How about if you're sick to your back teeth of an unbelievable overemphasis on sport being forced down your throat with "community spirit" overtones? What if you find yourself with no interest in either sex at all? What if you find yourself caring so little about "relationships" that the only thing that bothers you is coming up with fresh excuses as to why you "Havent pulled recently". The fact that i've never once had an inclination in my life to go somewhere and meet someone may have a slight something to do with it perhaps, but thats not quite the way of things. What if you find yourself angry every time you turn the TV on, at beauty products, substandard insurance policies being thrown at people who dont know better. McDonalds, McDonalds, McDonalds. Somehow the misconception that McDonalds make tasty burgers has penetrated the entire world. What if you know already the main point people take from you trying to give a brief outline of how helpless you feel is "he doesnt like mcdonaldz nd thtz objective"? What if you get sick of being part of the most hypocritical soceity ever, that treats people like ****ing dirt, and comforts them from the dirtslingers simultaeniously? What if you get sick of an entire soceity being brought up on the same things - a generation of people who think that Radio 1 DJ's are funny and original, throwing their possible personalities down the drain, and merging with the nation in one pathetic, aesthetic mess? What if you feel like you're the only one who notices the irony in the "minger slagging culture we've bred, when its followed by the sunday surgery? A generation of people who've been taught the only way to deal with your problems are trisha, or going on live radio and claiming to be shy and depressed - or better yet, take some prozak with your breakfast.

What if you've lived long enough to destroy any comforting preconceptions about being intelligent you might have held? Once you realise theres no point taking a moral high ground, and realise you dont have any authority, nor know anything for certain - and when you realise the lack of validation involved with certainty. What if you're sick of beauty being considered the holy grail? I dont even mean that in a "its whats inside that counts" way (although thats of course true), but to watch people devote themselves to beauty, every day of their lives, is not only wasting their time, its fuelling the misconception. What if i'm sick in anticipation of the regulars responses to this? The gimmick responses, the "woah", the irony "woah" because ive mentioned it (yes, it goes on), the "u r deep" crap, the honest and the pathetic attempts to analyse or disect? In many ways this would be much easier if i wasnt a long term user. Though im sure unless id been here for 2 years, someone would hound the thread, then the bandwagon would roll. What if it disgusts you how a soceity considers acceptable ways to treat its workers, and its lowest? Watching my manager lift a Six bottle box of Champagne - and realising to myself that despite running the shop day in day out, that box, those 6 vials of fluid are worth more to the shop than a week of her pay, was a quite humbling experience. Good old capatalism, eh. What also, if im tired of there being some sort of preconception about my mood after posting a thread like this? Is it not possible, or feasible at all, for me to be sound of mind and mood and still realise how rubbish everything is? I dont have to be angry or upset already to be saddened by the fact that i could walk into any city or town in the UK, and find the burger king, kfc, mcdonalds, subway, pizza hut, hmv, virgin, top shop, o2 shop, greggs, jjb pretty easily? If you cant see what im getting at, im lost on you - what if i dont want this "standard life" that seems to be sweeping everyone with blind stupidity. What if fear of death is pretty much your number one reason for staying alive? What if i have no intention of ever taking a wife? What if the sheer stupidity of customs like marraige in churches isnt for me? How about realising you'll never write a best selling book - or how about realising youll never find out the end to the most important stories - ie, whats going on in the real world - we just get to view a window of whats gone down in the middle east, or in ireland, seldom the conclusion. How about realising you'd never make a competent father and pass on your genes because you can barely look after yourself? What if i dont care about passing on my genes at all? What if even deciding what degree i'm going to do is less interesting and takes a lower priority than refreshing BBC Sport day after day? What if you almost feel guilty for the times youve came off jovial, and as braindead as those you mock by being happy? What if you find its not just easier, but healthy, to direct your hate at everything else to make each day a little bit easier to get through not wanting the same things as everyone else and blaming yourself for it?

Can i just say right off the bat, theres not really anything in here about my personal life, and id like it to be treated as such? I'm not explaining my surroundings, or relationships, or situations, i am trying to explain how i think about things. Not to slot even deeper into your cliches, but you all do not know everything about me, and it would be arrogant to presume you did, bear that in mind while you flame away. The point im trying to make is like i said, i dont want any of it. It baffles me to believe that you lot are honestly quite happy to "make do" or "smile and forget about it" in a soceity that rewards idiocy, promotes generic crappery, beats people when they're down and keeps them there. More than that im trying to explain that - its too easy to say "Im dead inside", because im not, i get happy, i get angry, i get sad - for some reason, i dont seem to want anything anyone else does, i'm a little out of place, yo.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Aug 2005, 19:45   #2
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: What if i dont want any of it?

You go and do your own thing and stop worrying about what everyone else is doing, unless they're directly in your way.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Aug 2005, 19:46   #3
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Calm down you silly bugger, and find a hobby. I recommend fresh water fishing or extreme ironing.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Aug 2005, 20:17   #4
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a ****ing big television, Choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players, and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol and dental insurance. Choose fixed-interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisure wear and matching luggage. Choose a three piece suite on hire purchase in a range of ****ing fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who the **** you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing ****ing junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing you last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, ****ed-up brats you have spawned to replace yourself. Choose your future. Deffeh, Choose life...
Unread 1 Aug 2005, 20:24   #5
relik
schmuck

relik is on a distinguished road

Allow me to introduce you to my good friend 'reefer'.
relik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Aug 2005, 20:26   #6
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deffeh
Stuff
Get married, then you have more than enough to worry about instead of other stuff.

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Aug 2005, 20:28   #7
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You care way too much about other people.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Aug 2005, 20:31   #8
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
It baffles me to believe that you lot are honestly quite happy to "make do" or "smile and forget about it" in a soceity that rewards idiocy, promotes generic crappery, beats people when they're down and keeps them there.
im going to say something now which given your little outpouring here is disgustingly shallow and empty of meaning, but nonetheless.

Of course life is the proverbial shit creek and none of us even know what a ****ing paddle looks like. However the best coping strategy, morally and emotionally bankrupt though it is, is just to be glad that the worst is happening to all those other ****s you see on TV (hurricanes kill ten thousand in tehran, more at 6, and now: Neighbours) because at least, if nothing else at all, at least you're in a position where you can be pissed off at the superficiality of life because you don't have to struggle even for that.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Aug 2005, 20:37   #9
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
I think this comes from his silly habit of watching television or paying attention to what type of music/etc other people enjoy.
Unread 1 Aug 2005, 20:54   #10
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I don't think I can speak for al of humanity but here I go:

I think that it's pretty safe to say that everyone feels this way at one time or another, it's just that most people don't express this type of thing for a number of reasons, fear of social exclusion being one of them. I believe, given the oppertunity most people would like a change in the way the world is run. But due to feelings of alienation and the belief that things can't be changed as well as the lack of any model on which to base a future society people try not to think about all this crap.

this then leads (partially, increased disposible income and a deliberate effort of companies to tell you that you are defined by your shoes) to superficiality, to mindless to consumption to fill the gap. these new toys mean that people have something to lose. this ensures the complacency of most people in this hollow shell of system.

Churchill said (paraphrasing) 'democracy is the best system of governance which has been tried', and he was right. But apart from democracy, the only system of governence tried that most people are aware of is totalitarian dictatorships (be it rule by a monarch, fascist dictator or communist dictator). If we were to actually try a system that didn't put a certain group of people at the top and tried to be fairer then it's quite possible that things would be better, but who wants to risk their bling?
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Aug 2005, 20:55   #11
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relik
best advice in an advice thread

edit: actually i was going to write some real advice, but then realised i was too stoned. Which is probably ironic, or something.

Last edited by Deepflow; 1 Aug 2005 at 21:01.
Deepflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Aug 2005, 21:02   #12
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
You go and do your own thing and stop worrying about what everyone else is doing, unless they're directly in your way.
Quote:
I probably do. I think its a crying shame so many people waste their lives and become such generic morons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
I think this comes from his silly habit of watching television or paying attention to what type of music/etc other people enjoy.
No, it comes from having very little to look forward to, and living in a world that tells you if you dont look like this, do that, and have one of these, you're a bad person.

Also "doing my own thing" doesnt really exist. I live. I get up, i sit about and listen to music, and i count down the days till the next time i can get incredibly drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by relik
I actually quit drugs because when i ran out back in february, i noticed after 2 weeks i was more awake, more alive, had a happier disposition, more likely to get up before 2, able to get out of chairs without going "Unghh". Now however, im as lethargic as ever, so perhaps a return to cannabis could be a good option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
Of course life is the proverbial shit creek and none of us even know what a ****ing paddle looks like. However the best coping strategy, morally and emotionally bankrupt though it is, is just to be glad that the worst is happening to all those other ****s you see on TV (hurricanes kill ten thousand in tehran, more at 6, and now: Neighbours) because at least, if nothing else at all, at least you're in a position where you can be pissed off at the superficiality of life because you don't have to struggle even for that.
Not mentioning im aware that every single one of us has it relatively easily was an oversight, but it doesnt change my point of view at all.

Unread 1 Aug 2005, 21:05   #13
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I think this is a fairly common feeling in most intelligent young people at some point in their youth.

There is no real answer to the questions you ask which is exactly the point you make. What may be of some importance, however, is the part where you say that you are not dead inside, that you still feel happiness, sadness etc.

To me, that has been the key. Again, at some point after I realized the feelings you speak of, it slowly dawned on me that I am the only thing in the world I can even hope to meaningfully control.

Please don't take this as some dismissive, "your just young" bs. It certainly sounds that way but is not how it is meant.

There is nothing wrong with how you feel. You like what you like. You don't like what you don't like. Nothing is certain but death. Everything seems so meaningless. You may well encounter this again when you are middle aged. When you meet it there, it will be called mid-life crisis.

Usually, it is through exploring these perceptions that you eventually determine what is important to you or at least how to determine what is important to you at the time, because it changes.
Unread 1 Aug 2005, 21:08   #14
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Not mentioning im aware that every single one of us has it relatively easily was an oversight, but it doesnt change my point of view at all.
in that case i have some rather simpler advice.

Down, not across.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Aug 2005, 21:15   #15
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dda
I think this is a fairly common feeling in most intelligent young people at some point in their youth.

There is no real answer to the questions you ask which is exactly the point you make. What may be of some importance, however, is the part where you say that you are not dead inside, that you still feel happiness, sadness etc.

To me, that has been the key. Again, at some point after I realized the feelings you speak of, it slowly dawned on me that I am the only thing in the world I can even hope to meaningfully control.

Please don't take this as some dismissive, "your just young" bs. It certainly sounds that way but is not how it is meant.

There is nothing wrong with how you feel. You like what you like. You don't like what you don't like. Nothing is certain but death. Everything seems so meaningless. You may well encounter this again when you are middle aged. When you meet it there, it will be called mid-life crisis.

Usually, it is through exploring these perceptions that you eventually determine what is important to you or at least how to determine what is important to you at the time, because it changes.
actually i went through a phase like that for around 4 or 5 months last year, too, i actually trained myself to at least "semi believe" in god to get around it. Try that, unless you find the idea of wilfully convincing yourself of something distasteful. I probably should have.

Still, it worked
Unread 1 Aug 2005, 21:17   #16
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

plod on

take the shitness on the chin, be thankful it isn't you being shit most of the time and cherish the times you do enjoy life.
Unread 1 Aug 2005, 21:22   #17
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
No, it comes from having very little to look forward to, and living in a world that tells you if you dont look like this, do that, and have one of these, you're a bad person.
Who tells you that? Why listen to them?

To tell you the truth, if I watch TV for too long, I start to feel pretty sick. The constant barrage of lies, simplification, stupidity really starts getting to me. So I don't do it. I only speak to people (in any detail) whom I feel like speaking to (unless it's a professional matter). If I happen to hear some banality (e.g. "OMG, have you seen the new X Product?") I'll smile and happily ignore them. They maybe happy in their world, I've no idea.

I've no idea what's in the charts. I don't watch scheduled TV. I watch movies ocassionally, usually mainly as a social thing with friends so we can mock how shit most things are. If I do read a newspaper it's usually just to keep up with how bad journalism is these days. When I go out, I go to places where people may not exactly be like me (who is, etc) but are tolerant of people like me.

With the internet, with easy access to other peer groups, with lots of personal freedoms I see no excuse to exposing yourself to stupidity (e.g. scheduled TV, most newspapers, radio in general, etc) unless you really desire it. Yeah, you're not going to find many other people exactly like you - but you should be able to find people who are vaguely kindred spirits (lo these forums).

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that it's not just about opposing "the system" : it's about independence from it. Obviously that's not toally achievable, but it's certainly possible to increase it beyond the level you seem to have done.
Quote:
Also "doing my own thing" doesnt really exist. I live. I get up, i sit about and listen to music, and i count down the days till the next time i can get incredibly drunk
That's pretty easy to remedy though, unless you live in the middle of nowhere. Even then, it's debatable. I'd kill to have free time with nothing but a PC and a text editor installed on it.
Unread 1 Aug 2005, 23:35   #18
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

Well. If I said I feel the same (but slightly different) a lot of the time at the moment, would that cheer you up?

Probably not, but it's true.
Unread 1 Aug 2005, 23:36   #19
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I've felt many of the same things myself, one time or another.(I'm not, however, saying that I know how you feel) The last was a few months ago, when I realised that fighting for a better world was pointless beacause people are stupid and standarderized, comformed, apathetic or whatever you may choose to label them. I still belive in the ideas behind anarchism, I'm still a antifascist, I still think the rich should be eaten and Dante for presiden and all of that, but I've stopped beliving that it's possible to achive it, beacause of the "standardized life" or whatever people live.
I can't say that what I've done will help you, but I only try to find good things to do and work for them. Like now, I'm assembling cash for a friend of mine who was deported, to give him money and then later going down and visiting him. It gives me joy to help others I care about, and to be around people I like. I've recently started to not give a **** about anybody else, at least the persons who just waste their lives on mindless consumption. I don't know why, but I really don't care if they get hurt or injured. (It's not like I hate the starving children in Africa) It's just a hassle to try to save everybody else, when they clearly don't want to be saved. They just want to live their lives ignorant, as long as they are safe and comform. And if they want to judge me, why should I care? I know that I judge them, and harsly, but then again, I'm young and bitter.
The strange thing is that I'm not afraid anymore. I don't know why, but nothing or nobody scares me anymore. Maybe I've just realized that I only live to die anyway, and without rushing the day I die I'm still not about to be afraid to live.

I don't really have any advice to give you exept my own ranting. It's a ****ed up world, and it's not getting any better. BUT, you really should care more about yourself. Live what you see as a just life, **** the rest, and have fun. Live for YOU. Find something important to you (if you haven't allready), and do it or live it. Stop caring about others, they are just mindless wankers anyways!
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Aug 2005, 23:41   #20
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

With this thread Deffeh brings me one step closer to the realisation of my dream:

THE FIRST GD SUICIDE
Unread 1 Aug 2005, 23:42   #21
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snurx
I've felt many of the same things myself, one time or another.(I'm not, however, saying that I know how you feel) The last was a few months ago, when I realised that fighting for a better world was pointless beacause people are stupid and standarderized, comformed, apathetic or whatever you may choose to label them.
Personally, the most depressed I get is when I realise that I'm the same.
Unread 1 Aug 2005, 23:56   #22
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I started out poor and grew up in an institution. A life close to the bottom isn't fun. It's physically uncomfortable, it's incredibly stressful, it saps the energy from your willpower, and worst of all it is horribly horribly boring. When you fight your way out of that, when you grip on to some goals and you never veer too far off course, and then when you accomplish some of those goals at least you begin to have an appreciation for life, for people, for small things that are really big. Things that seemed big before will now tend to seem small. It may just be getting older, it may, and probably just is, me. I've found some sort of peace in it all. Of course I still get upset, and angry, and I can feel pretty miserable, but theres this very central part of me, my foundation of sorts if you will, that has a measure of peace. I'm greatful for that, and I'm greatful for the good people in my life. When you reach that deffeh, hopefully this other shit wont bother you anymore.

Just my two cents.
Unread 2 Aug 2005, 00:39   #23
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: What if i dont want any of it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
Actually me and D have an agreement that if he becomes President I will kill him and if I become President he will kill me. Its for the best.
President of what? Or doesn't it matter?
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Aug 2005, 01:07   #24
onetwothree
4 5 6

onetwothree is a name known to allonetwothree is a name known to allonetwothree is a name known to allonetwothree is a name known to allonetwothree is a name known to allonetwothree is a name known to all

Rule number one about forums, don't make long rants - people don't read them.
onetwothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Aug 2005, 01:17   #25
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

I would be as presumtuous as to say I feel similar, but basically just spent five years or so being incredibly bored and literally doing nothing all day but sleeping and eating, then just felt "I'm so desperate I'll do anything", and these days just copy the cool kids. I don't actually care about going out but I can't justify being cynical about going out either.

I doubt that many men actively look for relationships. I'm told I'll fall for a girl and then feel obliged to look after her.
Unread 2 Aug 2005, 01:23   #26
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetwothree
Rule number one about forums, don't make long rants - people don't read them.
I'm happy you took the time out to post, though <3.

People do read them if they're bored. Im not bothered if everyone does or doesnt, thats their deal. What did happen though was that everyone took different things from it. Yahwe seems to think im on suicide watch. Different people empathised with different parts.

The main things you all seem to be missing or glossing over though are

a/ I can Try, but i cant stop what i do and dont care about. I can throw away my television, but the Radio will still be on at work. I'll still have to queue in Tesco. I'll still know people whom i have no reason to fight with or fall out with, that expose me to their idiocy. I WILL still care, it doesnt matter if i shouldnt, i will.

b/ Again, i cant repeat enough that this was just an expression of thought, and nothing else. Nothing about my personal life. This is just how i feel, how i view things, regardless whether i should or shouldnt

Unread 2 Aug 2005, 01:25   #27
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Yahwe seems to think im on suicide watch.
actually i'm running a book on it.
Unread 2 Aug 2005, 01:26   #28
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I, and many others, read every word. I have nothing useful to say on the subject excep that the 'onetwothree' guy is shit and thinks he knows better than he does.

**** off, onetwothree!
Unread 2 Aug 2005, 01:32   #29
onetwothree
4 5 6

onetwothree is a name known to allonetwothree is a name known to allonetwothree is a name known to allonetwothree is a name known to allonetwothree is a name known to allonetwothree is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablissimo
I, and many others, read every word. I have nothing useful to say on the subject excep that the 'onetwothree' guy is shit and thinks he knows better than he does.

**** off, onetwothree!
You don't know what you're saying, go finger a clown you scouse vagabond.
onetwothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Aug 2005, 01:46   #30
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Die.
Unread 2 Aug 2005, 08:34   #31
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

If you listen to the top40, stop, if you read magazines packed full of adverts, chuck them away, if you have a TV, get rid of it. I haven't ever owned a TV and stopped watching it when I went to university. You may well find that stopping the endless barrage of marketing (for that is fundamentally all TV is) of what is supposed to be the "ideal life" but in reality is just whatever makes money for Sony, Prada, Nestlé, Ford and countless other faceless corporations that just want your money. their impression of what life is, is false, and everyone else is just living that false life. The corporate world is pumping you with their shit memes to take over your life. just let it all go and do your own thing. there might not be a thing immediately, but once your brain stops letting the marketing gurus rule the way it thinks, there will be.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Aug 2005, 09:18   #32
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical Edward
If you listen to the top40, stop, if you read magazines packed full of adverts, chuck them away, if you have a TV, get rid of it. I haven't ever owned a TV and stopped watching it when I went to university. You may well find that stopping the endless barrage of marketing (for that is fundamentally all TV is) of what is supposed to be the "ideal life" but in reality is just whatever makes money for Sony, Prada, Nestlé, Ford and countless other faceless corporations that just want your money. their impression of what life is, is false, and everyone else is just living that false life. The corporate world is pumping you with their shit memes to take over your life. just let it all go and do your own thing. there might not be a thing immediately, but once your brain stops letting the marketing gurus rule the way it thinks, there will be.
I really dont think the whole 'blaming the KorPoRAte world for an inability to project your* own values onto life' thing is healthy - at best it constitutes denial, and yet another way to avoid taking responsibilty. There's nothing inherently wrong with TV, Sony make pretty good games consoles, and McDonalds milkshakes are awesome. Buying the latest iPod isnt going to make you a mindless drone, nor is watching Big Brother and cheering on a football team. Some people manage to partake in aspects of pop-culture without losing any of their individuality/integrity - the arrow of casuality points in the opposite direction from the way most people seem to think it does. The problem isnt that mass culture sucks people in, its that they dont have enough weight to avoid the pull.

Are most of the values currently accepted by society worthless? Yes of course, but there's nothing binding you to them. But simply avoiding exposure to pop-culture seems to treat the symptom rather than the disease, which in this case stems from people not having strong values of their own. Someone who is immersed in his own personal values and goals is unlikely to become depressed when he sees a 'perfect life' displayed in an episode of Friends, nor is he going to become a consumerist because he enjoys electronic gadgets. I suspect that these things mainly happen to people who didnt have any strong commitments or directions anyway. You only really want to lose yourself in others when you have nothing of your own.

Feeling a bit depressed every now and then when you notice the stupidity and whimsicality permeating the world is one thing, but constantly dwelling on it to the point where it consumes your life is another. For all of Britain's faults, it isnt a totalitarianian regime and theres only so much effect that other people's actions can have you on without your permission.

* not 'you' personally.

Last edited by Nodrog; 2 Aug 2005 at 09:48.
Unread 2 Aug 2005, 10:51   #33
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
The problem isnt that mass culture sucks people in, its that they dont have enough weight to avoid the pull.
In Deffeh's situation, it's neither. He's not afraid of (and not likely to) being pulled into "their values" (well, only a little bit) - it's the fact he's pretty sickened by it. Or so it seems to me.

Last night before reading this thread I was watching my friend play GTA : SA. He stopped playing it and when the XBox went off the TV came on and it was some sort of episode of "MTV Cribs" (I think). After about five minutes of watching people celebrate their god awful homes I had to leave the room. Not that I was worried about being "sucked in" and really wanting a solid gold statute of Tupac in my front room or whatever, but because that sort of thing actually makes me feel rather annoyed.

It's like a particularly "politically correct" person or racially sensitive person reading Stormfront every day and getting really upset/annoyed about the racism displayed there. I doubt it'd be a good idea for such a person to do that, not because they might suddenly think to themselves..."Hmmm....blacks do commit loads of crimes and Mexicans are lazy!!!!!" but because they'll actually end up feeling the world is pretty shitty if they do (unless they have a specific purpose behind their actions, like responding to their arguments, or research or what-not).

I don't think you can really pin it down to "lack of strong values" in a person if they find certain aspects of contemporary culture (or whatever) worthless.
Unread 2 Aug 2005, 11:40   #34
Nodrog

[quote=Dante HicksI don't think you can really pin it down to "lack of strong values" in a person if they find certain aspects of contemporary culture (or whatever) worthless.[/QUOTE]
Well,

Quote:
Feeling a bit depressed every now and then when you notice the stupidity and whimsicality permeating the world is one thing, but constantly dwelling on it to the point where it consumes your life is another
I can see your point though - deliberately exposing yourself to the point where something that sickens you is silly. But let's take your stormfront example. Will this person always be upset when he reads racist comments there? If he's in a particularly good mood, wont he be more likely to just laugh and dismiss it? And if not, why? Arent his strongest revulsions likely to come at a time when he is feeling pretty down anyway, perhaps even looking for something that will provoke a bit of carathic outrage? Bill Hicks once made a comment about being a camel with a hump of hate, having to go to a nightclub every now and then to fill it up whenever it was running dry.
Unread 2 Aug 2005, 11:54   #35
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

I retract most of what I said, on second thinking most of it was crap and applicable to the weak of mind.

Unread 2 Aug 2005, 11:56   #36
Radical Edward

Quote:
Well,

I can see your point though - deliberately exposing yourself to the point where something that sickens you is silly. But let's take your stormfront example. Will this person always be upset when he reads racist comments there? If he's in a particularly good mood, wont he be more likely to just laugh and dismiss it? And if not, why? Arent his strongest revulsions likely to come at a time when he is feeling pretty down anyway, perhaps even looking for something that will provoke a bit of carathic outrage? Bill Hicks once made a comment about being a camel with a hump of hate, having to go to a nightclub every now and then to fill it up whenever it was running dry.
I often make a similar comment, I go to nightclubs once a year to remind myself why I don't go the rest of the year. closer to the topic at hand, I don't let other people bother me - the only way things bother me is if I let them, and I feel I am capable of deciding whether something is worth being bothered about or not.

Unread 2 Aug 2005, 11:59   #37
madi
a little bit broken

madi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better place

i may well be repeating something already posted as i cant be arsed to read all the replies
but

the world is full of idiots and there is nothing you can do about it
you are born, you scream and crap and fight for a few decades and then you are dead
get used to it and get on with making the best of it
else you are wasting as much oxygen as all the people you are whining about
Unread 2 Aug 2005, 12:04   #38
Radical Edward

Quote:
Originally Posted by madi
i may well be repeating something already posted as i cant be arsed to read all the replies
but

the world is full of idiots and there is nothing you can do about it
you are born, you scream and crap and fight for a few decades and then you are dead
get used to it and get on with making the best of it
else you are wasting as much oxygen as all the people you are whining about
that won't get you into heaven.

Unread 2 Aug 2005, 12:19   #39
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

then the devil is 6?

Seriously though, to paraphrase and oversimplify a lot of the good advice in this thread. If society upsets you so much, don't expose yourself to it. Make new friends if the ones you have are so boring, find new hobbies you actually enjoy doing aside from just "drinking". Hell, if you want to you could just become a huge geek and embed yourself in your course.

The thing that is slightly more worrying than anything else about your post is that you arent attracted to anyone... no one at all? men or women? That does seem unusual, and further than just normal "dissolusionment". But hey, everyone is different, you could just be celibate for a while, see how that goes.
Unread 2 Aug 2005, 14:08   #40
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

... than that must make me 7

I didn't quite have the endurance to read your entire post Dace, but I get the general jist of it all from the other posters.

My perspective on life is you live it for yourself. Don't bother with what other people are thinking or doing it's all irrelevent in the big picture. Choose a goal and stick to it no matter what. What do you want out of life? Want to be a hobo? then do it! Want to be a millionare? then do it! Even if you never make it there at least you tried.

Last edited by djbass; 2 Aug 2005 at 14:14.
djbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Aug 2005, 14:18   #41
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbass
I didn't quite have the endurance to read your entire post Dace, but I get the general jist of it all from the other posters.
are you trying to push Deffeh over the edge?
Unread 2 Aug 2005, 14:53   #42
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

whoops!
djbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Aug 2005, 16:47   #43
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: What if i dont want any of it?

Become a Monk on Iona or Lindisfarne. The simple life is good.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Aug 2005, 18:23   #44
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Deffeh,
I'm starting to see your point.