User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 24 Feb 2005, 02:17   #1
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Too much security ? [Bush-Visit]

Just from watching normal German news, I was quite surprised HOW MUCH EFFORT they had put into today's visit from Mr. Bush.
He came to Mainz, a German town of about 180k people.

And the WHOLE DAMN INNER CITY (not just the town center I believe) was sort of closed. No cars, nothing. All the streets were closed, ok. All cars that hadn't been removed where town away. Even some sewage manhole covers were sield (welded).
The airport (or the airzone above it) was partially closed. More than 100 flights delayed I believe, many cancelled.

The whole highway / "Autobahn"-traffic was redirected around the city by forming a giant sort of '"roundabout".

About -- don't hate me if I'm not remembering it correctly -- 10k policemen on duty. People were advised it'd be "best to stay at home".

And all for Mr. Bush. I mean, ok, I can understand it. But isn't this overkill?

I mean, look. 180k people is not THAT a small city. And think about all the shops. They'll loose one normal shopping day. Probably best to not open the shop at all that day.

The security wasn't even that big for the pope. But it's understandable. I wouldn't want to know what would happen if the American president was killed in Germany. Or somewhere else in Europe.

So apparently it's not the first time the security is that high. Amazing nevertheless.
The pictures.
Bush's car the only one driving. Nice.

Just thinking & sharing...
Unread 24 Feb 2005, 02:25   #2
I am Idler
This is bat country

I am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Too much security ? [Bush-Visit]

The security was similiar insane and ridicilous the last time mr. Bush visited Norway.

Tons of people lost money due to either not being able to go to work in the are he was visiting, or shops having to be closed.

That, and the fact that people were actually being dragged in from other counties, shortening their staff just so they could guard any potential areas where "terrorists" could strike from.

It really is about time that the American government starts paying damage to people affected every time he deciedes to make a "friendly" visit to a nation.
Unread 24 Feb 2005, 02:44   #3
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

he is the most powerful man in the world but more important he is a symbol of american strength in the same way an aircraft carrier is....more so infact.

he symbolises all that america is and if he was assinated it would prove irrecovably that no matter how well protected and no matter how secure....noone is safe. not even the most well protected and powerful man on the face of the earth.

however

Godfather ...."If anything in this life is certain, if history has taught us anything, it's that you can kill anyone"
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Feb 2005, 03:09   #4
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

demiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammyJim
...."If anything in this life is certain, if history has taught us anything, it's that you can kill anyone"
"i like to drink wine more than i used to... anyway, i'm drinking more"

Veneratio | Insomnia | F-Crew | Subh
demiGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Feb 2005, 03:18   #5
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i believe thats from when hes sitting down in the garden with him about to ask for advice. (its vito saying it). He tells him that whoever comes to him to arrange the meeting is the traitor.
Unread 24 Feb 2005, 03:33   #6
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

demiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nice

you think you can fool a corleone?!??

Unread 24 Feb 2005, 03:40   #7
JammyJim
Godfather

talking to carlo about santinos death and his involvement.

he was a little pissed off. promised he wouldnt hurt him because he was father of his godson.
then he confessed and was killed.

now....lets not take the thread off track (!!)
Unread 24 Feb 2005, 04:25   #8
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Too much security ? [Bush-Visit]

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Idler
It really is about time that the American government starts paying damage to people affected every time he deciedes to make a "friendly" visit to a nation.
Wouldn't it be easier to just not invite him in the first place? I'm pretty sure that heads of state don't usually drop in without some sort of invitation.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Feb 2005, 04:47   #9
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammyJim
talking to carlo about santinos death and his involvement.

he was a little pissed off. promised he wouldnt hurt him because he was father of his godson.
then he confessed and was killed.
the joys in the world of the corleone family - i wouldnt be surprised if you read the book at least 4 times also (because i did lol!)

but to be back on track of the thread:
-there's really no such thing as too much security - this is where good security and great security is drawn and i'm sure the bush administration is very grateful of germany's support of this kind of effort to keep his visit safe -

Unread 24 Feb 2005, 05:30   #10
Chika
Black Power MotherF*ckas!

Chika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to behold

I do think that was a tad overkill. But you could never be to safe. Plus, if he was killed over there, I fear it would strike some sort of overkill rebutal. So it probably is wise to just be on the safe side. Someone said it best. He is the most powerful man in the world. Only natural that he could shut an entire city down with a visit.
Unread 24 Feb 2005, 10:04   #11
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The present US administration wishes to maximise the feeling that "we are in imminent danger". this is a classic political tool for manipulating your population and is not unique to the americans.

In order to support this policy of increasing the fear and feeling of danger it seems quite logical to have ridiculous levels of security wherever the figurehead of that administration is seen in public. no matter how unnecessary such security really is

in short: it makes people think he's doing it because he has to.
Unread 24 Feb 2005, 10:31   #12
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

When he came to Ireland he shut down the entire airport here in Shannon, the entire massive industrial estate, the town itself, the roads around it, the roads around them, all possible routes within 22 miles of anywhere he would possible have to go etc.
The place lost millions upon millions, and I got 'menaced' by several hundred cops who were there to 'police' about 300 demonstrators from the town and surrounding areas (no-one else could get in, making the protests seems small).
Believe me, it costs everyone an obscene amount of money to transport that hick anywhere. I don't see why he can't do what he's done all his life and just stay the **** inside the U.S.
Unread 24 Feb 2005, 11:28   #13
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of

What Yahwe said.

Don´t believe the hype.
Unread 24 Feb 2005, 11:31   #14
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetLinus
About -- don't hate me if I'm not remembering it correctly -- 10k policemen on duty. People were advised it'd be "best to stay at home".
Presumably so that people's houses were not broken into and there being no policeman to attend to the scene.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Feb 2005, 11:50   #15
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew
Presumably so that people's houses were not broken into and there being no policeman to attend to the scene.

We had a period of time where there were 0 speeding ticket issued. Guess when? When Mr. Bush was here and every traffic cop in the country was on duty in that little area.

Was fun to drive around for that time. Could do so with impunity.
Unread 25 Feb 2005, 06:24   #16
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
The present US administration wishes to maximise the feeling that "we are in imminent danger". this is a classic political tool for manipulating your population and is not unique to the americans.

In order to support this policy of increasing the fear and feeling of danger it seems quite logical to have ridiculous levels of security wherever the figurehead of that administration is seen in public. no matter how unnecessary such security really is

in short: it makes people think he's doing it because he has to.
you would make a good right-wing political shock jock aired on an afternoon drive time slot in your local talk radio station syndicated all over the UK - really, and you'll be really successful doing it also

Unread 25 Feb 2005, 09:04   #17
ceres

ceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud of

I cant say i have much affection for our colonial friend, but i'd rather he be well looked after as god forbid a terrorist managed to assasinate him, can you imagine the aftermath, nukes all round.
________
Diannee

Last edited by ceres; 31 Aug 2011 at 06:49.
ceres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Feb 2005, 11:37   #18
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceres
I cant say i have much affection for our colonial friend, but i'd rather he be well looked after as god forbid a terrorist managed to assasinate him, can you imagine the aftermath, nukes all round.

I doubt they'd nuke anyone but they'd use it as an excuse to deal with any country they like however they wished.
So long as you're not in Syria, Iran, North Korea, South America, Central America, Eastern Europe or Africa...then you'd probably not be directly afftected.
However it still wouldn't be a nice world to live in.
Unread 25 Feb 2005, 11:41   #19
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

i think Cheney (sp?) would be an even worse president, so lets look out for this one.
Unread 25 Feb 2005, 11:51   #20
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by wu_trax
i think Cheney (sp?) would be an even worse president, so lets look out for this one.
The "Please don't kill Bush" campaign? Interesting.

Though you could assassinate Cheny be just jumping out at him and going "wAH!".

One heart attack later...
Unread 25 Feb 2005, 15:19   #21
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

lol!

Unread 26 Feb 2005, 01:04   #22
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demiGOD
you would make a good right-wing political shock jock aired on an afternoon drive time slot in your local talk radio station syndicated all over the UK - really, and you'll be really successful doing it also

errr... ???

'right' wing?
Unread 26 Feb 2005, 01:40   #23
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts

it's the 1 opposite to the left wing.

It was last time I checked anyways

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2005, 02:20   #24
CamelToe
You Know I'm Right

CamelToe is infamous around these partsCamelToe is infamous around these partsCamelToe is infamous around these partsCamelToe is infamous around these partsCamelToe is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Idler
Great plan. In fact, lets give your plan a name. Hmm, how about 'The Marshall Plan'? Oh wait, I think that name was already used for something else, but i can't remember for what.

Don't act like you weren't thinking the same thing...

you should stop posting on these forums as you're CRAP
CamelToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2005, 02:21   #25
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

im sure i (and anyone else with a half decent brain) could think of a way to get round that security and kill Bush if thats what was desired