User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 2 Sep 2004, 12:38   #1
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Half-marathon

Edit: Scroll down to my 3rd post to see newer more relevant info .

Yesterday i was chatting with a few friends and we were all talking about how boring this summer has been in general, then someone joked about running a half marathon. At first we just laughed, but after thinking about it it doesnt sound like a bad idea. It will give us something to train for, will keep us fit (i'm fairly fir to start with but some of my mates arent so much), and it would be a pretty good achievement to finish a proper organised half marathon and raise money for charity.

Has anyone ever run something like this? Any advice? Any ideas which event would be best to enter? I'm thinking March would be a good time to do it seeing as thats when most of them seem to start and i'll be buggered if i am going to try and be fit enough for the Great North Run in 26 days. London half marathon looks like the best option atm, seeing as its run at Silverstone so it will be flat.

Planning on sending off for info packs from Cancer Research and Flora this weekend but any advice from someone thats looked into something along these lines before would be nice.

Last edited by JC; 16 Feb 2005 at 22:46.
JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Sep 2004, 12:40   #2
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Half-marathon/full marathon

start with a half, and you need a LOT of practice.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 2 Sep 2004, 12:42   #3
madi
a little bit broken

madi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better place

i am thinking of running the london marathon next year
if i get a place
Unread 2 Sep 2004, 12:44   #4
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWSBOT3
start with a half, and you need a LOT of practice.
Yeah that's the plan. If i/we enjoy it and dont kill ourselves we might look at the London marathon for 2006 or something like that. Found a 16 week training plan for beginners for half marathons, so starting with that this weekend seems like the way forward, and then maybe onto a more advanced training plan when thats finished ready for Feb/March time.
Unread 2 Sep 2004, 13:39   #5
Everpain
Nobody

Everpain is an unknown quantity at this point

I did a marathon in Bournemouth about... oooh... 8 or 9 years ago, without any practice whatsoever. It nearly killed me. I couldn't walk properly for 3 weeks, and was in severe pain for quite a while. My advice? Train. Lots. Several miles a day.
Everpain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Sep 2004, 14:24   #6
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

i can do 10km in less than 45 minutes without having trained for it. doing that for 8 years now (''newyears-run'').
so this year i'll sign up for the half-marathon of Enschede. perhaps i'll try a full marathon if this goes well.
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Feb 2005, 22:44   #7
JC
lolly roffle

Seeing as this thread was such a resounding success last time around i thought i would resurrect it for this.

My half-marathon is in less than a month's time - 13th of March - so i'm currently trying to get people to sponsor me to run with all the money raised going to Cancer Research. I'ld be very surprised if anyone on GD was willing to sponsor me but i thought it was worth a shot just in case. I've setup a website at http://www.justgiving.com/wwilko3 so that secure donations can be made directly to Cancer Research over the internet.

I realise everyone gets bombarded with requests from charities for money week in week out and i like most people say no practically everytime, but if anyone is willing to sponsor me no matter how little i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

Ian
Unread 16 Feb 2005, 23:18   #8
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

The sportshop man laughed at me when I said I wanted shoes for jogging.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Feb 2005, 00:44   #9
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

keep this on the front page JC and i will sponsor you on the first day of march
Unread 17 Feb 2005, 01:01   #10
zakoff
Evul Critter

zakoff is on a distinguished road

one of my mates was motivated enough to sign up for a 10000m cross country run, thinking that an event you encourage him to get fit. It didn't, so he has a 10000m cross country run to do without being able too or has to foreit his entry money.

be warned!
Unread 17 Feb 2005, 10:52   #11
JC
lolly roffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner_0
keep this on the front page JC and i will sponsor you on the first day of march
Is that some kind of bumping challenging to see how long i can go before MM gets upset?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakoff
be warned!
I go to the gym 4 times a week, i run 20-25 miles a week, i should be ok .
Unread 17 Feb 2005, 11:39   #12
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Jogging is probably the most boring thing it's possible to do (true story).
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Feb 2005, 11:45   #13
Tis
Lost the Fury... :(

Tis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud of

perhaps, but the indoor variety is more boring than the outdoor variety.
Tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Feb 2005, 11:50   #14
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I find jogging to be quite enjoyable. It's not supposed to be "exciting" as such, but it's very relaxing (mentally) and you get to put things into a different perspective. Plus if you push yourself to your limits you do start feeling a genuine rush (after you've finished wheezing).
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Feb 2005, 12:18   #15
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

it was more along the lines of:
if you want my money you will remind me on the first of march, when i get paid
Unread 17 Feb 2005, 12:57   #16
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I was thinking about investing in knee replacement technology.

its a toss up between 'if i do i'll make money' and 'if i don't i'll get to enjoy you people being in pain'

tough call.