User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 22 Mar 2005, 20:48   #1
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Yahwe Explains .... Gravy

Gravy is an important part of British Cusine. The modern use of 'bisto' and other such granules have contributed to the prefelance of the opinion that British food is somehow inferior to other forms of cusine.

Of course a large part of the decline of British Cusine is the popularity of italian peasent foods such as pizza and pasta, dishes uniform in flavour and uninventive, developed as cheap bulky foods for rural workers.

gravy granules, which while they may appeal to some (things we are used to often do, particularly anything from our childhood) are nowhere near true gravy in quality and effect. in truth gravy granules produce a brown mess totally unconected with gravy.

So why the change?

There is an oft held belief that gravy granules are quicker and easier, this is an advertising lie.

bisto was invented in 1908 for the very poor. the people who could not afford proper meat to roast. granules allowed gravy to be produced immitating proper quality meat. immitating or masking.

bisto as a product would likely have died out in our afluent world were the poor are not forced to eat truly appalling meat.

what then was the magic ingredient?

rationing.

rationing meant that the availability of proper meet to all but the upper classes almost entirely died out. perfectly wealthy middle class families could no longer obtain proper meat. when poorer cuts of meat are roasted almost no juices are produced from the meat.

So how is proper gravy made? You take your roasting dish, you remove your meat and your vegetables, you place your roasting tin on the hob and add boiling water, some wine (or stout/beer depending on what flavour you want) you stir.

you can add herbs if you fancy. if you need to thicken the gravy blend in the bits of potatoe stuck to the roasting tin, if necessary add flour. experiment with the alcohols you use.

by the time rationing was over a whole generation had been distorted into the believe that they needed gravy granules to make gravy. nowadays beautiful flavoursome juices are poured away down the sink.

YOU ARE NOW FREE FROM THE LIE OF BISTO!
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 20:56   #2
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Yahwe Explains .... Gravy

thats how my mum always makes gravy

P.S i was surprised that you actually made this thread, but i shouldn't have been really i suppose
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 20:59   #3
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold

Thank you Yahwe I am now saved yet again from peasant status

I feel so empowered

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
MAdnRisKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 21:01   #4
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

what'll save you from that giant chip on your shoulder?

when idi sees it you'll get eaten to.
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 21:05   #5
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

i found this thread enlightening.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 21:07   #6
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Sarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriend

The reason 'british cuisine' has a bad name is exactly as Yahwe says.

In fact it's not so much British cuisine as British cooking.

My flatmate at Uni, I think she was German but I can't remember (she moved out after 2 months because she didn't like us !) used to rant occasionally about the fact that no British person she had met could cook. If they wanted to cook, for example, Spaghetti Bolognaise they would brown the mince and then add a jar of 'Ragu for Bolognaise' (or whatever) whereas they would be just as quick making it with fresh ingredients, and it'd taste a lot nicer.

And you know what? She was right.

In my sleep I grind my teeth.
Sarina_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 21:09   #7
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarina_Joy
The reason 'british cuisine' has a bad name is exactly as Yahwe says.

In fact it's not so much British cuisine as British cooking.

My flatmate at Uni, I think she was German but I can't remember (she moved out after 2 months because she didn't like us !) used to rant occasionally about the fact that no British person she had met could cook. If they wanted to cook, for example, Spaghetti Bolognaise they would brown the mince and then add a jar of 'Ragu for Bolognaise' (or whatever) whereas they would be just as quick making it with fresh ingredients, and it'd taste a lot nicer.

And you know what? She was right.
indeed.

cooking should be mandatory in schools.

or at least universities.
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 21:13   #8
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i find the ready made pasta sauces vile; they're often way too strong and with poor quality herbs in far too great a quantity.

passatta is the furthest i go to 'ready made' with spaghetti bolognaise. Not to mention, doing it fresh is actually massively cheaper.
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 21:15   #9
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Sarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriend

The only 'ready made' pasta sauce I buy is pesto (in its various forms) and really then only because I do not own a blender.

Unread 22 Mar 2005, 21:17   #10
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

im a lazy ****er.

i should make my own, but i can't be arsed.
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 21:19   #11
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i wish i had done food tech at school... but it was a fairly traditional boys school and all we could do was building stuff

having said that, i dont think i ever finished a single technology project in 5 years of doing it, so i showed them! sort of.
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 21:20   #12
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Back in my school days, they was the cool days, school was the good old days now,
I tend to leave my teachers amazed they never knew my hard work paved the way,
when I talk about back in the days, the hard life, everything will be all gravy,

Boy you told me not to worry 'cause it's gonna be all gravy,
Boy you told me not to worry 'cause it's gonna be all gravy baby
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 21:26   #13
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
The only 'ready made' pasta sauce I buy is pesto (in its various forms) and really then only because I do not own a blender.
Ready made pesto isn't even comparable with freshly made though. It's like two different, but similar items.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 21:35   #14
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

so the second world war was a Bisto conspiracy? :eek:

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 22:14   #15
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place

in 7th grade home ec we made Egg McMuffins in the microwave. Tasty sumbitches.

since i got an A+ in there i am clearly a chef of some stature. And by 'some stature' i mean i'm fat.
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 22:25   #16
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I cook my own food. Apparently I'm even pretty good! That's how my parents make gravy but then we're rich as kings :)))
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 22:29   #17
Yahwe
I am.

you can't make gravy out of potatoes.
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 22:32   #18
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

We cook our own black men.
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 22:55   #19
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

"YOU CANT BEAT A BISTO KID"

Not anymore anyway. The courts frown on that sort of thing nowadays.
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 23:13   #20
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
proper meet
the gd one rihgt?
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 23:34   #21
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

This thread does not deliver. I havent seen one mention of "Baby Gravy".
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Mar 2005, 05:30   #22
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

demiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nice

me LOVES gravy - Although I have seen more gravy in Germany (which was GOOD FOOD btw) than in the UK, of course I can be wrong. Also the gravy that Americans from the south use mainly chicken or braised beef grease and broth, floured to thicken, so it's not the healthiest of things.

Veneratio | Insomnia | F-Crew | Subh
demiGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Mar 2005, 08:02   #23
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demiGOD
I have seen more gravy in Germany than in the UK, of course I can be wrong.
fascinating.

you really should post more often.
Unread 23 Mar 2005, 08:51   #24
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

since when do british people know about cooking?
there's nothing special about gravy btw, used often in dutch, belgian and german dishes aswell.
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Mar 2005, 09:23   #25
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:

potatoe
Oh. My. God.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Mar 2005, 09:25   #26
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurashima
This thread does not deliver. I havent seen one mention of "Baby Gravy".

because you make baby oil out of babies.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Mar 2005, 11:12   #27
DaWoodster
Registered abUser

DaWoodster is an unknown quantity at this point

No alcohol please, this is the REAL way to make gravy.

Required ingredients; Stock, Plain Flour, Potato water, gravy browning, salt, pepper.

Pour the remaining stock from the roastin tin into a jug, skim the fat back into the roasting tin.
Ensure that the roasting tin is cool enough to handle, if it's too hot this will result in lumpy gravy.

Stir enough flour into the fat in the tin to make a thick paste, as soon as this starts to get quite thick add the rest of your stock whilst stirring quickly until you have a lump free smooth liquid.

Pour this liquid into a pan, disolve the remaining liquid from the roasting tin with as much potato water as you had stock, add this to the pan.

Put the pan on a high heat and stir continuously until it starts to boil then reduce the heat to keep the gravy simmering slowly.
If the liquid becomes too thick, add more potato water until you acheive the required consistancy.

Add very small amounts of gravy browning (drops) until the gravy is coloured to your liking.
Season to your own taste with salt and pepper, serve.

Before anyone asks, the potato water i refer to is the water that you boiled your potatoes in, stupid.

Last edited by DaWoodster; 23 Mar 2005 at 11:30.
DaWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Mar 2005, 12:21   #28
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Yeh your recipe is fine except the 'gravy browning' which is totally unecessary.

Unread 23 Mar 2005, 12:49   #29
DaWoodster
Registered abUser

Quote:
Yeh your recipe is fine except the 'gravy browning' which is totally unecessary.
i prefer a dark gravy with beef, this cannot be acheived without browning.
Unread 23 Mar 2005, 16:27   #30
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:

and the use of a stock rather than the juices from a joint or bird

we all know he meant stock from a cube as well

dirty little upstart isn't he.

using unnecessary chemicals and giving us a recipe that involves lots of faffing when the whole point is that real gravy is easier than granules or other such nonsense.
Unread 23 Mar 2005, 17:06   #31
DaWoodster
Registered abUser

Quote:
and the use of a stock rather than the juices from a joint or bird

we all know he meant stock from a cube as well

dirty little upstart isn't he.

using unnecessary chemicals and giving us a recipe that involves lots of faffing when the whole point is that real gravy is easier than granules or other such nonsense.
The "stock" I refer to is the juices and fat remaining in the tin after roasting a joint of meat.

"dirty little upstart"?
Discuss.

There is no "faffing" involved in my recipe, it's very simple and uses only natural ingredients, the browning to which I refer is basically a caramelised sugar solution.
Unread 23 Mar 2005, 17:14   #32
Yahwe
I am.

so basically my recipe with an unnecessary gavy browning product and no wine?

aces
Unread 23 Mar 2005, 17:19   #33
DaWoodster
Registered abUser

Quote:
so basically my recipe with an unnecessary gavy browning product and no wine?

aces
The main difference is how the gravy is thickened, adding flour to a watery liquid as in your recipe will create lumps, almost impossible to remove lumps if the liquid is hot.

My recipe involves mixing the flour to the cooled fat from the joint prior to adding the stock and water, this does not allow lumps to form.
Unread 23 Mar 2005, 17:25   #34
Yahwe
I am.

since i have turned into gravy pedant extrordinair i shall now add to how big a wanker i am by quoting myself

here "if you need to thicken the gravy blend in the bits of potatoe stuck to the roasting tin, if necessary add flour"

and they saying to you
Unread 23 Mar 2005, 17:25   #35
Ninja_spammer
Freedom Fanatic

Ninja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud of

Surely it should be 'prevelance' ?
Unread 23 Mar 2005, 17:29   #36
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja_spammer
Surely it should be 'prevelance' ?
Prevalence.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Mar 2005, 17:34   #37
DaWoodster
Registered abUser

Quote:
since i have turned into gravy pedant extrordinair i shall now add to how big a wanker i am by quoting myself

here "if you need to thicken the gravy blend in the bits of potatoe stuck to the roasting tin, if necessary add flour"

and they saying to you
Then I shall be equally pedantic and quote myself:

"adding flour to a watery liquid as in your recipe will create lumps, almost impossible to remove lumps if the liquid is hot."

so to you too.
Unread 23 Mar 2005, 17:57   #38
Yahwe
I am.

but as all pedants can see i no where suggested adding the flour to hot liquid.
Unread 23 Mar 2005, 18:10   #39
Ninja_spammer
Freedom Fanatic

Ninja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by queball
Prevalence.

And least someone can spell.

I nominate you Knight commander of the order of Slightly impressive spellcheckers.
Unread 23 Mar 2005, 18:18   #40
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: Yahwe Explains .... Gravy

I can't be bothered with food that requires a lot of preperation, unless someone else is preparing it, in which case it's all tickety boo.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Mar 2005, 18:25   #41
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

it's all gravy,

baby.
Unread 23 Mar 2005, 18:43   #42
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

My mate was seeing the girl who used to be in the Bisto adverts, she was quite nice, true story.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Mar 2005, 18:51   #43
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks
My mate was seeing the girl who used to be in the Bisto adverts, she was quite nice, true story.
Was she tasty?
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Mar 2005, 18:57   #44
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
I can't be bothered with food that requires a lot of preperation, unless someone else is preparing it, in which case it's all tickety boo.
Absolute agreement. Effort is for other people. I don't really give a toss whether foriegners thinks this mean "the English can't cook" or some other nonsense.

As to the original post ; while I agree about "proper" gravy over granules, I dislike wine being added to food. One of the reasons I hate eating European (continental) food is they seem to add wine to every sauce imaginable which I personally find disgusting.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Mar 2005, 21:27   #45
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by queball
Was she tasty?
just add boiling water and she'll be all over your meat and two veg
Unread 23 Mar 2005, 22:54   #46
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWoodster
almost impossible to remove lumps if the liquid is hot.

Pishtosh.

That's why God created whisks.

Unread 24 Mar 2005, 09:42   #47
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Pishtosh.

That's why God created whisks.
Did you know that chopsticks were invented by impatient people?
People would boil their food in a big kettle. Those who could not wait to eat would break some twigs and would fish out pieces of food with the twigs much like people in the east use chopsticks now.