User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 12 Mar 2005, 17:44   #1
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society
Is this legal...

so i was looking on the internet and clicked on a link somewhere (I can't remember where), and this site popped up. It seems like an inticing offer, but what I want to know is this:
is it legal in the uk?
the site is http://www.americamp3network.com/ by the way.
Unread 12 Mar 2005, 17:47   #2
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts
Re: Is this legal...

As long as they pay for it and nobody complains. I'd assume that they have some sort of agreements with the publishers of the songs they publish

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Mar 2005, 17:52   #3
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

Ok, so another question, anybody had any experience with this type of site or do you all just use torrent for your every need?
Unread 12 Mar 2005, 17:59   #4
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It's almost a scam*, like that TV one (internettvstation.com):

From the FAQ:
What is inside the member's area?
You will find all of the latest tools for accessing the largest peer-to-peer networks on the planet. You will also find online tutorials making it easy for you install and learn the tools provided, a collection of tools that include video players (allow you to play the latest video files) access to an award winning support team, CD burning application and much, much more…

I thought the software was free. Why am I being asked to pay?
The software is free. You are paying for the online help and support and the online tutorials for the lifetime of the membership.

They just give you DL links to LimeWire and Soulseek and other bollocks, I bet.

* In that if you read the FAQ you find out you get nothing you can't get free.
Unread 12 Mar 2005, 18:08   #5
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

http://www.americamp3network.com/confused.htm

But look at those statistics! All those numbers!
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Mar 2005, 18:32   #6
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

Its hard to get your head around it really isn't it?
the moral of the story is, is there any way that is totally legal (and not a scam) to download music, be it for a fixed rate or for free?
Unread 12 Mar 2005, 18:47   #7
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Napster, MSN Music, EasyMusic, various others. They're generally all DRM protected WMP files which will cease to function if you cancel your subscription, though I don't know if there have been changes there. You can normally download a stream for about a penny a song, the track itself for some fee and rights to burn the song to CD for a little more. Some places like Warp Records' 'Bleep' service supply mp3 files for a fee per track/album. No DRM, but they're limited to bands they've signed so you're talking Boards of Canada and Aphex Twin with specific regard to Bleep.

Edit:
Ohyeah iTunes good save /o\
Unread 12 Mar 2005, 18:48   #8
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampire_lestat
Its hard to get your head around it really isn't it?
No.

Quote:
the moral of the story is, is there any way that is totally legal (and not a scam) to download music, be it for a fixed rate or for free?
iTunes is the most famous.
Unread 12 Mar 2005, 19:30   #9
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

I thought itunes charged per song, is there something similar with a flat charge and no limits (napster does the same thing doesn't it?)
Unread 12 Mar 2005, 19:34   #10
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society

http://www.allofmp3.com/

Russian, they have all the rights needed to sell that music in Russia (which afaik makes it legal to import it aswell).. works like a charm.
Unread 12 Mar 2005, 19:37   #11
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

Great. Is there something similar for films and/or games?
Unread 12 Mar 2005, 19:40   #12
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Why don't you just go to all the standard torrent sites and get it from them, instead of all this pussy footing around supposed grey areas?
Unread 12 Mar 2005, 19:41   #13
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

Because if I can do it legally I want to know about it.
Unread 12 Mar 2005, 20:45   #14
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Because if I can do it legally I want to know about it.
Downloading from that Russian site and something like Suprnova are of equal legality, you know.
Unread 12 Mar 2005, 20:51   #15
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

I'm fairly sure the russion site as at least a tie to legality, rather than torrenting, which is blatently illegal.
Unread 12 Mar 2005, 20:54   #16
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
I'm fairly sure the russion site as at least a tie to legality, rather than torrenting, which is blatently illegal.
No it isn't.
Unread 12 Mar 2005, 20:59   #17
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society

Even if you have some super-lawyer powers to manevour the niceties of import-laws effortlessy and does in fact know that's illegal while everybody else seems to be unconcluded; the fact remains that they are legal in Russia, and that you're very unlikely to get sued from downloading from them.

Much unlike torrents / etc these days...
Unread 12 Mar 2005, 21:09   #18
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyfe
Even if you have some super-lawyer powers to manevour the niceties of import-laws effortlessy and does in fact know that's illegal while everybody else seems to be unconcluded; the fact remains that they are legal in Russia, and that you're very unlikely to get sued from downloading from them.
I was talking about the illegality of the torrent sites you buffoon. If I was talking about the russian site I would have said "No it hasn't."

Quote:
Much unlike torrents / etc these days...
Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but to the best of my knowledge noone in Europe has been successfully sued. Not even the torrent site operators, even though it has been tried.

Now, scared as I am of the big giant corporation suing me for being a comparatively low level user (ie. I don't upload things to public torrent sites), I suspect that they're not only more likely to go after people who actually provide the things, but also going to run up against the brick wall of it not being illegal.
Unread 12 Mar 2005, 21:15   #19
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

Atleast here in Norway torrenting is blatantly illegal, downloading is allowed (for a couple of months more anyways before we implement the new EØS directive) but uploading isn't... and torrenting without uploading is slooow... anyways, I just imagined it was the same elsewhere..

Either way individuals have already been sued for using other filesharing services, so there's nothing new in that.
Unread 12 Mar 2005, 21:21   #20
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve

The spelling of which is ace.
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Mar 2005, 02:17   #21
olle
Newdawn ftw \o/

olle is infamous around these partsolle is infamous around these parts

torrents < free, no payment *thumbs up*
olle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Mar 2005, 02:34   #22
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

in Soviet Russia anything is legal for a price
Unread 13 Mar 2005, 18:31   #23
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

http://www.allofmp3.com ffs

A couple of notes about this site:

It's hosted in Russia. Russian copyright law only applies to physical media so it is breaking no law in Russia by distributing tunes over the internet. In fact, a case against it by the music industry in Russia has just been thrown out of court.
HOWEVER, there is a lot of pressure in Russia for the law to be changed, so it might not be around for much more than a year or so from now. Get it while it's good etc.

You pay for bandwidth allowance, not a track allowance, and most tracks can be downloaded in any format and bitrate you want and are encoded on the fly at the server from the full CDDA source. So you can have lots of lower quality tracks of a few high quality tracks.
The bandwidth is STUPIDLY cheap - $0.02/MB.

Last edited by meglamaniac; 13 Mar 2005 at 18:38.
meglamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Mar 2005, 19:48   #24
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri

But look at those statistics! All those numbers!

christ almighty, they can't even spell
Unread 15 Mar 2005, 20:17   #25
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
http://www.allofmp3.com/

Russian, they have all the rights needed to sell that music in Russia (which afaik makes it legal to import it aswell).. works like a charm.
downloading isnt importing.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Mar 2005, 20:37   #26
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
downloading isnt importing.
Downloading is importing, uploading is exporting.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Mar 2005, 20:43   #27
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'll export my fist to your face
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Mar 2005, 20:53   #28
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Unread 15 Mar 2005, 21:02   #29
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Insult-OTW nomination