User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 28 Nov 2002, 00:15   #1
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point
Question to Zeus

Ive read that Planetarion has been put up for sale, and there has been some companys who have seemed interested. You also wrote that "the bidding" has started.

So I ask: Is this bidding only on money, ie those who bids the most money wins, or is it taken into consideration what the company wants to do with Planetarion.
I actually think that creators have "debt" to the players of this game, and should (if it comes to it) take other things than money into consideration when the bidding comes (what is the company going to use PA for etc).
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 00:35   #2
Razorback
Eclipse High Command

Razorback has a spectacular aura aboutRazorback has a spectacular aura aboutRazorback has a spectacular aura about
will 5S also sell Userinformations gained over the previous rounds to companies ? so we all can exspect advertising mails to our emails and to our RL PO-Boxes, along with those lame sms and phone advertisings ?
-T&P slogan

Focht
T&P HC
Fury Exec
Eclipse CEO

Stan's muppet
Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 00:40   #3
Salomo
Commodore

Salomo is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Razorback
will 5S also sell Userinformations gained over the previous rounds to companies ? so we all can exspect advertising mails to our emails and to our RL PO-Boxes, along with those lame sms and phone advertisings ?

read the anouncement or at least the sticky thread on this topic in this forum before asking an allready answered question.

(the answer is no)

r1: n00b
r2: 7:11 - T7C HC, WaC(Jr), Sedition HC
r3: 31:25 - Sedition, Century, SL HC
r4: 95:21 - BlueTubas'
r5: 30:5 - BlueTubas, VtS
r6: 33:24:1 - Deus Ex Machina HC, politically retired
r7: 38:22 -> 26:11 - RaH peon
r8: 12:3:4 - Defended by 1:1
Salomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 00:46   #4
Zeus
True Gamer

Zeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the rough
Re: Question to Zeus

Quote:
Originally posted by G.K Zhukov
Ive read that Planetarion has been put up for sale, and there has been some companys who have seemed interested. You also wrote that "the bidding" has started.

So I ask: Is this bidding only on money, ie those who bids the most money wins, or is it taken into consideration what the company wants to do with Planetarion.
I actually think that creators have "debt" to the players of this game, and should (if it comes to it) take other things than money into consideration when the bidding comes (what is the company going to use PA for etc).
Creators or gamers are not what will decide whom Planetarion is sold too.

Im sure the investors want what they put into the game back...that logical. I can only guide what the owners should do and try and influence what the moral off keeping the game FOR the community. Beyond that, I have no power, Im afriad

But, the people interested in PA seriouly, from what I gather do realise the importance of the excisting community. This is all I can tell you Im afriad.

I hope this explains things, as I cant be more detailed so dont ask more on it pls.
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 00:48   #5
Salomo
Commodore

Re: Question to Zeus

Quote:

Why should the creators have a debt to the players? I don't doubt that they put more money into this than they gained and sacrificed part of their life for it. What debt would they have?

Imo if they have a debt at all it is to their own idea, to planetarion (and of course prolly to the banks), so they might owe their idea to not sell it out to some cheap i-net company that aims to use it for dubious purposes (e.g. marketing), but besides that if i was a creator i would clearly prefer the one that gets me out of all this with the least losses.

Unread 28 Nov 2002, 00:51   #6
Zeus
True Gamer

Zeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Oh please grow up and stop being stupid. We have never kept everyone information from all previous rounds so:
1. thats impossible.
2. illegal
3. totally against the ethics of this community
4. would be stupid, stupid and...erm....damn silly.

You think people would like all this spam? if so, go sign yourself upto those sites, otherwise stop your moaning about somthing which will never happen or do you have an agenda by doing so? Unhappy that Planetarion might continue? If so, dont pressure your opinions on other people who have different opinions that yourself or delte your account if you dont beleive your signup details is safe. Simple huh?
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 00:54   #7
Zeus
True Gamer

Re: Re: Question to Zeus

Quote:
Originally posted by Salomo

Why should the creators have a debt to the players? I don't doubt that they put more money into this than they gained and sacrificed part of their life for it. What debt would they have?

Imo if they have a debt at all it is to their own idea, to planetarion (and of course prolly to the banks), so they might owe their idea to not sell it out to some cheap i-net company that aims to use it for dubious purposes (e.g. marketing), but besides that if i was a creator i would clearly prefer the one that gets me out of all this with the least losses.
To some degree right, but creators dont have a say in who buys. Howver lets be realisitc, what company would make money out off spamming its subscribers, especially you guys When you are so i-net knowledgible and vocal? They would be mad too

As for money & debts....the only ones now are the creaotrs own from subsidising the lack of wages over past months to try and keep this going. But, if you think we are here for the money, then sadly you are very wrong.
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 00:58   #8
Salomo
Commodore

Re: Re: Re: Question to Zeus

Quote:
Originally posted by Zeus

Howver lets be realisitc, what company would make money out off spamming its subscribers, especially you guys When you are so i-net knowledgible and vocal? They would be mad too
actually that is something i have wondered about ever since that kind of companies came into existance. They must make money somehow though, otherwise there would prolly be a lot less mindless comercial spam.

Unread 28 Nov 2002, 01:01   #9
Zeus
True Gamer

Re: Re: Re: Re: Question to Zeus

Quote:

actually that is something i have wondered about ever since that kind of companies came into existance. They must make money somehow though, otherwise there would prolly be a lot less mindless comercial spam.
I would never even concider, nor do i think would the investors even if they are money minded, selling PA to such a company.

You think I would even talk to such a company? NO! But hey, perhaps you dont beleive me...fine, I cant change that attitude.
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 01:09   #10
Salomo
Commodore

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Question to Zeus

Quote:

I would never even concider, nor do i think would the investors even if they are money minded, selling PA to such a company.

You think I would even talk to such a company? NO! But hey, perhaps you dont beleive me...fine, I cant change that attitude.
oi oi oi, no need to get exited, i wasn't trying to attack you in any way, nor did i intend to accuse you of selling PA off to these "marketing" companies etc. I'm sure you will do your best to find a company that will carry Planetarion on as a game and keep the comunity pleased if that is possible (and from your reply here i even have the impression you're putting even more pressure on yourself in this than the comunity would/should/could).

get some sleep m8 and please reread my post tomorrow again. If you then still feel i'm trying to accuse you or the creators of anything (or trying to imply anything here) let me know and i'll edit my post so that not even the most paranoid could get that idea ;-)

Edited to add: Aside from this, and without trying to accuse you of anything, i would even consider it the right of 5s to sell PA even to one of those "marketing" companies as long privacy rights aren't infringed upon. I might moan and complain a bit, i would make fun of such a spamming-company, but i would never, not for a split second, doubt that it must have been a difficult decision or that 5s has the complete right to do so. But since this wont happen it's only hypothetical anyway, just felt the need to set this straight.

Last edited by Salomo; 28 Nov 2002 at 01:27.
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 01:21   #11
xtothez
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of
That isn't Zeus, it's someone else using his account.

There's a post up there with no spelling mistakes in.
!
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 01:43   #12
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

Quote:

I was more talking about a moral "debt", for lying to us, ruining our lifes, making us fail exams, for saying they have multi-tools, witch they dont have etc etc. Also some in this community have laid down alot of works (for instance those who mods this forum, the irc-opers, people like Grendel who made the graphics witch they never used and so on).
Last time I checked, Spinner made 410 000 NOK, so he wasnt doing to poorly.
Thats what Im talking about Salomo
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 01:50   #13
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

Quote:

Im sure the investors want what they put into the game back...that logical. I can only guide what the owners should do and try and influence what the moral off keeping the game FOR the community. Beyond that, I have no power, Im afriad

But, the people interested in PA seriouly, from what I gather do realise the importance of the excisting community. This is all I can tell you Im afriad.

I hope this explains things, as I cant be more detailed so dont ask more on it pls.
I was thinking if
company A says: we bid 100 dollars, and will put PA down, so it wont compete with out new online game.
Company B says: we bid 90 dollars, and we think pa is 1337 and will continue to run it.

Now clearly this is put on the egde.. but I think you get the idea.
So what I was asking for, is that company B is choosen..

Also, check my reply above to Salomo.
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 03:01   #14
HobbieRogue4
etc.

HobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I was more talking about a moral "debt", for lying to us,
Heh.

Quote:
ruining our lifes,
Personal choice, not theirs.

Quote:
making us fail exams,
Personal fault, not theirs.

Quote:
for saying they have multi-tools, witch they dont have
Proof (or lack thereof)?

Quote:
etc etc.
If you don't like it, don't pay for it.

Quote:
Also some in this community have laid down alot of works (for instance those who mods this forum, the irc-opers, people like Grendel who made the graphics witch they never used and so on).
Volunteer work, volunteer work, volunteer work, and so on.

Quote:
Our 'reward' for paying, volunteering, and playing Planetarion is Planetarion. Expecting anything more from the Creators is foolhearty.

The Creators owe us nothing.
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 03:14   #15
furssie
Spastic Drivel!

furssie can only hope to improve

Quote:

I was more talking about a moral "debt", for lying to us, ruining our lifes, making us fail exams, for saying they have multi-tools, witch they dont have etc etc.
I see. Your bitterness is because Planetarion destroy lives. Mate, that marks the tremendous success of the game, that's why it's one of the best online game ever.

Give the benefit of the doubt: The game isnt perfect, nothing and noone is, but 'We' had fun, we owe it to them. Remember, this game is free for 4 rounds.

Quote:

Also some in this community have laid down alot of works (for instance those who mods this forum, the irc-opers, people like Grendel who made the graphics witch they never used and so on).
mods, irc opers and gfx helpers are called volunteers.

400K NOK? Mate, Gross isn't Net. We all have no idea of the 'accurate' operations expense of running a customer oriented game company that runs 38 mill pages real time. Besides, why will they declare bancruptcy if that's what they earned.

Yes they did some crappy mistakes, but still....
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 03:24   #16
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

Dont rip my post out of its context. I wont even bother replying to either hobbie or fursie.

oh, and dont take anything 100% seriously, or read these forums as some read the bible, letter by letter..
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 04:46   #17
Ap0k
Spritely:

Ap0k is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
oh, and dont take anything 100% seriously, or read these forums as some read the bible, letter by letter..
in which case...

dont be a twat.

if u didnt like the game u didnt have to play
if it was "ruining your life" u didnt have to play
if u didnt like the system u didnt have to play

YOU CHOSE TO PLAY FFS. no point in coming here and complaining about **** that ur clearly only doing just to get a reaction.

just grow up and try looking at these things from a reality perspective.

fs
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 05:26   #18
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

Quote:
Originally posted by Ap0k

in which case...

dont be a twat.

if u didnt like the game u didnt have to play
if it was "ruining your life" u didnt have to play
if u didnt like the system u didnt have to play

YOU CHOSE TO PLAY FFS. no point in coming here and complaining about **** that ur clearly only doing just to get a reaction.

just grow up and try looking at these things from a reality perspective.

fs
learn to read your fuc**** moron/retard. GO AWAY TO YOUR CAVE
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 06:23   #19
Ap0k
Spritely:

apologies, that was more of a reply that suits the ppl who have been complaining/bitching/other at the creators saying how they have a "right" to be considered/involved in the sale etc.

i still however think you are wrong in that FSAS does, in fact, owe us nothing.
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 09:46   #20
Zeus
True Gamer

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Question to Zeus

Quote:

oi oi oi, no need to get exited, i wasn't trying to attack you in any way, nor did i intend to accuse you of selling PA off to these "marketing" companies etc. I'm sure you will do your best to find a company that will carry Planetarion on as a game and keep the comunity pleased if that is possible (and from your reply here i even have the impression you're putting even more pressure on yourself in this than the comunity would/should/could).

get some sleep m8 and please reread my post tomorrow again. If you then still feel i'm trying to accuse you or the creators of anything (or trying to imply anything here) let me know and i'll edit my post so that not even the most paranoid could get that idea ;-)

Edited to add: Aside from this, and without trying to accuse you of anything, i would even consider it the right of 5s to sell PA even to one of those "marketing" companies as long privacy rights aren't infringed upon. I might moan and complain a bit, i would make fun of such a spamming-company, but i would never, not for a split second, doubt that it must have been a difficult decision or that 5s has the complete right to do so. But since this wont happen it's only hypothetical anyway, just felt the need to set this straight.
In PM I have appoligised and now I'll do it in public. I was extremly tired last night and kinda pissed off reading some remarks on these forums. Sorry once again.
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 14:29   #21
The-Matrix
Shark

The-Matrix is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by HobbieRogue4

The Creators owe us nothing.
Spinner owes us a pic of him in a dress or did i miss that?
Rd5 27:3:5 Jack Quinn of The Colony, Embrace Catastrophe 239th
Rd 6 2:1:2 Sauron of Mordor #202, Gal of the Rings 33rd
Rd 7 31:1:2 James Bond of her majasties secret service , The Sharks 190th
Rd 8 4:5:7 Destination Unknown of Journey to Nowhere #152nd, Somewhere........ 55th
The-Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 14:33   #22
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally posted by The-Matrix

Spinner owes us a pic of him in a dress or did i miss that?
yes he does, you are right in that way.
but shall I remind you about the rumors that are going on here about spinner's leaving.

So no more spinner.
= no spinner in a sexy tutu either.
"Oh, wretched race of a day, children of chance and misery, why do ye compel me to say to you what it were most expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is for ever beyond your reach: not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. The second best for you, however, is soon to die". Silenus, tutor to Dionysos, speaking to King Midas.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 15:04   #23
The_Necromancer

What would a company do with the code for Planetarion unless they intend to put up a game in some form or another? I seriously doubt you will have a company come in and outbid everyone else just to get the code without any intention of using it. The code on its own is not that valuable.

I will also echo some of the posts that I have read here: 5S does not owe use anything. The money they made relative to the time they spent on this is a joke. I have written software before and believe me, it was sold for a lot more than what they made. Plus, if I even think that I would be without salary for even a week, I would have been long gone, community or not. So when I hear that 5S staff is not being paid and are still sticking around, I think it is admirable and well beyong the call of duty.

Thanks for the fun time, 5S, I really appreciate your effort. Good luck in your future endeavors.

The_Necromancer
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 15:17   #24
Zeus
True Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Necromancer
What would a company do with the code for Planetarion unless they intend to put up a game in some form or another? I seriously doubt you will have a company come in and outbid everyone else just to get the code without any intention of using it. The code on its own is not that valuable.

I will also echo some of the posts that I have read here: 5S does not owe use anything. The money they made relative to the time they spent on this is a joke. I have written software before and believe me, it was sold for a lot more than what they made. Plus, if I even think that I would be without salary for even a week, I would have been long gone, community or not. So when I hear that 5S staff is not being paid and are still sticking around, I think it is admirable and well beyong the call of duty.

Thanks for the fun time, 5S, I really appreciate your effort. Good luck in your future endeavors.

The_Necromancer
A single thankyou goes a long way....an insult is remembered a long time. The thankyou IS appreciated and wipes away about 100 insult memories. A simple explanation of some reasons for the creators lack in motivation. Perhaps better if I said nothing, but necromancer, seriously thankyou.
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 15:45   #25
Ap0k
Spritely:

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Necromancer

The_Necromancer
seconded.

when i last spoke to u zeus u explained how much of a "baby" this game was to u so i can only imagine how difficult it is to see so many negative responces on the forums. after r5 rounds of enjoyment and pretty much non stop action (cept for that ugleh stagnation business ) i cant honestly say i wont miss this game if it does, in the end, go down the drain. nor can i say that if i had the opportunity to go back and change anything i wud (well.. maybe the combat reports... damned defence). i am aware that u will do all u can to find a buyer who has the best intentions for the game but i also realise that at the end of the day, after putting so much personal funding/time/hair loss into this project that its understandable u will want a good offer. if id spent over 2 years of my life doing something id expect a decent return for it as well as it ending up in a "good home".

but best of luck for the future. i still have ur house number so u can expect calls informing you of upcoming events in belfast/dublin/anywhere else.

muhahahahahahahahaaaa

and thanks again.

Ap0k - still waiting for the sexy undies pics...
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 15:55   #26
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future

Quote:

I was more talking about a moral "debt", for lying to us, ruining our lifes, making us fail exams, for saying they have multi-tools, witch they dont have etc etc. Also some in this community have laid down alot of works (for instance those who mods this forum, the irc-opers, people like Grendel who made the graphics witch they never used and so on).

cant actually believe that someone still playing wrote that drivel i could understand if it was a retired player whingeing,

answer this question plz did someone from fifth season hold a gun to your head and make you play cause if they didn't you aint got a case and as for you failing exams the fact that you posted this drivel tells me that you are probably not smart enough to distinguish between the priorities you should have in life,

education>playing an online game

if you cant see this the n maybe you desererved to fail those exams

it is to spinner zeus and the rest of fifth season that we owe a debt to for continuing to provide this game even though it was not financially viable for them to do so.

PS if you flame this zhukov then you will have proved my point that you got your priorites mixed up

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 15:57   #27
Ap0k
Spritely:

Quote:
Originally posted by gzambo
some stuff not relavent to what im about to say
you also will be attending the upcoming meets }: )

just cuz i fkin say so
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 16:01   #28
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by Ap0k

you also will be attending the upcoming meets }: )

just cuz i fkin say so
only if u promise to bring that cutie with u and i dont mean hupa or zeus

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 16:02   #29
Ap0k
Spritely:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Question to Zeus

Quote:
Originally posted by gzambo

only if u promise to bring that cutie with u and i dont mean hupa or zeus
hell yeah. in fact. ill bring pints for everyone \/

(oh yeah.. and my gf too, berns can bring his sexeh n00 woman as well)

((spose we'd better take this to pm now ))
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 16:18   #30
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
With all that's going on and the apparent faint hint of a possible future for PA I'm thinking of all the sleep I've lost, all the arguments I've had, all the social life I've missed out on and it all adds up to one thing...

God I hope there is another round of this incredible game
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 23:08   #31
Razorback
Eclipse High Command

Razorback has a spectacular aura aboutRazorback has a spectacular aura aboutRazorback has a spectacular aura about
Quote:

Oh please grow up and stop being stupid. We have never kept everyone information from all previous rounds so:
1. thats impossible.
2. illegal

Im not taking your personal insult on a regular question, because in this case you are wrong.

First you say that you will sell the company to "someone" this someone might do with the 6k users what he likes and what he wishes.

In your second reply you make wrong statements either.
1) if it is impossible or not depends on 5S something i asked for
2) It isnt illegal, as your useragreement doesnt contain a "i want my data to be save and only for PA use" part. so infact you are legally allowed to sell my data to everyone u wish (thats why ppl used fake signups)
3) against ethics, i agree there 100% thats why i asked
4) stupid ??? erm u get per complete Userprofile about 1-3 € in some cases which means after maybe 3 rounds you have 20-50k profiles. do the math yourself, that aint stupid that is money.
So thanks for your insults, i was worried as a customer, something im clearly allowed 2 or am i not ? And i cant see a point why i should be personally insulted for asking a simple question directed at the company which provides a game for MY money. So please control your outbursts and slowly read what i typed, im my post there were no insults unlike in yours...
-T&P slogan

Focht
T&P HC
Fury Exec
Eclipse CEO

Stan's muppet
Unread 29 Nov 2002, 01:04   #32
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by xtothez
That isn't Zeus, it's someone else using his account.

There's a post up there with no spelling mistakes in.
!
He found the F10 Key.
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Nov 2002, 14:04   #33
Black_Doom_

Quote:

1) if it is impossible or not depends on 5S something i asked for
The database size would be huge! 180k players at its peak, thats a lot of records to 'store' around the place permantly

Quote:

2) It isnt illegal, as your useragreement doesnt contain a "i want my data to be save and only for PA use" part. so infact you are legally allowed to sell my data to everyone u wish (thats why ppl used fake signups)
Under the Data Protection Act, data can only be collected for your use. Even without the "i want my data to be save and only used for PA use", it still can ONLY used by Planetarion FOR Planetarion. That means no advertising. In my 4 rounds of playing PA, I have always filled in my real info and have yet to recieve a single piece of spam

Quote:

4) stupid ??? erm u get per complete Userprofile about 1-3 € in some cases which means after maybe 3 rounds you have 20-50k profiles. do the math yourself, that aint stupid that is money.
So thanks for your insults, i was worried as a customer, something im clearly allowed 2 or am i not ? And i cant see a point why i should be personally insulted for asking a simple question directed at the company which provides a game for MY money. So please control your outbursts and slowly read what i typed, im my post there were no insults unlike in yours...
hmm. You are stupid. *slaps*. Get a grip. Why the hell would anyone want to buy the details of a load of planetarion players. And they ain't worth that much. And again, there is no point in storing the infomation for that length of time!
Unread 30 Nov 2002, 14:09   #34
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Databases of POP email addresses are worth money, but only if you number them by the million. A DB of 10 million POP addresses would make you a profit, anything else is just loose change to the spammers.
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 30 Nov 2002, 18:36   #35
Yeh_of_Arcanum

Yeh_of_Arcanum is infamous around these partsYeh_of_Arcanum is infamous around these partsYeh_of_Arcanum is infamous around these partsYeh_of_Arcanum is infamous around these partsYeh_of_Arcanum is infamous around these partsYeh_of_Arcanum is infamous around these parts
Any1 replying to Zhukovs posts...remember this is game and u should prolly smile abit...Idiots.

And about Fochts posts...he actually got point there...and about Zeus...stay away from board fights atleast...u are too easy

2 of ur posts...

and

1. thats impossible.
2. illegal

Just laughing at ur 3 & 4 statements...

PA r5: 10:13:20 - Smudge the Ignored of Sect [Fury][Quha] - #11 - gal #4
SS r3: 1:16:18 - Kukko of Tunkio [O^O][Quha] - #2 - gal #7
MW r1: 1:44:10 - Yeh of Arcanum [Quha] - #1 - gal #1
PL r5: 43:5:2 - Dictator of This Galaxy [Cathexis][Quha] - #1 - gal #1
Speed PA r2 2:24:8 - Dictator of This Galaxy [T&P] - #10 - gal KIA
Yeh_of_Arcanum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Nov 2002, 19:18   #36
logamus

i dont belive for one second that fifth season employees went without pay. its just not realistic to think that they would work a job for any amount of time without pay. now explain to me where these "investors" came from. i thought the new servers and new pipe were done after chello cut off support and pa had to "go it alone". now we find out there were investors. do they really mean creditors seizing property? one of the main reasons we went p2p was to cover the costs of bad ass new servers and new bandwith, now we find out that investors had done all that and these guys still didnt get paid. i call bull**** on that. this is yet another ploy by these people to dupe the unsuspecting community. its sad that pa is gone and i will miss it, but its even sadder the way the creators handled it. i guess we can all look to the new football game in a week or two now that the "investors" have cut the dead weight.

oh and for hobbie

Quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
for saying they have multi-tools, witch they dont have
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proof (or lack thereof)?
i have 13 planets, 5 of them are in top 50 gals and one in the top 20. i had a whole gal last round and have multied since the day i started in round 3. they never had any intentions of catching multis, when it was free there were too many to bother with and when everyone started paying, what do they care, a multi was more money in their pockets.
Unread 30 Nov 2002, 19:56   #37
Fudge

Fudge is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by logamus
i dont belive for one second that fifth season employees went without pay. its just not realistic to think that they would work a job for any amount of time without pay. now explain to me where these "investors" came from. i thought the new servers and new pipe were done after chello cut off support and pa had to "go it alone". now we find out there were investors. do they really mean creditors seizing property? one of the main reasons we went p2p was to cover the costs of bad ass new servers and new bandwith, now we find out that investors had done all that and these guys still didnt get paid. i call bull**** on that. this is yet another ploy by these people to dupe the unsuspecting community. its sad that pa is gone and i will miss it, but its even sadder the way the creators handled it. i guess we can all look to the new football game in a week or two now that the "investors" have cut the dead weight.
We've had investors all the time. Planetarion was started by Spinner, Vish and me, three normal guys without any funds to spare, so we needed some cash to get it running initially. We never thought we'd need lots of money, so we went with some normal people as investors instead of venture capitalists. They've occationally put more money into the company, but since they don't have that much money, we've been forced to get by with little.

As for it being bull**** that we've gone without pay, I haven't seen a paycheck in over 4 months, and as such, I haven't been as involved in PA or FS as I used to. All the stuff that I have done, has been on my spare time, from home, when I'm not out looking for work.

I can guarantee you that the footie game won't be out in a couple of weeks as I haven't touched it in ages. We have no internet link, no kickass servers, and an office we'll be moving out of as soon as we can.
Unread 30 Nov 2002, 21:35   #38
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

/me hands Yeh a cookie, for getting the point!
Unread 1 Dec 2002, 04:36   #39
Baco
-= Plush Puppet =-

Baco is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't see the point of buying the game and not keeping it running Zhukov :P

r4 - 133:25:?? PTA
r5 - 35:7:?? MI/ViruS/NoS/PTA
r6 - 21:7:4 NoS/PTA
r7 - 21:4:12 NoS/PTA
r8 - 25:5:9 NoS / Titans & Plush / PTA
r9 - 24:2:7 Olympians / PTA
WC4 - 1:6:4 winner gal
r9.5 - 42:7:8 & 11:2:25 & 19:2:16 Olympians / PTA / Plush
r10 - XX:YY:ZZ RaH!
Baco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Dec 2002, 05:10   #40
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

Quote:
Originally posted by Baco
I don't see the point of buying the game and not keeping it running Zhukov :P
neither do I, but the logic of the corporate world isnt like us normal peoples..
Here in Norway, some rather small banks managed to lend a Enron-type company above 150million Euros.. Even the newspapers had written about it, and its problems&lack of worth, for a year!
Unread 1 Dec 2002, 12:09   #41
Black_Doom_

Quote:
i dont belive for one second that fifth season employees went without pay. its just not realistic to think that they would work a job for any amount of time without pay.
I believe if you recall they do have other jobs BECAUSE PA couldn't afford to pay wages

Quote:
now explain to me where these "investors" came from. i thought the new servers and new pipe were done after chello cut off support and pa had to "go it alone".
PA has always had 'investors' who have put money into PA in the vain hope of keeping it afloat. Hell, I remember something on the portal about some investors a while back. Its not new news ffs, you just need to read a bit more

Quote:
i call bull**** on that. this is yet another ploy by these people to dupe the unsuspecting community. its sad that pa is gone and i will miss it, but its even sadder the way the creators handled it.
You forget that PA was in debt before we went P2P. This has been one big struggle to recover from the first free rounds. And anyone who thinks the creators have not done the best they could for the past 2 years+, should be shot in the head and banned from all things Planetarion. How ungreatful can you be? If I was a creator, I would be upset by your last comment. You are a self centered SOB.

Quote:
i have 13 planets, 5 of them are in top 50 gals and one in the top 20. i had a whole gal last round and have multied since the day i started in round 3
Welll, you did try to save PA I suppose. Send me your co-ords and I shall inform a multi-hunter to delete every single one of your accounts. You disgust me. You are lower than low. You think you are SOOOO good, but you are not. You are just a kid. And now ofc you will try to *flame* me in order to make yourself feel better, but at the end of the day you know I am right

*Edited to include last paragraph... dam enter button! *
Unread 2 Dec 2002, 03:55   #42
logamus

at no time did the creators ever divulge these phantom investors. they did say they were looking for some, but never said they had any. they even went through great pains to get us to belive that they had to raise the price of p2p to buy new servers and a new pipe when chello cut them off. everyone flames the creators for every mistake they make but for some reason nobody wants to belive that we have been mislead once again. nobody ever believed that a round would start on time but now this far fetched story is gospel. all we heard about round after round was how they had no money and were doing this out of love, now they had second jobs? the story gets deeper and deeper in crap. and as far as the holier than thou crap involving multis, 98% of the community has either multied or had someone elses login at some point in their playing days so dont give me any crap. besides, you will never be able to report me because more than likely we will never see pa again.
Unread 2 Dec 2002, 16:46   #43
Spearhead
Beyond The Sun

Spearhead is an unknown quantity at this point
well multying is still a crappy way to be better then the rest....so you are still a ****head and all other who do it are also tits
and for flaming PA crew, " get a clue!!" i want to see you do what they have done for 2 years and then coome here and read what a retard like yourself has to say about something he has no clue about...get a life ! Mr. negative
Unread 2 Dec 2002, 19:37   #44
MeridianStar
Para Keet

MeridianStar is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Fudge
We've had investors all the time. Planetarion was started by Spinner, Vish and me, three normal guys without any funds to spare, so we needed some cash to get it running initially. We never thought we'd need lots of money, so we went with some normal people as investors instead of venture capitalists. They've occationally put more money into the company, but since they don't have that much money, we've been forced to get by with little.

As for it being bull**** that we've gone without pay, I haven't seen a paycheck in over 4 months, and as such, I haven't been as involved in PA or FS as I used to. All the stuff that I have done, has been on my spare time, from home, when I'm not out looking for work.

I can guarantee you that the footie game won't be out in a couple of weeks as I haven't touched it in ages. We have no internet link, no kickass servers, and an office we'll be moving out of as soon as we can.
There you are, summing up what everyone has been moaning about, THANK YOU! If everyone whining about the creators getting paid too much etc could take a look at this and see what the score is.

The fact, plain and simple, is that Fudge and Zeus have been working their butts off unpaid to try and keep this game alive with what little resources they have left. Even though it's going to cost them time when they could be looking for a job/working elsewhere, they've perservered. Appreciate this fact. End of story. Regardless of who buys Planetarion/takes it over, these people will always be the ones who made this community what it is, so at least be thankful for that. Don't hold grudges for a few bugs here and there. Nor is it our business to know who made financial investments into it. Case closed? (Probably not.)
[23:46] <Theamion> i still love you tho
[23:47] <Theamion> you mad scottish bint
MeridianStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Dec 2002, 21:53   #45
Mike

Mike is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
at no time did the creators ever divulge these phantom investors.

they did say they were looking for some, but never said they had any.
Information about the running of FS/PA is fk all to do with anyone but the shareholders and employees of Fifth Season

Quote:
they even went through great pains to get us to belive that they had to raise the price of p2p to buy new servers and a new pipe when chello cut them off.
If you're suggesting what I think you are then clearly you have no idea of:

1) how to run a business
2) how much high-end servers and parts actually cost
3) what inflation is

As I understand it FS was loosing money with the previous rounds, with the credit card problems etc,
Anyone who seriously believed that changes wouldn't have to be made to the p2p scheme is clearly mistaken.

Quote:
everyone flames the creators for every mistake they make but for some reason nobody wants to belive that we have been mislead once again.
ooooooooooh yeah, mislead your customers
that's:

1) illegal (in the UK at least, similar laws exist everywhere)
2) not gonna do any business any favours (paticually smaller ones such as FS - I'm speaking in terms of actual profit, not customer numbers)

Quote:
nobody ever believed that a round would start on time but now this far fetched story is gospel. all we heard about round after round was how they had no money and were doing this out of love, now they had second jobs?
Again, as I understand it, PA was created by Fudge, Vish and Spinner effectively AS a second job.
They've again had to go back to taking a second job just to be able to support their own families.

Quote:
and as far as the holier than thou crap involving multis, 98% of the community has either multied or had someone elses login at some point in their playing days so dont give me any crap. besides, you will never be able to report me because more than likely we will never see pa again.
twat.

Nobody ever said running a business was easy, if you won't take it from Fifth Season then take it from me;
My dad's been self-employeed for the last 12 years, RUNNING A BUSINESS IS NOT EASY, that said, I plan to start my own business once I've finished my degree.

Fudge, Spinner, Zeus, Oreo and anyone else who stayed on WITHOUT PAY have gone far beyond the "call of duty". With all the recent problems PA has been through anyone who wasn't attatched to the game and its community would have no doubt called it a day.

The fact that they've all stayed on as long as possible shows just how much of a commitment they have to the game.

Show some respect.

/me tips his hat to Fudge, Spinner, Zeus, Oreo et al for a job well done despite what's happening now.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 02:29   #46
logamus

flame me all you want, call me whatever names you want, sometime you will take off your rose coloured glasses and see what i am talking about. when spinner would announce a round would start on the 10th only 3 people would belive him and the rest woud all have threads/posts calling him a liar and a twat for making up excuses and having a poor plan thus causing the round to start on the 15th. now we have, in the very basic of senses, the same situation. we all knew pa was coming to an end but have been given a very elaborate and extremely unverifiable story about the actuall early demise. when were investors mentioned as the purchasors of equipment? we were told our p2p went for that. i just find it odd that we can be so brutally honest with our oppinions when it envolves the delay of a round, but when it comes to the end of the game, well we have to put our negativity away. please.
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 12:47   #47
Fudge

Fudge is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
when were investors mentioned as the purchasors of equipment? we were told our p2p went for that.
And it did. As I've said earlier in this thread, the investors we have aren't venture capitalists with millions. They're pretty normal people.

When Chello decided to cut costs and drop Planetarion, we suddenly needed to fund the running costs of an 8Mbit internet link (in Norway this is rather expensive) as well as cash for servers.

As for mentioning the investors earlier, frankly I don't see why we should've done that, as it's none of your business.
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 13:06   #48
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Quote:
Originally posted by Fudge
I don't see why we should've done that, as it's none of your business.
\o/

Beat me to that one. It's absolutely none of our business
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 13:54   #49
Razorback
Eclipse High Command

Quote:
Originally posted by Black_Doom_
The database size would be huge! 180k players at its peak, thats a lot of records to 'store' around the place permantly

Under the Data Protection Act, data can only be collected for your use. Even without the "i want my data to be save and only used for PA use", it still can ONLY used by Planetarion FOR Planetarion. That means no advertising. In my 4 rounds of playing PA, I have always filled in my real info and have yet to recieve a single piece of spam

hmm. You are stupid. *slaps*. Get a grip. Why the hell would anyone want to buy the details of a load of planetarion players. And they ain't worth that much. And again, there is no point in storing the infomation for that length of time!
Uhm sorry to say that but you my friend are an idiot.

First of all collecting user information is not that huge, you could store the infos quiet easily and the word "zip" comes to my mind, also alot of the rounds contain similar data as some ppl did play all time.

About the Planetarion for Planetarion part you are wrong here my friend. Because legally if you sell a business you company X and you sell of course the customers/users they can do with the whole project like they wish.
And what to do with the data ? are you a fool ? why did they make the checkboxes earlier "do you have a mobile do you have a nes do you have a playstation" ? because they had a internal bet running ? get a grip m8.
About your "i have never received a planetarion spam mail" you are also wrong, does anyone except me forget about the "the slammer" inceident or how this ****ty i-sell company was called who "sold" PS2's to Pa players on special deals ? wasnt that marketing with not game related products ? we havent seen more of it because it was a big chaos as the company went bancrupt before paying the money back or delivering products.

And in term of making money with something, you seem to have no clue about "values" of informations. Clearly an email address is not worth much, but on the otherhand where does all the spam mail come from if it wouldnt bring anything. In some computer-novels you can read and backup with facts that this spam mails are the most paying factor in the inet which keeps it still free, otherwise you would have to pay for nearly every site.

So please dont tryto tell me about things you seem to have no clue about.

On a sidenote my thread was not even wrote as an insult more like a question on what they will do. As this is a legal possibility.

P.S. no worth ? 10 cent per dataset gets a company from a tv-shop for that data btw. 180k * 10 cent ? /me slaps get back to your pink world, thats 18k $ something around that pa would bring as a whole, if sold right now, (the bids would be around 20k$)

P.P.S. you havent read yet that pa was a owned by a company called 5S who had paying investors ? and that paying investors could i.e. make a marketing analysis from the age and the occupancy of the players ? to evaluate a new game product they sell in the segment ? i.e. "the next game we produce should be for the agegroup of xy with the income of xy so the price must be around xy"

Thanks for your time
-T&P slogan

Focht
T&P HC
Fury Exec
Eclipse CEO

Stan's muppet
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 14:37   #50
Carpeia
a norteh -[LoCo]-

Carpeia has a spectacular aura aboutCarpeia has a spectacular aura about