User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Discussions

Unread 21 Jul 2003, 12:10   #1
Backbone
The one and only

Backbone is an unknown quantity at this point
The rise of the medium sized alliances

As several of the medium sized alliances (ND,VGN,ETY,ROCK) seem to have an extraordinary good round, I wonder why this happened? Are the bigger alliances falling apart or have the medium alliances all gained such an incredible amount of good players?

10 times mightier than 2001
Backbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 12:19   #2
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point
They recruited which can give you a lot of new members when there's a free round after a long time of payed rounds.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 12:20   #3
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society
Probably both, not to mention random rounds in general are good for the medium sized alliances... unlike private rounds they aren't as disadvantaged at start due to planetplacement now...
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 12:26   #4
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Re: The rise of the medium sized alliances

Quote:
Originally posted by Backbone
Are the bigger alliances falling apart
No, but they are dwindling. Big alliances only take established players with vouches etc, there are less of these with every round so the bigger alliances slowly shrink. Every time an alliance dies it gives an injection to the remaining ones but that can't go on for ever.
Quote:
or have the medium alliances all gained such an incredible amount of good players?
This moves on from my first point, we haven't taken in a mass of really good players but we HAVE gained a lot of pretty good ones. As I said in my end of round post, we didn't have many high scores (only 1 in top 150) but we had an average over our active memberbase (not giving you numbers but we'd fit in the in game alliance system next round...just) that put our average member score in the top 25% of the universe.

Additionally there were no mass powerblocks this round. That meant the bigger alliances were hitting each other as much as the second tier. Last round was a feeding frenzy for NARWEET and everyone else got demolished, this round the playing field was much more even
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 12:34   #5
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Re: The rise of the medium sized alliances

Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle29uk
No, but they are dwindling. Big alliances only take established players with vouches etc, there are less of these with every round so the bigger alliances slowly shrink. Every time an alliance dies it gives an injection to the remaining ones but that can't go on for ever.
No, they honestly are getting worse.
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 13:50   #6
Legator
Pr0nstar

Legator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to behold
Re: Re: Re: The rise of the medium sized alliances

Quote:
Originally posted by lokken

your 100% right, the question is if that is good or bad
Honoured to have been [1up] Member

VfL Bochum >*
Legator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 14:19   #7
Fifth_teletubbie
Commander etc

Fifth_teletubbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Ostraka: It's a Social Club with guns (and K-Y)
Fifth_teletubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 17:06   #8
The_Fish
ND

The_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to all
LDK, Dragons and Eclipse will probably be the best 3 alliances next round. LDK will still be known and feared (if they play), Dragons are still a somewhat unknown force for PA X and Eclipse are not as good as Fury. I think they are getting worse, but the real reason medium sized allies like ND did so well is that its a random round, so they didnt get cnutted due to stagnation.
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 17:56   #9
Provider
Smurf Forever

Provider is an unknown quantity at this point
Question is what happens when dragons really are acting like an alliance.. Meaning that their members can't be multi allianced like they are now.

The alliances they are in now will lose a lot of good members. (and with that some medium sized alliances will be the victim)

You're ND yourself fish. Who are you loyal too ?

-=Caliban [ND HC]=-

rnd 3: If I only could remember - GIA HC/TGS
rnd 4: [30:14:3] (smurfs) - Fury/TGS HC || rnd 5: [21:4:16] (gauls) - TGS HC / WPO
rnd 6: [1:2:4] (LotR) - WP HC || rnd 7: [22:8:9] - WP HC
rnd 8: [55:8:9] - WP HC || rnd 9: [11:10:8] - WP HC || rnd 9,5: [x:y:z] -
WP HC rnd 10,11,12 etc cant be assed anymore to write it down here.
rnd 35, 36. 37: ND

Proud to be a Wolf in [WolfPack]
Provider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 18:02   #10
The_Fish
ND

The_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to all
hey Cali. I left Dragons yesterday, to show my loyalty to ND. Left on good terms though, I still have the utmost respect for the sexiest people I've ever played with (/me licks Bibi and liz) but I am loyal to ND, I enjoy myself there more, and I can make more of a difference there than in Dragons.
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 18:24   #11
Provider
Smurf Forever

Provider is an unknown quantity at this point
If you did then I respect that..

However I do know that a lot will say that they "left" their battlegroup however in the end still will attack with them. So that nothing changes and they remain multi allianced

-=Caliban [ND HC]=-

rnd 3: If I only could remember - GIA HC/TGS
rnd 4: [30:14:3] (smurfs) - Fury/TGS HC || rnd 5: [21:4:16] (gauls) - TGS HC / WPO
rnd 6: [1:2:4] (LotR) - WP HC || rnd 7: [22:8:9] - WP HC
rnd 8: [55:8:9] - WP HC || rnd 9: [11:10:8] - WP HC || rnd 9,5: [x:y:z] -
WP HC rnd 10,11,12 etc cant be assed anymore to write it down here.
rnd 35, 36. 37: ND

Proud to be a Wolf in [WolfPack]
Provider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 18:33   #12
The_Fish
ND

I said from about a week into R9.5 that I would be leaving Dragons at the end of the round, I stuck to my word, no regrets. It will be harder to stay with BG's next round with the in built alliances.

I was one of 2 ND Dragons, I believe the other ND Dragon (berten) will leave ND before Round 10.
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 19:08   #13
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Re: Re: Re: The rise of the medium sized alliances

Quote:
Originally posted by Legator
your 100% right, the question is if that is good or bad
Bad if only LDK are maintaining the level. Plus, all alliances should seek to be competitive as possible. Anything below your best is just bad gameplaying.

There was no alliance outside LDK to 'fear' in r9.5 (though people were stupid and feared them too much) and that's not good enough to be honest.

Maybe it's good in the sense that people are taking the game are less seriously, although as you well know my galaxy was near under constant attack for weeks on end, so maybe I'm wrong.

Fact: there are many, many alliances from r6/r7 who would eat r9.5 for breakfast. The playing standard has decreased.
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 19:26   #14
The_Fish
ND

oh I forgot to mention earlier, the other reason ND had a good round is because I joined
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 19:29   #15
das_experiment

das_experiment is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The rise of the medium sized alliances

Quote:

There was no alliance outside LDK to 'fear' in r9.5 (though people were stupid and feared them too much) and that's not good enough to be honest.

Well , if all the people who joined ldk be4 this round, and throughout this round still is ldk next round, im adraid ldk will be too big to handle next round too.
das_experiment is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 19:31   #16
Maddix
Imposter?

Maddix is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: The rise of the medium sized alliances

Quote:
Originally posted by Backbone
As several of the medium sized alliances (ND,VGN,ETY,ROCK) seem to have an extraordinary good round, I wonder why this happened? Are the bigger alliances falling apart or have the medium alliances all gained such an incredible amount of good players?
No blocking at the start and very little later on + random round, simple really.

R2: XXV
R3: Æternals
R4: Fx9/Wolfpack
R5: Legion
R6: Legion BC
R7: Legion BC
R8: RaH BC
R9: RaH HC
Maddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 20:04   #17
dabult
Ark-miner wannabe

dabult will become famous soon enoughdabult will become famous soon enough
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The rise of the medium sized alliances

Quote:
Originally posted by das_experiment
Well , if all the people who joined ldk be4 this round, and throughout this round still is ldk next round, im adraid ldk will be too big to handle next round too.

Next round alliances are limited to 150 members though, and looking at various defences from LDK this round, I think its safe to say they have/had well over 500.

oh wait...its p2p in r10...nm then
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 20:15   #18
Legator
Pr0nstar

Legator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Bad if only LDK are maintaining the level. Plus, all alliances should seek to be competitive as possible. Anything below your best is just bad gameplaying.

Maybe it's good in the sense that people are taking the game are less seriously, although as you well know my galaxy was near under constant attack for weeks on end, so maybe I'm wrong.

Fact: there are many, many alliances from r6/r7 who would eat r9.5 for breakfast. The playing standard has decreased.
yea, indeed thats not good that there was noone next to ldk.

but also was it good to have fury and legion ? i mean good for the game ? they teamed up and twatted the rest.

besides those two there were never a real opposition. ok xanadu but those alone couldnt to much.

maybe its just all the same only that the names changed ?

after all, all is shrinking thats the main prob and root of all bad things.

VfL Bochum >*
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 20:39   #19
hAl
ensign forever

hAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these parts

Quote:

If you look at the list of people who went to play for LDK last round ( the non lithauanians) it was clear they were all extremely experienced and mostly fairly good or excellent players from a whole bunch of alliances. Especially from r9 losers block vvomm. Many wanted some revenge on Eclipse and ToT and easily got that. If they all stay with LDK they will still be a force in PAX even though some will be leaving PA.

hAl
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 21:10   #20
Aaranaf
[=V=] Executive

Aaranaf is an unknown quantity at this point
the old BIG alliances are no longer BIG anymore because the community size has also decreased. and i tihnk its been seen that alliances with 250 members arent as efficient as they used to be.

so with the old big alliances cutting back memberbase for a tightknit "elite?" core, it leaves room for others to go elsewhere.

some also see it as fun to watch a growin alliance use its potential and eventual make its way to the top.
Former Eclipse Planetarion Military Officer
-Forever Lurking on the Darkside-

Round 10.5- 22:8:6 [ViruS]Playmates[Urwins] #1 Galaxy
========================
O' Canada!
Aaranaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 21:43   #21
SpazMonster
No, really...

SpazMonster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
More directly I'd say they are getting lazier. Less and less people are wanting to spend 3 months with something that might as well be a 2nd job (sans the pay) just to say 'look at my cool planet and alliance'.
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 22:46   #22
Smurfeh
lol troll lol

Smurfeh is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Re: Re: Re: The rise of the medium sized alliances

Quote:
Originally posted by SpazMonster
More directly I'd say they are getting lazier. Less and less people are wanting to spend 3 months with something that might as well be a 2nd job (sans the pay) just to say 'look at my cool planet and alliance'.
My thoughts exactly, the PA as a whole hasn't changed much and so once the bigger alliance's get to the stage they are now the HC/officers get lazier as well as the members, my guess is that in r10 we could possibly see them improving with new tactics/new features.
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 23:42   #23
Scouse
[F.E.A.R.]

Scouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by The_Fish
LDK, Dragons and Eclipse will probably be the best 3 alliances next round.
There might be new alliances next round capable of competing with these 3, and competing won't be so one dimensional either.

But if nothing changed, you'd be right.

Quote:
The playing standard has decreased.
For this round it did as some people took it less seriously and some members took time off, or put in less effort. I don't agree that overall the playing standard has decreased.
"And when people tell me what is ok and what is not it should not be an unexpected scene seeing I extend my middle right hand digit and say: 'Eyy, would you like lemon or lime with that piece of advice, mister?'"

Funny Film Reviews :: SWOS
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jul 2003, 23:46   #24
Jackal2112

Jackal2112 is infamous around these partsJackal2112 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
after all, all is shrinking
pervert. not all is shrinking. it goes on and off (shrinking and swelling) occasionaly :eek:
Unread 22 Jul 2003, 00:10   #25
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Playing standards have been falling at an alarming rate since Round 6. Other than LDK there are no elite alliances around anymore which are capable of running a well oraganised and sustained campaign. The main reason for the fall in big alliance standards is due to the fall in the number of good BCs, the lame attempts to take LDK down this round proved that.

Last edited by Hicks; 22 Jul 2003 at 00:16.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jul 2003, 00:26   #26
lokken
BlueTuba

Quote:

but also was it good to have fury and legion ? i mean good for the game ? they teamed up and twatted the rest.

besides those two there were never a real opposition. ok xanadu but those alone couldnt to much.

maybe its just all the same only that the names changed ?

after all, all is shrinking thats the main prob and root of all bad things.
It was good in the sense that they've set standards for alliances to live up to. Their teaming up set the balance in their favour, they've only failed to win one round together (r6) and that's because the universe was hell bent to attack them (insert random Deus attention whoring sentence here).

The main problem is exactly what you describe. This game doesn't need overhauls etc it needs publicity. It needs to be cheap, simple and attract new players. Even maybe as simple as r3/4. In a 50k + universe the game would be far more open, I certainly wouldn't have had people attempting to bash me day in day out.

As for Scouse's point, just read Hicks post. I mean try to take out a bigger enemy by attacking one planet (especially when its LDK). wtf?
Unread 22 Jul 2003, 06:28   #27
Legator
Pr0nstar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The rise of the medium sized alliances

Quote:
It was good in the sense that they've set standards for alliances to live up to. Their teaming up set the balance in their favour, they've only failed to win one round together (r6) and that's because the universe was hell bent to attack them (insert random Deus attention whoring sentence here).

The main problem is exactly what you describe. This game doesn't need overhauls etc it needs publicity. It needs to be cheap, simple and attract new players. Even maybe as simple as r3/4. In a 50k + universe the game would be far more open, I certainly wouldn't have had people attempting to bash me day in day out.

indeed, maybe even 50 k arent needed.

remember a paid round with 15 k planets, i mean real planets not like r9,5.

with the old system of the 4 races. (well wont blame the new pa before ive seen it).

simple etc and maybe if u have good multihunters (which work all round) you can win a few planets each rounds.

new alliances would arise etc. but an universe with 3 k planets isnt fun. people get quickly roided, lose motivation. quit

VfL Bochum >*
Unread 22 Jul 2003, 08:33   #28
Silva baby
sexy honky chic

Silva baby is an unknown quantity at this point
i think alot of oldtimers might think that rd 3. 4 and 2 were the funnest rounds of PA as well. The mechanics haven't changed much just the ppl playing imo

Ex-Silver BC
Forever in Elysium

i have [FAITH] in myself, [FAITH] in my galaxy, and [FAITH] in my alliance
do you?

[FAITH][SILVER]
Silva baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jul 2003, 09:02   #29
-QS-
nub since 2002

-QS- is an unknown quantity at this point
The "rise" (show me they guys in top100 from those allies ;p) of the smaller alliances can be explained by the small interests of R9-dominating alliances and their small aim just to have fun lead to only half of their members really playing. In addition ofc, the member theirself wanted some recreation and didnt take it any serious...
Unread 22 Jul 2003, 10:06   #30
AlbinoSquirrel
power of evil

AlbinoSquirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The playing standard has decreased.
The playing standard has increased. It's the the standard of the actual players that has decreased.

Ω
AlbinoSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jul 2003, 10:27   #31
DJet
Wearer of The Hat

DJet is a jewel in the roughDJet is a jewel in the roughDJet is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by -QS-
(show me they guys in top100 from those allies ;p)

#20 Rock
#33 Templar
#44 ND
#48 Templar
#94 Templar (doesn't really count, Dragons as well)

Edit: ETY was in the original topic as well so:

#25 EnTitY
#83 EnTitY
Unread 22 Jul 2003, 10:34   #32
Scouse
[F.E.A.R.]

Quote:
Originally posted by AlbinoSquirrel
The playing standard has increased. It's the the standard of the actual players that has decreased.
I don't think that, either. The playing standard has increased (this bit I agree on), as in, more people (% wise) are playing 'professionally' than ever and so competition is harder.

lokken and Hicks are right in the sense that perhaps the command members aren't as good anymore, but like I said this round is different, lots of people taking breaks and alliances not putting in as much effort. But some of the decisions from supposed 'elite alliance' command members from this round have been nothing short of laughable.

It is the command that runs alliances (obviously), if they are crap the members can't do anything to change that without leaving.

There is probably less 'exceptional' players, but that's bound to happen when there is less people about, but the basic member standard has been the same from round 6 ish, for the entire game.
"And when people tell me what is ok and what is not it should not be an unexpected scene seeing I extend my middle right hand digit and say: 'Eyy, would you like lemon or lime with that piece of advice, mister?'"

Unread 22 Jul 2003, 13:33   #33
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Scouse
There might be new alliances next round capable of competing with these 3, and competing won't be so one dimensional either.
I'm sure there will be other alliances around that can compete with the 3 above mentionned alliances.

rgds Kj

FAnG Founder | CEO/HC | Ex Gaming Community Senate
Furious Angels Gaming community

FA Gaming community

No need for a disclaimer ...
Kjeldoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jul 2003, 14:31   #34
-CP-
SHW

-CP- is a jewel in the rough-CP- is a jewel in the rough-CP- is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I don't doubt that, but I think it can just as well be out of boredom, as lack of skill..

PA is after all not a increadibly complicated game, and I have serious doubts that the players have become so much worse in a couple of rounds..
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

SHW, ReBorn, Wolfpack, NoS, Eclipse, Ascendancy
-CP- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jul 2003, 14:35   #35
-CP-
SHW

-CP- is a jewel in the rough-CP- is a jewel in the rough-CP- is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by Hicks
Playing standards have been falling at an alarming rate since Round 6. Other than LDK there are no elite alliances around anymore which are capable of running a well oraganised and sustained campaign. The main reason for the fall in big alliance standards is due to the fall in the number of good BCs, the lame attempts to take LDK down this round proved that.
I am not sure I agree. I agree with the fact that many good BC's have left the game, but I think LDK got an easy win in part because many "elite" players saw r9.5 as a break, more then a real round. I could be wrong of course.

I still think that PA can never be the same as it was. I think a lot changed when Fury/Legion dissapeared. Yes they where hated by many, but they also seemed to keep people on their toes in the constant battle to throw Furgeon from their thrown..
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

SHW, ReBorn, Wolfpack, NoS, Eclipse, Ascendancy
-CP- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jul 2003, 15:24   #36
Ferox

Ferox is an unknown quantity at this point
The old farts' discussion about how good it was back in their time again. So nice
Unread 22 Jul 2003, 17:47   #37
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Zh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by Ferox
The old farts' discussion about how good it was back in their time again. So nice
Better than your drivel.

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Inquisitorial Lord Protector of His Emperor's Glorius Empire
[20:19:04] <mazzelaar> I have to say a big up to Zhil - without those 8 def calls you covered we would've been screwed. | r12 End Ceremony
Zh|l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jul 2003, 11:47   #38
AlbinoSquirrel
power of evil

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The rise of the medium sized alliances

Quote:
lokken and Hicks are right in the sense that perhaps the command members aren't as good anymore, but like I said this round is different, lots of people taking breaks and alliances not putting in as much effort. But some of the decisions from supposed 'elite alliance' command members from this round have been nothing short of laughable.

It is the command that runs alliances (obviously), if they are crap the members can't do anything to change that without leaving.

There is probably less 'exceptional' players, but that's bound to happen when there is less people about, but the basic member standard has been the same from round 6 ish, for the entire game.
It's not just this past round.

There has been a constant decline in alliance dedication, on the average level, since the earliest rounds. Rather than grabbing zealous and dedicated players, most alliances are content to keep the ones they have, even when they stop playing at the level needed to keep an elite alliance at that level.

I only really started to notice it around round 8, though R7 should have been a tipoff. I know it's rather pointless to argue the point with you, Captain Titans, but I know that a truly dedicated Fury would have wiped the floor with you and LDK together. Another amusing corollary is that the rise of powerblocks coincided with the lessening of the dedication of alliance membership and leadership. Rather than work hard, get more allies. Then there's the battlegroup thing, which just further dilutes the alliance membership...

It's just a shame that this game requires your soul in order to keep your alliance at the top.

&Omega;
Unread 23 Jul 2003, 12:20   #39
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by Ferox
Handing LDK their asses every round was quite a good laugh.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jul 2003, 13:08   #40
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute
lot

Quote:

It's just a shame that this game requires your soul in order to keep your alliance at the top.
it is indeed a shame that there is soo much required from a player these days. and I also agree that a dedicated Fury would probably wipe the floor with any alliance that has existed in these 9 rounds. But I wouldn't state that the alliance standards have dropped that much. Ofc it's undeniable that the overall standard has dropped a bit but there are very simple reasons for that.

The most obvious reason is the reducing number of players we see playing PA. Alot of the old guard left PA and there simply aren't enough new players to keep a steady playerbase.

Another reason, imo, is that there simply are like twice asmuch alliances then there were in the past. And with that I mean dedicated alliances. We also see BG's who lately seem more popular then alliances itselves.
Fact is, pple aren't that loyal anymore then in the early rounds. Pple now pledge loyalty to their alliance, to their P and C alliance, to their BG and stuff like that.

And a 3th reason is the powerblocking ofc. If an alliance wants to simply win a round on its own (and I don't mean LDK r9.5) then it has to make sure that it simply has the best players and most dedicated players in PA.
When you play in a block, then numbers and tactics are more important then purely good players.

nway, that's my opinion about all this.

FA Gaming community

Unread 23 Jul 2003, 14:03   #41
clau777
Romanian Warrior

clau777 can only hope to improve
Unhappy :P

alliances aren't what they used to be....and in rnd10 the big ones will suffer a lot cuz of spinner`s idea of having 150members /alliance ... getting back to the point... if medium/small alliances merge ...the actual big alliances will...go down ?

Victuri Te Salutant

ex: glx/legion/eclipse/daous dava
current: random
clau777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jul 2003, 15:28   #42
Scouse
[F.E.A.R.]

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The rise of the medium sized alliances

Quote:
I know that a truly dedicated Fury would have wiped the floor with you and LDK together.
"I know my dad would wipe the floor with your dad."

Unread 23 Jul 2003, 16:12   #43
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The rise of the medium sized alliances

Quote:
maybe because alby's dad isn't a member of the WorldWide Wresting Federation?

rgds Kj

FA Gaming community

Unread 23 Jul 2003, 22:56   #44
AlbinoSquirrel
power of evil

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The rise of the medium sized alliances

Quote:
Like I said, pointless to argue with you about it. Fury was a shadow of its former self after round 4, no matter what they all tell you. If Fury in any of the later rounds had the same motivation and competent leadership (in the form of an active and willing Sid) as we did in R2+3...well, draw your own conclusions.

Bleh, but leaving you to draw your own conclusions about this topic is like handing a blowtorch to a blind man and saying "be careful"...

&Omega;
Unread 24 Jul 2003, 09:20   #45
Ferox

Ferox is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Zh|l
Better than your drivel.
Same level actually.

My grandmother beats Hick's dad too.
Unread 24 Jul 2003, 09:49   #46
Master
Time Lord

Master is an unknown quantity at this point
Lets just wait and see what happends this round
Unread 27 Jul 2003, 22:05   #47
Illegal E
Rock Head of High Council

Illegal E is an unknown quantity at this point
purposes in life

Quote:
Originally posted by -QS-
The "rise" (show me they guys in top100 from those allies ;p) of the smaller alliances can be explained by the small interests of R9-dominating alliances and their small aim just to have fun lead to only half of their members really playing. In addition ofc, the member theirself wanted some recreation and didnt take it any serious...
heh, *playing* for any other reason than fun sounds pretty unhealthy to me, to be honest. Doing well is nice, winning is even nicer, but there's a point where the price becomes too high, and it's up to every individual as well as his alliance to determine where that point is exactly.
Unread 27 Jul 2003, 22:42   #48
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Hicks
The main reason for the fall in big alliance standards is due to the fall in the number of good BCs, the lame attempts to take LDK down this round proved that.
Utterly correct.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jul 2003, 17:16   #49
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future
whereas previously the mid-sized alliances were swamped by the sheer numbers of the larger alliances , as each rd progressed they have learnt to adapt and even compete with the bigger alliances while the bigger alliances have grown lethargic and stale because they are win based and not community based as most of the mid-sized alliances are

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jul 2003, 05:48   #50
K-W
Bored

K-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The rise of the medium sized alliances

Quote:
Like I said, pointless to argue with you about it. Fury was a shadow of its former self after round 4, no matter what they all tell you. If Fury in any of the later rounds had the same motivation and competent leadership (in the form of an active and willing Sid) as we did in R2+3...well, draw your own conclusions.

Bleh, but leaving you to draw your own conclusions about this topic is like handing a blowtorch to a blind man and saying "be careful"...
While I do agree with you for the most part, Later round Fury was a different beast, you cant really argue with the fact that they were still the dominant alliance in the game. And in rounds 5-7 there was no significant decrease in performance from rd 2+3 Fury, simply a shift in structure and makeup that we all could see was leading to what occured in round 8 and more so what would have occured had Fury not retired when they did. Then again I would imagine that if Fury would have stayed it would have had to change alot and I would trust that it probably would have done so and come out to be better than any alliance currently in the game.
Conspiracy Theory, Wrath, 1up, ICD, Eclipse
K-W is offline   Reply With Quote