User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 24 Dec 2004, 19:13   #1
blah

blah is infamous around these parts
Suprnova is dead and I'm happy

Finally a win for the good guys

The illegal file sharing site suprnova.org has been shutdown.
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor..._suprnova_dc_6
Illegal file sharing is tantamount to theft so we should be glad this online piracy site is finished.
blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Dec 2004, 19:20   #2
Zword
more then you can ever be

Zword is infamous around these partsZword is infamous around these partsZword is infamous around these partsZword is infamous around these partsZword is infamous around these partsZword is infamous around these parts
Re: Suprnova is dead and I'm happy

So? There will always be/come another wannabe supernova thingy. There is no stopping it MUWAHAHA
(20:55:52) (@w2k) if registrations are disabled how did spinner sign up :\
(20:56:29) (@w2k) spinner isnt cool anymore

(06:41:50) (Shai-gar) Add meaple to Your Ignore List
(06:42:00) (Ghosteh) why?
(06:42:24) (Shai-gar) i dislike the ****
(06:42:37) (Ghosteh) heh

/me likes meaple <3
Zword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Dec 2004, 19:22   #3
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of

How can a guy that is paid to lead the MPAA anti piracy division say p2p'ers are "parasites leeching off the creative activity of others."

That is so stunning.
Unread 24 Dec 2004, 19:26   #4
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

if by "good guys" you mean a massive faceless corporate identity which makes millions of dollars a year profit then yes

it is indeed a 'win'

not that it means much. the 'war' is far from over and inevitably filesharing will 'triumph'
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Dec 2004, 19:30   #5
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of

Ehhm JJ now that I see yuor sig etc... Wasn't flashing ads considered a no-no?
Unread 24 Dec 2004, 19:35   #6
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

its called admin abuse. and its also been there for a considerable length of time (try erm....a year nearly)
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Dec 2004, 19:37   #7
Sunday8pm
Banned

Sunday8pm is an unknown quantity at this point

It isn't piracy they are trying to conquer, it's the fact that there is no profit being made by this new technology fad called p2p.

They already killed napster so they could successfully launch I-pod and it's various other music selling sites... they are merely trying to kill bittorrent and it's clones purely so people will start paying for an 'official' torrent that they'll make.

They aren't interested in fighting piracy, they are just interested in corporatizing a new business opportunity in the sharing of movies/videos. They'll make us pay to host movies/shows etc for other's to download off of us that they are paying for.

Or does anyone not see that?
Sunday8pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Dec 2004, 19:46   #8
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday8pm
Or does anyone not see that?
You seem to be arguing "They're not interested in fighting piracy...they're interested in fighting piracy!" which seems a banal truism. The thing they want, ultimately, is profit. They believe the only way keep this profitability is to maintain a rigid control of the distribution of their products. By shutting down Suprnova they are trying to protect their IP. Yes, future distribution channels are part of this. But they are trying to defend their profitibility right now too. So yeah you're right, but you're also stating the obvious.

And as to the original poster : Either banned for trolling or get a clue plz.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Dec 2004, 20:04   #9
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little

In the spirit of the above line, "And you are who?"
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Dec 2004, 20:05   #10
Embroglio
a new low in getting high

Embroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

there are loads of other sites just as good, as well as dozens of private trackers that are even better, suprnova going down really doesn't make much difference at all.
I want you by my side.

We’re hitting a new low.
Embroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Dec 2004, 20:24   #11
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

all blah's other posts were in this thread over a year ago. And yes, it's an anti-filesharing thread, the sad twat.
1-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Dec 2004, 20:29   #12
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

For everyone they kill, two more will spring up in its place.

Shame but hardly the end of the world there's several other just as good torrent sites out there.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Dec 2004, 20:30   #13
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-X
all blah's other posts were in this thread over a year ago. And yes, it's an anti-filesharing thread, the sad twat.
Probably someone elses troll account.
Unread 24 Dec 2004, 20:33   #14
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

Or the RIAA trying to find out if we hold eachothers' files behind the bikeshed.
Unread 24 Dec 2004, 21:55   #15
I am Idler
This is bat country

I am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I'd like to see them close Piratebay, hah!

also, blah, do you really believe that movies/artists/game-developers who'se games are being torrented are either losing money or not making a cash surplus on their projects?

the "issue" is not that piracy is destroying business, the claim is that piracy is stopping them from making MORE millions of dollars. pure and simple.

but on another note: the account "blah" is probably hired by the RIAA or the MPAA or any other various anti piracy organization that fully believes that this is actually a just casue, to spread anti-torrent propaganda.

but let me tell you this you ****nut, I torrent several gigs every day, music, movies, games, the lot.
and still, what I like, I buy.
What I dont like.. I dont buy.

So basicly, no money lost.. but its not like piracy will ever be conquered and its not like the record lables and various other insitutions will ever have to only buy 5 ferraris a week compared, compared to the 150 they can currently buy.

did you know that a average english football player makes £10k a week?
I suggest you start a usefull battle against overpaid sportsmen, hunder in Kenya, America, PETA, or freckles. And not fat internet kids who download stuff for a moments entertainment.

but for a final note: torrentsites arent illegal, they're just a third party that cant be held legally responsible for the fileshatring itself, amazingly to what everyone else believes.
Unread 24 Dec 2004, 22:32   #16
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
Finally a win for the good guys

The illegal file sharing site suprnova.org has been shutdown.
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor..._suprnova_dc_6
Illegal file sharing is tantamount to theft so we should be glad this online piracy site is finished.
As a long standing 'thief' I take exception to your suggestion we all should be glad of the disappearence of Suprnova. Why are you so pleased that a website dedicated to sharing of copyright files, admittedly free of charge' when there are others making money for doing the same thing ? They are the ones that are stealing. (www.suprnova.com , www.suprnova.net to name but 2)

A lot of the films I have downloaded and watched have been utter shite and if I had paid money to see them at the cinema I would have been very unhappy about being ripped off. The Day After Tomorrow and Fahrenheit 9/11 spring to mind. Lots of hype but nothing of substance. The decent films I have downloaded I have bought on DVD thus boosting the profits of the people who are busy letting you blow them for free.

Instead of jumping all over their grave, improve your product and MAKE people want to pay money.

File sharing is a reaction to the greed of film and music companies attempting to give us the consumer shit.

~Vaio~

Down to 2 cans of Guinness

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Dec 2004, 22:32   #17
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Oh and Blah, you are a TWAT !

~Vaio~

Yes, I know he is dead !
Unread 24 Dec 2004, 23:19   #18
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve

http://www.thepiratebay.org/
http://www.btefnet.net/
http://www.torrentreactor.to/
http://www.torrentazos.com/
http://oink.me.uk/
http://www.bi-torrent.com/
http://www.elitetorrents.org/
http://www.lokitorrent.com/
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Dec 2004, 23:24   #19
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve

Btw, blah, why don't you try to conque warez sites? They're offering software that's worth £500+ to millions of people yet you're going WOOHOO for stopping a £1/£2 single - £8 (yes, £8 albums online now) free alternative? WELL CALL ME BUSH I'VE SAVED THE WORLD

The amount saved by suprnova closing down = 100 warez software downloads - in other words, WORTH SQUAT ALL. Idiots these days, think they know it all

And in the event of a MCPAA monkey stepping on my door-step, I have 2 large 128 disc holding cases verifying I own everything on my PC - ah well
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Dec 2004, 23:45   #20
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

i think i wouldn't even download anything if tv-station would just stream it into the net. i'd probably even watch the commercials. My problem is that i don't want to watch that translated crap they show on television anymore. For TV-shows is VERY bad, because they don't put any effort at all into it, but since i started watching everything in english even movies don't work anymore. The only exception was Life of Brian which was a big dissapointment for me when i watched it in the original for the first time a few weeks ago.

This is not on the topic, is it?
Unread 25 Dec 2004, 00:43   #21
melandron
Brain Overload

melandron is an unknown quantity at this point

personally i believe what needs to happen is that the RAA et al. Need to wake up and realise they can't stop this revolution in the way that things will be distributed and instead find a way to embrace it.

Targeted taxation policies on internet providers (proportional of course) that end up going towards the creative outputs of the material being traded. There have also been many studies (it's christmas eve and i am drunk so forgive me if i don't provide extensive lists) on how other means can be used to fund creative output that is unaffected by how the media is traided and transfered.

It's time for the big publishers to start living in the digital age and start pushing for meaningful legislation that dosen't mean that the little guy is made the criminal but that ways are found to harmonise technology and culture,.

my drunken 2p
Unread 25 Dec 2004, 01:32   #22
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

I'm with Melandron. TV as we know it is dead. They need to adjust to reality

~Vaio~

f'k no guinness. Only the Export left.

Yes, I know he is dead !
Unread 25 Dec 2004, 01:59   #23
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaio
Oh and Blah, you are a TWAT ! And a Merry Christmas.
Unread 25 Dec 2004, 12:33   #24
Ebany
Cute Kitten

Ebany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of light

There was an artice on the BBC NEws site a bit ago about how someone is developing a means to use torrents and filesharing in general as a means of distributing files and still making people pay. I havent a clue how it would work,but they will certainly want to kill free file sharing before trying to get this new thing off the ground.
Ebany is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Dec 2004, 13:02   #25
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Although I understand that downloads seem to directly affect sales, I'm convinced that they result in more profit.
A lot of content found on these websites is unknown to a lot of the public. Most trailers of movies found on these websites aren't even shown on TV here. Most games on those trackers I have never heard of. The result of your content being on a well-known tracker is that your product gets better known among the public.
The most obvious result of downloading is a fall in direct sales (of movie tickets, DVD sales). However, no one accounts for the more people that know about the product, thus the more potential buyers of the product.

And that's where I believe the crap hits the fan for the most commercial makers of these products. The effect of traditional marketting is diminished because even if you do not market your product, it will get known to most of the potential buyers through these trackers. So the lesser-known product, will have the same potential buyer base as the well-known product. It will have equal chances of being bought. So now it boils down to only one thing: quality.
So if Hollywood makes another shit movie, it doesn't matter how much marketting they throw against it. Most of the potential buyers will know it's a crap movie even before they set a foot in the cinema.

Having a successfull product means having a better product, the only product or a better known product.
In the case of movies, there are plenty of movies around, so you don't have the only product.
With the rise of P2P the effect of having a better-known product is diminished.
So that only leaves quality.

Perfect control over the distribution of the product in order to restore the position of traditional marketting. That is what I think those associations try to achieve with their attacks on P2P. I believe the associations are affraid that they can not guarantee the quality in the future and that they might start to lose their currently dominant position in their industry.

But hey, who cares?
BTW, the marketting 101 series on GameDev.net are
Unread 25 Dec 2004, 13:30   #26
Embroglio
a new low in getting high

Embroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

SI that was a fantastic post, although the hollywood marketing still gets the better of most people here
I want you by my side.

We’re hitting a new low.
Embroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Dec 2004, 13:33   #27
Sunday8pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
You seem to be arguing "They're not interested in fighting piracy...they're interested in fighting piracy!" which seems a banal truism.
They make more money than god and I'm sure the lawyer's fees exceed the losses they make to piracy in their current state.

They are interested in fighting a free enterprise they wish to capitalize on, now that the market has been shown to be effective and in demand and that the software and hardware is capable (hey no R&D or Market research costs incurred!), by feigning that it's the fight against piracy they are interested in.

They're not interested in fighting piracy, they are interested in using what they can to capitalize on new industries when they pop up underneath their feet before them.
Unread 25 Dec 2004, 23:27   #28
melandron
Brain Overload

melandron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
With the rise of P2P the effect of having a better-known product is diminished.
So that only leaves quality.
Popular things are too often not quality things.. who's to decide what designates quality, artistic forms still have to produce crap just so that other, better "quality" output is recognised.

Alot of the top grossing films are just plain shit when it comes to some "quality" and yet they have to have some kind of merit that no one could quantify..

If your argument is true, would it not lead to less experimentation as even the smallest studios would be looking for sure fire hits just to meet the bottom line and would be less willing to take risks?

Hmmm not really a coherent ramble there.

sorry.
Unread 26 Dec 2004, 00:08   #29
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melandron
Popular things are too often not quality things.. who's to decide what designates quality, artistic forms still have to produce crap just so that other, better "quality" output is recognised.

Alot of the top grossing films are just plain shit when it comes to some "quality" and yet they have to have some kind of merit that no one could quantify..

If your argument is true, would it not lead to less experimentation as even the smallest studios would be looking for sure fire hits just to meet the bottom line and would be less willing to take risks?

Hmmm not really a coherent ramble there.

sorry.
what? no.

his point is that top grossing but shitty films have the edge of marketing which is negated with P2P. therefore, films become popular because they are good, not because they come from a big stable.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Dec 2004, 00:43   #30
Madina
TashTastic

Madina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriend

Ok I do a lot of downloading of music (a few films here and there etc.). But I do buy albums that I like (most of the time!) But if things weren't so ****ing expensive it would be alright.

This may be a shock to some of you but where I work at the moment we need to search for items, when we look items up (lets say Celtic Chillout) it comes up with how much they paid the supplier for the CD. And more times than not it is £5 and under. So the mark up that shops put on it are insane. Its not down to the record companies etc. as they are selling them to the stores at a decent price.

So people who have said 'Why should I help an artist make millions more this year' that it isn't the record labels being gits. Its the high street stores.
Unread 26 Dec 2004, 10:44   #31
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
They make more money than god and I'm sure the lawyer's fees exceed the losses they make to piracy in their current state.
No-one actually knows how much they lose to piracy. I personally imagine it's very very limited - they overestimate how much disposable income people have who pirate. A hell of a lot of piracy is done by people on relatively low incomes who don't go and invest the money saved in solid gold houses. But the record companies believe it's much higher. And it's practically irrelevent how much money they make. That's the point of capitalism. You never make enough money.

And I say again, fighting Suprnova so they can sell us stuff via P2P is fighting piracy.

Quote:
They're not interested in fighting piracy, they are interested in using what they can to capitalize on new industries when they pop up underneath their feet before them.
Repeating this ad nausea doesn't actually a build a case you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madina
So people who have said 'Why should I help an artist make millions more this year' that it isn't the record labels being gits. Its the high street stores.
People who go on about the record companies being greedy / evil are missing the point completely. The whole current distribution system for CDs / DVDs / etc is totally outdated. Since we can transfer an audio CDs worth of information in a few seconds at a very low (and ever decreasing, in real-terms) cost why should we rely on a production / retail model? It's like we invented matter transportation but still rely on trucks to move freight around because, you know, what about the poor truckers?

I'm not interested particularly on who makes loads of money out of the £14 for a CD. It's not really an issue of greed (on anyone's behalf). The high street shops have to pay pretty damn high rents, and then they have stock costs, staff, etc. But once again, they are not necessary. HMV et al can go out of business (or scale back) and we can use the land they occupy on something more useful.
Unread 26 Dec 2004, 11:02   #32
Sunday8pm
Banned

Via their own p2p client, which isn't pirated, cause they don't have one, cause if they coded one they'd want to make sure that the current free source p2p software out there is outlawed first.

So their real fight is to claim p2p software as their own, which isn't fighting piracy, it's fighting freesource.
Unread 26 Dec 2004, 15:13   #33
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Via their own p2p client, which isn't pirated, cause they don't have one, cause if they coded one they'd want to make sure that the current free source p2p software out there is outlawed first.

So their real fight is to claim p2p software as their own, which isn't fighting piracy, it's fighting freesource.
They're not targeting BT, they're targeting the BT sites which make available for download the IP of the relevent companies. If they tried to target BT, they might have quite a lot of opposition from the industry, because many companies use it for legal purposes.

You can't compare it with Napster or similar, because Napster was both the program and the supplier, and given what's happening at the moment, it's fairly clear that the latter was the target, and not the former as you seem to believe.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Dec 2004, 15:28   #34
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Quote:

Isn't it called Open Source ?

Under the Open Source licence there is nothing stopping the RIAA from writing their own BitTorrent client using the original code..

~Vaio~

Yes, I know he is dead !
Unread 26 Dec 2004, 15:51   #35
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaio
Isn't it called Open Source ?

Under the Open Source licence there is nothing stopping the RIAA from writing their own BitTorrent client using the original code..

~Vaio~
I don't think that was his point; he was saying that the RIAA/MPAA would attack any instance of a competing potential distribution mechanism as a distribution mechanism, and then supplant it with their own.

Of course, the post didn't have the best syntax, so you never know.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Dec 2004, 16:02   #36
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
I don't think that was his point; he was saying that the RIAA/MPAA would attack any instance of a competing potential distribution mechanism as a distribution mechanism, and then supplant it with their own.

Of course, the post didn't have the best syntax, so you never know.
But why would they need to ?

~Vaio~

Yes, I know he is dead !
Unread 26 Dec 2004, 22:15   #37
Inferno
The Arson Specialist

Inferno is a jewel in the roughInferno is a jewel in the roughInferno is a jewel in the rough

I think that I agree with all those who are against blah. But we have consider those who download from those sites and not buy what they like.

As all of those with half a mind said, its all down to quality. Its quality which matters when money isnt an issue.
Please dont laugh at me. I'm not trying to be funny.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Dec 2004, 01:30   #38
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

What can i use instead of suprnova now?
isohunt.com?
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Dec 2004, 01:39   #39
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Get a premium news service if you download music. You won't get the stuff you want in a hurry but you will get quite a lot of good stuff.

~Vaio~

Yes, I know he is dead !
Unread 27 Dec 2004, 11:05   #40
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

Quote:
Perfect control over the distribution of the product in order to restore the position of traditional marketing. That is what I think those associations try to achieve with their attacks on P2P. I believe the associations are afraid that they can not guarantee the quality in the future and that they might start to lose their currently dominant position in their industry.
The most sensible thing said in years on filesharing and antiglobalism in one go.
Unread 27 Dec 2004, 18:32   #41
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

I walk into a shop and take a cd without paying. I play the cd at home. I do not buy the cd.
I have stolen it.

I download HalfLife 2 and play it, experiencing no major problems - I will not buy it. Why would I?
I have stolen it.

No?
Unread 27 Dec 2004, 19:17   #42
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogster
No?
No. You can't equate no sale = stolen. As I've said elsewhere, if that was the case then a bad review would be counting as "stealing" since it reduces sales.

Do you think people who read newspapers which have been left on the train are thieves too? If someone leaves a copy of the Independent on the tube and I read it, I'm definitely not going to buy it again that day, but it'd seem bizarre to say I've "stolen" it.
Unread 27 Dec 2004, 20:55   #43
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

Lupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant future

Quote:
who will buy products if they could get nearly the same for free?

Charlie Mingus, such nimble fingers
Droppin the bass, all over the place
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Feb 2005, 10:39   #44
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

lokitorrent is also gone now
i guess their legal case didn't work out after all
Unread 11 Feb 2005, 10:54   #45
wu_trax

yes, sorry, i saw vaio's new thread after i worte this
Unread 11 Feb 2005, 13:45   #46
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

supranova was shit anyway better bittorrent sites
Unread 11 Feb 2005, 14:57   #47
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wu_trax
lokitorrent is also gone now
i guess their legal case didn't work out after all
The owner of Loki ran away with the money collected to face the lawsuit from the RIAA. Dirty little bastard, no?
Unread 11 Feb 2005, 15:07   #48
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

I use Winmix and i dont know if its illegal or not coz i aint switched on like the rest of you but I download a film watch it then if i like it a buy it not then i dont.
Look at resident evil 2 if i hadnt of downloaded that down for free i would have ended up with another crap dvd in my collection.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Feb 2005, 15:15   #49
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogster
I walk into a shop and take a cd without paying. I play the cd at home. I do not buy the cd.
I have stolen it.

I download HalfLife 2 and play it, experiencing no major problems - I will not buy it. Why would I?
I have stolen it.

No?
I normally download a lot of freeware software and then burn it, but in this case.

I'd download HL2 and play it for a bit, if I like I'd go out and buy it, because I don't want to have loads of illegal shit lying around, just in case and because a lot of games feature all kinds of protection system now-a-days, such as the product keys.

Right now, I'm prolly gonna buy HL2 as soon as I get some more RAM into this box, since I've played it several times and liked it.

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote