User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 3 Jul 2005, 00:58   #51
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: live 8

i find it interesting that african debt has increased ten times over 30 years, 20 of those after live aid.

nice publicity stunt, it didn't do shit for africa.

same as this one.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 3 Jul 2005, 01:01   #52
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

How was Pink Floyd?
Unread 3 Jul 2005, 01:04   #53
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Dave
i just find it really annoying when someone as rich as Bob "Give-me-your-****ing-money-and-some-Guiness" Geldof tells us ordinary folk to give all our money to africa
He didnt ask for a penny from people this time so whats your point? And even if he did it makes sense to ask the ordinary people for money. Us ordinary people outnumber the rich people significantly and as a group can basically afford to give alot more overall than the rich group can
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jul 2005, 01:07   #54
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSmoke
How was Pink Floyd?
****ing ace
Unread 3 Jul 2005, 01:08   #55
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWSBOT3
i find it interesting that african debt has increased ten times over 30 years, 20 of those after live aid.

nice publicity stunt, it didn't do shit for africa.

same as this one.
Live Aid wasnt an attempt to lower the debt though. Live Aid was there to get Aid to the people who were needed things like food, water, medication and a place to live. As long as countries owe the major nations in this world vast amount that they stand no chance of paying back and just accumulate intreast on then the debt will continue to grow. Hopefull todays event will help move the g8 towards finding a way to make this dent more manageable so then countries can start to work towards helping themselves rather than replying somewhat on events like Live Aid and Comic relief to help its people
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 3 Jul 2005, 01:10   #56
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Dave
i just find it really annoying when someone as rich as Bob "Give-me-your-****ing-money-and-some-Guiness" Geldof tells us ordinary folk to give all our money to africa
He didn't ask for any money.

The entire point of this concert was to raise awareness.

Not for us all to give money to anywhere, or to make us all storm upon Downing Street demanding the end to debt.

The idea was just to make people aware of the things that go on in Africa.

I think it was done well. People hate dreariness of the statistics. It was sharp and to the point. I especially liked the way that it wasn't about the bands promoting themselves. They had to play songs they've done before - they couldn't sing their new album or whatever. And they weren't allowed to ponce around on stage for too long (although ****ing U2 managed it) - it was a quick in-and-out.
Unread 3 Jul 2005, 01:12   #57
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
How was Pink Floyd?
I found them a little boring tbh, they sounded fine and everything but it just didnt grab me. Perhaps the fact I wasnt that familar with the tracks they played was a factor and it probally sounded great to anyone whos a fan but I just thought something was lacking
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 3 Jul 2005, 01:17   #58
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society

What a miserable bunch you lot can be when you try. The concerts were in my view fairly good, I watched nearly all of the London one and enjoyed it.

Those of you who are moaning with: "it's not going to work" and other pessimistic comments, all I can say is at least they are putting the effort in. They are not politicians and they are not expert economists or business people, they are musicians. Music is the way they work, live and express themselves. They are putting the effort in to achieve what they think should be achieved, before you start criticising their methods, maybe you ought to come up with some alternatives for it, alternatives that fall within their scope. Yes, they may be a bunch of rich people, but even their combined wealth would have no effect whatsoever on the situation.

Moaning about the music being shit is fine, but moaning that it is a pointless exercise is just shallow. It is worth a try, nobody has come up with a viable solution so far, and lots have tried, if they had the situation wouldn't exist. Everything is worth a try.
Unread 3 Jul 2005, 01:18   #59
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
I think it was done well. People hate dreariness of the statistics. It was sharp and to the point. I especially liked the way that it wasn't about the bands promoting themselves. They had to play songs they've done before - they couldn't sing their new album or whatever. And they weren't allowed to ponce around on stage for too long (although ****ing U2 managed it) - it was a quick in-and-out.
The Scissor Sisters played a new track although maybe they didnt count that as they dont have a new album coming out in the near future so maybe they marked it off a Special track for the event rather than promotion.
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 3 Jul 2005, 01:21   #60
JamMak
Cynical Optimist

JamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud of

Quote:
How was Pink Floyd?
Awesomeness++
JamMak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jul 2005, 01:26   #61
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

Guess I need to download their perfomance as I missed the entire concert.

Which songs did they do?
Unread 3 Jul 2005, 01:51   #62
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Breathe
Money
Wish You Were Here
Comfortably Numb
Unread 3 Jul 2005, 09:06   #63
Nusselt
share the <3

Nusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better place

it had a rather pleasant ending, the who were a tad dissapoininting, mr williams is still a pub singer who got lucky and i hate his guts even more because the hoi polloi love him (well he gets the ladies wet) pink floyd made me sob at the tv.
Unread 3 Jul 2005, 11:26   #64
Tomkat

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I thought Robbie Williams was ace.

A lot of the performers were a bit drab - they didn't get the audience up and dancing. Probably the audience's fault, just as much I suppose. When he got up though, the crowd became more alive. I thought he was really good. I wish he'd had 30 minutes and Mariah had 0.
Unread 3 Jul 2005, 12:28   #65
wakey
Hamster

Robbie may not be the best singer but he does have that rare quality of being a natural performer. As Tomkat said he has this ability to get the crowd going which alot of more talented acts cant do. The bill needed more Robbie style entertainers and fewer of the indie/guitar bands whom just dont have the stage pressence
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 3 Jul 2005, 15:36   #66
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It's nice to see the shops cashing in as well.

I saw an advert for a HMV sale on the side of a 2 page spread about Live8 this morning. there were about 15 CDs being advertised, all by people who had performed at Live8.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jul 2005, 15:42   #67
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

it's made 150 tonnes of rubbish too

see! it acheived something!
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 3 Jul 2005, 15:58   #68
lokken
BlueTuba

Why should we care if artists cash in on live 8 if it does result in making world poverty a big issue, and infact some positive changes come about as a result of it because instead of the middle east or various trade deals, poverty is in the spotlight instead?

I'm a bit bemused that people are trying to slag off something positive. Yes the appeals from bands were a bit lame, and Geldof does seem a bit too wrapped up in his cause to be taken too seriously, but people are at least trying to do some form of good. If you really don't like the event, just tune in to your favourite bands that happen to be playing and quit whining, because at the very least, you've been entertained for some period of time.
Unread 3 Jul 2005, 16:12   #69
Tomkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokken
I'm a bit bemused that people are trying to slag off something positive.
Welcome to the internet, where everyone hates the world and is a cynic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
It's nice to see the shops cashing in as well.

I saw an advert for a HMV sale on the side of a 2 page spread about Live8 this morning. there were about 15 CDs being advertised, all by people who had performed at Live8.
Gosh.

I wonder if that is because some of the most popular artists of this time were playing at Live 8.

I'm sure HMV etc normally stick a bunch of unknown artists at the front.
Unread 3 Jul 2005, 16:32   #70
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Why should we care if artists cash in on live 8 if it does result in making world poverty a big issue, and infact some positive changes come about as a result of it because instead of the middle east or various trade deals, poverty is in the spotlight instead?
this is a reason to get behind MakePovertyHistory (although I'd argue that human decency should already be doing a lot of the work). It's not a reason to go out and buy records.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jul 2005, 16:44   #71
lokken
BlueTuba

So the only people who are scum in this are HMV, because they aren't artists.

To be honest if they did have that ad slot, and did focus purely on artists from live8. I'd say that was
Unread 3 Jul 2005, 16:50   #72
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
So the only people who are scum in this are HMV, because they aren't artists.
why do the artists escape criticism?
Unread 3 Jul 2005, 16:52   #73
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinoa
I think the fact that the didn't put any African musicians in the main London concert was a bit lame, citing reasons that not many people appreciate African music. Then they hastily rearrange and organise a concert in Cornwall lol for African starts
Black people aren't aloud in the west country. They tend to get shot or strung up by white supremacist farmers. Someone should've told ol' Bobby.
Unread 3 Jul 2005, 17:37   #74
Embroglio
a new low in getting high

Embroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
why do the artists escape criticism?
most of them don't have any say over their own releases or re-releases
Embroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jul 2005, 17:41   #75
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embroglio
most of them don't have any say over their own releases or re-releases
i mean, with regards to performing at Live 8. I'm sure there are some with charitable motives - Pink Floyd, for example, hardly need the exposure or the money - but there are ten greedy selfish bastards for every one that performed with altruistic motives.
Unread 3 Jul 2005, 17:51   #76
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

the vast majority of you are sickeningly pessimistic.

i would write more, but that pretty much sums up my attitude. You disgust me.
Unread 3 Jul 2005, 17:54   #77
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Why should we care if artists cash in on live 8
Quote:
The point is its all about the message, not the money[...]His campaign is all about motivations to remove debt for the poorest nations, not to make money from what is one of the biggest gigs in years.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jul 2005, 18:02   #78
virogenesis
Proud ex EnTitY bc

virogenesis is infamous around these partsvirogenesis is infamous around these parts

I personaly was touched by it but saying that I've been to India but the places I saw weren't half as bad as that.

I thought the line up was great a new selection for everyone. The who were ace & razorlight well they put on a great performance.

i do agree that there should of been more african acts but then again they were trying to rise awareness not promote unknown african acts.
I did find it yey annoying to see the beckhams as they are & always will be a selfish couple example: 50k for a ring.

It was a touching event & I do believe it will be a success it brought the world together for a day lets just hope it continues I've personaly signed up on the site to show support lets just hope we can help those.

haha do i want to say touching anymore but yeah it could of been better having those that weren't so greedy on the line up a few punk bands would of helped aswell maybe stiff little fingers
10:04| »» <Vir> |10:02| »» <Zhil> Kj doesnt need taunting <---- true he only needs a mirror
|10:04| »» <Vir> |10:05| »» <Zhil> lol
|10:05| »» <Zhil> I just got the image |10:05| »» <Zhil> of KJ
|10:05| »» <Zhil> being a budgie |10:05| »» <Vir> lmao
|10:05| »» <Zhil> and going "Pretty FAnG boy!" |10:05| »» <Zhil> talking into the mirror |10:05| »» <Zhil> little bell "ding ding ding"
Former: TRG, SL, AIM, ND, G-ii, EtY, ICD [1up], ReUnioN
virogenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jul 2005, 18:22   #79
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute

it was worth it just for pink floyd
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jul 2005, 20:51   #80
edmoo
SuperTux!

edmoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Pink Floyd where f'ing awsome!
Unread 3 Jul 2005, 22:06   #81
lokken
BlueTuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
cynicism
Artists who appear and have record sales that are merely incidental to that appearance is fine, so what if I like their performance and out of my own free will and buy their records. If they went out of their way to cash in on live8 (i.e. to advertise their music as featured on live8 or somesuch) then it would probably be wrong to do so.

The artists escape criticism because as long as they aren't expressly trying to cash in on the event and have agreed to contribute to it, what is the problem exactly? HMV offered no contribution, they're just simply hawking over the event in a similar manner to those who were touting.

I don't get why people go 'lol, they must be doing it to get better record sales' when quite honestly it's most likely that a large majority of persons agree with the idea because last I checked needless suffering on millions wasn't top of everyone's wishlists, so I'd see little reason for them not to agree to perform.

learn to hate less plz :/
Unread 3 Jul 2005, 22:11   #82
edmoo
SuperTux!

edmoo is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree totally, lokken. Bravo.
Unread 3 Jul 2005, 23:06   #83
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Artists who appear and have record sales that are merely incidental to that appearance is fine, so what if I like their performance and out of my own free will and buy their records.
Well I don't hate any of the artists involved, I'm sure they all had fine motivations (and I don't really mind if they don't, it doesn't lessen their involvement in anyway). I was just confused as why one group of people were "cashing in" (and thus evil) and the other group of people (who are considerably richer to start of with then most touts or what-not) were not. But you've now explained where you feel the line is drawn.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jul 2005, 01:33   #84
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

U2 was ace
Unread 4 Jul 2005, 09:29   #85
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Welcome to the internet, where everyone hates the world and is a cynic.

Gosh.

I wonder if that is because some of the most popular artists of this time were playing at Live 8.

I'm sure HMV etc normally stick a bunch of unknown artists at the front.
Oh yes, Elton John, Eurythmics and Pink Floyd are todays most popular atists....
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
Unread 4 Jul 2005, 11:17   #86
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Oh yes, Elton John, Eurythmics and Pink Floyd are todays most popular atists....
Yes they are, maybe not in the age group of the average PA player but they still have massive fanbases and it would have hardly had as much of a impact if the concert had only attracted a teenage audience,.
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 4 Jul 2005, 11:50   #87
All Systems Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
Yes they are, maybe not in the age group of the average PA player but they still have massive fanbases and it would have hardly had as much of a impact if the concert had only attracted a teenage audience,.
this is not about using popular artists to promote the concert. this is about stores then advertising the CDs of the live8 performers to attract customers (whether they are young people who have just discovered pink floyd or older people trying to recapture their youth is irrelevent) and therefore, cashing in.
Unread 4 Jul 2005, 14:24   #88
Tomkat

Quote:
this is not about using popular artists to promote the concert. this is about stores then advertising the CDs of the live8 performers to attract customers (whether they are young people who have just discovered pink floyd or older people trying to recapture their youth is irrelevent) and therefore, cashing in.
That isn't the artist's fault though, is it?
Unread 4 Jul 2005, 21:23   #89
All Systems Go

Quote:
That isn't the artist's fault though, is it?
I never said it was. All I've done is criticise the shops for cashing in on a charity event.
Unread 5 Jul 2005, 10:54   #90
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
last I checked needless suffering on millions wasn't top of everyone's wishlists
Bill Gates. Windows. Blue Screen. 'nuff said.
Unread 5 Jul 2005, 14:33   #91
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

make poverty history from first class (or at least it looks like)

bunch of hypocrites.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jul 2005, 14:58   #92
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

More like private jet, always nice to see Saint Bob leading by example, renouncing Western excess and donating his money to help the disadvantaged.

Even if it is successful cancelling debt isn’t the answer, not alone anyway, it will simply crowd out productive mainstream aid in the long term (Which can at least be channelled into worthwhile projects). Cancelling debt alone will just lead to it being reaccumulated in no time due to unfair trade practices by the rich nations. Yet again a bunch of muppets are focusing on the wrong issues and half solutions, still at least they got a free concert, I'm sure all the people staving in Africa would love to hear how we held a big concert to raise awareness of their starvation then forgot about it a week later.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jul 2005, 15:30   #93
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Even if the artists were 'cashing in' and their performance at Live8 was simply to increase record sales, why do you care as long as they are 'raising awareness' at the same time? Has the absurdity of altruism reached the stage where you need to scrutinize every possible motive behind a charitable act just to make doubly sure that they givers cant possibly have benefitted in any conceivable way?
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jul 2005, 06:09   #94
Texan
Prince of Amber

Texan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these parts

By Jonah Goldberg
"We Care!"
Grace on the cheap.
According to Bob Geldof, two billion people watched his snazzy Live8 concert thingamajig. Therefore, he declared, "It's now for the leaders to act." He also added, "Now feel the force of the gale that's hit you." At the top of Geldof's gale-force demands: debt relief for African nations.

O.K., so here's what I'm confused about. People watched a concert, which was chockablock with acts supposedly popular with the young 'uns and old 'uns alike. From Snoop Dogg, Will Smith, and Coldplay to the more aged likes of Madonna, Sting, and Bono. There were even a few troubadours with last names (or at least two first names), such as Elton John.

And the spectacle was impressive, so much so that Chris Martin of Coldplay declared it "the greatest thing that's ever been organized probably in the history of the world." (You've heard of the Normandy invasion, the Manhattan Project, the Marshall Plan, various moon landings, the 2,000-year-old Catholic Church? Impromptu flea markets! We've got a major-league telecast here.) Passing over Martin's slight overstatement, no harm will come from conceding that it was a very nice concert for those interested in such things.

But tell me, how exactly was Live8 a monumental demonstration of support for helping Africa?
Perhaps we could organize an ice-cream and candy giveaway at the local mall to show that children are against the deficit? Anyone who shows up is for raising taxes. Or, hey - and I'm just thinking out loud now - maybe Madonna could invite everybody to show their concern about global warming by coming to her mansion (pick one) and helping themselves to whatever's in her fridge.

You see my point? Presumably this was a concert most of the attendees wanted to go to anyway. To say that two billion people favor debt relief for Africa is akin to saying that everyone who watches Desperate Housewives is pro-choice because the producers are.

You may be wondering how much money this intercontinental jam session raised for the sick and dying of Africa. Alas, not a farthing. Sir Bob Geldof was very explicit about this point. Live8 was intended to raise consciousness and exert political pressure on the G8 summiteers. No one was allowed to actually raise money for the masses of starving people in Africa. None of the dollars spent on the concert by fans, corporate sponsors, or television networks will reach Africa. Charities couldn't rattle tin cups outside the porta-potties and concession stands. This was solely an effort to prod the West to get behind the slogan, "Make Poverty History."

Nice line. But, uh, how? I'm sure Geldof, Bono, and a few others have some ideas worth listening to. But I somehow doubt the Madonna and Snoop Dogg fans in the audience had formed a particularly cogent consensus on how to "Make Poverty History." In fact, I doubt you could get even a fraction of them to agree on a recipe for apple brown betty.

Very smart people have been trying really, really hard to make poverty history for a long time. Heck, they've been working very hard to make Africa just ever-so-slightly less hellish for a very long time. Debt relief is probably part of a potential solution, but without ending Africa's tendency to produce horrible, greedy dictatorships, debt relief is more akin to paying off a drug addict's credit cards.

Even if the concert goers were speaking with a single voice, they weren't saying anything of much use, except "we care" - and aren't we special people for it? Geldof summed up the attitude perfectly when he said, "Something must be done, even if it doesn't work."

This concert was an exercise in boosting the self-esteem of the audience. Included in the ticket price was grace on the cheap. t-shirts cost extra. Live8 was an appeal to the vanity of people who collectively aren't concerned enough about Africa to watch a classical music concert.

Geldof's heart is in the right place, I'm sure. But what he really did was successfully bribe a bunch of people to be props in a publicity stunt. And I somehow suspect that the G8 leaders do feel the force of the gale that's hit them - and it feels a lot like a gust of hot air.

http://www.nationalreview.com/goldbe...0507060809.asp