User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 8 May 2005, 19:16   #1
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society
So, I have a job interview tomorrow...

Was just told today that I have a job interview tomorrow. This is for quite an important job, and I've been asked to provide a 10 minute presentation at the start of the interview. This is just to be a 'talk' and I wont have any visual aids, no projector, powerpoint, etc.

So I'm just wondering if there is any advice you can give? The subject is about as interesting as dishwater but I think I'm making pretty good progress over all.

Any (serious) advice appreciated.
Unread 8 May 2005, 19:20   #2
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: So, I have a job interview tomorrow...

Speak slowly.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 May 2005, 19:50   #3
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

'The matrix' is what I recently got taught about and it was a pretty neat idea.

You take a sheet of paper, and divvy it up into four columns. Your first column is your intro column, that'll be where you introduce yourself and equally importantly you establish some credibility with the audience (for instance if you were talking about poker you might tell them a little baout your poker-playing history).

The second and third columns are your two 'streams' that you'll be talking about. You can break pretty much any topic into two, when we did it an example given was a 60s talk on salt. The first stream was 'the history of salt', the second was 'the uses of salt'. In those columns you write literally almost nothing but words of the headings of the things you'll be talking about. For instance in the first column of that salt talk you might have 'types', 'romans', 'chemical'. You talk down the column until the bottom, hopefully having formed some kind of link into your second stream.

The final column's your summary, pretty self-explanatory but never as long as it should be. Recap what you've talked about, major points etc, open the floor to questions.

Note the idea would be that you'd learnt what was on your matrix sheet as opposed to having it with you. It's just a structuring tool, semi-formalises what is actually a pretty natural 'beginning, middle, end' structure. But if you're confident in where you're going next with your talk then you'll look more confident delivering it.

More generally:
  • Coverage. Not in terms of content but your eyes. You need to be looking at people in the audience as you speak, or if you're uncomfortable with that then at a point slightly beyond them at the back of the room. Make sure you address the left, centre and right of the room pretty equally.
  • Interaction. Best way to break the ice and stop being so nervy when giving a presentation is to get some interaction with the audience. It mightn't be possible in the body of it, but at the beginning you can ask some 'raise your hands if' kind of question that'll get people moving
  • Movement. Without a powerpoint presentation all eyes are constantly on you, so looking relaxed will more likely set your viewers at ease. Don't be stiff, but don't slouch.
  • Gesticulation. Use your hands. If you're saying something is big, why not do a 'caught one THIS BIG!' kind of hand movement? You do it during conversation even if you don't notice it, and makes you seem more natural.
  • Topic. The topic might be dull but if you can find interesting facets of it, or interesting examples to illustrate it with, it'll make the whole thing less dry.

I'd had a couple bevvies by the time of learning this so it may not be accurate but the results were pretty good, even if you leave out the matrix bit the other advice helped me.

Last edited by pablissimo; 8 May 2005 at 19:56.
pablissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 May 2005, 19:51   #4
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

prepare answers to questions in advance,

think of the questions they might ask and be ready to answer them.

have answers beforehand.

(hobbies, your cv, what past/current workmates would say about you, where you want to be in 5 years time, that sort of shit. There are plenty of job sites out there that have example questions and interview tech, do some googling)

basically, preperation, and lots of it.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 8 May 2005, 19:55   #5
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Break it down into chunks.

That way it's easier to remember (and you can use a quick reference) and people are more likely to remember. If you do a big chunk of information all at once then they're likely to forget it.

What's the presentation on?
Unread 8 May 2005, 19:55   #6
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rids
The subject is about as interesting as dishwater but I think I'm making pretty good progress over all.
it still might help to know what it is
Unread 8 May 2005, 20:14   #7
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society

Ok, the overall question is 'What are the three key business objectives Vodafone Retail need to be aware of over the next two to three years and how would the business advisor role support them?'

I've not actually applied for a business advisor role, but apparently I need to be aware of what they do so I can support them.

Also, thanks for the advice pab, going to spice things up a little bit now.
Unread 8 May 2005, 22:47   #8
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rids
Ok, the overall question is 'What are the three key business objectives Vodafone Retail need to be aware of over the next two to three years and how would the business advisor role support them?'

I've not actually applied for a business advisor role, but apparently I need to be aware of what they do so I can support them.

Also, thanks for the advice pab, going to spice things up a little bit now.
The key points of vodafone business
  • Get Customer
  • Make customer pay nothing at the start
  • Get customer to pay gradually rising amounts
  • Screw customer as much as possible for as large an amount as possible.
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 May 2005, 23:11   #9
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

ok, It's not what you say it's how you say it.
Body language, confident tone of voice, make the subject your own.

I had to do a 10 minute presentation last week for an interview.

They really don't care what you are saying. It's how confident you are and how enthusiastic you can make yourself.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote