User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 19 Sep 2003, 17:19   #1
HobbieRogue4
etc.

HobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura about
See, Barry Bonds can do it.

Consider, will he break Hank Aaron's all-time home run record in two seasons or three?

He'll pass Rickey Henderson on the all-time walks soon, especially with opposing teams being so intimidated by his swing (and rightly so!), and unless he gets more chances to swing at the plate, it may take him three seasons.

Still, I'm aiming for two. How 'bout you?
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 17:21   #2
Bobzeh
Sheep Lover

Bobzeh is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes!
Bobzeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 17:22   #3
HobbieRogue4
etc.

HobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura about
BOBZYBONDS!
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 17:27   #4
Bobzeh
Sheep Lover

No, I don't think HE has a chance
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 17:27   #5
Cynical Oracle
Poster Professionale

Cynical Oracle is just really niceCynical Oracle is just really niceCynical Oracle is just really niceCynical Oracle is just really nice
Peek-A-Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
I wish we could trademark for a less shitty poster
hahahahahahaha, get it?
Cynical Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 17:29   #6
HobbieRogue4
etc.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobzeh
No, I don't think HE has a chance
Bobzy, are you saying that you've finally been 'taken'?
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 17:29   #7
Bobzeh
Sheep Lover

By whom Hobbiewoo!?
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 17:32   #8
HobbieRogue4
etc.

Quote:
By whom Hobbiewoo!?
That's what I'm asking. Were you taken?

Otherwise, who's 'HE' and what does he do?
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 17:33   #9
Bobzeh
Sheep Lover

'HE' is BobzyBonds and 'HE' can't do what Barry Bonds can!
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 17:34   #10
HobbieRogue4
etc.

Quote:
'HE' is BobzyBonds and 'HE' can't do what Barry Bonds can!
He should practice then. :/
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 17:35   #11
Bobzeh
Sheep Lover

Most probably so :(
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 17:35   #12
HobbieRogue4
etc.

Quote:
Most probably so :(
:(
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 17:37   #13
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: See, Barry Bonds can do it.

Quote:
Originally posted by HobbieRogue4
Consider, will he break Hank Aaron's all-time home run record in two seasons or three?

He'll pass Rickey Henderson on the all-time walks soon, especially with opposing teams being so intimidated by his swing (and rightly so!), and unless he gets more chances to swing at the plate, it may take him three seasons.

Still, I'm aiming for two. How 'bout you?
I think if Bonds does it, he will have to do it in two. He's 39 and he's just not going to be able to maintain his pace much longer. I think the odds are against him doing it at all, though.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 17:40   #14
HobbieRogue4
etc.

Re: Re: See, Barry Bonds can do it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tactitus
I think if Bonds does it, he will have to do it in two. He's 39 and he's just not going to be able to maintain his pace much longer. I think the odds are against him doing it at all, though.
How so? Age doesn't mean everything, especially in longevity of the game. Jesse Orosco is still pitching, and he's 90-something years young.

It's said Bonds is in the best shape of his career. I agree, on the physical level. I'm only questioning the capability of the rest of the Giants; they've clenched the West Division already (yay!), but with General Management being 'so-so' on contract extensions, I'm wondering if he'll continue to have the plate-support he so needs.*

*Walking him with considerable power still in the line-up is risky, etc.
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 17:42   #15
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
i doubt he takes the all time home runs mark.

he's got 88 to go.

he's 40.

he averaged about 40 hr a year for his career, which would put him at doing it in three seasons, but he's not going to keep it up. steroids can only do so much, look at mark mcguire.

but we'll see. being 40 and avoiding injuries seems unlikely,but if he manages that, and is willing to take a huge pay check to keep pursuing the record (a la pete rose) he could do it.
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 17:49   #16
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
he'll do it, but in three

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 17:56   #17
HobbieRogue4
etc.

Quote:
Originally posted by acropolis
i doubt he takes the all time home runs mark.

he's got 88 to go.

Try 99.

Quote:
he's 40.

He's 39.

Quote:
he averaged about 40 hr a year for his career, which would put him at doing it in three seasons, but he's not going to keep it up. steroids can only do so much, look at mark mcguire.

You can disregard his 'career' as his swing has changed significantly since his injury in 1999. Since then, he's averaged 52.75 home runs in the last four seasons (as of current; still a few games left in the regular season). The lowest total being this season, with 43 (only 3 less than last). Injury or retirement are the only foreseeable things that could take him out.

And what the **** are you talking about steroids for?

Quote:
...and is willing to take a huge pay check to keep pursuing the record (a la pete rose) he could do it.
Current Contract: Signed five-year, $90 million contract in Jan., 2002.

What does that have to do with Pete Rose?
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 18:10   #18
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Re: Re: See, Barry Bonds can do it.

Quote:
How so? Age doesn't mean everything, especially in longevity of the game. Jesse Orosco is still pitching, and he's 90-something years young.
Pitchers don't age nearly as fast as hitters; and power hitters are the worst of all. When they start to go, they tend to go pretty fast (see Aaron, Mays, etc).

I hope he does it but, like I said, I think the odds are against him.

My Twins playoff tickets are looking good though!
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 19:10   #19
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
Quote:

Try 99.
my bad. i was thinking the record was 744 for some reason. that doesn't go very far to disprove my point tho.

Quote:

You can disregard his 'career' as his swing has changed significantly since his injury in 1999. Since then, he's averaged 52.75 home runs in the last four seasons (as of current; still a few games left in the regular season). The lowest total being this season, with 43 (only 3 less than last). Injury or retirement are the only foreseeable things that could take him out.
Outside of the one season, he's never had more than 49 in any season. Again outside of that season, he's kept within the 33-49 range for ten seasons. That's pretty consistent.

But it certainly isn't going to go up anymore after he turns 40.

Only question is how sharp the drop will be and how soon.

I predict a mid 30's home run performance next year (maybe 315 ba), and a real slump the year after.

But that's just my guesses. 99 home runs is a lot to rack up.

Quote:

Current Contract: Signed five-year, $90 million contract in Jan., 2002.

What does that have to do with Pete Rose?
I doubt he'll make it in five years.

Pete Rose was a great hitter. But as he got close to the all-time hit mark, he wasn't such a great hitter anymore. But he wanted the record, so he played a couple seasons after he should have and eventually took the title.

If Barry is willing to keep playing long enough, than he could make it no matter what.
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 20:29   #20
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by acropolis
If Barry is willing to keep playing long enough, than he could make it no matter what.
Well, he still needs a team willing to give him some at-bats. If his numbers tank that's going to be more difficult (and that's assuming he's willing to take a pay cut).

Rose had a bit of an edge in that regard because, as a player-manager, he was able to pencil himself into the lineup.