User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Strategic Discussions

Unread 21 Aug 2004, 15:13   #1
Vanguard

Vanguard is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Fleet formations

Does it make any difference in an attack, whether all of your ships are spread among your three fleets? Or, will they fare better if all are contained in one attack fleet.

Same for defence. If you are about to be attacked, should you pull all the ships away from the fleets, into your base?
Vanguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Aug 2004, 06:58   #2
Mastro
#SiN

Mastro is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Fleet formations

no
Unread 22 Aug 2004, 07:27   #3
Linkie
fanboy

Linkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to behold

In defence no.
In attack, every fleet will cap it's "share" of the roids, if a fleet dont have enough pods you will miss out on them.

FOUNDER OF THE OFFICIAL ASCENDANCY LADY GAGA FAN CLUB

ASCENDANCY DEMOLITION MAN
Linkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Aug 2004, 09:27   #4
Shaithess

Shaithess is an unknown quantity at this point

basically, in most cases it is best to attack with all your attack ships in one fleet, it's mor efficient. Maybe you could use the other fleets to take another target, to defend your alliance/galaxy, or to get your ships away from base if under attack by a big enemy
Shaithess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Aug 2004, 11:38   #5
The Seal
*idle*

The Seal is on a distinguished road

Would three fleets in a large attack cap 3 shares?
/me smells a posibility to exploit the final large attacks and gain a few extra roids
Unread 23 Aug 2004, 11:58   #6
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Seal
Would three fleets in a large attack cap 3 shares?
/me smells a posibility to exploit the final large attacks and gain a few extra roids
each fleet is assigned a share of the total roid cap based on its value - so if u send 2 fleets one with out pods and one with, the fleet without pods will take a share of the ropid cap, thus lowering your cap.

in a large battle assuming all of your fleets have pods i makes no difference that u have 3 fleets or 1 fleet.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Aug 2004, 13:15   #7
Vanguard

Vanguard is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep. That makes a lot of sense. I wondered if there were perhaps some starting minimum for an attack ... a sort of 'turning up' payment, obviously not. Thanks for that, guys.

Vanguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Aug 2004, 14:57   #8
Sinn

Sinn is an unknown quantity at this point

That said, attacking with 2 fleets can have it's benefits as long as you pull the support fleet before you land. For example, i've sent 2k fireblades along with my main fleet in a seperate slot to keep fi def (my biggest worry) away. If they do send a lot of fi def i simply land the fireblades (and potentially pull the pod fleet if losses are too high) just to kill/hurt the def. If they opt for not sending fi def because of the fireblades then they did what they were meant to do and i pull them before i land. But in all fairness, such strategies only work on certain targets.

The cumstain on the sheets of humanity
Sinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Sep 2004, 08:13   #9
The Master

I believe there is a maximum percentage of the target's total roids you can take in any one tick. During speed rounds I like to send three consecutive 'mini' fleets to attack my target with equal numbers of pods in each fleet, but the normal ships mainly in the first fleet to arrive. seems to be pretty effective anyway, i certainly dont leave them with many roids after one of those 'three stage' attacks.... i completely crippled some guy in the havoc part of r11 with that tactic.
Unread 27 Sep 2004, 12:00   #10
General Martok
used to register

General Martok has a spectacular aura aboutGeneral Martok has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Master
I believe there is a maximum percentage of the target's total roids you can take in any one tick. During speed rounds I like to send three consecutive 'mini' fleets to attack my target with equal numbers of pods in each fleet, but the normal ships mainly in the first fleet to arrive. seems to be pretty effective anyway, i certainly dont leave them with many roids after one of those 'three stage' attacks.... i completely crippled some guy in the havoc part of r11 with that tactic.
Alliances dont like it when members have 3 attackfleets out though.....
R1: ??:?? | R2: 51:6 | R3: 37:12 | R4: 186:13 | R5: 13:17 | R6: 1:25
R7: 15:14 | R8: 34:4 / 52:10 ¤ | R9: 16:2 | R9.5: 34:6 / 41:6 ¤
R10: 2:2 | R10.5: 15:4 | R11: 28:8 | R12: 22:9

Damn, outdated and too lazy to edit, retired now
-----
Started playing again Still too lazy to update though
General Martok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Sep 2004, 19:33   #11
Doorsdown
Aria's TeddyBear :p

Doorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinn
That said, attacking with 2 fleets can have it's benefits as long as you pull the support fleet before you land. For example, i've sent 2k fireblades along with my main fleet in a seperate slot to keep fi def (my biggest worry) away. If they do send a lot of fi def i simply land the fireblades (and potentially pull the pod fleet if losses are too high) just to kill/hurt the def. If they opt for not sending fi def because of the fireblades then they did what they were meant to do and i pull them before i land. But in all fairness, such strategies only work on certain targets.

the max u can get is 25% of there roids and kill 20% of the strs but the roid cap and the XP gain lower as your fleet is bigger than theres and so on.

R3 [Acid] peon
R4 - R7 [Fyre] HC
R7 - R8 [ND] HC
R8 - R13 [NoS] MC
R14 - R16 [1up] MO
R17 Retired
Doorsdown is offline   Reply With Quote