User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Strategic Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 7 Jul 2004, 17:38   #1
Rukhsta
old school p0ny.

Rukhsta is an unknown quantity at this point
the Xand advantage...

i've heard numerous people mentioning that there is some big stat imbalance in favour of the xandathrii. what are they referring to?
Unread 7 Jul 2004, 18:40   #2
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: the Xand advantage...

Xan have nice ships. They are the only one with fi pods and have very powerfull ships with good initiative. This resulted in a lot of Xans at the top.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2004, 07:57   #3
Rukhsta
old school p0ny.

Rukhsta is an unknown quantity at this point

so it's simply a matter of overpowering your opponents...
thanks
Unread 12 Jul 2004, 03:48   #4
Snoopeh
GIMP

Snoopeh is an unknown quantity at this point

lies xan get shat on by Ter cos pegs piss all over Puls hence no decent anti DE against Ter
VtS
Instinct
Fury
Pack
Snoopeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jul 2004, 10:13   #5
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute

Another aspect of xans that confuses me as to why they are doing so well is that they have no de/cr/bs pods.

All the other races have a 'small' pod and a 'large' pod. The Xan pods can be targetted by 2 ships in each race yet the de/cr pods of the other races can be targetted by just one ship from each race

Yet Xans are doing well.

[16:10:34] <[lfc]stif|afk> "dont be the worst in your alliance, join CT. We have Arfy!"
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jul 2004, 15:40   #6
mens
Sheep

mens is an unknown quantity at this point

alot of terrans in the universe. very few of them build hydras in addition to gryphons.
a xan with lancers can attack terrans with small losses.
in other words...many good targets for xans with the right fleets.

just my theory
mens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jul 2004, 13:50   #7
scotty1234

scotty1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

would any experienced player care to share what the right xan fleet would be?
scotty1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jul 2004, 18:23   #8
General Martok
used to register

General Martok has a spectacular aura aboutGeneral Martok has a spectacular aura about

There is no "right fleet". It depends on the target. If you want to attack terrans, build shitloads of lancers.

And mens, ofc. But even if they have hydras, you got those nifty frigates targetting CR
R1: ??:?? | R2: 51:6 | R3: 37:12 | R4: 186:13 | R5: 13:17 | R6: 1:25
R7: 15:14 | R8: 34:4 / 52:10 ¤ | R9: 16:2 | R9.5: 34:6 / 41:6 ¤
R10: 2:2 | R10.5: 15:4 | R11: 28:8 | R12: 22:9

Damn, outdated and too lazy to edit, retired now
-----
Started playing again Still too lazy to update though
General Martok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jul 2004, 22:52   #9
Melesse
The Nephilim

Melesse is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mens
alot of terrans in the universe. very few of them build hydras in addition to gryphons.
a xan with lancers can attack terrans with small losses.
in other words...many good targets for xans with the right fleets.

just my theory
On the other hand, lately I've been seeing alot more Hydras. And a Xan with a Bomber heavy fleet can roid those terrans for free too.

Melesse
Melesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jul 2004, 01:08   #10
mens
Sheep

mens is an unknown quantity at this point

yea I know
mens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jul 2004, 13:07   #11
General Martok
used to register

General Martok has a spectacular aura aboutGeneral Martok has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melesse
On the other hand, lately I've been seeing alot more Hydras. And a Xan with a Bomber heavy fleet can roid those terrans for free too.

Melesse
post mimicer

-----
Unread 16 Jul 2004, 13:31   #12
Remy
Ex-Head Multihunter

Remy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud of

Hehe

1 - Syn_Sid made the ship stats
2 - Syn_Sid told his ppl to go all Xan

Coincidence?
R7-9: Had an account, but didnt play seriously
R09.5: []LCH[] Officer
R10.0: []LCH[] HC (Rank #9, #1 Gal)
R10.5-R18.0: []LCH[] HC Scanner!
R18.0-R33 : Multihunter, Head MH
R34-.. : [CT] HC
Remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jul 2004, 14:13   #13
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

Xan can concentrate their attacks on Terrans. They send a combo of FR and DE (good eta) using their FR pods with FR Bomber and DE Lancer. This way Xan ships fire at terran ships targetting them and they fire first = minimal losses if you pick your target right.
Negative point : if the Terran can get a Cat or Zik def to neutralize the DE Lancer, the Xan Fr can be wiped out by terran Co.
Unread 16 Jul 2004, 18:08   #14
Linkie
fanboy

Linkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to behold

Xans have two huge advantages, one early-game and one late-game.
The reason for this is because the universe is very terr/xan heavy.

Early game xans easily roid other xans. This is because vsh fires before sentinels so untill xan gets fireblades they're sitting ducks for other xan fi fleets. (In 1up we ended up giving sentinels the nickname "senti-lemmings" as you need lots of them to stop a vsh/dagger attack. And they still die.

Now for the late game they can, as mentioned above, easily roid terrans with lancers/sabres or a lancers/bombers/sabre combo. Again, this is due to their low initiative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy
Coincidence?
I'm afraid you are wrong, atleast I have never recieved such a message.
However, even if I had recieved such a message I would have to object. A alliance with too many xans are sitting ducks for fi fleets in the early game, and will have a hard time catching up after having huge problems growing before they get Fireblades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopeh
lies xan get shat on by Ter cos pegs piss all over Puls hence no decent anti DE against Ter
I'm afraid that's not entirely true. Pegs vs Pulsars is a very messy battle. Usually getting enough pulsars is enough to scare the Terran attacker away, however if the terran decides to land there are heavy losses on both sides.

FOUNDER OF THE OFFICIAL ASCENDANCY LADY GAGA FAN CLUB

ASCENDANCY DEMOLITION MAN
Linkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jul 2004, 19:42   #15
waffle
Eclipse 4 Life

waffle is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkie
I'm afraid you are wrong, atleast I have never recieved such a message.
However, even if I had recieved such a message I would have to object. A alliance with too many xans are sitting ducks for fi fleets in the early game, and will have a hard time catching up after having huge problems growing before they get Fireblades.
Were you never in the private channel in the beginning of the round? 1up had many many problems covering fi calls. So stfu, you don't know what you're talking about. Wouldn't have mattered if 1up all went xan or not, you would have had trouble anyways covering fi calls.

What you should be saying is "If 1up all went xan, they would never be able to stop fi calls."

Just cuz you have fireblades doesn't mean any person/people with fi won't attack you.
<cheerios> just a heads up if you're drunk or summit
<[DC]waffle> fkin n00b
waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jul 2004, 19:51   #16
Linkie
fanboy

Linkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffle
Were you never in the private channel in the beginning of the round? 1up had many many problems covering fi calls. So stfu, you don't know what you're talking about. Wouldn't have mattered if 1up all went xan or not, you would have had trouble anyways covering fi calls.

What you should be saying is "If 1up all went xan, they would never be able to stop fi calls."

Just cuz you have fireblades doesn't mean any person/people with fi won't attack you.
Yes, I was around, and yes, I'm aware we had problems with covering fi calls. However this doesn't mean Sid told everyone to go xan, even if we do have more xans than any other race. And if we had less xans, believe me, it would have been less anti-fi calls. And if a xan maintains a decent fireblades/roids ratio it does stop fi incs.

Unread 17 Jul 2004, 00:57   #17
Synthetic_Sid

Synthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy
Hehe

Coincidence?
1 - Not entirely true. I had a large input into the stats, but a lot of the basics (which pod classes each race had, what ships were what class etc) were set before I became involved. I also had no involvement at all after the start of the public beta - and no input into the final ship changes before the round started.

2. Not true. What you refer to is that I told members who wanted advice on which race to go that in a universe full of terrans, xans would do well mid - late round. If the universe had been full of a different race then my advice would have been different. Noone was told to do anything - as is reflected in 1up having a mix of all races.

Coincidence? No.
Fabrication? Yes.

The stats were public (and largely unchanged) for about a month before the round started - including a public beta where everyone could test things out. If people are unable to look at stats and work out what works well vs what (or are stupid enough to view a Beta as a competition to do well, rather than as an exercise in testing and experimenting) then yes, I guess I do have an advantage. But that advantage isn't due to designing the stats - it's due to not being an idiot.

Are xan the best race? Overall they're on a par with, or slightly worse than terrans in my view.
But in a universe with very few caths/ziks xan probably have the edge - due to the prevalence of their favourite racial target.
In a universe that was largely zik (for example) xans would really struggle to get roids.

If you were in the channels for the private betas while i was actively working on the stats, you'd have seen that I was constantly pressurised by xan players that xans were too weak - and needed massively strengthening. If they'd had their way then xans really WOULD be overpowered.

Lots of self-proclaimed experts went around trumpetting how terrans were the best race by a mile - and 40% of players bought into it.

Think of it as a slightly complicated version of paper/scissors/stone. Most of the universe pulically said they were going stone (as shown by race % before ticks started and by the posts on AD). I advised 1up members who asked that if there were a lot of players choosing stone, paper may not be a bad idea.

Anyone who'd looked carefully at the stats and used the public beta to try out things - rather than as an attempt to get an irrelevant rank - could have worked out precisely the same thing. Whether they were involved in designing the stats or not.
Unread 17 Jul 2004, 16:20   #18
Gerbie
pe0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic_Sid
1 - Not entirely true. I had a large input into the stats, but a lot of the basics (which pod classes each race had, what ships were what class etc) were set before I became involved. I also had no involvement at all after the start of the public beta - and no input into the final ship changes before the round started.

2. Not true. What you refer to is that I told members who wanted advice on which race to go that in a universe full of terrans, xans would do well mid - late round. If the universe had been full of a different race then my advice would have been different. Noone was told to do anything - as is reflected in 1up having a mix of all races.

Coincidence? No.
Fabrication? Yes.

The stats were public (and largely unchanged) for about a month before the round started - including a public beta where everyone could test things out. If people are unable to look at stats and work out what works well vs what (or are stupid enough to view a Beta as a competition to do well, rather than as an exercise in testing and experimenting) then yes, I guess I do have an advantage. But that advantage isn't due to designing the stats - it's due to not being an idiot.
The first where stats were made public was in the public beta. As I didn't know the stats well I picked Cathaar. I used the account to test things. Not what ships were good (as this was supposed to change any way), but how the formulae worked. And aparantly that had to be changed. When the game started I had only a vague notion of what ship would target what. I planned on going cathaar untill they tweaked down my favorite Cr pod.
Quote:
Are xan the best race? Overall they're on a par with, or slightly worse than terrans in my view.
But in a universe with very few caths/ziks xan probably have the edge - due to the prevalence of their favourite racial target.
In a universe that was largely zik (for example) xans would really struggle to get roids.

If you were in the channels for the private betas while i was actively working on the stats, you'd have seen that I was constantly pressurised by xan players that xans were too weak - and needed massively strengthening. If they'd had their way then xans really WOULD be overpowered.

Lots of self-proclaimed experts went around trumpetting how terrans were the best race by a mile - and 40% of players bought into it.

Think of it as a slightly complicated version of paper/scissors/stone. Most of the universe pulically said they were going stone (as shown by race % before ticks started and by the posts on AD). I advised 1up members who asked that if there were a lot of players choosing stone, paper may not be a bad idea.

Anyone who'd looked carefully at the stats and used the public beta to try out things - rather than as an attempt to get an irrelevant rank - could have worked out precisely the same thing. Whether they were involved in designing the stats or not.
I know terran is very strong against cath and zik. I picked them because I experienced that in the beta. I did not know what xan would have to offer. I didn't know what a Lancer was untill they were at my door at low eta (in the real round) and didn't see what they could do after I counted my losses. Don't tell me I could have worked this out between the release of the stats (hours before signup) and the actual start of the game. I did look at the figures. I just didn't see this comming. Most players didn't.
The problem is the stats are imbalanced. I knew that before tickstart. I know you are not the one to blame for that, I just wonder who is.
Unread 18 Jul 2004, 11:07   #19
General Martok
used to register

Gerbie, the immense advantages of the lancer were already in place in the earliest fase of the Beta. The stats were public in the beta, and barely changed after that (some armour/firepower thinies only afaik). So if you didn't know the stats, it's because you didn't pay enough attention.

quote of my race survey on the private rock forums (about xan):

+ Can roid Terran for free, large amouth of ppl will go terran.

That post was made on May 26th. The round started 4 weeks later.

-----

Last edited by General Martok; 20 Jul 2004 at 11:14.
Unread 20 Jul 2004, 00:50   #20
Melesse
The Nephilim

Melesse is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Martok
post mimicer
Sorry :-X

I just uh, wanted to look intelligent...that's right...intelligent.

I just got excited that I thought I knew something worthwhile, I didn't even scan the rest of the posts.

Melesse
Unread 21 Jul 2004, 17:40   #21
Sinn

Sinn is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbie
Xan have nice ships. They are the only one with fi pods and have very powerfull ships with good initiative. This resulted in a lot of Xans at the top.
A lot of Xans or on top because they were rumored to be the best race, so many people in large alliances picked them, which is a more likely reason they're on top than a lack of balance in stats. If there is one, it's minor at best. The stats are far from perfect but do not give one race a clear benefit over all others (they do give some races an advantage versus one or two other races perhaps, but i dont see how that's a bad thing). Do some battle calcing, you're likely to come up with various fleets for various races that can hit fi xans or fr/de xans effectively.

Xans *are* usually quite effective against terrans and since most people are terran that gives them an advantage in terms of the amount of targets available to them. So, perhaps it's reasonable to conclude that xans are on top not because the shipstats are badly balanced, but because there are too many terrans

The cumstain on the sheets of humanity
Sinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jul 2004, 19:01   #22
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: the Xand advantage...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinn
The stats are far from perfect but do not give one race a clear benefit over all others (they do give some races an advantage versus one or two other races perhaps, but i dont see how that's a bad thing).
Well, it's bad when a large majority of players pick one or two races.
Quote:
Xans *are* usually quite effective against terrans and since most people are terran that gives them an advantage in terms of the amount of targets available to them. So, perhaps it's reasonable to conclude that xans are on top not because the shipstats are badly balanced, but because there are too many terrans
I'm sorry, but if the stats require or assume that all races will be more-or-less equally represented for there to be balance, then the stats aren't balanced. Period. There's always a herd mentality in play and in just about every round one race or sometimes two gets picked way more often than the rest.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jul 2004, 19:19   #23
Gerbie
pe0n

Maybe they should close the signup for new terrans. The amount of terrans still seems to increase.
Unread 21 Jul 2004, 19:25   #24
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: the Xand advantage...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbie
Maybe they should close the signup for new terrans. The amount of terrans still seems to increase.
I see the race selection menu lists Terrans first. I guess that's slightly better than making them the default.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jul 2004, 07:00   #25
Gerbie
pe0n

Cath and zik can roid each other for free. How can cath and zik do that to a xan (other than by freezing/subbing a xan's entire fleet?
Unread 23 Jul 2004, 10:58   #26
Linkie
fanboy

Cath can easily roid xan with vipers+fr pods.

Unread 23 Jul 2004, 11:17   #27
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

Roaches+Mosquitoes+Vipers own all xans apart from ones with plety of Broads. Vipers+Cr own the ones with plenty of broads :}
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jul 2004, 11:23   #28
cypher
U've been Moderated

cypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant future

rofl a cath with same size as a xan can prolly own his entire fleet, providing the cath has half a brain.

just there's this little thing called defence on eta 10/9 which is in general easier then eta 8/9
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jul 2004, 11:23   #29
mazzelaar
Vitriolic

mazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriend

http://parser.visionhq.org/index.php...96720010dcc6b1

http://parser.visionhq.org/index.php...96720010dcc6b1

Had many more but they aren't in my news any more.

<@JBG> by the way is mazzelaar a community account that everyone in 1up logs into when they're feeling angry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBGood
mazzelaar has always reminded me of a hungry hungry hippo. Except instead of eating marbles he just bites the heads off new AD posters
mazzelaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jul 2004, 17:38   #30
rshih
Aaranaf's Master

rshih is just really nicershih is just really nicershih is just really nicershih is just really nicershih is just really nice

mazz is my hero
R3: nub R10: 12:9:1 to 9:7:3 G Rank #14 P Rank #194
R4: 275:6:13 R10.5: 17:9:9 quitter
R5: 4:8:4 to 35:11:x R11: 15:4:9 G Rank #10 P Rank #32
R6: 22:22:11 R12: 29:8:9
R7: 8:16:9 G Rank #52 R13: Forgot
R9: 52:6:5 for a week R14: Forgot
R9.5: 12:7:17 G Rank #17 R17: 14:3:6 G Rank #6 P Rank #9

[1up] Peon
rshih is offline   Reply With Quote