User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Strategic Discussions

Unread 9 Apr 2004, 23:52   #1
nucleiod

nucleiod is an unknown quantity at this point
Zikonian Fleet

Any tips on fleet composition for the Zikonian race?
nucleiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Apr 2004, 23:58   #2
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Zikonian Fleet

build scimitars
I have a bit of everything else too (no structure killers as getting XP is irrelevant). Just a few gladius though as you can't steal roids with Bs. Make sure you have enough scythes. Fighters are the only ships you can't kill on your own.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Apr 2004, 00:02   #3
nucleiod

nucleiod is an unknown quantity at this point

but what other ships are best to protect my roid ships?
nucleiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Apr 2004, 06:18   #4
Gerbie
pe0n

I build all other ships in equal amounts when recalculated to their cost. Subverters can subvert more ships then killers can kill, but subverting some enemy ships will not always deter enemies as this does not automaticly lead to damage. So I build both frig subverters and killers. I've chosen not to build Broadswords as they seem to lack firepower.

Relative quantities (in numbers) could be something like:
Dagger 50
Scythe 50
Rapier 9
Scimitar 8
Gladius 2
Claymore 1

Last edited by Gerbie; 10 Apr 2004 at 06:24.
Unread 10 Apr 2004, 13:53   #5
General Martok
used to register

General Martok has a spectacular aura aboutGeneral Martok has a spectacular aura about

For attacking you have various fleet compositions options.

Attacking other ziks: Attack with claymores (covert his rapiers), scimitars (duh) and gladious. Don't send Rapiers because they get converted by hostile claymores. If you have enough claymores to convert all his rapiers, you get free roids.
Against Cathaar: I would not focus your attention on them. Templars are a bitch to your frigs. Only templar-poor cathaars can be attacked without serious losses. Then send in broadswords (to freeze his few templars, you wont freeze them all since cathaar has tons of CR, but will lower your losses while you wont loose your broads), + a lot of frigates (make sure you have enough unfrozen scimitars to cap roids, you need 2 to cap 1 roid)
Against Terran: Terrans with a lot of Medusa aren't worth the trouble. If you find one with few Medusa (not very likely), send in gladious (covert his BS) + Claymore (convert his medusa) + Scimitar, and eventual Rapiers to make your attackfleet look more scary (target will run more likely).
Against Xan: Very hard, unless you can see their fleet in a recent newsscan. Most xan fleets have tons of sirtalis/elaphe + some vipers ofc (pod), quite a few eryx/morelia, and a smart xan has narcicus too. Attacking xan needs a fleet with LOTS of scythe, a nice bunch of gladious (to convert his Narcicus), scimitar ofc, and a few rapiers to kill his frigates (not needed, but target is less likely to get defence and will run faster).

I suggest concentrating on hitting other zikonians, and templar-poor cathaars.
Now the actual fleet composition (in numbers):

Scythe: 1500 (self defence against xan)
Dagger: 0 (sucks)
Rapiers: 200
Scimitar: 300 (yeah you need tons, they cap quite bad, but no alternative)
Gladious: 500 (against BS)
Broadsword: 100
Claymore: 100

I know this leaves you vulnerable against Cruisers, especially cathaar cruiser attacks. If your galaxy is inactive and your alliance cannot defend you, build a few daggers, even though they suck, and less broadswords. But a cathaar hates loosing ships, ans will probably look further if he sees your daggers. Your gladious prevent his stalswarts to freeze your daggers. Ofc a very big cathaar will get through, but no fleet composition stops a 2.5x as big attacker. This fleet is concentrated against frigate and battleships, with it there are plenty of targets out there to roid with low losses.

I dare others to comment on it. BTW my own fleet differs a bit from it (bit more rapiers/broadswords for alliance defence purposes). BTW Gerbie I think you build way too much fighters (esp daggers), and not nearly enough gladious and claymore. The dagger / broadsword option is a matter of priorities (attack or defence).
R1: ??:?? | R2: 51:6 | R3: 37:12 | R4: 186:13 | R5: 13:17 | R6: 1:25
R7: 15:14 | R8: 34:4 / 52:10 ¤ | R9: 16:2 | R9.5: 34:6 / 41:6 ¤
R10: 2:2 | R10.5: 15:4 | R11: 28:8 | R12: 22:9

Damn, outdated and too lazy to edit, retired now
-----
Started playing again Still too lazy to update though
General Martok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Apr 2004, 14:45   #6
Gerbie
pe0n

Good post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Martok
For attacking you have various fleet compositions options.

BTW Gerbie I think you build way too much fighters (esp daggers), and not nearly enough gladious and claymore. The dagger / broadsword option is a matter of priorities (attack or defence).
I'm in a random galaxy, so defence has my priority, hence I build daggers. Getting roids is easy, keeping them is not. I must say I in fact have slightly less fighters. and a tad more of the rest.
Unread 10 Apr 2004, 15:44   #7
General Martok
used to register

General Martok has a spectacular aura aboutGeneral Martok has a spectacular aura about

a handfull of claymores and scimi's own you though....

-----
Unread 10 Apr 2004, 21:39   #8
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I don't bother with claymores.

I originally went with the "Rapier + Scimitar" fleet. It's very effective, but limits you to hitting Terrans with about the same amount of Medusas/less Medusas than yourself, or Ziks with less Rapiers and no Claymores.

I've started building up a decent Scythe fleet now though.

Used it a couple of times on Xans who don't have any Narcisus, and a decent number of Sirtalis. The Scythes rip through the Sirtalis, and then those Sirtalis shoot the Xan's FI. Some Rapier for flak, and Scimitars follow in to mop up and get roidies
Unread 11 Apr 2004, 08:43   #9
Chika
Black Power MotherF*ckas!

Chika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to behold

Zik attack fleet.
To attack terran
CLAYMORE- SCIMITAR- GLADIUS Experience- Terran runs and if he stays bye bye medusas and some of his BS.

To attack ZIK-
CLAYMORE- SCIMITAR- GLADIUS Experience- Never send rapier on another Zik if he has even a few claymores. This will minimize ur losses also. I have roids other few claymore ziks like this. The Gladius are really just there for flak and to scare some defenders. They really don't do anything since claymores and glads are init 1.

To attack Cath-
Broads- Claymore- Scimitar- Rapier- glads- scythe- dagger Experience- Yes it is alot, but my cath targets, I get the least losses from. Broads subvert temps. Daggers rip a few extra cr for you, claymores subvert advocate if he is stupid enough to keep them there, rapier to kill extra advocate, scythe to subvert vanqs, glads to subvert stals. Again it seems like a lot, but it has worked for me, and all I mainly attack is cath. unless they have a significant amount of temps which has been rare for me. But I tend to send anyway, it will just be a few more losses. i won't have a flawless round.

To attack XAN.
Scythe- scimitars, glads. Experience- The more scythe the fewer loses. I have attacked xans and left with no losses and his entire fleet there. glads to sub whatever that BS is that kills fi's like mad. How many scythe do u need? About 600 of every 1000 xan fi's, and if u see from a news scan that he has a lot of elaphe, about 900 for every 1000. Sounds crazy, but its realistic. and doable.
Unread 11 Apr 2004, 10:16   #10
General Martok
used to register

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chika
Long post I cba quoting
Pretty much the same as what I use I see, except for cathaar.

Sending scythe to a cathaar is STUPID. Unless you convert ALL his fi, you increase your losses (banisher). And since the vanq fires at the same time as your scythe, it's no use converting them, they already fired. So If you send no scythe, he'll freeze the same number of your frigates, and his banishers ahve nothing to fire upon.....

-----
Unread 11 Apr 2004, 10:42   #11
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Martok
Pretty much the same as what I use I see, except for cathaar.

Sending scythe to a cathaar is STUPID.

Agree completely.

It's always been the same for Cath - you send a lot of one type of ship (two sometimes), most of it just being flak so he doesn't freeze your pods. Not a whole load of riff-raff, hoping to scare him into running away.
Unread 11 Apr 2004, 13:26   #12
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I just twatted a Cathaar's Fighters with Scythes
Unread 11 Apr 2004, 13:37   #13
General Martok
used to register

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
I just twatted a Cathaar's Fighters with Scythes
Luck ofcourse, lord of noobs :gollum:

-----
Unread 13 Apr 2004, 14:02   #14
Shaithess

Shaithess is an unknown quantity at this point

I've actually found that caths are easiest to hit... Normally I go rapier/scimitar/broadsword (Worst losses in an attack was 80 FR, I took 80~ roids and killed nearly 600 advocates with his own temps...). But if I'm facing a larger cath, A hit with everything the ziks have can be quite cool...

Broadswords knick his CRs, clays nick his advocates) Which then stun his templars...) whilst glads sub a few stalwarts, scythes absorb EMP and nick banishers (same ini as EMP), whilst daggers kill a few more temps. Work out the right mix, and I've often been able to take caths about 2/3rds or 3/4s my size with just half my fleet!
Shaithess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Apr 2004, 15:24   #15
Sun Pin

Sun Pin is an unknown quantity at this point

General Martok, how do you justify the need for 500 Gladius in that fleet? To me that seems like an awfull amount...care to explain the need of 500 per 1.k5 scythes ?
Please not that I'm a Zikonian n00b :P
Sun Pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Apr 2004, 15:34   #16
General Martok
used to register

To block terran Battleships, so you can roid terrans with frigs+claymores for (almost) free (depending on the number of medusa). And they are handy against Stalwart (so your daggers don't get frozen and they can kill cathaar Cruisers). I admit they are useless against another zikonian, except for flak ofcource (since sending rapiers to attack a zikionian would be dump (firing at its own ships)). Also very useful to freeze nasty narcicus.

-----
Unread 13 Apr 2004, 15:39   #17
Sun Pin

Sun Pin is an unknown quantity at this point

very true... so far I've been able to attack mainly targets with little/no BS...but i can see its uses (thank you)
Sun Pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Aug 2004, 03:15   #18
shadow_spy
The Caffienated One.

shadow_spy is just really niceshadow_spy is just really niceshadow_spy is just really niceshadow_spy is just really niceshadow_spy is just really nice

How do you get more ships???
What ships do Ziks have???
shadow_spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Aug 2004, 07:29   #19
Gerbie
pe0n

You get more ships by producing them (make sure you have the required factories and research). Use them to steal more roids -> more resources -> you can order more ships.

The zikonian ships are shown here.
http://jpaweb01.planetarion.com/stats.pl?rn=271730
Unread 17 Oct 2004, 12:56   #20
Agerus

Agerus can only hope to improve

I have the feeling Zik is pretty strong this round, they can own Xan and Terran quite easily from my impression.
Agerus is offline   Reply With Quote