User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 19 Jun 2010, 23:35   #1
Benneh
Non directed and witty

Benneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet society
Auto Logout

Its one of those features that just gets frustrating in my opinion.

Could it be changed so the length of the timeout can be changed/turned off (via preferences) .

For example changed to 4/6/12/24 hours or something? I mean maybe in the days of shared computers it was needed but now i don't see why? (unless im completely missing something)

I know its not a big deal, but its annoying to be waiting for a brep and then be confronted with the login screen and have to do that stupid bot stopper too..
Benneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jun 2010, 23:36   #2
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Auto Logout

I am pro this.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jun 2010, 00:21   #3
DeeJay

DeeJay is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree. Having to login every 2 hours it's just stupid.
DeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jun 2010, 00:29   #4
BlueArmy
EMO HC OF ASCENDANCY

BlueArmy will become famous soon enoughBlueArmy will become famous soon enough

Tis to stop ze botz

Ministry for life.
BlueArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jun 2010, 03:59   #5
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

12 hour time out would be great, then my bot could play whenever I went to sleep, and my alliance would never need another real scanner again!* Oh wait that would be cheating....

Longer timeouts would be great if no one ever cheated, so promise to stop cheating and maybe the PA Team will lengthen the timeout.

*Note, sarcasm....

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jun 2010, 11:13   #6
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

I have no problems with having a bot stopper. But personally for me 2 ticks is to much. 3 ticks would be fine with me
Unread 20 Jun 2010, 12:44   #7
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future

also pro removing/lenghtening auto logout

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jun 2010, 12:58   #8
ellonweb

ellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant future

The bot stopper is only limiting cheating as opposed to removing it. (There are people with code that can answer the bot checker; there are people using VNC.) Therefore, remove this imbalance and make it easy for everyone to cheat. Yes, I'm being serious, the case has been made many times that allowing "cheating", and thus an increase in planets, would be a good thing.

Also, remove the faggotry that is the auto logout.
ellonweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jun 2010, 13:04   #9
Benneh
Non directed and witty

Benneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
12 hour time out would be great, then my bot could play whenever I went to sleep, and my alliance would never need another real scanner again!* Oh wait that would be cheating....

Longer timeouts would be great if no one ever cheated, so promise to stop cheating and maybe the PA Team will lengthen the timeout.

*Note, sarcasm....

Lets be honest here the people who want to cheat in this game.. Do so already...

The bot stopper is years old, anyone who actually wants to code something to go through it, probably could. Its more of an annoyance to the rest of us than anything else, and id almost be happy if someone wanted to code a bot army, its not like it would be hard to detect and it would mean more planets than the 300 of us who play round on round.

Its annoying for example when logged in at work (using spreadsheet) and then suddenly bang, logged out and presented with a huge picture of a friggin planet . Pretty obvious!
Unread 20 Jun 2010, 13:47   #10
Nitz

Nitz is a name known to allNitz is a name known to allNitz is a name known to allNitz is a name known to allNitz is a name known to allNitz is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellonweb View Post
The bot stopper is only limiting cheating as opposed to removing it. (There are people with code that can answer the bot checker; there are people using VNC.) Therefore, remove this imbalance and make it easy for everyone to cheat. Yes, I'm being serious, the case has been made many times that allowing "cheating", and thus an increase in planets, would be a good thing.

Also, remove the faggotry that is the auto logout.
Was going to say this on another post, I would be very pro this as lets face it at least it would be something new and different even for one round. It would also give MH a round off from being better ruiners than ascendancy
Nitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jun 2010, 17:28   #11
Monroe

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benneh View Post
Lets be honest here the people who want to cheat in this game.. Do so already... with a huge picture of a friggin planet . Pretty obvious!
Brilliant piece of logic here, "because those who cheat already are cheating we should let everyone cheat." Boy someone give this to the government, they should stop making me pay my taxes because some get away with tax fraud, so I shouldn't have to pay either.....

Seriously though, I understand that the bot stopper is annoying, and perhaps can be beaten, but that isn't a good argument to get rid of it, it is actually a much better argument that it needs to be upgraded.

Anyone that is in favor of encouraging cheating must have been one of those guys who set up a server for (insert your favorite 1st person shooter), gave themselves God mode, and then simply spends his days laughing as he kills helpless newbies who can't hurt them. If that's what you want this game to become count me out!

#strategy
Unread 20 Jun 2010, 18:57   #12
Benneh
Non directed and witty

I dont see why you have suddenly turned this into a thread about cheating?
So suddenly because i want the auto timeout made longer i am encouraging cheating?

What i am saying is it is easy enough to cheat as it is, if people have cheating in mind they can already cheat without a problem, this method just is an annoyance for everyone else..

Last edited by Benneh; 20 Jun 2010 at 20:45. Reason: Fiery told me to...
Unread 20 Jun 2010, 19:01   #13
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Seriously though, I understand that the bot stopper is annoying, and perhaps can be beaten,
Has been beaten.

Quote:
Anyone that is in favor of encouraging cheating must have been one of those guys who set up a server for (insert your favorite 1st person shooter), gave themselves God mode, and then simply spends his days laughing as he kills helpless newbies who can't hurt them. If that's what you want this game to become count me out!
Wow. This is such a non-argument that I don't even know where to start.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 20 Jun 2010, 19:51   #14
Monroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benneh View Post
So suddenly because i want the auto timeout made longer i am encouraging cheating?
Having a significantly longer time out increases the chances people will cheat, prior to having the bot stopper bots were used by many players, since the bot stopper was added there has been a decrease in this. I fully acknowledge the bot stopper is weak, which is a good reason to strengthen it, or to come up with a completely different approach to dealing with cheaters in the game.

Using the argument that "people who are going to cheat are doing it anyway" is not a strong argument to remove the bot stopper or increase the time out.

One reasonable argument would be to length the timeout to say 4 hours and strengthen the bot stopper to a bot stopper that is much more effective. Or to just decide that 4 hours isn't a big deal verses 2 so just change the idle timeout.

A long timeout (anything over 8 hours) is easily abused using a bot, so I don't think it would be a good idea. I am NOT saying a short timeout or the current bot stopper stops cheating, I am saying that a long timeout increases the likelihood that people will cheat and should therefore be avoided.

#strategy
Unread 20 Jun 2010, 21:00   #15
Benneh
Non directed and witty

Well even 4 hours would be a good option in my opinion!
Unread 20 Jun 2010, 22:26   #16
DunkelGraf
Drunken Boozer

DunkelGraf is a splendid one to beholdDunkelGraf is a splendid one to beholdDunkelGraf is a splendid one to beholdDunkelGraf is a splendid one to beholdDunkelGraf is a splendid one to beholdDunkelGraf is a splendid one to beholdDunkelGraf is a splendid one to beholdDunkelGraf is a splendid one to behold

At least you notice after 2 ticks that someone in your gal has gone idle/off/away.....

! [ToT]-KC !

Äscendäncy, we got Penis inside!
DunkelGraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jun 2010, 12:47   #17
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

As I've said before - why not vary the chance of a CAPTCHA appearing and the duration of allowed login time according to the account? If a user is suspected of cheating then an admin could set the account to the most strict settings possible (2 hour and CAPTCHA 100% occurance).

If the activity of an account looks safe then there shouldn't be any need to question the user. If they're logged in for more than 16 hours a day, a high ranking planet, then set the chance of seeing the CAPTHCA to a certain percentage and the logout to 2 hours. I'm sure you could come up with some formula which doesn't annoy everyone.

Do what other games do - look for the behaviours of cheaters and punish them instead of annoying your entire playerbase.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jun 2010, 12:27   #18
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

Pleeeasseee increase it. Even a 4 hour logout is a huge improvement.
Unread 22 Jun 2010, 13:11   #19
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Paisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

*Note, sarcasm....
Totally on the nose there monroe.
could not agree more.
Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jun 2010, 13:51   #20
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Well, now that paisley has posted I'm sure we can all extrapolate that raising the auto logout time is in fact a great idea, and it should go up to once a day at most.
Unread 22 Jun 2010, 14:05   #21
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

The captcha is not really a serious deterrent to competent coders at all. If you're able to write a bot you're probably also capable of sitting down with image processing libraries and ocr software to beat it. Do not forget that the average player does not have the competence to sit down and write a bot in the first place. If bots were to become widespread it would ultimately be probably 1 implementation or maybe a couple that were used by multiple people.

I'd replace it with the official captcha and either increase the duration or make it a random chance to get the captcha on login (Though this obviously entails that repeated failures would have to be more extensively researched by the multihunter team).

Basically I envision a situation where you get timed out every x hours with some probability and then you have to pass the captcha (The one that's actually difficult to beat) to get back in. If you then can't get it right in a few attempts, you get temporarily closed or whatever. It'd be I think no less secure than the current situation and a lot less annoying.

Oh crap, I might be back. I should take my own advice.
qebab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jun 2010, 14:16   #22
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

One quick suggestion to help ease the pain.

If the math questions aren't going to be changed, add a javascript function which can calculate the text box input and then submit the form in one go. So if you've got "seventy four + 49" as the question, the user enters "74+49", clicks submit - javascript would analyse the input to see if one of the symbols + - * x / are in the input, calculates it client side and then submits it.

It would just be one of those small little things which could make a large impact in user satisfaction.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jun 2010, 14:23   #23
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Paisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood View Post
Well, now that paisley has posted I'm sure we can all extrapolate that raising the auto logout time is in fact a great idea, and it should go up to once a day at most.
I agree with a post made by monroe Pointing out a fairly simple points to WHY THERE IS AN AUTO LOG OUT IN THE FIRST PLACE. I'm not a fan of the auto log out either but it is there for a reason previously pointed out.

And just out of spite for you JBG ... I have no problems with the auto log out screen even if it means folk have difficulty reading the login questions through a VNC client to log in to their gal mates planet.
Unread 22 Jun 2010, 14:26   #24
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

It is a bot-stopper, not a VNC stopper. There really isn't any feasible way of stopping someone who really wants badly to account share as all the information sent between planetarion and a player is textual. Now you could portscan to show that it's possible that a client machine has a VNC service running but I don't know if that's very legal and it just proves the possible existence of a cheat, not that there actually is one. On the other hand you could work around that too by avoiding VNC entirely and still run a remote web browser that multiple people could connect to.

Bot-stopping is something else entirely and I think it's viable to do this without it being a huge annoyance for people.

Oh crap, I might be back. I should take my own advice.
qebab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jun 2010, 14:32   #25
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GReaper View Post
As I've said before - why not vary the chance of a CAPTCHA appearing and the duration of allowed login time according to the account? If a user is suspected of cheating then an admin could set the account to the most strict settings possible (2 hour and CAPTCHA 100% occurance).

If the activity of an account looks safe then there shouldn't be any need to question the user. If they're logged in for more than 16 hours a day, a high ranking planet, then set the chance of seeing the CAPTHCA to a certain percentage and the logout to 2 hours. I'm sure you could come up with some formula which doesn't annoy everyone.

Do what other games do - look for the behaviours of cheaters and punish them instead of annoying your entire playerbase.

worth exploring via testing and similar ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by qebab View Post
It is a bot-stopper,
I totally agree for why it is needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by qebab View Post
not a VNC stopper..
I didn't say it was a VNC stopper just more of annoyance.
Unread 22 Jun 2010, 14:54   #26
Cain
Awesome

Cain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant future

How about auto logout 1 minute after you login. That would surely restrict bots
Unread 22 Jun 2010, 15:48   #27
Pug

Pug can only hope to improve

Quote:

If the math questions aren't going to be changed, add a javascript function which can calculate the text box input and then submit the form in one go. So if you've got "seventy four + 49" as the question, the user enters "74+49", clicks submit - javascript would analyse the input to see if one of the symbols + - * x / are in the input, calculates it client side and then submits it.

It would just be one of those small little things which could make a large impact in user satisfaction.
I've heard this has already been done via chrome/ff extensions/grease monkey, so surely there's an easy one.
Pug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jun 2010, 16:02   #28
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:

Why they ever changed from "type this word" to "calculate this" is beyond me. Computers are calculators, for ****s sake, that's what they do!
Unread 28 Jun 2010, 08:09   #29
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

Is it just me or has the auto logout time been increased?
Unread 28 Jun 2010, 09:25   #30
Ave

Ave is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of light

Unread 28 Jun 2010, 09:32   #31
Mzyxptlk
mz.

It's just you.
Unread 28 Jun 2010, 11:07   #32
Sun_Tzu
Arrogant Fck

Sun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of light

I'll chime in so much as to say that the captcha's have not only been beaten, I'm told they were ridiculously easy to beat.

Do realize that there's only been a handful of bots, and the more famous were coded by some of the most brilliant professional codemonkeys around. Trying to create something which they couldn't bypass is pretty much a fine exercise in futility.

ps. Regarding the scanner example, isn't it about ****ing time we got rid of scanplanets? The solutions were ironed out more than half a decade ago ffs.