User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Strategic Discussions

Unread 27 Apr 2009, 22:14   #1
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Light has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond repute
Tick Plans Required

Hi everyone.

I'm in the middle of making a universal tickplan for every race/goverment and strategy you choose. Ive done the bulk of the work now and just need to input different research/construction strategys for each race.. (i.e. pure FI, FR/DE, CR/BS rush, etc).

So if you wouldnt mind, could you please write down your Race/Goverment and tickplan you used (with a brief description of the aim of the tickplan and if its unusually, why you went a certain way); So i can add them to my tickplan... (If its in excel or anything, you could just upload it including your race/goverment).

(If you dont want to share it with everyone this early, you can find me on netgamers IRC (nick Light) and PM me it..)

An example of what im after:
Quote:
Race: Cat
Gov: Unification
Pop: 25 Mining, 46 Research, 29 Construction
Res: HCT 1 -> Core 1 -> HCT 2 -> Hulls 1 -> TT 1 -> TT2 -> Infra (PT 72) -> HCT 3 -> TT 3 or Hulls 2
Cons: Res Lab -> Crystal Mine x 2 -> Light Factory x2 -> Res Lab -> Light Factory -> Medium Factory x 2 -> Light Factory
General Philosophy: Focus on a Fi/Co roiding fleet with Scorps and Widows as anti Cr/BS. Initiate until Tick 32 and then save for ships to attack PT 72. Initiate the amount of roids that pays off in 23 hours (won't be many) before you land. Some Magic Happens. You win Planetarion. You're welcome.
I suppose it should mention that you save the bonus to bail out of the inevitable but shit single fleet cr/bs incs you may have.
Obviously some of those details may be sensitive which you dont want other people to know yet.. If thats the case, then you can either PM it me and i promise i wont share that information with anyone (You could even get someone else to pm me it, so i dont even know who followed that plan) or if you wouldnt mind, keep the information handy and mid-round post it into this thread.

For anyone interested, here is the final 'initing roids' part of the calc:
http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/4264/roids.png *Note: that isnt the final colour scheme or final look*
(It allows people to choose race/goverment(and how many roids they want to init up to, like 250 or 300).. it also links into there chosen res/con strat for HCT research, ACE, finance centers/mines and auto updates.. It also allows people to turn ticks off when they are sleeping etc).
First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.

Last edited by Light; 27 Apr 2009 at 23:09.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Apr 2009, 00:19   #2
booji
a bucket

booji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to behold
Re: Tick Plans Required

okes for me, I did not have a plan thought out before the round, as with most experienced players I have a good idea of what I am doing so dont really need a complex plan.

This round:
Race: Xan
Govt: Feudalism
Pop: 25 mining, 50 research, 25 construction (was 29 construction/46 research until tick 7 to get the res lab done a tick quicker)
Res: HCT1 -> ACE -> HCT2 -> Hulls1 ->Inf1 (pt72)-> TT1 -> Hulls 2
Cons: res lab -> M Ref -> E Ref -> C Ref -> FC -> res lab -> L fact -> SC -> L fact
General Philosophy: Focus on Fi/co roiding fleet with bombers, have some fr too for joining teamups. bonus will be used when necessary or else around tick 150 on research (knowing me it will be on core if I dont need it for hulls) and resources.

Otterly an Otter.
booji is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Apr 2009, 01:40   #3
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Light has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond repute

Why did you go for Refinerys first? Is there a time when you should build refinerys? and a time when you should just spam Finance Centers? (i.e. how do you decide between the two)
First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.
Unread 28 Apr 2009, 01:58   #4
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light View Post
Why did you go for Refinerys first? Is there a time when you should build refinerys? and a time when you should just spam Finance Centers? (i.e. how do you decide between the two)
You build refinerys if your unsure if your gonna get over 800 roids in the round, but if your getting above 800 build FC.

You can switch at a point that you know you have a good galaxy, and only having 60 FC max limit helps.

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Apr 2009, 09:13   #5
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
i usually have about 10 of each refinery, which are most useful until you have over 1k roids, then Finance centres are more value for money.

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results."

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile"
[DW]Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Apr 2009, 15:20   #6
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

For the record the number of roids needed to make FCs more valuable is closer to 700 not 800, it depends on how many mines you have ironically as the FC bonus also impacts mines. I build a couple of mines early on to help boost early mining, as FCs are not effective for the first couple of weeks of the round (relative to mines). Also another reason to build mines if you have a particular resource you are always short on building a couple of extra mines of that type can help you balance out your resource production. FCs never serve that function.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Apr 2009, 17:33   #7
Patrikc

Patrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
For the record the number of roids needed to make FCs more valuable is closer to 700 not 800, it depends on how many mines you have ironically as the FC bonus also impacts mines.
Because your mining bonus also applies to Refineries, the number of roids needed to make FCs > Refs is closer to 1100, actually.
Patrikc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Apr 2009, 18:38   #8
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
For the record the number of roids needed to make FCs more valuable is closer to 700 not 800, it depends on how many mines you have ironically as the FC bonus also impacts mines. I build a couple of mines early on to help boost early mining, as FCs are not effective for the first couple of weeks of the round (relative to mines). Also another reason to build mines if you have a particular resource you are always short on building a couple of extra mines of that type can help you balance out your resource production. FCs never serve that function.
but if you're going to average over 700(or 800 or 1100) for the round, isnt it better to just spam FC's without refinerys? as you'll gain more resources in the longrun?
Unread 28 Apr 2009, 19:28   #9
Monroe

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrikc View Post
Because your mining bonus also applies to Refineries, the number of roids needed to make FCs > Refs is closer to 1100, actually.
Well but the FC bonus also applies to mines, so I personally favor a balanced approach. Mines early, then switch to FCs as the round progresses. The other thing you have to factor in is the cost of the construction verses its payoff time, which by about tick 800 or so becomes negative. Lots of challenges really.

#strategy
Unread 28 Apr 2009, 19:31   #10
Monroe

Quote:
but if you're going to average over 700(or 800 or 1100) for the round, isnt it better to just spam FC's without refinerys? as you'll gain more resources in the longrun?
The average player does not get to 800 roids for a consistent period in the round. For the top players you are absolutely right, but for anyone who is not a top player mines are actually a better investment in the long run. I have been arguing with people about this in the private forums who want to remove mines completely. What people tend to forget is that what is the best strategy for the biggest players is not generally the best strategy for those who are more middle of the road.

#strategy
Unread 28 Apr 2009, 20:25   #11
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

k, for mines or FC's.. I'm going to put in the option to choose how good a player you are (based on how many roids you expect to average).

still need more tickplans for each race/goverment
Unread 29 Apr 2009, 09:21   #12
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
k, for mines or FC's.. I'm going to put in the option to choose how good a player you are (based on how many roids you expect to average).

still need more tickplans for each race/goverment
Well i tend to get over 1k roids quite often, but if im in a rubbish gal ill find myself getting bashed a lot and the refineries keep me making at least a bit of income as ive lost all my roids. I'm not the worst player, but circumstances sometimes intervene.

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results."

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile"
[DW]Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Apr 2009, 10:52   #13
Zeyi
Tides of Fire

Zeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really nice

Light, you do realise people change their tick plans round to round based on stats/goverments/salvage/round length... so many things.

I can understand making a generic tickplan, but making lots of high detailed tick plans which will be useless in R32? Why, oh why!?
Unread 29 Apr 2009, 11:16   #14
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Let the woman do her thing, at least she ain't harming anyone with doing it. Yet.
Unread 29 Apr 2009, 12:26   #15
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeyi View Post
Light, you do realise people change their tick plans round to round based on stats/goverments/salvage/round length... so many things.

I can understand making a generic tickplan, but making lots of high detailed tick plans which will be useless in R32? Why, oh why!?
Thats why my tickplan works for every goverment and race... Offering you to pick your tickplan, it doesnt look at the stats and choose the best combo's, you still have to do that, then pick what you want Pure FI/FR-DE/CR-BS for the first night.

I dont see how round length alters your first 72ticks.

Im not making a generic tickplan, im making a tickplan which updates itself to your needs and shows you the best options.

Thats the whole point of my tickplan, you input your Race/Goverment/Init-To value(default/recommended 300)/class of ship you'd like for the first night/and what ticks you'll be offline.. Then it'll make you the most optimised tickplan for you.

Every round, in every alliance.. I always hear the same question "what do i research/construct at the start?".. So all im doing is giving everyone who wants it, a pretty good tickplan for whatever they want to do. Even if it doesnt give the 100% best start, it'll still be better than new players/inexperience players just guessing.

Last edited by Light; 29 Apr 2009 at 13:32.
Unread 29 Apr 2009, 14:21   #16
Zeyi
Tides of Fire

Zeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really nice

Cool, round length was more based around whether things like democracy are worth using, FCs over refineries, even what fleet you go for (and race).

I wasn't sure what it was you making but now you've explained it, it sounds better and more interesting than I thought you'd be capable of producing with your inferior PA knowledge
Unread 29 Apr 2009, 14:25   #17
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeyi View Post
Cool, round length was more based around whether things like democracy are worth using, FCs over refineries, even what fleet you go for (and race).

I wasn't sure what it was you making but now you've explained it, it sounds better and more interesting than I thought you'd be capable of producing with your inferior PA knowledge
For things like goverment, you have to input what goverment you plan on going.. However, i may implent a 'recommendation' for people who select that they are new players/inexperience which will choose between Uni/Feud.

For FC's/Refinerys, this again will come down to weither the person selects they are a inexperienced(or new)/good player... As there's no way i can predict that

Fleets and Race, the person has to choose.. but from that choice, the tickplan will auto-update and give them the best research/construction path for there choice (I.E. I want Pure FI/CO for tick 72, or i want to BS/CR Rush).

As far as my inferior PA knowledge... All i can say is... Ive had help

I just need as many 'normal' tickplans as possible, to make sure ive included every strat that people might go for (and research/construction paths, and what caused them to do something different).