User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 25 May 2005, 01:35   #1
ruudje

ruudje is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry open souce

I heard PA is an open source game, which means the source is freely downloadable and editable.
I cant find the source anywhere though. Does anyone know anything about that?
thnx
Unread 25 May 2005, 12:45   #2
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: open souce

You were told wrong. There are some clones, and I believe Deto PA was supposed to be open source, but it's not available (legitimately) due to trademark issues or somesuch.
Unread 25 May 2005, 13:05   #3
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

People have been trying to get the source for years. It's always changing anyway, older rounds were not archived.

I've not heard of this Deto PA queball? As you say there are lots of clones, was it anything decent?

I'm partially curious too on the trademark thing, cause I've been on & off development over the years on an open-source LAN orientated round 1/2 based PA clone.
djbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2005, 14:22   #4
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

I made a clone a few years ago (2002 I think) in ASP/MySQL. It was buggy and incomplete, but it kind of worked.
Here's the link to the original first upload.
Here's one I modified, though I have no idea how or what I modified.

In general a PA clone (the old one) isn't that hard to make (no offense to the devs tho). The concept itself is pretty straightforward and worked out and the implementation (apart from perhaps the battle ticker) can use pretty simple algorithms. It's just a tonne of boring webdevelopment work. A recent attempt at making another clone in PHP/MySQL that supported multiple instances failed because I couldn't be arsed with the boring webdev work.
Unread 26 May 2005, 02:31   #5
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbass
I've not heard of this Deto PA queball? As you say there are lots of clones, was it anything decent?
It's a long time ago. I think I played it and was underwhelmed. I just seem to remember it being open source.

Actually if you search on google for "deto planetarion" you get this:
http://www.twistd.org/detonator/projects.php, with Spinner's letter, if you can read Norwegian. :xmas:
Unread 26 May 2005, 04:24   #6
ph8
Banned

ph8 is on a distinguished road
Re: open source

You can make a game *LIKE* PA - we can't stop you doing that. But Planetarion itself - that includes exact text and all associated images/references are copyrighted. Under international law if you made a game called 'My Planetarion Rip Off' with all the same race names and slight variations on ship names we could sue for libel... We being the nice men in black suits from Jolt

ph8
ph8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 May 2005, 09:04   #7
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

Libel? I think not...
Unread 26 May 2005, 10:55   #8
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I was unaware that you could copyright a 'look' (though you could file for a design patent), and as long as you didn't have access to the source I can't see how making a clone that was called something sufficiently different from Planetarion would be illegal =( Even then, doesn't it require that Planetarion be a trademark?
Unread 26 May 2005, 11:48   #9
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

I think "stealing" the images would get you sued. But the look in itself, I doubt it.
Unread 26 May 2005, 15:20   #10
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
In general a PA clone (the old one) isn't that hard to make (no offense to the devs tho). The concept itself is pretty straightforward and worked out and the implementation (apart from perhaps the battle ticker) can use pretty simple algorithms. It's just a tonne of boring webdevelopment work. A recent attempt at making another clone in PHP/MySQL that supported multiple instances failed because I couldn't be arsed with the boring webdev work.
Well this is one area mine differs to most, it's in C with a proper tick engine. It's not meant to be the next PA or anything rather a proof of concept. I saw so many people wanting to know how PA ran and how to do something simular yet not one clone I've seen so far comes close to how the real thing operates.

The other purpose is a round 1/2 revival, so that those of us that have been around long enough to remember can have a game for nostalgic purposes. Once again this is not intended to be in any sort of competition with PA, rather because devs were not interested in a seperate game based on round 1/2 universe it's more of a fan project designed to enchance the popularity of PA.

I have enough source material archived including all original graphics, stats etc from rounds 1-4 to be able to make a reliable clone. However in light of ph8's comments it may be required to replace all the original material with something simular but not a likeness.
Unread 27 May 2005, 22:14   #11
ruudje

ruudje is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The other purpose is a round 1/2 revival, so that those of us that have been around long enough to remember can have a game for nostalgic purposes.
Now THAT is a great idea!!
I was looking for a round 9 or 10 though... I have an old round of PA. KillaH gave me, I edited it and now its much better but its old and doesnt have the race-things...
I wanted THE pa, not a rip off, or something like it... So thats not gonna happen... too bad
ciao
Unread 28 May 2005, 04:31   #12
djbass
mmm.. pills

Well no, you're not going to get the genuine item, and like I said you're not going to get an older variation either.

As for my own engine, I intend it to be moddable to suit other rounds, you only need to know the required stats from those rounds. I stopped playing after round 4 with only a brief encounter with the one other round inbetween so I'm not familier with later rounds. I was never a fan of the races, the balance just wasn't quite there to make them worth having.

It wont matter about not having the original source anyway, concept like SI said is really basic. I also had the opportunity back in the day to talk to Vish & Fudge about the inner workings of PA so I have a fairly solid idea.
Unread 30 May 2005, 21:38   #13
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Deto PA was pretty good, nice and simple - Im modding a version as we speak
Quote:
I'm partially curious too on the trademark thing, cause I've been on & off development over the years on an open-source LAN orientated round 1/2 based PA clone.
Deto PA actually had a LAN version as well as an Internet version
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jun 2005, 10:20   #14
djbass
mmm.. pills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudge
Deto PA was pretty good, nice and simple - Im modding a version as we speak

Deto PA actually had a LAN version as well as an Internet version
When I say LAN I only mean the default setup will be optimised for speed rounds with small numbers, but functionality wise it'll run in an internet environment as well without any aditional configuration.