User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 25 Jun 2003, 17:16   #1
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Probability Question

This is the question I liked the most from my STEP exam today.

Feel free to discuss it, or whatever.

In a rabbit warren, underground chambers A, B, C and D are at the vertices of a square, and burrows join A to B, B to C, C to D and D to A. Each of the chambers also has a tunnel to the surface. A rabbit finding itself in any chamber runs along one of the two burrows to a neighbouring chamber, or leaves the burrow through the tunnel to the surface. Each of these three possibilities is equally likely.

Let pa, pb, pc and pd be the probabilities of a rabbit leaving the burrow through the tunnel from chamber A, given it is currently in chamber A, B, C or D, respectively.

(i) Explain why pa = 1/3 + (1/3)pb + (1/3)pd.

(ii) Determine pa.

(iii) Find the probability that a rabbit which starts in chamber A does not visit chamber C, given that it eventually leaves the burrow through the tunnel in chamber A.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jun 2003, 17:18   #2
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend
Why were you doing a STEP exam?
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jun 2003, 17:24   #3
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Proteus
Why were you doing a STEP exam?
Doing STEP II and III so they can't argue with me changing to Maths.
Unread 25 Jun 2003, 17:26   #4
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
Doing STEP II and III so they can't argue with me changing to Maths.
Oh.

Sounds fun.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Unread 25 Jun 2003, 17:28   #5
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Oh.

Sounds fun.
I did III today, so the easy one's on Friday.
Unread 25 Jun 2003, 17:29   #6
Proteus
Lord Denning

Why are you changing to Maths?
Unread 25 Jun 2003, 17:31   #7
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Why are you changing to Maths?
No practicals, half the number of supervisions.
Unread 25 Jun 2003, 17:35   #8
Proteus
Lord Denning

Quote:
No practicals, half the number of supervisions.
That sounds like a very good reason.
Unread 25 Jun 2003, 17:39   #9
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Drunken walks are fun

err, that should be random walks shouldn't it?
Unread 25 Jun 2003, 18:09   #10
Bloomers III
Cute and cuddly

Bloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
That sounds like a very good reason.
oi i went to trinity on monday it was nice you posh git. there was a crazy woman at the Wren library entrance though
Unread 25 Jun 2003, 18:13   #11
Proteus
Lord Denning

Quote:
Originally posted by Bloomers III
oi i went to trinity on monday it was nice you posh git. there was a crazy woman at the Wren library entrance though
Everyone who works in the Library is crazy.

And yes, Trinity is nice.
Unread 25 Jun 2003, 20:08   #12
the dying puppy
Banned

the dying puppy is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't like "Probability Question". Probability has nothing to do with math or science, it's all matter of luck.
Sadly, there is absolutely nothing rabbit can do to improve his luck. In fact, there's nothing anybody can to to improve their luck. At least not without tearing asunder the very fabric of the Universe.
the dying puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jun 2003, 20:31   #13
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Starbucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Quote:
My faince from yesterday
I got a job in a library!
yup
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jun 2003, 20:33   #14
W
Gubbish

Quote:
Originally posted by the dying puppy
I don't like "Probability Question". Probability has nothing to do with math or science, it's all matter of luck.
Sadly, there is absolutely nothing rabbit can do to improve his luck. In fact, there's nothing anybody can to to improve their luck. At least not without tearing asunder the very fabric of the Universe.
Eh, surely the rabbit can go wherever he wants? How is his movements determined by luck?
Unread 25 Jun 2003, 20:45   #15
huh
WHY DID YOU PUSH GRANDMA

huh is an unknown quantity at this point
The rabbit has already chosen his path. There is only one answer fools.
huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jun 2003, 21:00   #16
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
Quote:
Originally posted by huh
The question is, would the rabbit still have gone out at A if I hadn't said anything?
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jun 2003, 21:16   #17
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by huh
But we don't know it.

Empirically, it's the same.
Unread 25 Jun 2003, 21:47   #18
the dying puppy
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by W
Eh, surely the rabbit can go wherever he wants? How is his movements determined by luck?
sure he can go wherever he wants, but where he ends up to be is up to his "luck".
Unread 25 Jun 2003, 21:52   #19
W
Gubbish

Quote:
sure he can go wherever he wants, but where he ends up to be is up to his "luck".
Nonsense, where he ends up is up to his actions. "Oh gee, I was lucky that I bought that burger!"
Unread 25 Jun 2003, 21:57   #20
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
You're talking rubbish.

Get out of my thread.
Unread 25 Jun 2003, 22:04   #21
the dying puppy
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by W
Nonsense, where he ends up is up to his actions. "Oh gee, I was lucky that I bought that burger!"
"Ohh gee, I'm so lucky that after choosing chamber A, I end up in shiny chamber B, just where I wanted to be"
See?
Unread 25 Jun 2003, 22:08   #22
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
"Ohh gee, I'm so lucky that after choosing chamber A, I end up in shiny chamber B, just where I wanted to be"
See?
I told you to GET OUT OF MY THREAD
Unread 25 Jun 2003, 22:09   #23
the dying puppy
Banned

Quote:
You're talking rubbish.

Get out of my thread.
I have a comment on that too, but I will have to get back to you later on that one.
See, you are very lucky Al, luck. Because unfortunately I have to leave right now..
Unread 25 Jun 2003, 22:13   #24
Banana Man
Me

Banana Man is an unknown quantity at this point
I have had nightnmares about maths questions like that
Unread 26 Jun 2003, 00:41   #25
huh
WHY DID YOU PUSH GRANDMA

huh is an unknown quantity at this point
I was quite sure I made a second reply to this thread.

anger++
huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jun 2003, 10:18   #26
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:

And yes, Trinity is nice.

anyone who works in any library is crazy, trust me, i know cos thats my job \o/
Unread 26 Jun 2003, 17:18   #27
the dying puppy
Banned

I guess MrL_JaKiri aren't so lucky today. He still without the answer to his very unlucky question.
Better luck next life!
Unread 26 Jun 2003, 17:30   #28
W
Gubbish

Quote:
I guess MrL_JaKiri aren't so lucky today. He still without the answer to his very unlucky question.
Better luck next life!
Eh? You mean he didn't answer this question on his examn? Why do you think so? Of course he has the answer, he's not stupid like you.
Unread 26 Jun 2003, 18:12   #29
the dying puppy
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by W
Eh? You mean he didn't answer this question on his examn? Why do you think so? Of course he has the answer, he's not stupid like you.
I'm sure he did answer on his question on exam, but nobody answerd his question in here.See?

p.s. I'm not stupid! I'm special.
Unread 26 Jun 2003, 18:58   #30
W
Gubbish

Quote:
I'm sure he did answer on his question on exam, but nobody answerd his question in here.See?

p.s. I'm not stupid! I'm special.
It wasn't his question at all. And why would anyone answer it?
Unread 26 Jun 2003, 19:01   #31
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Better luck next life!
I posted it so people who like this kind of thing could attempt it, not to see if I got it right.

I know I got it right.
Unread 26 Jun 2003, 19:02   #32
Nusselt
share the <3

Nusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better place
oi look at your pms
Nusselt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jun 2003, 19:07   #33
the dying puppy
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by W
It wasn't his question at all. And why would anyone answer it?
Oh, I don't know, I haven't read the whole thing. Complicated things always hurting my brain, so I don't even bother read 'em.
Unread 26 Jun 2003, 19:17   #34
the dying puppy
Banned

Seriously though, MrL can you explain how it works?
Unread 26 Jun 2003, 19:21   #35
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by Nusselt
oi look at your pms
Replied.
Unread 26 Jun 2003, 19:21   #36
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Seriously though, MrL can you explain how it works?
I can.
Unread 26 Jun 2003, 19:23   #37
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
I get:
(i) it's obvious
(ii) 7/15
(iii) 45/49
Not checked though.
I didn't do this question, and I didn't do well at all . How did you do?
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jun 2003, 19:24   #38
the dying puppy
Banned

Quote:
I can.
I want to know.
Unread 26 Jun 2003, 19:27   #39
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by queball
I get:
(i) it's obvious
(ii) 7/15
(iii) 45/49
Not checked though.
I didn't do this question, and I didn't do well at all . How did you do?
i yes
ii no
iii no

I did 1, 3, 5, 7, 8 (I don't like the mechanics one, so I gave up doing all the odd numbers) and 13.

II tomorrow!
Unread 27 Jun 2003, 11:44   #40
Cyp
∞+♪˛

Cyp is an unknown quantity at this point
Code:
|  0  |   |  0  1/3  0  1/3  0   0   0   0  |&infin; |  1  |
|  0  |   | 1/3  0  1/3  0   0   0   0   0  |   |  0  |
|  0  |   |  0  1/3  0  1/3  0   0   0   0  |   |  0  |
|  0  | = | 1/3  0  1/3  0   0   0   0   0  | * |  0  |
|  pa |   | 1/3  0   0   0   1   0   0   0  |   |  0  |